Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CobiWann posted:

On the third hand, those must be some drat amazing lunches Big Finish provides for their actors and actresses.

I passed Terry Molloy in the hallway at a convention once and asked "are the Big Finish lunches as good as everyone says?" and he said "oh GOD yes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

It's literally a Red Dwarf episode that they decided to play seriously, and it works so well it's amazing.

So what is it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I just grabbed the Cushing films from Rifftrax during their Halloween sale as I'd never seen them before, and good god, the ways they stick so firmly to the original script is absurd given that they've fundamentally changed the composition of the cast. Sending Susan to get the drugs was a bit weird in the TV version, but at least she was (physically, anyway) a teenager, so not totally ridiculous. But why on earth do you keep that point when the film changes her into a precocious moppet, instead of sending the ACTUAL TEENAGE GIRL.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

On one hand, it amazes me just how hard Big Finish is leaning into the expanded universe.

On the other hand, people MUST be buying this stuff if they keep releasing it!

On the third hand, those must be some drat amazing lunches Big Finish provides for their actors and actresses.

They're still releasing Vienna stories and I'm pretty loving sure no one's buying those.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm curious as to why all this stuff is always released in the box set format. It's always three or four series in a box, rather than single release (notable exception: the monthly Torchwood releases)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov posted:

I'm curious as to why all this stuff is always released in the box set format. It's always three or four series in a box, rather than single release (notable exception: the monthly Torchwood releases)

I legit think Brexit and changes to the price of international shipping and handling may have something to do with it - easier to ship one box of 4 CD's than 4 CD's by themselves.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

People have mostly got to be ordering these digitally these days, right? I wonder if they're just trying to reduce confusion about what goes with what by boxing stuff together. It also gives the writers a bit of freedom to be less episodic (i.e., they can assume the listener has heard the previous stories in the set).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't get why you guys are so down on the side ranges. A lot of them are pretty good. I'm particularly fond of Graceless, which I think is probably some of the best stuff Big Finish has released in ages --
though I'll admit doesn't start out the best. But the series really pushes the concept of the lead character's all-powerful abilities to the limit, and does really cool things with them. That, and the most recent season had Sian Phillips!

I've not actually heard very much Vienna, but the list of writers attached are pretty strong. I can speak for I, Davros, the Benny stories, the Torchwood stuff and the Confessions of Dorian Grey line, which are all really good -- and tend to be of a higher general quality than the monthly releases.

And, look, I don't know about you guys, but this year's had some absolutely terrible monthly releases -- and that was before people dubbed The Silurian Candidate the new Minuet In Hell (it's the one with the Australian Donald Trump). Apparently they're changing around executive producers next year, but I don't have an awful lot of confidence in their main stuff right now. They've had a couple of passable scripts this year, but only two of them were anywhere near good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've been really enjoying pretty much all of the New Series stuff BF has been putting out. Their writes seem to have a real gift for capturing the "feel" of each Doctor's era, or each spinoff. They even managed to rehabilitate Torchwood.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't get why you guys are so down on the side ranges. A lot of them are pretty good. I'm particularly fond of Graceless, which I think is probably some of the best stuff Big Finish has released in ages --
though I'll admit doesn't start out the best. But the series really pushes the concept of the lead character's all-powerful abilities to the limit, and does really cool things with them. That, and the most recent season had Sian Phillips!

I've not actually heard very much Vienna, but the list of writers attached are pretty strong. I can speak for I, Davros, the Benny stories, the Torchwood stuff and the Confessions of Dorian Grey line, which are all really good -- and tend to be of a higher general quality than the monthly releases.

And, look, I don't know about you guys, but this year's had some absolutely terrible monthly releases -- and that was before people dubbed The Silurian Candidate the new Minuet In Hell (it's the one with the Australian Donald Trump). Apparently they're changing around executive producers next year, but I don't have an awful lot of confidence in their main stuff right now. They've had a couple of passable scripts this year, but only two of them were anywhere near good.

