Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leal posted:

Hoo boy I can't wait for the fallout over this :allears:

That was revealed in the first new-timeline game years ago and I don't think was controversial at the time. It's the standard extinct super-civilization trope, except they were jews.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So the Jews DO secretly control the world? Because....uh....that has some baggage.

Nah, it's all buried caches of artifacts. There's only one living character directly connected to the ancient Jews in the game and he has a minor non-command role (although I haven't beaten New Colossus yet so there's still a chance they could go there...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So the Jews DO secretly control the world? Because....uh....that has some baggage.

No, they don't. They just make secret super-science and then hide it away. They deliberately refuse to engage in government or politics unless absolutely necessary (like a fascist government trying to take over the world and exterminate them)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Who What Now posted:

That scene reminded me of this Achewood exchange:

I don't get it. Is there like a joke or something? I don't get Achewood.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Who What Now posted:

No, they don't. They just make secret super-science and then hide it away. They deliberately refuse to engage in government or politics unless absolutely necessary (like a fascist government trying to take over the world and exterminate them)

More specifically, they never used their technology to change anything until after the Nazis got a hold of it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I think in the first game someone mentions that when Germany started winning the war, the Jewish super-scientists tried to share some of their tech with the Allies, but then the Nazis had the bomb and it was too late.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Leal posted:

This was revealed in the first new game couple of years back tho

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The Jewish Super Geniuses come out looking pretty bad. They created technology hundreds of years before its time and... look at it, I guess? It sure is pretty.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

The Jewish Super Geniuses come out looking pretty bad. They created technology hundreds of years before its time and... look at it, I guess? It sure is pretty.

You know that people in real life study things for the sake of studying them and gaining a greater understanding of the world, right?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Aleph Null posted:

They originally created the things they did as a sort of philosophical/religious exercise if I remember correctly. They seek enlightenment through discovery of the nature of the world and what is possible. Nature of god through the world he created and whatnot. This all turns out to be extremely dangerous if used by corrupt people, so they lock it away.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Leal posted:

Frankly any fallout for it would be immediately snuffed out by how amazing Machinegames are at writing. As stupid as it sounds in a brief soundbite, everything in the new Wolfenstein series has been super well handled in terms of writing and characterization.

New Colossus gets seriously hosed up at points, and I am loving it so far.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

And you could argue that the Nazi victory is kind of their fault for creating this dangerous poo poo and hiding it badly instead of destroying it, which has uh weird implications

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

And you could argue that the Nazi victory is kind of their fault for creating this dangerous poo poo and hiding it badly instead of destroying it, which has uh weird implications

Their tech didn't allow the Nazis to win, so that's a pretty weird view to take.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Dead Cells is my current favorite roguelite. It's probably the only game (other than Opus Magnum) that I feel like early access gets you your money's worth.

Disclaimer, I loved Rogue Legacy so I might just have bad taste in games.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Dead Cells doesn't do enough to make me feel like I'm making meaningful progress in the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

Their tech didn't allow the Nazis to win, so that's a pretty weird view to take.

Except it did. Death's head stole technology and built upon it. By the time it's creators knew what had happened, it was too late.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

rydiafan posted:

Don;t worry. IN the next panel, they both farted and many laughs were had.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

rydiafan posted:

That's because that's two panels completely without context at the end a story arc. It's a reference by a person who enjoys Achewood for a person who enjoys Achewood. Start here.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09272005

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Yeah it did, it's the sole reason that stuff went differently to it did in the real world

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I must not remember, because the only instance I remember of the Nazis getting the super-tech is when they find the anti-grav stuff hidden in Area 52.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Who What Now posted:

Dead Cells doesn't do enough to make me feel like I'm making meaningful progress in the game.

The drop rates might be the worst part of the game, but it's still in early access so they might change that before it gets a full release. I stopped playing a while back (should probably take another look since there was a major content patch a few days ago), since I'd exhausted all the content in the game except trying to farm a few specific items with abysmal drop rates. The Crusher comes to mind, an item that only drops from one rare type of enemy in what's probably the hardest area of the game at a 0.4% rate.

The feeling of reward drops off after a few hours since actual progress is luck-based. Once you've already unlocked most of the common items, a successful run where you make it all the way through your desired route has an overwhelming chance of giving you nothing to show for it. Even the easily obtainable items can be tedious to get, I still don't have the Decoy even though it drops from common enemies in the standard second level that I've run through countless times.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I must not remember, because the only instance I remember of the Nazis getting the super-tech is when they find the anti-grav stuff hidden in Area 52.

The whole plot of The New Order revolves around that. The A-Bomb? The London Monitor? The laser cannon you carry through the whole game? All Da'at Yichud technology.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah it left a bad taste in my mouth because while I see what the devs were going for (and the Nazi super concrete giving them all super cancer is a nice touch) it still means in universe a secret globe spanning cabal of Jews willfully hid technology from the rest of humanity and for their hubris the Nazis get to kill them all.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That said, BJ has always been half Polish and half Jewish, though it was fairly obscure until The New Collossus.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Glagha posted:

I do love the plot twist in the new Wolfensteins that all the new highly advanced Nazi technology was developed by examining highly advanced tech developed by an ancient Jewish secret society of philosophers and scientists. It's all very ironic.

that is incredibly hamfisted lmao

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nah, from what I remember from the game, that group basically just kept to themselves and tinkered/did research without paying much attention to the rest of the world. They basically considered the act of invention a kind of religious ceremony. The only time they did intervene was by giving some of their tech to the US in response to the Nazis digging some up first, but that ended up being too little, too late.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

synthetik posted:

Dead Cells is my current favorite roguelite. It's probably the only game (other than Opus Magnum) that I feel like early access gets you your money's worth.

