Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

On the slight chance you were unaware, the glyphs are side-by-side for the backlighting. Just wanted to make sure you factored that in for any replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That K-type looks gorgeous. I'm still too in love with the split design of the MS Natural 4k though.

I guess I'll eventually have to bite the bullet and build my own keyboard because everyone who makes custom ergonomic keyboards stumble on the finishing line and make a retarded non-standard arrow key layout or similar mistake.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
K-type is nice but once i went down to 60% i dont think i could ever go back up to TKL.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

On the slight chance you were unaware, the glyphs are side-by-side for the backlighting. Just wanted to make sure you factored that in for any replacements.

I wonder how perfectly horizontal they have to be, or if one could be slightly higher on the cap without the lighting getting funny?

After years of vertical legends (and typing on actual typewriters, where shift physically moved the ribbon and platen up/down), I'm psychologically invested the shifted character being the one "above" the unshifted character. I feel like pure side-by-side would be confusing to me, but even a slight elevation of one glyph or the other would help me quickly identify which one I'd get if I shifted it.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
66% perfect layout y/n?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Perfect layout imo

Or

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

teethgrinder posted:

pgroce posted:

I wonder how perfectly horizontal they have to be, or if one could be slightly higher on the cap without the lighting getting funny?

After years of vertical legends (and typing on actual typewriters, where shift physically moved the ribbon and platen up/down), I'm psychologically invested the shifted character being the one "above" the unshifted character. I feel like pure side-by-side would be confusing to me, but even a slight elevation of one glyph or the other would help me quickly identify which one I'd get if I shifted it.
It looks like the K-Type uses the same lighting configuration as the Corsairs, with the LED above the stalk of the switch, and vertical legends work fine.

The lower legend is definitely noticably darker in person, this doesn't come through well on my camera, but it's still very usable.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

wolrah posted:

It looks like the K-Type uses the same lighting configuration as the Corsairs, with the LED above the stalk of the switch, and vertical legends work fine.

The lower legend is definitely noticably darker in person, this doesn't come through well on my camera, but it's still very usable.

That's really good to know! Thanks.

CyberPingu posted:

Perfect layout imo

:hfive:

Along with the Halo Trues (rip), this is exactly why I signed up for the WhiteFox KS (rip me).

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

pgroce posted:

That's really good to know! Thanks.

:hfive:

Along with the Halo Trues (rip), this is exactly why I signed up for the WhiteFox KS (rip me).

I dont have one unfortunately, i have an ergodox and a Pok3r but next time either the Whitefox or Tada rolls around im grabbing one

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

G-Prime posted:

K-Type came in. It's not as blindingly bright as the videos made it look. The aluminum is gorgeous, and the magnetic bar they set up to incline it is great. Feels premium all around. The glyphs look questionable to me (I don't like side-by-side), but the caps themselves feel nice. I made a mistake in that I bought the version with the Kailh reds (back before I realized I wanted a heavier switch). Now trying to figure out next steps. Thinking about buying a bunch of Cherry MX RGB Blacks, and replacing the springs in half of them with something roughly equivalent to Dark Greys. I'm told that Kailh switches can't easily have the springs swapped, which is what's driving me that direction, but if anybody knows a decent way to do that I'd love to hear it.

Need to decide if I want to do different caps on it too. So many decisions to make.

It's only the Kailh box switches that have a proprietary spring. (smaller spring to fit inside the box slider). You should be able to order aftermarket springs and put them in the reds.

I'm with everyone here that I can't really go back to TKL after 60% and 75%. Still giving the K-Type a try though, but I might end up just selling it.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Good responses, guys. Yeah, I knew the characters were side-by-side for that reason, but I still don't like how they look with that.

I figured the springs were the same, I've just been struggling to find information on how to open them. But I think I've got that figured out now, so I'm probably just going to order a bunch of 60g and 80g springs and see what I think of them. Still need to figure out what I'm going to do about caps. I've got a Tai-Hao set incoming for my Pok3r right now. As far as the 60%/75%/TKL debate goes, I'm not really going back. I use my 60% at work, and I'll use the TKL at home, to replace my Corsair K70. First order of business once Monday rolls around is to use the new release of the configuration app for the K-Type to literally duplicate the Pok3r layout on it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

wolrah posted:

Usable sure but I personally feel it looks bad (in person).

