Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Flavahbeast posted:

Bernie pledged to continue the drone program and has voiced support for Mueller's red scare witch hunt:

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/925014333494571008

Sure, Bernie might be better than the GOP but it's it really defensible to vote for him?

yes. what you guys don't seem to get is that we're not advocating voting only for the purest, most lenin-like dems in existence. we're advocating for drawing lines in the sand. racism is a limit. when a "lesser evil" candidate goes past that limit, he's just evil, and not worth support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I don't think the people who refuse to vote for Bernie because he's not pure enough are a large enough voting group to ever matter.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Condiv posted:

yes. what you guys don't seem to get is that we're not advocating voting only for the purest, most lenin-like dems in existence. we're advocating for drawing lines in the sand. racism is a limit. when a "lesser evil" candidate goes past that limit, he's just evil, and not worth support.

It's good to know that women's health is NOT a limit then

ffs

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Flavahbeast posted:

Sure, Bernie might be better than the GOP but it's it really defensible to vote for him?

It's all about compromise in the end. What are you willing to give for what you get? Bernie offered enough to attract people outside of the mainstream, particularly left leaning independents. You may want to pretend like leftists on this board hold Bernie up as perfect and quite frankly it's simply not true. That being said, he offered enough (and in the right way) to make people believe he was going to challenge the corporate vultures destroying American society (which is a much bigger issue than most centrists want to admit). If Hillary had done the same, she would have won. I would have voted for Hillary if she had actually made an effort to convince me she would challenge the economic dogma that has our country paralyzed.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Flavahbeast posted:

Bernie pledged to continue the drone program and has voiced support for Mueller's red scare witch hunt:

This stands up if you see the Mueller investigation as a red scare as opposed to an investigation frequently vindicated through information available in the public record

My dope-ler radar is picking up waaaaaaay to much nose in this thread to work correctly, so if this post was sarcastic, I apologise.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

my bony fealty posted:

It's good to know that women's health is NOT a limit then

ffs

i don't think you actually believe that about perriello tbh

you're just bullshitting cause you think i'm arguing for full-communism now or no votes or something

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

NewForumSoftware posted:

It's all about compromise in the end. What are you willing to give for what you get? Bernie offered enough to attract people outside of the mainstream, particularly left leaning independents. You may want to pretend like leftists on this board hold Bernie up as perfect and quite frankly it's simply not true. That being said, he offered enough (and in the right way) to make people believe he was going to challenge the corporate vultures destroying American society (which is a much bigger issue than most centrists want to admit). If Hillary had done the same, she would have won. I would have voted for Hillary if she had actually made an effort to convince me she would challenge the economic dogma that has our country paralyzed.

Wait hold on

That sounds an awful lot like you’re compromising your beliefs to vote for the lesser of two evils

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

poopinmymouth posted:

I wasn't clear then. VA going blue is a reason for the HRC parade to mellow on the bullying. I'd still have zero regrets if VA had gone Trump and I'd blame the same people I do in this reality, and that's Trump voters first and foremost, and next those who pushed HRC and fell for her as a candidate over Sanders.

I see. Would you say, then, that the layers of abstraction between your vote and the outcome are irrelevant, and that if someone came to you and said you are the electoral college this year and we're installing Donald Trump unless you tell us to install <centrist Democrat of your choice>, you'd not make that substitution? I think that's a principled enough stand, even if I personally abhor the principles. What I can't stand is when people use the layers of abstraction to wimp out on making a tough choice.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's a good NewForumSoftware post.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Condiv posted:

i don't think you actually believe that about perriello tbh

you're just bullshitting cause you think i'm arguing for full-communism now or no votes or something

Naw I believe Perriello is on the record voting for a horrifically regressive anti-choice amendment

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Wait hold on

That sounds an awful lot like you’re compromising your beliefs to vote for the lesser of two evils

yes. i get this might shock you, but the backlash against the lesser evil strategy isn't specifically that people ever vote the lesser evil, but that there are people saying there is no situation where you shouldn't vote for the lesser evil. for example, when the lesser evil is a racist shitstain, he doesn't deserve your vote.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

my bony fealty posted:

Naw I believe Perriello is on the record voting for a horrifically regressive anti-choice amendment

yes, and he's also on the record saying he hosed up and wouldn't do that again, and that he'd work to counteract that kind of pro-life bullshit as governor. meanwhile, we have northam saying he'll implement racist policy if he's made governor. the situations aren't very similar at all despite you trying to force them to be, and that's why i think you're bullshitting

Condiv fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 3, 2017

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Wait hold on

I don't consider Bernie to be an evil? Now if Bernie got into office and gave up fighting sure, I'd abandon him quickly. But really all I'm looking for is a politician who will fight the abuses of the corporations and ultrarich.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
The problem is that the lesser evils are usually way too close in degree of evil, sanders had some bad opinions but he was still vastly better than the alternatives.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's literally the day after we found out that the Democratic Party nearly grifted itself out of existence, and yet this thread is full of dunderheads who think that yelling about an individual vote is relevant in any way. The lack of perspective boggles the mind.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Look, for those actually in Virginia and voting there, I just want to wish you good luck. Virginia must stand as if she alone were America still.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Grammarchist posted:

Look, for those actually in Virginia and voting there, I just want to wish you good luck. Virginia must stand as if she alone were America still.

