Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sony gotten really bad at announcing games that won't be out for like three years. How many shows has Dad of War been at now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Sony gotten really bad at announcing games that won't be out for like three years. How many shows has Dad of War been at now?

2 e3's iirc

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I would assume TLOU2 is probably the holiday game next year and dad of war is coming sometime in the spring.

There's also that bad zombie game that has to come out at some point, I guess.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
GoW has been "Early 2018", which sounds like February, for a bit, though, I'll give them that. And they haven't teased that much ahead of release.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
GoW is spring of next year, Spiderman is summer, and Days Gone is fall. TLOU2 is a 2019 release at the earliest.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kraps posted:

How long does the Dualshock 4 need to be plugged in to my computer to wake up?

Update: it wouldn't charge from the computer but plugging it into the wall apparently works, it's doing that orange flashing.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Kraps posted:

Update: it wouldn't charge from the computer but plugging it into the wall apparently works, it's doing that orange flashing.

when hooked up to a computer, mine doesn't flash but definitely charges. hth.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am not ashamed to admit I like video games. Heck, it is my name!!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

GoW has been "Early 2018", which sounds like February, for a bit, though, I'll give them that. And they haven't teased that much ahead of release.

Holy gently caress I just now noticed that both Sony and Microsofts main console exclusive action franchises abreviate to GoW. That's silly.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ufarn posted:

With the exception of God of War: Ghost of Sparta and God of War: Betrayal, every game in the series has come out in March.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snak posted:

Holy gently caress I just now noticed that both Sony and Microsofts main console exclusive action franchises abreviate to GoW. That's silly.

And their latest iterations make their central characters old men and are father/son stories.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Harlock posted:

We need more release dates on some of these announced games. I'm fairly certain the next PS4 games I'm interested in are Digimon Cyber Slueth 2 and the Secret of Mana remake. Also give me that Sucker Punch Samurai game.

Maybe PSX will drop an "OUT NOW" game.

Unless they seriously overhaul the story and pacing of Secret of Mana, not worth it.

Tried playing it again on the SNES Classic and holy poo poo it's a grindy and poorly designed mess. Very much does not hold up, unlike a lot of the RPGs of that era (CT, Terranigma, and SD3 are all still awesome)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Detective No. 27 posted:

And their latest iterations make their central characters old men and are father/son stories.

There's a whole lot of dadgames this generation.

They all pale in comparison to Octodad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're a grindy and poorly designed mess

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dammit

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, it's funny how as these AAA lead designers age their stories all age with them, like they're all hacks who can't see two feet in front of their own faces.

God of War looks like poo poo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I don't think it makes you a hack to draw from your life experiences.

I do want to see some of these old man dads have beer guts rather than be super ripped old men.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
All these stories about parents or adults' relation to children are annoying insofar that they really exploded lately when devs (and Pixar people) got children of their own and "matured".

They also go to show that we need people who aren't white dudes making games if we want other stories to be told.

At least we're not doing the dog companion bit for a while.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't exactly have high hopes for God of War's new direction but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Dad self-insert stories can be a little tiresome but if they manage to mature past the old series' really distasteful ultraviolence then it's a win for the industry as far as I'm concerned.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

ufarn posted:

At least we're not doing the dog companion bit for a while.

When their kids grow up it's going to be a weird time for video game stories when the "empty nester" narratives explode

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ufarn posted:

They also go to show that we need people who aren't white dudes making games if we want other stories to be told.

I don't agree with you. Marty Stratton and Hugo Martin made a great job with Doom's story. Also Machinegames with Wolfenstein.

No other story is worth telling aside from killing DEMON SCUM!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Lakbay posted:

When their kids grow up it's going to be a weird time for video game stories when the "empty nester" narratives explode
Can't wait for my mid-life crisis games where all heroes need to wear a leather jacket and ride a Harley.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ufarn posted:

Can't wait for my mid-life crisis games where all heroes need to wear a leather jacket and ride a Harley.

