Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Josef bugman posted:

Except it won't. They will just build new tribes. That is what we, as humans, do.

I don't mean them as a slam-dunk "take that athetits" what I mean to show is that assholes and people that support assholes will always gain power and declare other people part of the outgroup regardless of faith in a divinity.

Again, I must stress that atheism is not on top of the list of priorities or a salvation of man. But I think its a real strike off the bucket list. If you could cross out 1 out of 100 problems and reduce it down to 99 that is a win no matter how you look at it. Besides, magic, come on. For our integrity as a species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Genocyber posted:

It doesn't matter because there is no argument for it. Puberty blockers do not have adverse effects but undergoing the wrong puberty demonstrably does, therefore treating any kid that might be trans as trans is the only sensible procedure. Anyone who argues otherwise is almost certainly transphobic.
If puberty blockers have no adverse effects could someone who just isn't interested in having kids take them forever and forgo puberty entirely? Like legitimately is that an option for the youth of tomorrow?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah when I think "tribalism" probably the last thing on the list is religion.

Terrible Opinions posted:

If puberty blockers have no adverse effects could someone who just isn't interested in having kids take them forever and forgo puberty entirely? Like legitimately is that an option for the youth of tomorrow?

I don't know if anybody's tried taking them that long but I wouldn't want to be the first to test it.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah when I think "tribalism" probably the last thing on the list is religion.

I live in Norway, but even I heard that lovely God and guns song. If redneck identity is not religiously related tribalism then I need to have a couple of things explained to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Midig posted:

I live in Norway, but even I heard that lovely God and guns song. If redneck identity is not religiously related tribalism then I need to have a couple of things explained to me.

I don't know what song you're talking about but where I live tribalism generally means adopting a political party line for everything.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know what song you're talking about but where I live tribalism generally means adopting a political party line for everything.

I think of it like that, but also cultural aspects added in. Anything people use to make a us vs. them mentality.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

When I said no adverse effects I was referring to more short-term use because that's what was relevant. I'm not terribly well-informed about long-term use like that but I think it might be okay??? I know there's at least one intersex condition that results in no puberty naturally and I don't think it's life threatening but don't quote me on that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Midig posted:

Besides, magic, come on. For our integrity as a species.

Why does it hurt to believe in magic. i can believe in Justice and it has as much proof.

I guess that, from a purely personal perspective, I would prefer a bit more of human weirdness to be maintained.

Midig posted:

If redneck identity is not religiously related tribalism then I need to have a couple of things explained to me.

"Redneck" generally has a lot of different meanings, the fact of being religious is generally not that high from what I can tell. In general the emphasis seems to be a bit more on "opposition to rules imposed from above whilst our way of life has just as much validity and, due to our lower economic circumstances is more 'true'"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

I am sure that weakening the hold of tribalism for billions will more than make up for the mistakes of personalities that are not even relevant anymore.

Don't oversell it too much, now.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Genocyber posted:

When I said no adverse effects I was referring to more short-term use because that's what was relevant. I'm not terribly well-informed about long-term use like that but I think it might be okay??? I know there's at least one intersex condition that results in no puberty naturally and I don't think it's life threatening but don't quote me on that.
Thank you for tempering my expectations ultra violent anime name person.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Josef bugman posted:

Why does it hurt to believe in magic. I can believe in Justice and it has as much proof.

Well, belief in crystal healing might not hurt people in all circumstances, but it does not help either. Its just kind of there, taking up space on the bucket list. TIme better allocated to solving the other 99 problems. Besides, arguing that abstract ideas are as true as the belief that you can shoot fireballs out of your hands will be needlessly pedantic.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Midig posted:

Well, belief in crystal healing might not hurt people in all circumstances, but it does not help either. Its just kind of there, taking up space on the bucket list. TIme better allocated to solving the other 99 problems. Besides, arguing that abstract ideas are as true as the belief that you can shoot fireballs out of your hands will be needlessly pedantic.

That is fair.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s easier to just learn how to put on a condom. Birth control prescriptions are also way cheaper.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Why does it hurt to believe in magic. i can believe in Justice and it has as much proof.

I guess that, from a purely personal perspective, I would prefer a bit more of human weirdness to be maintained.