Disclaimer, I loved Rogue Legacy so I might just have bad taste in games.

Wait do people not like Rogue Legacy? I thought it was pretty well received.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Agent355 posted:

Wait do people not like Rogue Legacy? I thought it was pretty well received.
RL works for about as long as it takes to see a whole lot of the same room layouts repeated over and over, at which point the repetitiveness and paucity of meaningful player actions kinda starts to kick in.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

that is incredibly hamfisted lmao
It's presented really effectively in the actual game, but if you slice it out like that it sounds worse.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

It's presented really effectively in the actual game, but if you slice it out like that it sounds worse.

Yeah the game rules and people who never played it getting offended at a one-sentence summary of a major plot beat is dumb, especially when all the criticisms they're making are explicitly addressed in the game itself.

It's not like the idea of religious sects with powerful relics and/or forbidden knowledge that is used against is some shocking new concept anyways, in video games or otherwise.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The new Wolfenstein games ride a razor thin line and I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they found their style off-putting. It's a mix of pulp and genuine pathos which clearly works for some folks, but not necessarily everyone.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

The new Wolfenstein games ride a razor thin line and I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they found their style off-putting. It's a mix of pulp and genuine pathos which clearly works for some folks, but not necessarily everyone.

Also you get to maim and murder lots of nazis.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

John Murdoch posted:

I think this is actually right on the money. It's a buncha bullshit that manages to use the fact that it's a buncha bullshit to drive home some really hard themes. It gets your guard down by showing the nazis having Übersoldaten cyborgs armed with laser miniguns, and robot panthers with knives for teeth. Then BJ starts talking about how he used to love to go swimming when he was a kid and he sounds so old and tired and sad that your heart just cracks in two.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Just Offscreen posted:

That's because that's two panels completely without context at the end a story arc. It's a reference by a person who enjoys Achewood for a person who enjoys Achewood. Start here.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09272005

Achewood sucks

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

Did you miss the giant, titanium hounds with teeth strong enough to rip through steel? The flying wings? The NAZI MOON BASE? Are you from some far cooler reality where we have all of that and the allies still won WWII?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Don Gato posted:

Did you miss the giant, titanium hounds with teeth strong enough to rip through steel? The flying wings? The NAZI MOON BASE? Are you from some far cooler reality where we have all of that and the allies still won WWII?

I thought they came up with those themselves. :shrug:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah the game rules and people who never played it getting offended at a one-sentence summary of a major plot beat is dumb, especially when all the criticisms they're making are explicitly addressed in the game itself.

It's not like the idea of religious sects with powerful relics and/or forbidden knowledge that is used against is some shocking new concept anyways, in video games or otherwise.

i'm not offended it's just lovely stupid writing lol. its a boring overused trope combined with the most basic grade-school idea of irony

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

rodbeard posted:

Achewood sucks

You suck!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i'm not offended it's just lovely stupid writing lol. its a boring overused trope combined with the most basic grade-school idea of irony

Ah, good, we're onto "giving my opinion on something I've read someone else's opinion about." gently caress off back to :tvtropes: or stop commenting on something you've only read about third-hand.

Who What Now posted:

I thought they came up with those themselves. :shrug:

That's quite possible. The magic jet engines, brains in jars, robots, and lightning guns- all from the opening section- were all potentially repurposed superscience, but the superconcrete that the nazis made all their buildings from was explicitly a Da'at Yichud thing.

I'm pretty sure the moon base was just the Nazis being the Nazis though.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Somfin posted:

Ah, good, we're onto "giving my opinion on something I've read someone else's opinion about." gently caress off back to :tvtropes: or stop commenting on something you've only read about third-hand.

That's quite possible. The magic jet engines, brains in jars, robots, and lightning guns- all from the opening section- were all potentially repurposed superscience, but the superconcrete that the nazis made all their buildings from was explicitly a Da'at Yichud thing.

I'm pretty sure the moon base was just the Nazis being the Nazis though.

I just finished the TNO, and while I didn't listen to every conversation and read every newspaper it was my understanding that the secret tech basically leapfrogged them 50+ years into the future and then they built everything on that basis.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Lechtansi posted:

I just finished the TNO, and while I didn't listen to every conversation and read every newspaper it was my understanding that the secret tech basically leapfrogged them 50+ years into the future and then they built everything on that basis.

What about Spindly Torque and the Mech Suit? That's way more than 50 years into the future. No, I'm almost positive that every last bit of futuristic tech that the Nazis have is built from Hebrew blueprints. Because Nazis are stupid. They think torturing people is science.

Anyway, Here's a little thing from Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. In the TNO I found the perk system to be a little bland. It mostly just gave your weapons small upgrades like +reload speed or +firing speed. In TOB however, I found the perks far more interesting. There are still boring ones, but there's also perks like the one that lets you care around the miniguns like normal weapons. There's also the perk that gives you the Quick Turn, which lets you turn 180 degrees by tapping the "walk backwards" button twice. A perk that unlocks a whole little game mechanic! I hope the sequel maintains that level of perk creativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Excuse me, it's DOOMGUY. The capitals are also important.

I think this must make him DOOMGOY, which really seems like a logical progression