Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1528224180819917/permalink/1759593914349608/

This is horrible and I can't stop laughing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Integral Catculus
Jul 21, 2007

hopelessly devoted
The New York Review of Books published an article on Twin Peaks and Lynch in general in the most recent issue. Pretty nice writing, as usual, though it's as inconclusive as anything else we've seen...

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Baloogan posted:

yeah if its 'obvious' its gotta be sarah
Apparently the new book straight-up says it's Sarah. I wonder how much other stuff from S3 is "obvious" to Mark Frost. I can't help but feel like he can't look at the series objectively.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Where did Mark Frost say it was obvious? He said "hopefully you figured it out by the end" which pretty much everyone did. Lack of explicit confirmation in the show means there's always room for some doubt, but there aren't really any possibilities other than Sarah and "random girl we've never seen before".

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Volte posted:

Where did Mark Frost say it was obvious? He said "hopefully you figured it out by the end" which pretty much everyone did. Lack of explicit confirmation in the show means there's always room for some doubt, but there aren't really any possibilities other than Sarah and "random girl we've never seen before".
It's Audrey since she's so important to season 3

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Apparently The Final Dossier lays out Audrey's story after Season 2 pretty straightforwardly, for the most part.
Here's a write-up (book spoilers, obviously): http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/twin-peaks-audrey-hornes-story-revealed-in-mark-frost-book.html

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Cromulent posted:

Apparently the new book straight-up says it's Sarah.

Yep. And her full name is Sarah Judith Novack Palmer.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i really liked the theory on reddit i read that said that its COOPER whos judy

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That Audrey explanation really doesn't tell us much. What about Billy?

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I'm starting to believe that Mark Frost did not leave a big imprint on the creative process of Season 3.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God
Has anyone managed to get their hands on a print/hardcover version of the book? I'd like to know if it's as visual as The Secret History, with maps and images on just about every other page. I really want to impulse buy the poo poo out of the Kindle version and read it tonight but if it's filled with imagery I'll wait for the hardcover.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Zat posted:

Apparently The Final Dossier lays out Audrey's story after Season 2 pretty straightforwardly, for the most part.
Here's a write-up (book spoilers, obviously): http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/twin-peaks-audrey-hornes-story-revealed-in-mark-frost-book.html

That doesn't really say anything, just raises more questions

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

The Clap posted:

Has anyone managed to get their hands on a print/hardcover version of the book? I'd like to know if it's as visual as The Secret History, with maps and images on just about every other page. I really want to impulse buy the poo poo out of the Kindle version and read it tonight but if it's filled with imagery I'll wait for the hardcover.

It’s half the size of the first book and has a lot less photos or documents. Pretty sure it doesn’t have cool 3D glasses effects either. The first book was an absolute must have in hardcover (the ebook made me feel like a putz when I realized how beautiful the book design was). Final Dossier is pretty barren by comparison, I’d say pass on a physical copy, even if the cover is a little to nice to be contained to a screen.

All in all a good book, and certain fan theories basically became confirmed. I really wish it could have been longer but pretty sure the only way Frost would have done that would be 100 pages of 9/11 trutherism. Also, :laffo: that there’s anyone confident that “the girl” in New Mexico is totally some rando.

Dr. Killjoy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 31, 2017

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

Dr. Killjoy posted:

It’s half the size of the first book and has a lot less photos or documents. Pretty sure it doesn’t have cool 3D glasses effects either. The first book was an absolute must have in hardcover (the ebook made me feel like a putz when I realized how beautiful the book design was). Final Dossier is pretty barren by comparison, I’d say pass on a physical copy, even if the cover is a little to nice to be contained to a screen.

All in all a good book, and certain fan theories basically became confirmed. I really wish it could have been longer but pretty sure the only way Frost would have done that would be 100 pages of 9/11 trutherism. Also, :laffo: that there’s anyone confident that “the girl” in New Mexico is totally some rando.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. One more question though: it confirms the fan theory that episodes 17 & 18 should be played in sync with each other simultaneously, correct? Just need to be sure on this one.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The Clap posted:

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. One more question though: it confirms the fan theory that episodes 17 & 18 should be played in sync with each other simultaneously, correct? Just need to be sure on this one.

I believe someone who worked closely with Lynch told people that the episodes are not meant to be watched this way.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm about halfway through the final dossier and it's way less good than the first book. The prose feels really clunky in spots and so far it's just kinda clinically summarizing in unambiguous language poo poo that was already implied in screen and isn't improved by being spelled out like this. Hopefully the back half is better.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

cis autodrag posted:

I'm about halfway through the final dossier and it's way less good than the first book. The prose feels really clunky in spots and so far it's just kinda clinically summarizing in unambiguous language poo poo that was already implied in screen and isn't improved by being spelled out like this. Hopefully the back half is better.

Hahaha, what did you expect it to be? It's written from the POV of an FBI agent as part of official documentation, and is called "The Final Dossier."

E: to be fair, I haven't read it yet, but that sounds kinda funny to me. I could change my mind about that.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 1, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TheMaestroso posted:

Hahaha, what did you expect it to be? It's written from the POV of an FBI agent as part of official documentation, and is called "The Final Dossier."

E: to be fair, I haven't read it yet, but that sounds kinda funny to me. I could change my mind about that.