"Redneck" generally has a lot of different meanings, the fact of being religious is generally not that high from what I can tell. In general the emphasis seems to be a bit more on "opposition to rules imposed from above whilst our way of life has just as much validity and, due to our lower economic circumstances is more 'true'"

There is also a lot of solid leftism in some forms of redneck identity, especially since one of the origins for redneck is the red handkerchiefs the strikers at Blair Mountain wore.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

They have no adverse effects, when used appropriately. They've been used in patients with precocious puberty for years. They aren't good when taken in perpetuity, no, because there are issues with skeletal development in the absence of sex hormones.

I mean, your question is a little ridiculous. People use medical treatments for an intended purpose. You're proposing something that falls outside of its intended purpose. For a period approaching 5-ish years, they're adequately safe. Indefinite use isn't their intended use, and as such, there's not really a body of research on the effects of that.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Jesse Singal's schtick is basically alarmist "political correctness has gone too far," crap, aimed at trans activism, but in an indirect way. He doesn't present the activism side, or really address the context. He sells one side in an alarmist but vague way. It's for people who don't like trans activism but don't want to talk about it either, they just want it to be proven wrong and go away.

He's had trans women talk to him calmly and rationally, but he doesn't seem to listen, or quote them in his articles. He blocks them on twitter. He acts like a trolly little douche on twitter too, showing up to be nice to people who have been called out by trans women. He doesn't present the issues or discussion, he just lets the aggrieved parties affect their poses of wounded noble innocents.

So like, basically, he operates as a political enemy of trans activism, a propagandist. There's no reason to think he engages with trans women in a way that's about good faith, and lots of reasons to think the opposite.

I think Contrapoints has handled this pretty poorly.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Didn't see anybody post this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGi24uO63TE

These two do go great together. They did a hangout on Garrett's channel once back before Contra was quite as popular.

(I miss Garrett. I miss a lot of Leftist YouTubers in fact.)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

aware of dog posted:

Why did Singal tweet out that piece again now? It's more than a year old and it seems like he just did it to piss people off

If we assume Signal is being deliberately a little poo poo, he was nice to Contra so she'd defend (at least talking to) him then posts it to make people mad at her by proxy.

Basically sowing divisions similar to "Just asking questions"

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Religion is very convenient for justifying atrocities. Especially when a god is involved. The world wouldn't be perfect, but I do think it would be a better place if theists were in the minority. The fact that some atheist celebrities turned out to be idiots or bigots hasn't changed my mind on this.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Stormgale posted:

If we assume Signal is being deliberately a little poo poo, he was nice to Contra so she'd defend (at least talking to) him then posts it to make people mad at her by proxy.

Basically sowing divisions similar to "Just asking questions"

"Here look at this good trans woman, being centrist and not about trans rights and idpol, who has no idea who/what I am."

"Oh no, look how she is being attacked and maligned by some mean trans activists for talking to me! What nasty people."

"Hey look, what do you know, here's more nasty things trans activists have done that I happen to already have written about."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

nickmeister posted:

Religion is very convenient for justifying atrocities. Especially when a god is involved. The world wouldn't be perfect, but I do think it would be a better place if theists were in the minority. The fact that some atheist celebrities turned out to be idiots or bigots hasn't changed my mind on this.

I'd just put it that Atheism is not neccesarily a more moral/ethical position than Faith.

If Singal is just a bomb thrower, which he appears to be, then I do hope this serves as a useful thing, but also I think that mocking and sending really quite hurtful things to someone who is doing a lot of stuff to help the situation seems a tad gross. That and, well, allow people to gently caress up but don't get all "stabby" with them.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 3, 2017

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Hello, everyone, I'm here just to ask questions.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ArfJason posted:

I think there is a difference between it, but what sort of questions?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Josef bugman posted:

I'd just put it that Atheism is not neccesarily a more moral/ethical position than Faith

More ethical position of itself? Hardly, plenty of people are and remain absolute garbage with theism or without. What it does do, is removes a convienient excuse for unethical or monstrous actions.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ArfJason posted:

is it...the jewish...question...

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Playstation 4 posted:

More ethical position of itself? Hardly, plenty of people are and remain absolute garbage with theism or without. What it does do, is removes a convienient excuse for unethical or monstrous actions.
I'd think that the Cult of Reason is a strong argument against that.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

While I think PS4's argument is wrong, the Cult of Reason isn't the best counter example, since it was explicitly designed to be an atheist religion to placate the idiot mob who they thought wouldn't accept actual rationality on its own.

