Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ceiling fan posted:

Jesus Christ, you pendants. Yes, Richmond is now a more liberal city. It is also struggling with the festering effects of white supremacy. Its political landscape and status deserves to be a discussion by itself, but was mostly a tangent to my point. And yes, most of Hampton Roads are liberal, with the same limitation as NOVA, government workers in the Military-Industrial Complex. Who respond more strongly to law and order, and are suspicious any policies that make exceptions to following the rules.

Given the overall population Northam has to work with, he may lose the VA democratic base if he makes statements supporting sanctuary cities.

Hey dude I lived in VA for 25 years and never got pulled over ever stop and think maybe the problem is you??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Boon posted:

True story, Norfolk is actually a young and cool city with some really great restaurants (I miss you every day Handsome Biscuit).

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like handsome biscuit

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Elizabeth Warren actually is a member of a native American tribe now, she was adopted into one. So calling her Pocahontas is like using some anti Jewish slur against a convert.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

http://dashboard.securingdemocracy.org/

The Hamilton 68 dashboard is an aggregate of over 600 known Russian twitter bots in an attempt to expose their talking points and the effects of their influence on American media and political culture. Strangely enough, many of the subjects Trump has tweeted recently are trending hashtags and topics within this network (Donna Brazile, Elizabeth Warren, etc). There's also a weekly update of what the major stories being pushed are.

All in all, a very interesting look at the russian propaganda machine on twitter.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ceiling fan posted:

Jesus Christ, you pendants. Yes, Richmond is now a more liberal city. It is also struggling with the festering effects of white supremacy. Its political landscape and status deserves to be a discussion by itself, but was mostly a tangent to my point. And yes, most of Hampton Roads are liberal, with the same limitation as NOVA, government workers in the Military-Industrial Complex. Who respond more strongly to law and order, and are suspicious any policies that make exceptions to following the rules.

Given the overall population Northam has to work with, he may lose the VA democratic base if he makes statements supporting sanctuary cities.

It's not really pedantry to point out that the "NoVA, aka Not Real Virginia is the only Democratic stronghold in the Commonwealth" meme is untrue and needs to die.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Crow Jane posted:

Iirc, a lot of white people claiming Indian ancestry are covering up for there being a black person somewhere in their family tree. Being part Indian was acceptable and even cool, being part black was not

Nah, it's got more to do with covering white guilt at stealing a country and genociding a people. Plus the whole 'native mystique' boomer hippies bought into.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

theflyingorc posted:

Ulysses S. Grant got a speeding ticket. He was actually arrested because that's how they dealt with speeders at the time.

Yeah! a speeding ticket for a horse. It was a dumb minor thing but presidents absolutely do not have actual immunity, just a totally agreed on by everyone "this would be hosed up".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Elizabeth Warren actually is a member of a native American tribe now, she was adopted into one. So calling her Pocahontas is like using some anti Jewish slur against a convert.

What if the President called a black member of congress "mammy"? This is the exact same thing. Why isn't there more outrage over this?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ammanas posted:

Nah, it's got more to do with covering white guilt at stealing a country and genociding a people. Plus the whole 'native mystique' boomer hippies bought into.

Boomers weren't around a century ago when the "I'm part Indian" thing was popular.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Calling Warren "Pocahontas" is like calling Bernie Sanders "Herschel" or calling Keith Ellison "Mohammed".

It's pretty terrible.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

Iirc, a lot of white people claiming Indian ancestry are covering up for there being a black person somewhere in their family tree. Being part Indian was acceptable and even cool, being part black was not

I was trying to track down the marriage certificate for a long lost ancestor and the nice Black lady in the records department looked at the designation code on the record (BKsomethingsomethingsomething) and then back up at me and back down at the code and asked "....Black?" before hurrying to the back. Ends up he was White and it was so long ago that any racial designation would've been for Colored, but I wonder how many White people come into there and leave a little more diverse than they realized.

theflyingorc posted:

Ulysses S. Grant got a speeding ticket. He was actually arrested because that's how they dealt with speeders at the time.

Duh, those were state charges.

Maybe that's why no one wants to make D.C. a state. It's a President's last refuge.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Boomers weren't around a century ago when the "I'm part Indian" thing was popular.

The "im part indian" thing didn't stop being popular, I heard it from my parents and friends growing up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deteriorata posted:

Also being "part indian" was a way for people of African descent to "pass" as white(r).

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

What if the President called a black member of congress "mammy"? This is the exact same thing. Why isn't there more outrage over this?

Because he's successfully spun it as "making fun of her for claiming something she hasn't". He's been able to pretend that she's like Rachel Dolezal.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also being "part indian" was a way for people of African descent to "pass" as white(r).