"and the winner of the 2017 Virginia governor race is in a surprise upset....re-establishing the confederacy???"

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

yes, and he's also on the record saying he hosed up and wouldn't do that again, and that he'd work to counteract that kind of pro-life bullshit as governor. meanwhile, we have northam saying he'll implement racist policy if he's made governor. the situations aren't very similar at all despite you trying to force them to be, and that's why i think you're bullshitting

my bony fealty posted:

You're not gonna get an explanation for this one and if you are it will be tantamount to "well Tom said he was sorry about that :cheers:"

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Regarding Virginia, if you are concerned about race issues, you should ask Virginia PoC political advocacy groups who you should cast your vote for, who they think you should vote for.

They can give you an explanation if they want, but if they urge you to vote strategically for the lesser evil because they feel like it is the best possible option at this current point in time for them, respect and acknowledge that. If they say that they do not want to risk the consequences of idealistic voting versus strategic voting because they do not want to live in a state governed by a republican, respect and acknowledge that. If you're white and abstain or vote third party anyway even when PoC caucuses and political groups are largely requesting strategic votes against a Republican who is boldly testing identitarian white messaging, then there's a problem and you're doing something not too good.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

and? are you saying i shouldn't believe perriello or are you saying i shouldn't ever think people change?

if it's the latter, well, sorry that's not how i work, even on these forums

Condiv fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 3, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

No, bad, stop. Most lefties irl and itt are fine, don't let armchair "progressive"-but-actually-divisive sockpuppets skew your judgement.

They're living wedges. Recognize that and harden your circuitry against their interference.

The people attacking the Democrats from the left in this thread, even if they sometimes say something dumb, are still far better than people like you. You claim to want the Democrats to move to the left, but I don't think I've ever seen you say a single thing condemning the Democrats in a context that wasn't trying to prove that you're totally left-wing despite the vast majority of your posts in this context being attacks on leftists. If the Democratic Party was entirely made up of people like you and Ogmius, we would never see positive change.

Like, in the context of this discussion I actually agree that people should still vote for Northram, but I can't understand the mindset that would lead to someone's main response being irritation towards the people condemning him (or rather I can understand it, but the results don't paint a pretty picture of the people in question). A reasonable person would think "if a lot of people are responding this way, clearly the Democrats/Democratic politicians should change their approach to make people more enthusiastic towards voting for them." This is also the more pragmatic choice* - when significant numbers of people think or act a certain way, you can't change their behavior on any sort of scale through making an argument about why they're wrong; you have to change the conditions that lead to their actions. But, for some reason, your main response is just irritation towards these people, rather than irritation towards the politicians who acted in a way that made people less enthusiastic, if not outright disgusted, towards them. I wonder why this might be?

* This is the part that really gets me; you claim to care about results, but what you're doing won't accomplish anything at all. The only solution to lower voter enthusiasm is to change the behavior of politicians. You're not going to get unenthusiastic voters to go to the polls by making an argument about why it's more logical to vote for the lesser evil (even if that's an argument I agree with). I mean, seriously, take a moment and think about things logically instead of acting on your bizarre knee-jerk distaste for the left.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 3, 2017

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

and? are you saying i shouldn't believe perriello or are you saying i shouldn't ever think people change?

if it's the former, well, sorry that's not how i work, even on these forums

Nah, just saying your hypothetical gets the benefit of the doubt while another guy doesn’t and you’ve jumped straight to “he’s a racist and always was.” You’ve made it clear that you have no insight to impart other than shouting The Democrats Are A Waste, as is your caricature.

Your narrative is based on false assumptions and bad data.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Nah, just saying your hypothetical gets the benefit of the doubt while another guy doesn’t and you’ve jumped straight to “he’s a racist and always was.”

You don't see any difference between someone who held a bad position and recanted versus someone who just adopted a plank from Trump's platform?

I don't know about "and always was" but I mean, he just said some pretty racist poo poo.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Condiv posted:

They're plenty similar because they are both examples of politicians buckling to the pressure of their political situation. Maybe you'd like to defend Perriello's strong pro-Second Amendment, anti-assault weapons ban stance?

Northam's a goddamn idiot who fell for the racist bait but he has been consistently progressive as a Virginia legislator. Perriello can't say the same. And I'd vote for either of them over any Republican!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Nah, just saying your hypothetical gets the benefit of the doubt while another guy doesn’t and you’ve jumped straight to “he’s a racist and always was.” You’ve made it clear that you have no insight to impart other than shouting The Democrats Are A Waste, as is your caricature.

