Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Crashing Ryzen update:

I took the computer apart and dusted off all the components - which were clean anyway, since I thoroughly dusted them off a few months ago when I first built the system, but figured that it can't do any harm. Then put everything back together, zerofilled the drives and reinstalled everything from the ground up.... and the system is now bulletproof. I don't get it. I know we've come a long way since the DLL hell days of Win9x, but sometimes the guy's gotta wonder, as I have no rational explanation for this. Hooray I guess? :)

May have been as simple as a one component being a little loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I would guess the memory or your GPU wasn't fully socketed in.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes your computer just pines for you to touch it, deeply and in all the places. :blush:

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
Well I got my 1700(asrock taichi, g.skill flare x 3200, 1080ti) going, exciting times.

Coming from a 3570k I was expecting about the same performance, maybe a bit worse singlethread. I finally got around to some basic overclocking and benchmarking and my results are mixed.
I got up to 3.5GHz @ 1.1875, 3.7 @ 1.225, 3.9 @ 1.28ish with small gains, so 3.7 for now.

What's weird though is that I seem to be scoring worse on the "graphics" tests in 3dmark 12 compared to my i5. It might just be the video card clocks, new version of GPU tweak is nanny locked at 125/550 but I never noticed a huge performance difference from VRAM clocks anyway. Any other 3d point nerds that could shed some light?

Unigine Heaven (extreme preset but fullscreen 1600x1200)
r7 1700
3.0ghz, 2400, stock video - score 3187 avg 126.5
3.7ghz, 2933, stock video - score 4222 avg 167.1
3.7ghz, 2933, +113/550 - score 4340 avg 172.3

i5 3570k 4.5ghz 1600, +113/840 - score 3877 avg 153.9

3dmark 12 firestrike (freemium version)
r7 1700
3.0 2400 stock video - score 18889, graphics 22 542, physics 17851, combined 8877
3.7 2933 +125/550 - score 21388, graphics 25266, physics 20853, combined 10124

i5 3570k 4.5ghz, 1600, +113/920 - score 18512, graphics 31268, physics 8507, combined 8065

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 3, 2017

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Any thoughts on the 1300x? I have pretty modest needs and plan to pair it with a 1050ti. I've been running a 955+gtx550 for about 7/8 years now and it's been just fine for the games I play at 1680x1050. Would it be worth a lower clockspeed in exchange for hyperthreading? I just built a computer for my mother for a workstation with the 1600 but I don't think I really need that many cores/threads for what I guess is now low resolution gaming more or less.

Darth Llama fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 3, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The 1300x is pretty comparable to a couple years old i5, maybe even a bit faster. Hell of a good deal in my opinion.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Darth Llama posted:

Any thoughts on the 1300x? I have pretty modest needs and plan to pair it with a 1050ti. I've been running a 955+gtx550 for about 7/8 years now and it's been just fine for the games I play at 1680x1050. Would it be worth a lower clockspeed in exchange for hyperthreading? I just built a computer for my mother for a workstation with the 1600 but I don't think I really need that many cores/threads for what I guess is now low resolution gaming more or less.
You really might as well get an i3 instead, i3s are quad core now. Intel single threaded speed is still king for gaming, for better or for worse.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

You really might as well get an i3 instead, i3s are quad core now. Intel single threaded speed is still king for gaming, for better or for worse.

Yeah the 8100 looks to be just a tad faster but I'd be spending at least $50 more on a motherboard most likely.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Darth Llama posted:

Yeah the 8100 looks to be just a tad faster but I'd be spending at least $50 more on a motherboard most likely.

The 1300X is unlocked too, so clock it a bit.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I thought over locking the 1200 was the pro move on that one. Also, you have a lot of upwards mobility since new CPUs will be up for AM4 for a few more years, where Intel ditches the socket every upgrade.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

NewFatMike posted:

I thought over locking the 1200 was the pro move on that one. Also, you have a lot of upwards mobility since new CPUs will be up for AM4 for a few more years, where Intel ditches the socket every upgrade.

Just a reminder that there are Z390 boards incoming that will support 8 core processors Z370/H370/B360 boards won't.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

The counterpoint to this is that the rate of CPU change has made it so that you only upgrade every 5 or more years, in which case you're ready for a new motherboard for several reasons by the time you want to upgrade your CPU.

eames
May 9, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

Just a reminder that there are Z390 boards incoming that will support 8 core processors Z370/H370/B360 boards won't.

Source?
Z370 boards were designed to support octocore coffee lake (according to der8auer at the german Asus Z370 launch event)

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

eames posted:

Source?
Z370 boards were designed to support octocore coffee lake (according to der8auer at the german Asus Z370 launch event)

Hmm, a quick check again and it seems Eurocoms post indicates Z390 will support 8C chips but doesn't really say Z370 won't. I'm not sure why Z390 needs to exist except for that reason though?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

Hmm, a quick check again and it seems Eurocoms post indicates Z390 will support 8C chips but doesn't really say Z370 won't. I'm not sure why Z390 needs to exist except for that reason though?

Z390 has some pretty significant I/O upgrades, they're fully integrating USB3.1gen2, 802.11ac WiFi and SDXC 3.0, upgrading the audio DSP, adding new power states and adding support for the next gen external TB3 controller.

It has plenty of reason to exist even if 8C chips aren't exclusive to it.

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 3, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

O/T for this thread but Z370 is just Z170/Z270 with a different pinout to support more GND/VCC pins for higher currents. That allowed them to launch CFL early to kill Ryzen sales before the refresh. Z390 will bring some features like WiFi and yet another new USB 3.1 gen 2 on the chip but AFAIK it's no new chipset, just another Z370 with new features.

