Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm so sad that this isn't the final video because it contains everything we needed to end on a high note with our spirits uplifted because both levels are pretty good. WAA turns out to be hilarious and Eternal Space was both beautiful and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Strange Memories of Death is a great music choice. And goddamn that Waluigi soundfont...

nice

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 3, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

WAA was everything I could ask for. And goddamn that last level was pretty and creative, and actually looked fun to play! I'm glad the judge world ended in a high note after such a terrible start.

It was nice.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

WAA was pretty funny and the last level was really good looking and looked fun to play. Shame the other two judge levels went for stupid difficulty tricks instead.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You are to blame for this. You and wanting nice things.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 3, 2017

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Wow. WAA had a super fun aesthetic on top of being a pretty alright level, and Eternal Space was just really cool!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The music you were looking for in the Waluigi boss fight is the 2P versus music from Wario's Woods.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That starting fortress WAA chord was the sound of absolute catharsis.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

WAA wouldn't really pass the cement block test but it's just such a joy. It was also pretty good on difficulty: that fortress section is about what I'd expect out of a late-game fortress, and there's a reasonable amount of powerups for once.

Eternal Space is also a really nice looking level, and it looks like it plays really well, too. It does run on a bit long, though, and I have no earthly idea how you're supposed to react in time to not get hit on the secret exit.

Materant fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 3, 2017

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
These were what Judge levels should be, not too hard, interesting, and fun in concept. It felt like an interesting victory lap, instead of trying to one up the difficulties of the contest.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
nice
:regd13:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The "Waa Waaaaa~" backing track was expected, but still enjoyable. I wasn't ready for the second verse though :allears:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The WAA-track was a bit jarring but the level was funny. Certainly functional unlike the other two.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
N I C E

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I want an mp3 of that Castle wàaah song. :allears:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SystemLogoff posted:

I want an mp3 of that Castle wàaah song. :allears:

Seconded

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

That Waluigi level was as good as I hoped it would be. :allears:

also nice

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That Waluigi castle song killed me for a good five minutes.

It's just beautiful and perfect.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It's probably a bad sign that the main thing I took away from judge world is that I really want to make my own level based on layer 2 fuckery and inflict it upon people. Something more benign and functional than that, though.

New thread title is nice.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

The main thing I've taken away from the entire LP is that romhacking is a lot more accessible than I thought it was, and I keep seeing some of these levels and thinking "oooh, what about that but..." and its making me seriously want to give LunarMagic a try to fiddle around at least!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've got it. A level with one square of vine block coming out of the ceiling, which follows you through the entire level.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Clearly the logical endpoint of tall midpoints is a 1 screen wide vertical level where the midpoint is always visible, and you have to climb to the top, where the actual ribbon is, and then back down to get to a door or pipe on the other side of an obstacle.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

waluigi is a gift to humanity and us all

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Some day, eventually, Nintendo will grace us with an Waluigi game and it will be glorious.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Stink Terios posted:

Some day, eventually, Nintendo will grace us with an Waluigi game and it will be glorious.
I'm holding out hope for a Mario & Luigi RPG spinoff game with Wario & Waluigi. I'll pay all the money for that.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I think my favorite thing is that Nintendo doesn't even seem to like Waluigi, he's just useful for filling out a roster occasionally. He's a knock-off of a knock-off, and models himself after what is already the official loser underdog who almost never gets much recognition. He was designed by a third party, and isn't even a Mario brother, he's just some loving guy. Waluigi is charmingly trash.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

quote:

Waluigi is the ultimate example of the individual shaped by the signifier. Waluigi is a man seen only in mirror images; lost in a hall of mirrors he is a reflection of a reflection of a reflection. You start with Mario – the wholesome all Italian plumbing superman, you reflect him to create Luigi – the same thing but slightly less. You invert Mario to create Wario – Mario turned septic and libertarian – then you reflect the inversion in the reflection: you create a being who can only exist in reference to others. Waluigi is the true nowhere man, without the other characters he reflects, inverts and parodies he has no reason to exist. Waluigi’s identity only comes from what and who he isn’t – without a wider frame of reference he is nothing. He is not his own man. In a world where our identities are shaped by our warped relationships to brands and commerce we are all Waluigi.

https://theemptypage.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/critical-perspectives-on-waluigi/

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

quote:

In a world where our identities are shaped by our warped relationships to brands and commerce we are all Waluigi.

