Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

BeigeJacket posted:

When does SC become the most expensive video game ever? Not counting the marketing blitz that causes the COD/GTA games to have ridiculous budgets, just the cost of making the damned thing in the first place?

Most expensive game to never be released for sure.

tax:

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

BeigeJacket posted:

When does SC become the most expensive video game ever? Not counting the marketing blitz that causes the COD/GTA games to have ridiculous budgets, just the cost of making the damned thing in the first place?
since that one leak said that most of their current budget goes to marketing, I think they'll need to hit what, $300m? to become the most expensive game with dev + marketing ever created

GTA took about $140m just for dev costs, so I think they are still a ways off with just dev costs

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Toops posted:

So they don't know to set the raycast length, and don't know how to use collider layers? Also, this whole system is just over-complicated and pointless. Why the hell do you need to manually select the item from the wall? Just talk to the vendor, open up a menu, and pick your item from the UI like every other game. I mean jesus, just because other games do it and you don't doesn't make you a loving visionary, Chris. What an absolute buffoon.
Counterpoint: Nethack can do this, so loving lol if a $160m game can't get it to work.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
so LTI is the difference between crashing your $500 space chariot due to any number of buggy interactions and losing it and your money forever or getting a new one after you respawn like you'd expect in any reasonable game?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Snazzy Frocks posted:

so LTI is the difference between crashing your $500 space chariot due to any number of buggy interactions and losing it and your money forever or getting a new one after you respawn like you'd expect in any reasonable game?
its super important but also not really important

no one knows what it does, what its supposed to do or what the difference between LTI and regular insurance is

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

HycoCam posted:

Sandi did a great job

Let me stop you right there.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Yes I know :thejoke: but some things are so ingrained in reality that jokes lose all meaning.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

BeigeJacket posted:

200 million is the current record, for SWTOR.

It's #2 right now

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

TheAgent posted:

its super important but also not really important

no one knows what it does, what its supposed to do or what the difference between LTI and regular insurance is

LTI means you never have to re-purchase insurance for that ship. Now, does "lifetime" mean the lifetime of the ship, or of the commando? We don't know. Because don't forget, your commando will have a lifespan and eventually die and pass all his/her space possessions to his/her space child son.

Without insurance your chariot is gone forever, however, maybe not, we don't know. But it will be extremely trivial and cheap to purchase 6 months of insurance, however, maybe not, we don't know. 6 months is in-game which is much longer than 6 actual months, however, maybe not, we don't know.

Never mind that nobody knows how much insurance will cost, how it will be purchased, applied, tracked via persistence or UI, or how long it will take to have your ship "replaced." Don't forget, CIG has stated that your ship will not be instantaneously replaced. In fact, they've said the speed at which your ship is replaced will vary depending on how big/luxurious your ship is, and how well-stocked your system is with parts needed for your ship,

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Because that's how Chris did it in Freelancer, and it was good enough for Mass Effect.

It's how Microsoft did it in Freelancer. I would pay $3 to know how Chris planned to do it in Freelancer.

My guess is that it involved you and 3 friends playing a complicated minigame where you navigate a recently purchased gun down a narrow flight of stairs using a series of quicktime events.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Spatial posted:

200 million is the current record, for SWTOR.

It's #2 right now

So a few factors to consider:

1. Can we trust the funding tracker?

2. How much of the budget is allocated to marketing and not to game development? I'd say all the videos and cons and ship sales count toward marketing, not game development. Not to mention the hired shills and forum moderators they have to pay off to keep the scheme going.

3. How does their dodgy accounting factor into the spending? SWTOR didn't have to spend 5 million to buy the IP rights from themselves. They probably didn't have to buy up 17 shell companies from themselves as well.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

hot balls man no homo posted:

Can you trust this handsome car salesman?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Rad Russian posted:

Can you trust this handsome car salesman?

I think that fucker stole my picnic basket once

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

2. How much of the budget is allocated to marketing and not to game development? I'd say all the videos and cons and ship sales count toward marketing, not game development. Not to mention the hired shills and forum moderators they have to pay off to keep the scheme going.

3. How does their dodgy accounting factor into the spending? SWTOR didn't have to spend 5 million to buy the IP rights from themselves. They probably didn't have to buy up 17 shell companies from themselves as well.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
Look at that cat

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

BeigeJacket posted:

Already happened, $653 million if you use Crobbler maths.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Strawman posted:

Already happened, $653 million if you use Crobbler maths.
Haha. Forgot about the 4x multiplier

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

stinch posted:

like he won't be just an equally obsessive micromanager over the procgen output

Chris : "no no NO I want it to be like....THIS! *points at back of bladerunner DVD*

intern : "But sir this is procedural generation the whole point is-

Chris "oh get out of the way let me do it"

*proceeds to stare at screen for 20 minutes without moving*

Chris : "This computer's not right,bring me a new one..."

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Abuminable posted:

After the revelation of the Intel Optane spec sheet, I think CIG are working on a new game console.

So who won the Space Kitten competition for a CitizenCon ticket?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

drat, they didn't even bother to give the Intel shill-ships LTI? That's some weak poo poo, CIG. People are shelling out $500 for a variant of a ship that originally cost something like $200 and you can't be hosed to give them LTI?

CIG's gone so far into the ship-selling rabbithole that they can't even remember their own rules.

Of course they remember. loving :lol: if you think they give a poo poo.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

tooterfish posted:

Counterpoint: Nethack can do this, so loving lol if a $160m game can't get it to work.