I think a lot of the side ranges are really good (Gallifrey, Unbound, I, Davros, Jago and Litefoot), but on Graceless, we're just going to have disagree. I think it takes all the humanity and personality of the two sisters that made them interesting and throws it out in favor of a bunch of hypothetical "what if" questions involving blank-slate quasi-omnipotent beings. I've admittedly only heard the first "season," though.

I really have to get back to Big Finish one of these days, but it's weirdly hard to fit time in for it without my commute and now that my wife is doing most of the grocery shopping (she has more access to the car). I got through about 325 stories back when I was stuck on the Green Line, walking across the bridge to friends' places in Cambridge, or walking halfway home to stop for groceries. I guess I'm just going to have to make my life harder somehow!

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Finally, I find someone else who enjoyed Dorian Gray.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I passed Terry Molloy in the hallway at a convention once and asked "are the Big Finish lunches as good as everyone says?" and he said "oh GOD yes"

They mention in the bonus features of "An Ordinary Life", that actor Ram John Holder, who was only booked for the first day of recording, returned on the second just for the lunch.

And these lunches aren't take out. Their sound engineer Toby Hyreck-Robinson is the one who home cooks all these lunches.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Can't speak for anyone else but I buy boxsets at release (well, at the prerelease prices) and get stuff that's released individually like the main range, Early Adventures and Fourth Doctor stuff later on at sales prices so there might be something to that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

What's interesting about the 2018 series of Fourth Doctor adventures is that it's 8 stories, split into 2 box sets, on CD or download. However, if you order any of the stories individually, they're only available on download.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So she's gonna hang out with an Ood, a Dude, and a partial Cyberman?

I'm in. :getin:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Excuse me, that appears to be Cyborg from upcoming blockbuster Justice League. :colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Just saw The War Doctor box set has the subtitle "Only the Good" (The first War Doctor was called "Only the Monstrous")

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
OK have we talked about Bradley's comments from MCM Comic Con yet - "The First Doctor's going to be a sexist" is the short (non-plot spoiler, just character traity) version.

Who on earth thought that this was a good idea

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

OK have we talked about Bradley's comments from MCM Comic Con yet - "The First Doctor's going to be a sexist" is the short (non-plot spoiler, just character traity) version.

Well I suppose doing it on purpose is better than half the things Moffat wrote for Eleven to spout!

Maybe?

No, it's still a really bad idea.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ah, now that's how you tarnish a legacy!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For the love of Christ

For the love of loving God drat It

Why would the Doctor EVER be sexist

Why should ANY iteration of the Doctor be sexist

He was never written to be sexist

He was belligerent and some times he said things that were sexist but that wasn't a character flaw, that was the 1960s screaming through. The CHARACTER wasn't supposed to be sexist but misanthropic and he got over that mostly.

I'm super sure Verity Lambert would be THRILLED about this revision to history

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Isn't there a spoiler thread

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
At a guess Moffat is having a last go at easing fans into the lady Doctor by having the first doctor overcome some mid-20th-century era prejudice. What people will think of the next series of Doctor Who is no longer Moffat's concern so frankly I wish he'd stop worrying about it and just write a good adventure for Capaldi to go out on

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

2house2fly posted:

At a guess Moffat is having a last go at easing fans into the lady Doctor by having the first doctor overcome some mid-20th-century era prejudice.

The trouble with this is that recent events (including the idea that we have to ease fans into a female Doctor) have shown that "mid 20th century era prejudice" is not merely a matter of history, but a very real current state of the world.

It's also fundamentally confusing the character of the Doctor (who is an alien from space) and the actor who played the Doctor (who was a man alive in the 1960's).

