Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Thor Ragnarok was a lot of fun. Trailers did a good job hiding some surprises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Thor 3 is a weird movie. It's like the director saw how lacking the first two Thor movies were in comic book weirdness and cosmic operatic spectacle and was like "Crikey, better cram it all into the third one in case there's not a fourth"

And now as a result I really hope there's a fourth, with either him or someone with a similar version behind the wheel. Granted, I imagine there are going to be people who have issues with Thor basically being heroic Homer Simpson in this, and the movie probably does lean into the comedic angle even harder than the other Marvel movies. But in spite of that, the scenes that have weight manage to hold that weight, so it's not quite the fun-but-frivolous romp that Antman was. The funny bits are funnier than Avengers, and the serious bits are more serious. At least, that's how I felt.

I think it might be one of my favorite Marvel movies. I buy into it's vision of grand cosmic hijinks much more than what was on display in the Guardians movies, probably because with there being basically only 2 locations they feel a bit more fleshed out than any of the locations in those movies did.

and jeff goldblum is great in it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not to mention how much Williams borrows from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, Dvorak's New World Symphony and Holst's The Planets. And liberally from himself (like reworking stuff from Hook for Attack of the Clones, or Superman / Star Wars). To be clear this is all fine and normal, and composers have been doing this kind of thing for centuries.

Superman borrows a lot from the Fanfare for the Common Man as well, iirc.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Thor 3 was really loving good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Thank god we've survived the dark days of Discussing Something Which The Americans Haven't Seen Yet

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Thank god we've survived the dark days of Discussing Something Which The Americans Haven't Seen Yet

I'm in Australia, I just wasn't able to organise a free night and a babysitter til now :negative:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Thor 3 was really loving good.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm in Australia, I just wasn't able to organise a free night and a babysitter til now :negative:

I didn't think it would take that long for Disney's cheque to clear. :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 3, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Haha

I wish Doctor Strange would get replaced by his identical cousin Steven Strange from England.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Thor: Ragnarok is easily the best Thor film, and one of the most fun Marvel films to date. It Ragna-rocked my world, and its easily the best out of the three Marvel films released this year.

It's a perfect blend of action, comedy, although a little light on drama (not saying there aren't any emotionally impactful scenes - there are). The movie reminds me of Heavy Metal meets Mad Max, and it's :rock:

My only complaint (spoiler-free) was that the movie moves at such a brisk pace that sometimes certain moments that are supposed to be a big deal/dramatic get lost in translation/glossed over. But man, this was a gorgeous movie.

Breakout characters for me are Valkyrie (the drunk Han Solo of the MCU) and Korg.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm not sure how I feel about studios changing gfx in the trailer to preserve plot spoilers. I get why, though.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about studios changing gfx in the trailer to preserve plot spoilers. I get why, though.

It's not that different than all the recut dialogue they've been doing for decades

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I prefer not being spoiled. I mean, trailers are usually misleading in a number of ways anyway.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

I liked that touch, personally. It kept it as a surprise - trailers typically give away too much of a movie nowadays, so it was a refreshing change of pace.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would be interesting to see specially shot trailers that get the premise of the movie across without actually using a whole lot of its actual footage.

I remember one of the trailers for The Incredibles was Bob in his office struggling with the belt of his super-suit, which was a scene that didn't get used at all in the movie, but makes it abundantly clear what the movie is broadly about (retired superhero's mid-life crisis).

Or one of the trailers for Face/Off which was John Travolta sitting in a darkened room describing how he's been tracking Castor Troy and how Castor Troy is a really bad guy, with the camera revolving around him and as he says, "To catch him..." it finishes its rotation and John Travolta's been replaced with Nicolas Cage saying (in Travolta's voice), "I must become him."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So I'm hearing the movie looks incredible. Is IMAX worth it? Seeing it tonight.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Arist posted:

So I'm hearing the movie looks incredible. Is IMAX worth it? Seeing it tonight.

Yes, for sure. It's a gorgeous movie

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What's the rule on spoiler tags again? I'm not going to see this film until tomorrow night. Just want to know when I should start avoiding this topic.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I enjoyed the movie but I don't think it requires IMAX.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IUG posted:

What's the rule on spoiler tags again? I'm not going to see this film until tomorrow night. Just want to know when I should start avoiding this topic.

The rule is you don't have to once something is out.

The reality is people will use tags for a day or two out of courtesy for other posters until some dick will come in and quote 4 or 5 other people and respond without tags to them, after which most will figure okay I guess the door's open now. Time is a flat circle.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

hiddenriverninja posted:

Care to elaborate what was changed? I don't mind spoilers. Seeing this late next week.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Time is a flat circle.

Time is alike a piece of string. But if you roll it into a ball...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

teagone posted:

Care to elaborate what was changed? I don't mind spoilers. Seeing this late next week.
It's already been mentioned upthread (in spoiler tags) and somebody already spoiled themselves on it, so please read at your own risk.