Personally I'd point to the fact that warmaking didn't slow down at all after everyone agreed to stop using religious justifications as a casus belli. Secularization does remove a convenient excuse for unethical actions, but when there's still a hundred other excuses to pick from, that doesn't really matter all that much.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

At least Robespierre was a true believer in the moral superiority of atheism, and the actions of the infernal columns were more or less atheism motivated genocide.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Groovelord Neato posted:

is it...the jewish...question...

Coincidentally, the Jewish Answer is also 42.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

fallenturtle posted:

Coincidentally, the Jewish Answer is also 42.

I thought it was 600-something?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

aware of dog posted:

Bolding mine.

This is great stuff and I will look into it, but seriously, how closely did you read the article? The "hairy little vermin" claim is given a lot of attention, and in the end, even the person who made the claim agreed that it couldn't have happened at the clinic.

edit:

The fact that even this claim is still be tossed out is one more thing that points to what I bitched about earlier, about how if you can't even agree on a baseline level of "this happened" vs. "this did not happen" that even the person who originally made the claim now disagrees with you on, then how the gently caress do we even have discussions that approach the rational.

selec fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 3, 2017

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

ClancyEverafter posted:

This is great stuff and I will look into it, but seriously, how closely did you read the article? The "hairy little vermin" claim is given a lot of attention, and in the end, even the person who made the claim agreed that it couldn't have happened at the clinic.

edit:

The fact that even this claim is still be tossed out is one more thing that points to what I bitched about earlier, about how if you can't even agree on a baseline level of "this happened" vs. "this did not happen" that even the person who originally made the claim now disagrees with you on, then how the gently caress do we even have discussions that approach the rational.

Phone posting so I don't have it in front of me, but I missed that, apologies. But regardless, that's nowhere near the main point of my argument and if you honestly think that a minor oversight like completely destroys my argument then I don't know what to tell you. I made a mistake, yes: take that out and tell me if it changes anything.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

aware of dog posted:

Phone posting so I don't have it in front of me, but I missed that, apologies. But regardless, that's nowhere near the main point of my argument and if you honestly think that a minor oversight like completely destroys my argument then I don't know what to tell you. I made a mistake, yes: take that out and tell me if it changes anything.

No, I just think it’s exemplary of the kind of reading people do now. Scanning for outrage. We all do it. The internet broke us.

Edit:
It does demonstrate the shoddiness of the document that was used to shut down the clinic though.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

ClancyEverafter posted:

It does demonstrate the shoddiness of the document that was used to shut down the clinic though.

NO IT DOESN'T. They interviewed former patients and wrote down what they said. That's what they are supposed to do. The report speaks pretty highly of Dr. Zucker in some regards, but it didn't change their conclusions. You've skated clear past the core of my argument that was in direct response to yours (that worries about desistance are unfounded and the clinic's methods were not based on evidentiary standards of the time) to nitpick, and you want to lecture about "rational argument."

Either way this is super off-topic now. I'm done.

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 3, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ClancyEverafter posted:

No, I just think it’s exemplary of the kind of reading people do now. Scanning for outrage.

Yes, all outrage is overblown and fake. You are the one true sane moderate on the internet. It's you, you are the star. :jerkbag:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ClancyEverafter posted:

No, I just think it’s exemplary of the kind of reading people do now. Scanning for outrage. We all do it. The internet broke us.

Edit:

God drat are you a loving moron

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well obviously those transpeople were lying because it's either that or I'm an apologist for bellends and that can't be true because I'm acting in good faith!

selec
Sep 6, 2003

WampaLord posted:

God drat are you a loving moron

I'm gonna real think hard about this post. Surely it's me, not the people who can't even get basic facts straight about a story we're all supposed to have read, who is the moron.

I mean, I'm a moron for other reasons, but this? This is too much. I have been gutted, found out.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ClancyEverafter posted:

I'm gonna real think hard about this post. Surely it's me, not the people who can't even get basic facts straight about a story we're all supposed to have read, who is the moron.

I mean, I'm a moron for other reasons, but this? This is too much. I have been gutted, found out.

are you hoping to clear your name before the high court of goons or something or what is your end game here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

We're about two posts away from the "internet comedy forum" defense, I'd wager.

• Locked thread