Duke Nukem won't be back for a while, thankfully.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Alimony Tycoon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Zombies will be replaced as the generic enemy by scarily weird young people

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ufarn posted:

Full Throttle remake coming

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

Zombies will be replaced as the generic enemy by scarily weird young people

Isnt this the plot of akibas trip

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Big Boss carrying Solid Snake in a baby Bjorn while he fights in the vietnam war.

Kojima's magnum dad opus ---

gently caress, close enough.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ufarn posted:

Alimony Tycoon.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don’t know what you’re talking about The Witcher 3 was a great Dad game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

My favorite gaming dad moment was when Chris Metzen decided it was really, really important for Thrall to make an orc baby all of a sudden around the same time that he had his first kid.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sakurazuka posted:

I talk about games with the guy I know at work who plays games.

He has a Switch but hasn't bought Mario yet :psyduck:

He's lying to you to get closer to you and steal your money, that's the only explanation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's all a part of the same patriarchal power fantasy. It's just that now as these guys' dicks are getting soft it's shifted from being a buff dude who all the chicks that want to gently caress to leaving a "legacy" for their kids and being able to "connect" to them and instill their values. If the intended theme of the new God of War game is anything but that Kratos may be a bad father but he's just trying his best with what he knows, I will be eminently surprised.

Machinegames is actually handling it really well with Wolfenstein actually. Many folks think they're Kratos but they are actually more like BJ's dad.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Manatee Cannon posted:

gamer's a dumb term but it'll be nice when we reach a point where nobody feels ashamed to admit they like playing video games

No we have to go on a multi page derail on whether it's shameful to play a 3DS on public transportation.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Video game stories are all universally poorly written surface level drivel so who cares as long as the game looks good and the gameplay is fun???

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ufarn posted:

Alimony Tycoon.

Lawyer 01 is really good value!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Video game stories are all universally poorly written surface level drivel so who cares as long as the game looks good and the gameplay is fun???

Well, for one, because they could be better and it's disappointing that they're not.

In addition, muh immersion, you see.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Game writing has improved tremendously over even the last few years and some of the most moving experiences I've had in any media have come from them. People hold up books as some kind of ultimate standard of artistic expression, but I read a lot of books too and I can tell you most aren't any better in terms of conveying big ideas.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's all a part of the same patriarchal power fantasy. It's just that now as these guys' dicks are getting soft it's shifted from being a buff dude who all the chicks that want to gently caress to leaving a "legacy" for their kids and being able to "connect" to them and instill their values. If the intended theme of the new God of War game is anything but that Kratos may be a bad father but he's just trying his best with what he knows, I will be eminently surprised.

Machinegames is actually handling it really well with Wolfenstein actually. Many folks think they're Kratos but they are actually more like BJ's dad.

I don't think this is all as prevalent as you're making it out to be. Yes, narrative topics in games have aged with their developers...but they've also aged with their audience. If you were a teenager in the PSone days then you've witnessed a gradual maturation of the medium's storytelling capacity, which experienced a minor reset when the wii/iOS era ushered in a large portion of casual players both young and old. Meanwhile, people who've continually been playing single player narratives since the early golden console era have kind of driven the market for what kind of topics are popularly discussed in them. And sure, narrative trends come and go, the stuff that seemed fresh during the Bush II era seems a bit overcooked now. If anything there is a pretty open line of dialogue between developers and the community of critics/reviewers/players...so I think creative process regarding what gets bankrolled isn't nearly as opaque as it is in other popular media. For example, think of all the mediocre, pandering poo poo that the Marvel/DC movie franchises pump out 5-6 times a year to their audiences, and how much ideological insinuation is going on in that exchange.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Game writing has improved tremendously over even the last few years and some of the most moving experiences I've had in any media have come from them. People hold up books as some kind of ultimate standard of artistic expression, but I read a lot of books too and I can tell you most aren't any better in terms of conveying big ideas.

I mean yeah, you can hold up books as a great artistic standard and then you can also point to Twilight.