The first time I ever designed a system for picking up items, I had a problem. I couldn't pick up items if there was something in front of it. The raycast would hit the something first. Then I did a quick google search, read about object/collider layers, then I read about raycast filtering. I went back to my editor, set all items to the "item" layer, set the raycast so it could only hit objects that were members of the "item" layer. Problem solved in ~10 minutes. I have a terrible memory, and I remember it, so.

Am I supposed to believe CIG, a $160m company with world class game developers don't know how to do this? I don't. I'm not a uniquely bright individual, and I figured it out.

Possible options:
1. Somebody just forgot to set environment object layers properly
2. The item 2.0 "use" raycast wasn't set to filter properly
3. It's a fake bug they invented just for the ATV segment
4. It's incredibly hard to do raycast filtering in CryEngine

Personally, I would be embarrassed sharing this as a "hot take" bug fix. It's either a silly oversight, or reveals shocking ignorance on the part of the CIG devs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

It's how Microsoft did it in Freelancer. I would pay $3 to know how Chris planned to do it in Freelancer.

My guess is that it involved you and 3 friends playing a complicated minigame where you navigate a recently purchased gun down a narrow flight of stairs using a series of quicktime events.

Minigames are Zurovec. Chris has no plans for anything outside of cinematics and having the newest technology.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

his nibs fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 3, 2017

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/926529916052623361

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Toops posted:

I'm gonna go on the record here. I'm a loving bathroom genius. A urinal savant. If you pull up next to me, you bet your rear end I will start a conversation. I mean, it's fuckin' SPORT to me, only I'm the dream team and you're a rag-tag squad of hairy unathletic dads at the Y. My urinal game is like Jordan on a breakaway. poo poo's so elegant it makes the prima donna of the Russian ballet cry. I'll just fuckin' toss out a nugget of 24 karat small talk GOLD and even though you're dick-in-hand, you'll be absolutely loving POWERLESS against it. My conversational spell will draw you in like a cozy cabin in a snow storm. The instinctual fear as you realize I'm talking will be immediately washed away by how god drat witty, charming, and flat fuckin' APPROPRIATE my words are. You'll be so awash in a deep sense of relief as you ponder the depth and wisdom of my quip, and in that moment, when you are at your most vulnerable, I will sneak a peek.

That's right.

We know what we're holding, and we KNOW what you're holding.

Hell, if I feel like taking a victory lap, I'll even talk a guy down who's havin' a rough poop in the stall, let him know he's ok. Let him know he's among friends.

I am the master of the men's room. Pray you never meet me there.

just reading this post locked up my urethra so hard the doctors say I may never piss in peace again

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/kingdingah/status/926513504286330880
https://twitter.com/kingdingah/status/926513750009679873
https://twitter.com/kingdingah/status/926515206678818817
https://twitter.com/kingdingah/status/926516929392717824

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

TheAgent posted:

why the gently caress do you even need vendors. amazon is already a huge loving thing, in 100 years let alone 1,000 there won't be a single shop owner standing around or showing you poo poo, everything will be ordered from the holonet or whatever the gently caress its called

everything should be handled through the UI and just shipped to you in your ship/personal inventory

Technology for virtual shopping was a casualty of interstellar war, along with the Roomba, the bidet, jackets that fit properly, lighting that actually provides illumination. And :females:

All we have left is a bunch of multijacketed bald dudes LARPing World War II as the turtle people laugh at the imminent demise of humanity.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Are those shirts specifically sized for the morbidly obese? It looks like the torso is flared out on the bottom.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are those shirts specifically sized for the morbidly obese? It looks like the torso is flared out on the bottom.

You already know the answer to this man, come on. That's Star Citizen 101 poo poo.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Gotta hand it to RSI. They know their audience.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Muumuus for whales. Fidelity!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Solarin posted:

just reading this post locked up my urethra so hard the doctors say I may never piss in peace again

Such is the power of the piss whisperer.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I wonder if CIG is still charging $15 per each item shipped with no option to group shipments

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
I'm going to point out one error/mistake in the CIG accounts per day.

1.) Geography

In a consolidated set of accounts for a group of companies you eliminate intra-group transactions. This makes sense, because if you sell goods and services between two companies in a group you would just have matching revenue in one company and cost in the other. So in the CIG UK group, you can ignore the revenue in F42, this has an equal expense in CIG UK that you also ignore. You can then ignore the revenue in CIG UK, since this has an equal expense in RSI UK that you also ignore. Essentially you will just be left with the development costs in F42 and the revenue in RSI UK.

RSI UK has one customer. This is Roberts Space Industries, Corp based in the USA. We know that RSI UK invoices in dollars, because they have exchange losses/gains. We know they don't charge VAT, because they are issuing invoices in dollars to an American company and there is no VAT timing liability on the balance sheet. So we know that the CIG UK group has 100% of its turnover generated in the United States. The accounts however claim that 100% of turnover is attributable to the UK.

These disclosures are typically generated like this by default in an accounting package and it would be up to the accountant to make a manual adjustment to ensure it is correct. It only really affects the overall image of the company rather than any financial implications. If a UK group has 100% turnover in the UK it doesn't really merit any further thought. If a UK group has 100% turnover in the USA it would make it more obvious that delving deeper showed the entire corporation had one customer and that it was a related party with an almost identical name to one of the UK companies.

If you're curious why the 2015 comparative figures don't match, that will be a future error/mistake.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Lets rub!

https://i.imgur.com/SkBaRNR.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Seeing lots of Blizzcon buzz going through my twitter feed. Like, actually alongside real news. What was the big Citcon release again? It's been a week and I can't recall anything through the haze of blandness. What was the big thing that was supposed to wow us?