Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Toss the Holy Water and Meal, buy 4 Alether Potions.

And GTFO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

anakha posted:

Toss the Holy Water and Meal, buy 4 Alether Potions.

This but fight.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Buy the Gallowbrush and Alether, and do not pursue Maouk

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Toss one of our weaker Laumspur potions and buy the Gallowbrush, Graveweed, and Calacena. Just make sure we label them clearly.

We've been running this whole book, why change now?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Toss one of our weaker Laumspur potions and buy the Gallowbrush, Graveweed, and Calacena. Just make sure we label them clearly.

Then, say a heroic line and Fight
. I SO wish we had a bow right now, I wish to use it!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Wow this shop is amazing. Drop the regular meal and buy three Alethers. If we picked up Holy Water in a previous book, replace it with Gallowbrush.

Also LMAO at Maouk. Let's do the Roadrunner thing with our tongue and run away. Meep meep!

Jackard fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 3, 2017

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Jackard posted:

Wow this shop is amazing. Drop the regular meal and buy three Alethers. If we picked up Holy Water in a previous book, replace it with Gallowbrush.

Also LMAO at Maouk. Let's do the Roadrunner thing with our tongue and run away. Meep meep!

Yeah this

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ulmont posted:

Toss the Holy Water and Meal, buy 4 Alether Potions

Leraika posted:

and do not pursue Maouk
OK, we now have 4 alether potions, 3 laumspur potions, a meal of laumspur, and 26 Gold Crowns.

Shadow on the Sand posted:

You sprint along the cobblestones but are soon forced to stop. Cavalry appear at the end of the street; they shout and charge at you, three abreast. Maouk hisses a curse. You are shocked by how close his voice sounds, as if he were but a step behind you. You wheel round to confront him, only to see he still stands where he first appeared. A dart is held high in his hand; he hisses another curse and flings the missile into the air.

The dart sinks into your chest. You pull it free, but a wave of nausea makes you fall to your knees. The tip of the missile is drugged and you cannot fight the darkness that now engulfs your vision.

You wake up in great discomfort; every muscle of your body feels knotted and bruised. You force open eyelids clogged with dried sweat, and look with dread at your wretched surroundings. You are lying on the hard stone floor of a prison cell. Over by the far wall, beneath a window criss-crossed with iron bars, is a low wooden bunk covered in filthy rags. Cockroaches, some the size of field mice, scuttle along a foul-smelling gutter that disappears into a grating in the floor. (Erase from your Action Chart all Weapons, Special Items, Gold Crowns, and your Backpack and all its contents.)

You discover that your hands are free and slowly pull yourself upright into a sitting position, resting your back against the cell door. A faint draught from the corridor outside provides the only relief from the stifling heat and bad air of the cell. In the distance you can hear footsteps approaching. Then there is a jangle of keys and the creak of hinges. A door closes with a dull thud. More footsteps; they are getting louder. They come to halt outside the cell door and a loud voice bellows out: ‘Sleeping on duty, Sefrou? You’ll wake up on the other side of this door if the captain catches you!’

The chair scrapes along the ground, and a startled voice, full of indignation, replies: ‘Curse you, Hadj! The Zakhan doesn’t want the Northlander taken to the Grand Hall until sunset. You’ve cheated me of two hours sleep.’

‘Shut up, Sefrou,’ snarls the first voice, ‘and listen hard. I’ve just come from the armoury. Some interesting trinkets were found on the Northlander, worth a great deal of gold I’d say. Seems a pity to let them go to waste, eh?’

The two guards chuckle greedily and discuss at length the good time they will be able to have in the city, once they have sold your equipment.

‘I’ll take a peek at our friend,’ says one of the guards. ‘I wonder if he’s enjoying our hospitality.’

A spy-hole slides open above your head and you hear a gasp of shock. ‘He’s gone! He’s gone! By the Majhan, we’ll lose our heads!’ You suddenly realize that you cannot be seen so close to the door.

‘Let me see,’ hisses the other guard, eager to see for himself. You hear the click of a key in the lock; this could be your chance to escape.
Do we attack as soon as the door opens, taking advantage of the element of surprise. Or do we just take a step back and stand in the middle of the cell like "What? I was here the whole time."

Remember that we just lost all our equipment, including the Sommerswerd. We've got no weapon, no armour, no potions. Our Combat Skill is now 15 and our Endurance is 26. We're even worse off if we fight anything that's immune to Mindblast as that's still giving us a +2 CS bonus.

We also lost not only the items from our backpack but the backpack itself. That means that we can no longer collect backpack items. I'm going to allow us to keep backpack items in our weapon slots on the basis that we can just carry them in our hands, but that means we have a total of two slots available for weapons and backpack items combined. We can still carry special items in the normal way, of course, although we currently have none since they were all taken from us.

And in case you're wondering, there was nothing we could have done. Maouk gets you with that dart whether you try to fight him or not.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Punch these idiots in the dick and run for it.