It was widely believed that the 8 core SKU next summer would be Ice Lake and thus Z390+ only, but the various "insiders" like der8auer stated outright that the upcoming 8C will be CFL-S. It's looking quite likely that Ice Lake will launch with a new 400-series chipset. :doh:

fake edit: beaten

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

and z470 will not work with CFL and ice lake will not work with Z370

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Darth Llama posted:

I guess this is where the value of the 5 year plan for am4 comes up, because if you wanted to upgrade later your motherboard will still receive support and new cpus.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Twerk from Home posted:

The counterpoint to this is that the rate of CPU change has made it so that you only upgrade every 5 or more years, in which case you're ready for a new motherboard for several reasons by the time you want to upgrade your CPU.

Well yea, but more board longevity would be good, perhaps 5 years is too long for a socket but .......

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Further details on the Raven Ridge x360 are out, one thing I thought was particularly exciting:

Tech Report posted:

The Ryzen machine has a Thunderbolt 3-enabled USB Type-C connector in its port cluster

Starts at $699 for 8GB dual channel DDR4 and 1TB HDD, I'm really excited to see how it does once it's out.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

NewFatMike posted:

Further details on the Raven Ridge x360 are out, one thing I thought was particularly exciting:

Starts at $699 for 8GB dual channel DDR4 and 1TB HDD, I'm really excited to see how it does once it's out.
256gb ssd (OEM toshiba) is $50 more so effectively $750

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
A loving hdd in 2017 way to shoot yourself in the brain and

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I agree, SSD >>>> HDD, Envy products aren't great in general, and the existing Bristol Ridge versions didn't get too great marks from the body, but a real life product running the platform is exciting.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Yeah there something definitely ain't right with this ASUS mobo. A few days ago the rear green audio jack stopped working right; I lost left audio channel. Booted up in Linux and confirmed that it's definitely a hardware issue - only the right channel has audio output. I solved the problem the ghetto way, routed the audio cable to the front phones jack which works normally :haw: and fixed up the audio extension cable to the side of the cabinet with sticky tape so that it doesn't flail around :haw:

I'm not going to RMA the board for the time being, even though I have every reason to do so. I'll have it replaced if it develops more problems or otherwise, in the spring - because the replacement board will probably be a never hardware revision that will run better than this rinky-dink early 1.0 revision. :haw:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Holy poo poo the AMD Intel mobile chip collaboration is real:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-intel-gpu-emib-soc,35852.html

Vega mobile MCM on Coffee Lake mobile CPUs with HBM2.

C'mon sweet sweet professional laptops with 3D capabilities.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Coffee lake means soon, right? Like 1H 2018?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

NewFatMike posted:

Maybe AMD wants access to EMIB? This could further reduce the cost of everything AMD wants to do, and maybe they'll be able to spin EMIB into the solution for Navi?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
:vince: if this thing isn't supposed to compete with Ryzen mobile, what could its intended use possibly be? NUCs with no AMD branding on them at all?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It's for larger TDP chips than the 15W that Ryzen mobile is sitting at, I believe... more of the "mobile workstation" kind of thing.

Would make a killer SFF desktop too, good Skull Canyon successor.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dell please XPS 15 6C with Freesync 2 Vega and HBM, I will be forever horny.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Vega eh? Looking forward to all the scalded junk lawsuits.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

NewFatMike posted:

Dell please XPS 15 6C with Freesync 2 Vega and HBM, I will be forever horny.

Not enough Vega shaders though. For your car analogy, there's no replacement for displacement in this case.

I suspect they'll get to the RX 560 4GB level, maybe a bit more with all that sweet sweet bandwidth - which would still be the most powerful "integrated graphics" ever and impressive for the power envelope.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And, most importantly, 2/4 GB stacks of HBM2 would be an achievable amount of HBM.

6/8/more GB stacks are a pipe dream at this point, without ramped production starting six months ago.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Seamonster posted:

Not enough Vega shaders though. For your car analogy, there's no replacement for displacement in this case.

I suspect they'll get to the RX 560 4GB level, maybe a bit more with all that sweet sweet bandwidth - which would still be the most powerful "integrated graphics" ever and impressive for the power envelope.

I'll take super low wattage RX 560 performance, though. That'll be plenty for 1080p30+ medium settings. It'll likely be a side grade from what I've got.

Salt now, salt later, etc, but WCCFTech are saying 24CUs/4GB HBM.

https://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lake-g-series-integrated-radeon-gpus-first-benchmarks-specifications/

Edit so I don't double post from the GPU thread:

NewFatMike posted:

Skimming along on the still neat story from today:

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-Announces-New-CPUs-Integrating-AMD-Radeon-Graphics

The graph that grabs my grundle:

Trailing a 7700HQ + 1060 is right where I'd want it to be - but I am curious to see how Raven Ridge stacks up. Looking like some kind of Polaris flavor inside is true, so maybe a 45W RR SKU will be competitive.

Neat!

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 7, 2017

3peat
May 6, 2010

Guys.... GUYS!!...

Buy AMD rig.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Most people don't think a lot about Intel hiring settlers for design work, you probably don't, but for some people their consciences and infinitesimal culpability nags and eats at them. Buying AMD, for those people, is a way to achieve what you've already achieved: not having to consider politics when they look at their computer cases. Let it be.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD has an R&D facility in Tel Aviv. So, thats dumb.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Oh yeah? Didn't know that, thanks. Guess it's VIA and Matrox for the BDSers!!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You'll probably have to stop using drat near any modern convenience if that's your metric for ethics, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
This is like boycotting computers because they have parts made in China.