Thor loses his eye during the climax, afterwards there's a shot where he lands on the rainbow bridge surrounded by lightning and it's all bloody. The blood is removed in the trailer, and I think also a blue glow is added to match his other eye (I forget if it's glowing in the film or not).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ughh I can see this weekend in a regular theatre, or wait a week for imax.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Retro Futurist posted:

Ughh I can see this weekend in a regular theatre, or wait a week for imax.

FWIW, the movie is very pretty but I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything without IMAX.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

teagone posted:

They also changed the location that something happens (the destruction of Mjolnir) and it looks a bit poo poo in the movie because of the obvious green screen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They also changed the location that something happens (the destruction of Mjolnir) and it looks a bit poo poo in the movie because of the obvious green screen.

This I knew, because I think both versions were in two different trailers. The first one showed it happen in like an alley then another trailer came out where it was changed to like some kind of grassy hill. Did they change it a third time for the movie? Lol.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

teagone posted:

This I knew, because I think both versions were in two different trailers. The first one showed it happen in like an alley then another trailer came out where it was changed to like some kind of grassy hill. Did they change it a third time for the movie? Lol.

I hadn't seen the second one, but it's that in the movie. It's a minor point really but it looks a bit distracting at a fairly serious moment.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

It's already been mentioned upthread (in spoiler tags) and somebody already spoiled themselves on it, so please read at your own risk.

Thor loses his eye during the climax, afterwards there's a shot where he lands on the rainbow bridge surrounded by lightning and it's all bloody. The blood is removed in the trailer, and I think also a blue glow is added to match his other eye (I forget if it's glowing in the film or not).

I didn't spoil myself, the rear end in a top hat in question forgot to add spoiler tags and then went back and edited his post.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thor was really good! Some of my favorite shots in the entire MCU in this thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Actually, AFAIK, they reshot that scene in a grassy field. The only shot that is greenscreen replaced is the shot of Mjolnir's destruction. The rest of it is actually Hopkins, Hiddleston, Hemsworth and Blanchett on location.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Wheat Loaf posted:

It would be interesting to see specially shot trailers that get the premise of the movie across without actually using a whole lot of its actual footage.

That’s why stuff like this is so special. The extra day it takes to shoot is absolutely worth it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, on the Pixar point, there was a whole period where they were animating custom teasers for their films. Which is obviously a huge undertaking for an animation studio.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
So are we gonna talk about how they unceremoniously killed off 2 of the 3 Warriors Three without so much as a break in the tone. No sad music, they barely even had lines. People that got fired from Lost for drunk driving got better death scenes than that. poo poo, DBZ at least pretended it was a big deal every time Yamcha died.

Also: double spoiler alertin the comicon teaser footage for Infinity War the Guardians find Thor floating in space rubble. After all that trouble, is Thanos gonna show up and just kill all of Asgard on a ship?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

So are we gonna talk about how they unceremoniously killed off 2 of the 3 Warriors Three without so much as a break in the tone. No sad music, they barely even had lines. People that got fired from Lost for drunk driving got better death scenes than that. poo poo, DBZ at least pretended it was a big deal every time Yamcha died.

Also: double spoiler alertin the comicon teaser footage for Infinity War the Guardians find Thor floating in space rubble. After all that trouble, is Thanos gonna show up and just kill all of Asgard on a ship?

Regarding the second point: I'm guessing the giant ship in the post-credits scene is Thanos' ship. He's probably ambushing the Asgard ship to get the Tesseract which Loki totally took when he was in the Vault

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

First: Thor 3 was a great, fun film. All of the main cast, including Urban's Skurge, had pretty full character arcs.

That said, I think the movie kind of felt like three movies crammed into one. The earlier movies, being incredibly forgettable, didn't help set this movie up at all so there's a lot of moving pieces on the chessboard in the first act. After we get past that point, we have times that characters are allowed to breathe.

I also was surprised at how much Banner/Hulk we got.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thor 3 = Great flick. Hemsworth is a gift.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My theater loving lost it at Banner going splat. Holy poo poo, what a gag.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

notthegoatseguy posted:

First: Thor 3 was a great, fun film. All of the main cast, including Urban's Skurge, had pretty full character arcs.

That said, I think the movie kind of felt like three movies crammed into one. The earlier movies, being incredibly forgettable, didn't help set this movie up at all so there's a lot of moving pieces on the chessboard in the first act. After we get past that point, we have times that characters are allowed to breathe.

I also was surprised at how much Banner/Hulk we got.

Supposedly this is supposed to start a new character arc for Hulk and Banner, so I’m not surprised if they got a good portion of the limelight.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Sgt. Politeness posted:

The last Asgardians would be a prize too good to just destroy when Thanos could bend them to his will instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How do they figure out that these sitcom, mocumentary and B-horror movie directors are secretly amazing blockbuster action directors?

Also, feel bad for these dudes sitting with their girlfriends in the movie, the woman sitting next to me let out an audible “mmmmmmm” during one of the Hemsworth shirtless scene.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 4, 2017

• Locked thread