This plus new thread title = :five:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Not sure if wishing you could've ended on a high note means the last level is going to suck or if it's just the credits or something, but I wanted to say that this was one of my favorite LPs of all time, and I hope you guys do something else SMW-related, even if it's not VLDC10.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It's time to hit World 8 and make our assault on the capital.

SMW - Hunters Revenge Revised: Episode 16

Doseku fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 5, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

But like many collaborations in the Mario community, they never know when to quit. And this non-restraint leads to one of the worst levels in the whole game. Not because it's all bad, but because the sum of its parts make it bad. This is only the first half of the level. We get the midpoint 6 minutes in.

"The Void" might require some explanation too. SMWCentral Production was the site's first collab hack and at the end of Bowser's Castle there was something we called "The Void" and it was 8 levels based on the 8 world themes that you had to do to continue. The majority of them were all bad with the cave level being the worst for requiring you to find and carry 5 P-Switches amid spikes and invisible blocks to precise locations to get to the exit. We all vowed never to do something like that again.

Until the site did again.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

So where in Worst World does this level belong?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
I played mario a lot this week.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #11: Song about Sewers
(Heavy Sigh, Kalonzombie, and Shinryu)

and a lot of fire emblem.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #11: Devil Killer Mega Man
(Heavy Sigh, shinryu, word on the wind, dijondujour and Terror Van)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So far, this seems more tedious and just far too long for its own good than outright bad (aside from that one bad Chuck placement, maybe the powerup restriction and that the Abstract section really needs an epilepsy warning...). But, considering it's been split in two rather than one video thats a little over half an hour that in itself might be a sign of what's to come...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm really confused about the intent of the mushrooms, given the presence of the filter. You can't carry mushrooms between segments because of the filter, so I guess they're there to give you a boost on a particularly difficult segment? But the info box doesn't really communicate that, and most players probably aren't going to bother saving them because it seems to be set up as "you have two mushrooms to make it through this whole gauntlet in one go."

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Straight White Shark posted:

I'm really confused about the intent of the mushrooms, given the presence of the filter. You can't carry mushrooms between segments because of the filter, so I guess they're there to give you a boost on a particularly difficult segment? But the info box doesn't really communicate that, and most players probably aren't going to bother saving them because it seems to be set up as "you have two mushrooms to make it through this whole gauntlet in one go."

Yeah, this seems like it would have been good if they just gave a mushroom to the player every time. The fact that it saves progress is good, but the wankery of needing to know what levels you'll have trouble on before grabbing a mushroom is really stupid.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, this seems like it would have been good if they just gave a mushroom to the player every time. The fact that it saves progress is good, but the wankery of needing to know what levels you'll have trouble on before grabbing a mushroom is really stupid.

Agreed. What is with these levels and powerup paucity? Do they think it's somehow more fun if you aren't able to take a single hit? The length of the level doesn't seem that bad given it's a victory lap final level and it saves your progress (and the LPers were just unfortunate to be doing it when they really just wanted to be finished and go to bed) but the lack of powerups, as well as that obnoxious filter in the hub, really sour it.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I agree with the other dudes, the mushroom thing is a strange design choice. If you know how the whole thing works then it makes sense: you just go through the areas as small Mario, and if you hit an area that is giving you trouble, you make the choice to burn one of your mushrooms and go in as Big Mario. That's totally fine, but I expect most people didn't really understand that expectation.

Also, personal opinion, but that music track is godawful. Is it from an anime or something? It sounds terrible, like someone tried to cover a bad synthwave song in the Mario soundfont.

edit: having said that, I think you guys recorded this too late at night because everyone seems low energy and too salty about things

edit2: and another thing, which sadist designed pipeland in such a way that you can't just easily run and jump from entrance to entrance instead of having to hop around like an rear end in a top hat

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Heavy Sigh posted:

Dirty water level
I feel as if that section with the "greyscale" water isn't intended, because I've never seen it like that and I'm aware that there's multiple versions of the rom because one doesn't play nice with certain emulators. I've never seen the glitchy lines, either. The way I remember it, it was orange-ish water like before, but each screen was "clearer" than the previous one.

• Locked thread