Seriously we weren't even trying to jailbreak, they deserve to be dickpunched for their incompetence.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Kick their poo poo in

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Stupid railroad plot.

Attack when they open the door. We need our stuff back ASAP.

\/\/Whisky- Ah, I see. Oh well.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 3, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

achtungnight posted:

Stupid railroad plot.

It is possible not to get captured though. You just can't go in the shop.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Consider this another vote for dick punching.

Sure, it feels like railroading, but this is nothing compared to later books.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There's delicious irony in being done in by our own greed.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mindblast! (attack)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It is possible to not get captured, but the shop has nothing to do with it. It was swinging on a rope instead of swimming in sewer water that did it. By the time we got to the shop it was already too late. We did manage to avoid capture a lot of other times though. Almost every decision you make from the start of the book on can potentially get you caught. Not getting caught is stupidly difficult. Even making it to the sewer is an achievement.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
drat it, now I feel bad for getting us caught. Well, since we're here, we might as well play our new favorite jail game, Beat the Crap Out of Two Incompetent Guards!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Keep causing trouble and fight!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Attack!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Man if we don't get our poo poo back this is the worst. Why even have a shop. murder these idiots out of frustration

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The guards pull open the door, and you spring into action. Your clenched fist strikes the first man beneath his bearded jaw, lifting him from the floor with the power of the blow. His sword drops from his hand and clatters to the ground close to your feet.
Do we try to grab the sword or just attack the remaining guard empty-handed?

If we manage to pick up the sword then our Combat Skill will go up to 19.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Grab that Sword!

And concerning the herb shop, the stuff we bought and could buy there might be useful. There's also another reason to visit there I'll let Tiggum discuss when he judges the proper time.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Grab that Sword!

And concerning the herb shop, the stuff we bought and could buy there might be useful. There's also another reason to visit there I'll let Tiggum discuss when he judges the proper time.

It's never a bad idea to visit an herb shop.

Equip Sword

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Have sword, will travel kill.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Wow, there is SO MUCH book i missed by giving up immediatly thinking to avoid endangering the crew of the ship or causing some kind international incident.

that said, i'm pretty sure we can take these guys barehanded with the power of our minds, we can just pick up the sword afterwards [

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Wow, there is SO MUCH book i missed by giving up immediatly thinking to avoid endangering the crew of the ship or causing some kind international incident.
Yeah, in case anyone's wondering, this is exactly where you end up if you just surrender right from the start. The whole chase through the city and the sewer is entirely optional.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Get sword

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
We get his sword and use it to kick the other guy's rear end!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Just attack, picking it up seems like it could be a trap.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Snorb posted:

We get his sword and use it to kick the other guy's rear end!
Do we? We do!

You stoop to grasp the sword, but as your fingers close around the hilt, the second guard attacks.

Palace Gaoler: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 21

Ignore all ENDURANCE points lost by the enemy in the first round of combat, for you can only attempt to parry his blow.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 19 ENDURANCE 26
Combat Ratio: 5

We'd still have had the advantage against this guy, but 5 is definitely better than 1.

We roll: 9
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 19 ENDURANCE 26

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 19 ENDURANCE 22
Palace Gaoler: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 15

We roll: 8
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 19 ENDURANCE 22
Palace Gaoler: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 1

We roll: 2
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 19 ENDURANCE 19
Palace Gaoler: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 0

The guard clutches at his wounds and drops lifeless to the ground. You see that the other man is recovering from your blow and is clawing at the cell door to try to pull himself to his feet.

Healing: +1 EP (20/26).
Do we just try to kill him or try to overpower him and take him alive?

If combat had lasted one more round the second guard would have had time to recover, but because we have Mindblast it would have made no difference anyway.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Take him alive. He might know where our stuff is.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Take him alive. And then kill him.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Take him alive and ask for our stuff back.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Take him alive. Even if he tells us where our stuff is, I like locking him up in his own dungeon better than killing him.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

For taking our bling-rear end sword, he must die.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

I'm torn, but capture him.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Capture him.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Remember the basics of CQC. Grab the dude from behind, put a blade to his throath and growl "Talk!" in your best Big Boss voice.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

Remember the basics of CQC. Grab the dude from behind, put a blade to his throath and growl "Talk!" in your best Big Boss voice.
Well, that's a little specific, but we'll do something similar.

You grasp the frightened guard in a secure head-lock and threaten to break his neck if he does not answer your questions. He immediately promises to tell you everything he knows. He says that the new Zakhan fears that you are an assassin, sent by his enemies in the west. He claims to hate the new Zakhan himself. He is only a simple gaoler, he says, and knows nothing more.

Healing: +1 EP (21/26).

Your Sixth Sense tells you that the man is lying. He knows that other guards are sure to turn up at any moment. As soon as you loosen your grip, he will attempt to overpower you and raise the alarm.

Healing: +1 EP (22/26).
Do we continue questioning him or just break his neck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...