I don't need the legends much so it's really more about aesthetics for me at this point. K-Type is the only keyboard I have with backlighting at this point ... mostly as a show-piece heh.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Mini USB port on my TADA68 is loose and won't hold the cable in anymore. Don't know how to solder or have the tools for it. Any suggestions on what to do?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Instrumedley posted:

Mini USB port on my TADA68 is loose and won't hold the cable in anymore. Don't know how to solder or have the tools for it. Any suggestions on what to do?

Glue?

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
My K-Type also arrived (Kaihua Silvers). Great keyboard now, it definitely feels like a premium product. I'm really looking forward to getting under the hood more once the final software gets released.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009

Think the port needs to be entirely replaced because the plastic sheath surrounding the prongs have come off.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Instrumedley posted:

Maybe contact KBDfans, explain the problem and see if they will sell you a bare PCB to swap in

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Someone outbid me for Godspeed Modifiers. I hope they're okay with paying ~$130 for them :gonk:

Anyone in this thread have a set they're thinking of letting go by any chance? :v:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I had a few too many drinks earlier this week and have some keyboards arriving today (MK Fission RGB with Cherry Greens and Leopoldo FC980M with Cherry Blacks). Miami keycaps should be getting in next week (they were supposed to get in today, thanks FedEx for giving them a nice tour around Ohio!).

Meantime, I’ve been getting my 3D printer settings tuned up:

I have some translucent orange and blue PETG for a full set I might give a shot when I’m out of purple.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 3, 2017

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
There's a certain Zen calm you get as you watch your drop fulfillment date skate steadily back with each monthly update. I feel weirdly serene whenever I see some new shiny thing on the horizon. Why, after all, should I think about buying a new set of caps or a keyboard when I'm still waiting for the last ones I ordered? Maybe they'll be endgame. Maybe they will complete me.

I close the window with the new shiny in it and get on with my day. Good things come in time.

(Send me my loving poo poo or I'll cut you, Massdrop.)

mewse
May 2, 2006

pgroce posted:

There's a certain Zen calm you get as you watch your drop fulfillment date skate steadily back with each monthly update. I feel weirdly serene whenever I see some new shiny thing on the horizon. Why, after all, should I think about buying a new set of caps or a keyboard when I'm still waiting for the last ones I ordered? Maybe they'll be endgame. Maybe they will complete me.

I close the window with the new shiny in it and get on with my day. Good things come in time.

Are you waiting on something handcrafted like those set-matching USB cables that are literally paracord on heatshrunk connectors?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I draw the line at $45 USB cables.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Has anyone used the GMMK-TKL? I’m taking a look at it and it looks pretty good, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else has had exp with it. Does it play well with an MBP?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

namaste faggots posted:

I draw the line at $45 USB cables.
Artisan caps

mewse
May 2, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Artisan caps

I've spent $1300 upgrading my keyboard, gently caress anyone who says it is a "bad investment"

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

pgroce posted:

My favorite instance of this was when I ordered a Lamy 2000 fountain pen from them and apparently the shipment from Lamy got hosed up and all 200 some odd pens from the drop went to some random in Iowa so they had to do it again, as an apology we all got free ink though, so that was nice, but it did set it back like a month or two.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Ugh artisan caps are the nerd equivalent of installing massive fart cans on your civic type r

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

K-type showed up, but the instructions I can find anywhere are bit light. Do I have to download a custom firmware to turn off the backlighting or is there a macro that I just don't know?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've been unplugging it and hiding it when my wife comes home

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

teethgrinder posted:

I've been unplugging it and hiding it when my wife comes home

L m a o

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

DonkeyHotay posted:

K-type showed up, but the instructions I can find anywhere are bit light. Do I have to download a custom firmware to turn off the backlighting or is there a macro that I just don't know?