All in all it strikes me as the same kind of self-congratulatory bullshit as the attempted subversion of racist tropes in The Talons of Weng Chiang.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This sucks.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Isn't there a spoiler thread

I'm not empty quoting this, I'm just concerned that people didnt see it, or cant read or something.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's a non-story spoiler that he put in spoiler tags, it's probably not worth dragging out the spoiler thread (it hasn't been posted in since August) for something that minor. People should tag stuff when responding to it, though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Really, no matter how they write him, if he's not undoing the bad guys' plans by starting fires and other acts of general mischief, he's just not the First Doctor to me. :sigh:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I cringed a little when I heard that, but I tend to take such reporting with a grain or ten of salt. Willing to wait and see on this one.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Maybe this is before he gets jammed into London and is still getting over how stuffy Time Lord society is.

Maybe we'll even see them work with my favorite companion, Mr. Rock!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Chokes McGee posted:

Maybe this is before he gets jammed into London and is still getting over how stuffy Time Lord society is.

Maybe we'll even see them work with my favorite companion, Mr. Rock!

I was also partial to his other close companion - Mr Shovel-smash-back-of-someones-head.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Phurst Doctor, as he departs: Well, I didn't learn anything from this experience, and I'd like to further tarnish my legacy by saying that I am definitely a cynical authoritarian. Also, in my Sixth incarnation, I'm going to strangle someone, and it's going to be completely on purpose, and I'm going to really mean it, but not mean any of the apologies. It's what all of my incarnations will consider their greatest accomplishment.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bicyclops posted:

The Phurst Doctor, as he departs: Well, I didn't learn anything from this experience, and I'd like to further tarnish my legacy by saying that I am definitely a cynical authoritarian. Also, in my Sixth incarnation, I'm going to strangle someone, and it's going to be completely on purpose, and I'm going to really mean it, but not mean any of the apologies. It's what all of my incarnations will consider their greatest accomplishment.

Must be a parallel universe Thirst Doctor from the so-called "pilot" of An Unearthly Child.
Here's a short comparison.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Big Finish: Of course the First Doctor wouldn't share 1960s attitudes towards homosexuality, he's from an advanced alien civilisation.

Stephen Moffat: gently caress it, the show was made in the 60s, the Doctor's sexist.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I have a feeling it's going to be more nuanced than information hitherto released would suggest.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Yeah, I hope so too.

I'll judge when the special finally airs. I hope it's not true.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Big Finish: Of course the First Doctor wouldn't share 1960s attitudes towards homosexuality, he's from an advanced alien civilisation.

Stephen Moffat: gently caress it, the show was made in the 60s, the Doctor's sexist.

On that topic, probably one of the neatest companion chronicles they did revolves around Big Finish First Doctor companion Oliver Harper and his "secret crime".
The Doctor doesn't give two fucks and already knew, and Steven Taylor laughs because he's from the 23rd Century and who could give a gently caress?.

There's also a pretty funny exchange in Terms of Office, where a Time Lord political commentator is discussing the previous President Flavia, and it's something like;
"Blah blah inauspiscious Madame President - I've got nothing against women, I was a woman myself in a previous regeneration."

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
"Now look young lady, make yourself useful. This young fellow looks as though he needs some refreshment, and I know that Susan and I do too."

Firsty has never exactly been captain progressive.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

all-Rush mixtape posted:

NO SPOILERS
By edict of the moderators, this is a SPOILER-FREE ZONE. Other than backstage stuff (hiring people), DO NOT POST SPOILERS. AT ALL. Even if the Washington Post reveals video of Donald Trump handing a big stack of government secrets to Vladimir Putin and one of the papers is labeled 'Martha Jones is a Rutan', DON'T POST IT HERE. If you must post about spoilers, go to the spoiler thread. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

First 4 seasons of 4th doctors adventures for 3 £$€ per episode.
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/fourth-doctor-special-offers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Quick query for book readers, what’s the best Who book that uses time travel as a central concept (outside of turning up/departing)?

I keep coming back to the EDA ‘Anachrophobia’, but what else?

• Locked thread