Your narrative is based on false assumptions and bad data.

uh, why should northam get the benefit of the doubt when he's saying racist poo poo right now?

i mean, i'd get you saying this if northam had, for instance, voted for some anti-sanctuary city legislation in the past and then said he regretted it and would fight that as governor. then you'd have some kind of equality between the two, and perhaps northam would deserve the benefit of the doubt. but he's, right now saying he'd support anti-sanctuary city legislation in VA as governor. why should i doubt what he's saying right now your boy fancy? that doesn't make a single bit of sense!

my bony fealty posted:

They're plenty similar because they are both examples of politicians buckling to the pressure of their political situation.

Northam's a goddamn idiot who fell for the racist bait but he has been consistently progressive as a Virginia legislator. Perriello can't say the same. And I'd vote for either of them over any Republican!

they're not for the reasons i just listed. happy to help.

quote:

Maybe you'd like to defend Perriello's strong pro-Second Amendment, anti-assault weapons ban stance?

what's there to defend? i think gun control should be stronger, but it's not a huge issue for me

Condiv fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 3, 2017

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

NewForumSoftware posted:

You don't see any difference between someone who held a bad position and recanted versus someone who just adopted a plank from Trump's platform?

I don't know about "and always was" but I mean, he just said some pretty racist poo poo.

Considering one guy had time to be yelled at and recant, and the other happened yesterday? Yes. I see a difference.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Considering one guy had time to be yelled at and recant, and the other happened yesterday? Yes. I see a difference.

well, stop supporting him until he recants. this is pretty easy ybf. in fact, it's literally the carrot and stick approach you supposedly support

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Your Boy Fancy posted:

So you're saying we should be forgiving of politicians who turn racist because they could recant in the future? Sounds like a Trump voter's argument.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Flavahbeast posted:

LOL, wtf?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

uh, what about this is sending up alarms for you?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

uh, what about this is sending up alarms for you?

The part I bolded.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Condiv posted:

what's there to defend? i think gun control should be stronger, but it's not a huge issue for me

No purity but my purity I guess?

Like I said earlier, people are entirely within their rights and justified in withdrawing support from Northram if that's what they want to do.

But don't pretend flawless positions.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

RuanGacho posted:

Who's pretending someone has flawless positions?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

uh, why should northam get the benefit of the doubt when he's saying racist poo poo right now?

i mean, i'd get you saying this if northam had, for instance, voted for some anti-sanctuary city legislation in the past

Oh, you mean like in February?

http://www.richmond.com/news/virgin...7d994dc5d6.html

The whole thing is based on a show vote in the first place, and you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

RuanGacho posted:

No purity but my purity I guess?

Like I said earlier, people are entirely within their rights and justified in withdrawing support from Northram if that's what they want to do.

pro-gun dems exist and aren't terrible. pro-racist dems shouldn't exist and are extremely terrible. i don't think that's a controversial statement tbh

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Carrot and stick is a good way to put it. If he's weak-willed enough to fold over a non-existent sanctuary city issue, he should be easy to bully into doing the right thing when he's in office.
Lefties should remember that the leftist solution to a coward isn't to just abandon him as he flees, as simple as that may be. It's blocking detachments. Tankies know what I'm talking about - back in line, shtrafniki scum! :commissar:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

The part I bolded.

I think the original comment was sarcasm but yeah there are a number of people who believe that because American history glosses over the Red Scare and blacklists so completely that they confuse Mueller for HUAC.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Oh, you mean like in February?

http://www.richmond.com/news/virgin...7d994dc5d6.html

The whole thing is based on a show vote in the first place, and you don’t know what you’re talking about.

he reversed himself and said he'd support this legislation as governor ybf. why should he deserve the benefit of the doubt on his words as of yesterday? what are you even trying to argue here, other than it should be ok for you to vote for the guy who's decided to side with racists against his own party?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

New VA GOV poll: Gillespie +3 :kingsley:

Don't get too excited though; it's from The Polling Company (R) and the sample seems to have a disproportionate amount of old people. And half of it was conducted online, 1/4 cell, 1/4 landline, which seems goofy to me, who knows little about polling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kavros posted:

Regarding Virginia, if you are concerned about race issues, you should ask Virginia PoC political advocacy groups who you should cast your vote for, who they think you should vote for.

They can give you an explanation if they want, but if they urge you to vote strategically for the lesser evil because they feel like it is the best possible option at this current point in time for them, respect and acknowledge that. If they say that they do not want to risk the consequences of idealistic voting versus strategic voting because they do not want to live in a state governed by a republican, respect and acknowledge that. If you're white and abstain or vote third party anyway even when PoC caucuses and political groups are largely requesting strategic votes against a Republican who is boldly testing identitarian white messaging, then there's a problem and you're doing something not too good.

• Locked thread