You can use the updated default firmware, but that requires flashing it. Se here: https://github.com/kiibohd/controller/blob/master/Documentation/Keyboards/K-Type.md and here: https://input.club/configurator/

The instructions are already waaayyy better than when I tried.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
Okay I have a strange issue with my relatively new keyboard. It's a Varmilo88 and it's been working great the last few months. I recently installed the Fall Creators Update for Win 10 and now my caps lock doesn't work. The LED indicator is turning on and off normally but the actual caps lock key doesn't work (it's my push-to-talk key for discord).

If I boot to safe mode it works normally. I've tried removing the keyboard in device manager and using a different USB port to no avail. Anything else I can try?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What type of switch does the MK Disco TKL Black PBT actually use? On the Amazon page linked there, it says "KBT (Greetech)", but I thought those were two different brands. Does that make it a fake, and should I just order directly from MK?

This keyboard was listed as a quick pick in the OP, is it still considered a good first mechanical keyboard? I need to get a keyboard of my own, and I'm thinking of choosing this one.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

rarbatrol posted:

You can use the updated default firmware, but that requires flashing it. Se here: https://github.com/kiibohd/controller/blob/master/Documentation/Keyboards/K-Type.md and here: https://input.club/configurator/

The instructions are already waaayyy better than when I tried.

Cool, thanks. I'm looking at the configurator page, and if I'm reading this correctly you can create your own macros and there are a few built in on Layer 1. What I am not seeing is how you switch between layers in the first place. I'm sure it is very obvious and I will feel very stupid as soon as somebody tells me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

What type of switch does the MK Disco TKL Black PBT actually use? On the Amazon page linked there, it says "KBT (Greetech)", but I thought those were two different brands. Does that make it a fake, and should I just order directly from MK?

This keyboard was listed as a quick pick in the OP, is it still considered a good first mechanical keyboard? I need to get a keyboard of my own, and I'm thinking of choosing this one.

KBTalking switches are custom Greetech switches apparently. When I search "disco tkl" on amazon canada they are all KBT switches.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mewse posted:

KBTalking switches are custom Greetech switches apparently. When I search "disco tkl" on amazon canada they are all KBT switches.

I see - Greetech is listed in the OP as being lesser quality than KBT, is KBT still a good option? How about that keyboard in particular, is it a good choice?

Doing some more research on my own, it looks like KBT switches are on par with Cherry switches. Okay, I think I'm happy getting that keyboard! I wonder if I should get some keycaps. Can I just buy any old keycap, like if I wanted to make my ESC key red, or do I have to buy keycaps specific to a keyboard?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 4, 2017

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Can I just buy any old keycap, like if I wanted to make my ESC key red, or do I have to buy keycaps specific to a keyboard?

As long as the keycap is MX compatible, that board is a standard layout so every keycap set should be compatible with it.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
I figured it out, it was actually nvidia drivers that were at fault. I had caps lock bound to push-to-talk record voice in shadowplay (which I've always done) but somehow it actually broke caps lock in general windows use. Weird (388.00 drivers).

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

DonkeyHotay posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm looking at the configurator page, and if I'm reading this correctly you can create your own macros and there are a few built in on Layer 1. What I am not seeing is how you switch between layers in the first place. I'm sure it is very obvious and I will feel very stupid as soon as somebody tells me.

I would download and flash the firmware as-is before trying anything else, as I had a number of issues before I did so. AFAIK, you'll need to assign a key/combination for layer switching. As far as configuration, there's a standalone release of the configurator available now (11/5 was the original official date, not sure if this is that, or if there will still be a "final" 1.0.)

https://github.com/kiibohd/configurator/releases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Pollyanna posted:

Has anyone used the GMMK-TKL? I’m taking a look at it and it looks pretty good, but I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else has had exp with it. Does it play well with an MBP?

I have one and it's pretty good. I don't like installing additional software for peripherals so I'm using the built-in keyboard functions. It looks great, but build quality is OK, the top plate is aluminium but the rest is plastic. RGB LEDs are a little dim but that's because of the black plate. Works great without software so I think it should be OK with OSX.

I'd say it's a poor man's K-Type with no underglow or programmability, but looks better. It's also a slight step up compared to the Team Wolf Zhuque. All three use the same hotswap sockets.