Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
fav human ancestor/hominin relative
This poll is closed.
Homo neanderthalensis 18 9.18%
Homo erectus 22 11.22%
Homo habilis 8 4.08%
Australopithecus afarensis 12 6.12%
Sahelanthropus tchadensis 11 5.61%
Ardipithecus ramidus 7 3.57%
Australopithecus bahrelghazali 7 3.57%
Homo floresiensis 12 6.12%
Homo naledi 10 5.10%
Kenyanthropus platyops 7 3.57%
ur mom op 59 30.10%
op 23 11.73%
Total: 106 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

i sent my spit sample this morning in the mail and it should be at the lab for processing by the end of the week. I could have been onto step 2 by now but USPS lost my first sample that I sent like 3 weeks ago. I'm fully expecting to see some results by like December because based on what the official website and reddit says. I'd be more peeved by this, but because I was sadbrains in highschool I got the $200 kit for free by going through their research program. At the very least I wanna see if im anything else other than full hispanic. my lineage gets really murky once I get to the relatives that crossed US-MX border back in 1900. grandparents on both sides of my family mention native american blood but I really doubt it tbh. we'll see though!

so who else is in on this? were you impressed? did you find out that you're some other ethnicity or that you have a history of wet butt disease or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Twenty three year olds huh?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I did this and found out I'm 20% North African so now I'm a proud black man

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Tolkien minority posted:

Wouldn't that be Berber, not black?

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I feel weird about doing this sort of thing, but people who do it seem to like it.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
They got mad when I sent my sperm sample in. Not sure what went wrong.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought they just scanned you to say which types of cancer you were more predisposed to get.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
According to the test results, my ancestry contains wintergreen and acacia

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Backweb posted:

Wouldn't that be Berber, not black?

Well either way I can smugly say I'm African American while lookin like a total retard but being technically correct

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
They contacted the Maury Povich show on my behalf, so that can't be good.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I did this for my dogs, OP. More interesting than humans

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

counterfeitsaint posted:

I thought they just scanned you to say which types of cancer you were more predisposed to get.

They do that too. For 100 bucks they track your lineage. For 100 more they give you the medical rundown. You can opt out of hearing stuff like “early onset dementia” or other live shattering things which is kinda a relief

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I also found out I'm nearly guaranteed to go bald by 30 but literally every male in my family is bald so it wasn't much of a revelation

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I really want to find out exactly how white I am but I don't want San Franciscan hellworld tech barons harvesting my genetic data and then denying my children healthcare unto the twelfth generation

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Spagghentleman posted:

They got mad when I sent my sperm sample in. Not sure what went wrong.
you should have brushed your teeth

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Tolkien minority posted:

Well either way I can smugly say I'm African American while lookin like a total retard but being technically correct

Sweet. Happy for you.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Harald posted:

Hahaha

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

im 51% bulbasaur

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Harald posted:

:drat:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Tolkien minority posted:

I clocked 5% N African and am claiming same . Also probable 1% Jew

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
they would be cool if they didn't log your DNA with the federal government sure

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
my sister did this so now this company has a bunch of my genetic information THANKS SIS

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I am extremely Northern European (Scotch Irish trash people to hear my dad tell it) with their speculative analysis showing <1% of west African. I assume that it was a loving consensual relationship.

I have more Neanderthal than like 80% of the people tested. lovely rear end cave man.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
I got my results recently and found out I am 100% European. Family legend is that we have several Native American ancestors, despite being white as all hell. My dad’s real mad that he can no longer try to get those sweet government tribal benefits.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

buglord posted:

At the very least I wanna see if im anything else other than full hispanic. my lineage gets really murky once I get to the relatives that crossed US-MX border back in 1900. grandparents on both sides of my family mention native american blood but I really doubt it tbh. we'll see though!

If you're Hispanic, then you're Native American. With a completely hispanic background, you'll show as a minimum 20% "Native American" on the test, probably more like 30%, though some show more like 60%. The indigenous peoples of Central America aren't distinguishable from the indigenous peoples of North America, at least, not on the kinds of DNA tests we have nowadays.

One of the things that never stops entertaining me about 23andMe/Ancestry DNA tests is that all the whitest white folks are shocked and indignant that they aren't 20% Cherokee, and all the folks with Mexican ancestry are shocked (but not usually indignant) that they aren't 100% European.

As an additional funny note, there was a woman who tested who had been adopted. Her adoption papers said her father was half Indian. She had a darker-than-white skintone, and spent her whole life thinking she was 1/4 Native American. 23andMe test showed her father was the other kind of Indian. The kind from India. Fortunately she had a sense of humor about it and even said "I spent my entire life thinking I was the wrong kind of Indian!"

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
I spit in the tube. It said I'm white but might have brushed up against a native american at some point (0.6%)

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

my brother got tested and for the most part it wasnt surprising i'm mostly spanish and irish but i'm also part sub saharan african, north african, turkish, jewish diaspora and 3 kinds of indian one being actually from india

also i'm never going bald and not at risk for cancer, heart disease, dementia or that kind of poo poo. grandparents on both sides were happy and healthy into their 90s one still going even

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Recently did this actually and turns out I'm 50% likely to get Alzheimer's

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

buglord posted:

At the very least I wanna see if im anything else other than full hispanic.

Racist.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

RaceBannon posted:

I spit in the tube. It said I'm white but might have brushed up against a native american at some point (0.6%)

You can be a proud 1/200 Cherokee

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

You can be a proud 1/200 Cherokee

just like every other cherokee

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

extra stout posted:

they would be cool if they didn't log your DNA with the federal government sure

why would the federal government want single nucleotide polymorphisms in their database of short tandem repeats

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

99.9% Northern Euro, that 0.1% is, apparently, Yakut. Whatever the gently caress that is.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Goodpancakes posted:

99.9% Northern Euro, that 0.1% is, apparently, Yakut. Whatever the gently caress that is.

most neo nazis would kill for your racial makeup

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

One of your distant ancestors was impregnated with probiotic yoghurt.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I recently met someone who has made a big effort to “rediscover” their Indian roots after finding out 2 years ago that she had one ancestor circa 1795 that married a Native American woman on the east coast

They now claim to be Red River Métis despite zero ties or evidence

It’s honestly really annoying hearing her go on about it because she is so painfully and irredeemably white

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Goodpancakes posted:

0.2% or less is typically not real (people refer to it as "noise"). You're just white.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Recently did this actually and turns out I'm 50% likely to get Alzheimer's

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Goodpancakes posted:

that's the bad guy from nation of islam he invented white people on an island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I did it and found out I’m jeb bush

• Locked thread