When did whites count Native Americans as an in-group? It flows the opposite direction. Whites can enter, but natives can't.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Attacking Warren for appropriating a Native American heritage, by throwing a slur against Native Americans at her is really loving rich. They could at least do that thing where they suddenly pretend to be concerned about minorities when it happens to suit them.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Mind_Taker posted:

Calling Warren "Pocahontas" is like calling Bernie Sanders "Herschel" or calling Keith Ellison "Mohammed".

It's pretty terrible.

I think a lot about how long it'll take before our numbness to incivility at the top of the government will go away. Or if it ever will.

Like, will it break as soon as the next President is in power and isn't a gaping rear end in a top hat, or will it linger for decades because the only thing keeping it civil was collective refusal to cross the line?

Ammanas posted:

The "im part indian" thing didn't stop being popular, I heard it from my parents and friends growing up.

Yeah me too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ammanas posted:

When did whites count Native Americans as an in-group? It flows the opposite direction. Whites can enter, but natives can't.

Not sure what you mean, but it's more "I'm really white, I just have dark skin because I'm part native American"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

Because he's successfully spun it as "making fun of her for claiming something she hasn't". He's been able to pretend that she's like Rachel Dolezal.

No one even remembers that moronic story other than far right lunatics.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ammanas posted:

I wonder when it went from put them all in a reservation and destroy their culture to being really popular to be one. And why.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Is Papa J's the one that gives you the little cup of garlic dipping sauce?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Soylent Yellow posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41854358

US energy secretary proves that exposure to high levels of lead can lead to mental impairment.

Reminder, Texas was on fire, he said to pray to jeeazus for rain and got more fire.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wait so white people can become minorities now?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Violator posted:

Is Papa J's the one that gives you the little cup of garlic dipping sauce?

Yeah, you know, the one with the guy who looks like a sexual predator in every television appearance and photograph.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Wait so white people can become minorities now?

Not you.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Also worth mentioning that while Warren is a senator from MA she grew up in drat Oklahoma so its not like it was farfetched for her to have Native Americans somewhere in her family tree

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

His consumption of spit and semen is about to go through the roof.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Not sure what you mean, but it's more "I'm really white, I just have dark skin because I'm part native American"

Why don’t you just say you’re Italian.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The KFCs and McDs in DC is going to hate him for loving their normal operation with the secret service detail.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

withak posted:

quote:

John McCain Rep. 14,821 6.5%
Mitt Romney Rep. 17,337 7.1%

His consumption of spit and semen is about to go through the roof.

Someone needs to print "I hereby resign the office of president of the united states" on the check before giving it to him.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Trump eating out is AMAZING because the general public will be able to throw insults at him directly and who knows where hightened, sustained negativity will take him.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

No one even remembers that moronic story other than far right lunatics.

That has absolutely nothing to do with my point, congratulations.

From the right, it's not seen as "making fun of Native Americans", it's "making fun of someone for pretending to be Native American". That's why he's getting away with it, because he's attacking her non-Native-ness.

It's still garbage and he should absolutely get called out for it, but explaining why it's a problem is more complicated and gonna be difficult to get white America behind.

Anyone not buried in scandal, it would be a major scandal, but we're so busy with President Moron that anything that requires explanation to get Joe Average to understand why it's offensive is a non-starter right now.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/926456409260285952

Is he... admitting to cheating?

edit: oh no I misread it because he writes like an insane person

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

I wonder when it went from put them all in a reservation and destroy their culture to being really popular to be one. And why.

Mostly during the social reform movements of the early 20th century. As the last western territories were becoming states, people began to look back a bit ruefully at what they had done.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
They've been calling Elizabeth Warren Pocahontas for a very long time, you guys. They perceived her as a threat and they slandered her and the name has stuck.

It's just more talk radio bullshit.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

That has absolutely nothing to do with my point, congratulations.

From the right, it's not seen as "making fun of Native Americans", it's "making fun of someone for pretending to be Native American". That's why he's getting away with it, because he's attacking her non-Native-ness.

It's still garbage and he should absolutely get called out for it, but explaining why it's a problem is more complicated and gonna be difficult to get white America behind.

Anyone not buried in scandal, it would be a major scandal, but we're so busy with President Moron that anything that requires explanation to get Joe Average to understand why it's offensive is a non-starter right now.

He did it throughout the campaign so it’s actually nothing new.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Phoix posted:

*ahem* Bernie would have won.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Phoix posted:

Textbook example of the difference between a comma and a semicolon...or a period. It should be an example in a textbook, whatever it is.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

i am harry posted:

Trump eating out is AMAZING because the general public will be able to throw insults at him directly and who knows where hightened, sustained negativity will take him.

Nah Secret Service will clear out restaurants or fill them with supporters, and the resulting security costs will go through the roof.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This scenario is pretty much my nightmare, every waking and sleeping moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Warren wouldn’t be a good presidential candidate. She’s too nice. She’s not nasty enough and can’t take the heat.

• Locked thread