Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ultravoices posted:

There is a lot of useful stuff sort of squirreled away in the methods. str.format() does all the heavy lifting but it's not obvious, you have to read examples or the docs.

pythons docs are p decent but i dont think ive read much of them except io stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

gonadic io posted:

on the other hand, "declarative" is one of the words that's used by fart-huffers too so as soon as you see something like "declarative minimal embedded dsl" then it's time to start being a little sceptical.

hey tef, does your bullshit programming dictionary have "embedded" in it?

link to the bullshit programming dictionary? I want to see the entry for "lightweight"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

NihilCredo posted:

link to the bullshit programming dictionary? I want to see the entry for "lightweight"

i found it, the original one anyway:

https://programmingisterrible.com/post/65781074112/devils-dictionary-of-programming posted:

simple — It solves my use case.

opinionated — I don’t believe that your use case exists.

elegant — The only use case is making me feel smart.

lightweight — I don’t understand the use-cases the alternatives solve.

configurable — It’s your job to make it usable.

minimal — You’re going to have to write more code than I did to make it useful.

util — A collection of wrappers around the standard library, battle worn, and copy-pasted from last weeks project into next weeks.

dsl — A domain specific language, where code is written in one language and errors are given in another.

framework — A product with the business logic removed, but all of the assumptions left in.

documented —There are podcasts, screencasts and answers on stack overflow.

startup — A business without a business plan.

hackday — A competition where the entry fee is sleep deprivation and the prize is vendor lock in.

entrepreneur — One who sets out to provide a return on investment.

serial entrepreneur — One who has yet to provide a return on investment.

disrupt — To overcome any legal, social, or moral barrier to profit.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
that's mostly filler for the definition of framework

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

pythons docs are p decent but i dont think ive read much of them except io stuff

itertools, functools in the docs & sentdex and raymond hettinger's videos on youtube were very helpful for me.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

gonadic io posted:

just lol. who gives a gently caress, nothing means anything.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ultravoices posted:

itertools, functools in the docs & sentdex and raymond hettinger's videos on youtube were very helpful for me.

itertools is p cool but i haven't found much use to it (since all i do is numpy, mpl, scipy core, and now pandas). i guess i should reskim some docs at least now that i likely have to babysit development of a "flask" app in all stages

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

St Evan Echoes posted:

pls tell if this was an autocorrect so i know whether to lol or tut

mongodb -> came from mongo from blazing sadals -> probably came from the word "mongoloid"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

okay this is some magical bullshit i'm not liking

Python code:
import dash
from dash.dependencies import Input, Output
import dash_core_components as dcc
import dash_html_components as html

app = dash.Dash()

app.layout = html.Div([
    dcc.Input(id='my-id', value='initial value', type="text"),
    html.Div(id='my-div')
])

@app.callback(
    Output(component_id='my-div', component_property='children'),
    [Input(component_id='my-id', component_property='value')]
)
def update_output_div(input_value):
    return 'You\'ve entered "{}"'.format(input_value)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    app.run_server()
the update_output_div method doesn't get used anywhere explicitly yet it works

e: from https://plot.ly/dash/getting-started-part-2

e2: nevermind im idiot, the callback decorator decorates the function :cripes:

i really need to find some way to get more python into my daily workflow since im starting to miss really stupid things after just sitting with r and non-coding duties for bunch of months

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 3, 2017

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
ya its the decorators mate

for example the pyramid web framework does this to signify views

i'd recommend making a toy app in pyramid after you get used to the flask basics btw, it is a lot more powerful than flask and a nice framework to work with mostly

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

ya its the decorators mate

for example the pyramid web framework does this to signify views

i'd recommend making a toy app in pyramid after you get used to the flask basics btw, it is a lot more powerful than flask and a nice framework to work with mostly

ya i decorate my shite as static etc too. normally i would check pyramid, but this is so far a one off thing that i don't have too much time for, and won't even code it (just ~manage~), so im going through tutorials/refs to see what's up and if we can let this slide instead of r shiny which i really don't want to see.

also i don't think i'm seeing much of flask bits either, it's all abstracted to reasonably neat api so that analyticians can push their poo poo to web, which is just what we need - get 3 ppt presentations online and self-updating, based on already written sql queries, while we come to point where bi people are hired and stacks of money are dropped on tableau/qlik/power bi

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pyramid might be something i can toy with later, but my free time and job time for loving around are both turbofucked until new year i think

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

speaking of getting more python, if we settle on a self-service model deployment then i'll be writing all of it in python anyways so i can ascertain what on earth is or is not happening and why, because the 1 time in 10 something doesn't work in r it's a coin toss if i am not running into some remnants of huronian ice age

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

but pandas is sucky :smith:

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

gonadic io posted:

declarative programming is a style where your variables are generally immutable, often is more functional/side-effect light.
so you might do like

code:
def circle = new Circle(2)
def transform = new Translate(0.1, 2)
def transformedCircle = new Circle(circle, transform)
draw(transformedCircle)
as opposed to something like opengl's implicit state machine

code:
applyTransform(0.1, 2)
drawCircle(2)
doOtherThing()

not really, declarative just means "sufficiently high level," i.e. you tell the compiler what you want, but not how to do it. sql is a standard example, you tell the database the information you want, the database figures out the execution plan for you. but typically functional langs are more "declarative" than imperative ones, e.g. compare `map` to `for (Iterator<X> x = xs.iterator(); xs.hasNext(); ) { ... }`

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

akadajet posted:

mongodb -> came from mongo from blazing sadals -> probably came from the word "mongoloid"

mongodb claims it comes from the word "humongous"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

our mongodb also liked to claim our data is in a good place but something went amiss

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

c tp s: just took a look at a section of code for calculating money stuff and project hours. absolutely every number involved is a float.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CommunistPancake posted:

bull

poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

reminds me that solyent claims to not come from solyent green

mtgox claimed to not have anything to do with magic cards

and php doesn't stand for personal home page lol

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

akadajet posted:

bull

poo poo

here's the claim:

quote:

Actually the name choice really does come from the word humongous. A couple years earlier a naming consultant showed me a list of 50 names for potential companies and consumer web products, and it was in that deck, and the point made was that it connoted “big”. But as you say some folks joked about the movie reference when we gave that name to the db, and I didn’t elaborate on the logic behind the naming at the time I would guess. I certainly didn’t in my mind make a negative association about the name at the time; my last encounter with it before that point was probably in Shrek 2. I knew it was campy but it was just a piece of the tech stack at first, not then a big standalone product and technology as it is today. Of course I now know that in some parts of the world it’s an odd choice — apologies about that to those of you in those locales.

from https://www.kchodorow.com/blog/2010/08/23/history-of-mongodb/

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

mondodb

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

akadajet posted:

don't forget lucky goldstar

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

its hugh mongodb us

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
tardar sauce the cat

uh huh, yep. sure.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

:eyepop:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

php: hypertext preprocessor

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it was renamed that once rasmus decided that "personal home page tools" was no longer an apt description, though the engineering sophistication has still not advanced beyond that original stage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DELETE CASCADE posted:

it was renamed that once rasmus decided that "personal home page tools" was no longer an apt description, though the engineering sophistication has still not advanced beyond that original stage

it really explains the state of my job it team. our 4 years old customer web portal will soon gain a functioning forgotten password restoration mechanism :v:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

been dabbling with cmake just so my wagon isn't hitched to msvc and msbuild quite so tightly. it seems good but jesus did anyone ever write down how to use this thing? so far this is the best learning resource i've found but it's half-finished and the author's english isn't exactly great (totally understandable though).

on the plus side it really does seem solid and vcpkg is designed with it in mind so it's theoretically possible (lol) to treat windows more or less the same as anything else.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

how do i prant web

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

jony neuemonic posted:

been dabbling with cmake just so my wagon isn't hitched to msvc and msbuild quite so tightly. it seems good but jesus did anyone ever write down how to use this thing? so far this is the best learning resource i've found but it's half-finished and the author's english isn't exactly great (totally understandable though).

on the plus side it really does seem solid and vcpkg is designed with it in mind so it's theoretically possible (lol) to treat windows more or less the same as anything else.

i loving hate cmake

half the time it can't find libs installed on my system without me literally pointing it at them

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
CMake the language sucks horrible rear end and is likely fragmented worse than Python 2/Python 3.

It also holds plurality of usage, so you have to use it anyway :shrug:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

CMake the language sucks horrible rear end and is likely fragmented worse than Python 2/Python 3.

It also holds plurality of usage, so you have to use it anyway :shrug:

python is not terribly fragmented

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

python is not terribly fragmented

Last time I was paid to work with Python, you could either use Python 2 and cloud compute (AWS Lambda, Google App Engine, ...), or Python 3 with non-lovely handling of unicode strings. IIRC AWS Lambda moved to Python 3 earlier this year, so there probably aren't many more widely used holdouts, but still, even last year there were significant reasons not to go with Python 3.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

Last time I was paid to work with Python, you could either use Python 2 and cloud compute (AWS Lambda, Google App Engine, ...), or Python 3 with non-lovely handling of unicode strings. IIRC AWS Lambda moved to Python 3 earlier this year, so there probably aren't many more widely used holdouts, but still, even last year there were significant reasons not to go with Python 3.

that's a very specific use case imo. the majority seems to have moved onwards to python 3 in the span of last 3 or so years

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I still use python 2 because for some reason we have a thing that relies on jython, which only recently made the jump from 2.5 to 2.7, and still doesn’t work properly in java 8

basically: :rip: if you’re still using python 2

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Same. gently caress jython

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

jony neuemonic posted:

please use meson, it's cmake except better

• Locked thread