I see what you mean, but my point is more that it just kind of sucks all the subtext out of the show and spits it out as, well, text. The first book really only added to the mystery and I expected this one to be similar. Instead it's kinda like reading a Wikipedia article for a movie you didn't quite understand on first watch.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I just finished the book and I loved it. Secret History was a bit too long with stuff I didn't really care about, where in this one every chapter had something intriguing. Most of them are minor but I enjoyed them a lot.

Annie's response, Mr. C's crime syndicate, Jefferies' temporal displacement

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Book stuff, not really a spoiler: I'm bummed out that the URLs mentioned in Jerry Horne's chapter aren't real, after how amazing THE SEARCH FOR THE ZONE was.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

And More posted:

I believe someone who worked closely with Lynch told people that the episodes are not meant to be watched this way.

Haha yeah dude, I was just fuckin' around. When that "theory" was floated the guy who wrote it yelled at me on Facebook after I told him that his idea is incredibly stupid. He was strangely defensive about it, it was kinda sad.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
I can see that watching two episodes at once wasn’t the intent. And practically, it’s dumb. However, syncing up and watching all 18 episodes at once: this is how one achieves true understanding.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

I can see that watching two episodes at once wasn’t the intent. And practically, it’s dumb. However, syncing up and watching all 18 episodes at once: this is how one achieves true understanding.

like the play all button on the athf season 3 dvds

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA4A1QD-09k

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cis autodrag posted:

like the play all button on the athf season 3 dvds

That was the best DVD menu joke since the Omega 13

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

Fantastic, thanks! Now I understand the Billy stuff.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Does anyone here remember the official story?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Which episode is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIAskouO3Rs

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I just read the Final Dossier in one sitting (it's short) and it was ok I guess but not as fun as Secret History. what cis autodrag said about it clinically summarizing everything is pretty accurate.

my favorite bit was donna ending up in a crack house at some point in her life lol

on the other hand the explanation for the discrepancies regarding norma's two moms was dumb and felt like Frost trying to adjust for a continuity error that fans got hung up on (more than any of the other continuity errors from Secret History, which I don't think are addressed)

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

How's Annie?
She's fine

The book has been pretty boring and dry for me, but that one had me laughing to myself. Who knows if it was supposed to read that way or not.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

eSporks posted:

How's Annie?
She's fine

The book has been pretty boring and dry for me, but that one had me laughing to myself. Who knows if it was supposed to read that way or not.

I did too. When I got to her line, I lost it.

I finished The Final Dossier last night. I think it makes a nice... companion piece to Season 3, but it's not earth shattering. It lightly confirms a couple theories about certain things, like Episode 8, Booper's activities between S2 and S3, the whereabouts of Audrey and Annie, etc. I would say the most important thing it "canonizes" is what the real world is experiencing in the wake of Episodes 17 and 18, namely that once Laura disappears from the beach, history gets rewritten for people in Twin Peaks and they only remember her as being missing not murdered. Leland kills himself, etc..

Other than that, you're not missing crucial information and it's not necessary to own, it's just a fun compliment.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dr. Jacoby's chapter is the best part.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

That's where I stopped last night, and I can confirm. Jacoby's has been the only one so far that added some character elements.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh, poo poo.

Well, that finally explains why there was a Leland in the Red Room that seemed to neither be the doppleganger we saw in the Season *2* finale, nor the Leland who was possessed by Bob and later dies.

And the fact that all he can seem to say is "Find Laura" and look imploringly at Agent Cooper also makes sense, now. That was the Leland who killed himself after Laura went missing.

It's probable that all the Red Room scenes exist "out of time" to a certain degree. The scenes with Cooper in the Red Room in Episode 3x02 definitely seem to have more to do with what happens after the end of Season 3, as opposed to what happened chronologically in seasons 1 and 2 and FWWM.

And MIKE's refrain of "Is it Future, or is it Past?" finally makes total sense in that light,

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SaintFu posted:

Outside Frost and Lynch, I don't think anyone has any real idea about the division of writing for the series. Lynch is responsible for the visual aspects of the show, but the story, the characters and the mythology could have come from either or both of them. I think most people, for instance, identify episode 8 with Lynch, but I think it fits very well with what Frost was doing in the Secret History.

Is it still true that Frost and Lynch wrote about 8 eps worth of material, then Showtime gave more eps, and Lynch wrote the rest on his own?

Kinda conflates with the fact that the script is a 600 page behemoth containing the entire series as one movie.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Shageletic posted:

Is it still true that Frost and Lynch wrote about 8 eps worth of material, then Showtime gave more eps, and Lynch wrote the rest on his own?

Kinda conflates with the fact that the script is a 600 page behemoth containing the entire series as one movie.
Well it's not like they had to double the script size to double the episode count. It just meant that they could make certain scenes take longer, and wouldn't have to cut anything for time. (For comparison, the original cut of Blue Velvet was four hours long, but Lynch was under agreement to produce at most two hours.) If he had to write extra material to fill time, I doubt he'd alter the overall narrative much. If I had to guess at parts that Lynch wrote himself, perhaps to fill space, I'd include the whole scene with Ruth Davenport's neighbour, the scene where Frank Truman's wife yells at him, probably all of the Roadhouse scenes, the Audrey scenes, the scenes with the 119 lady and her kid, etc. There might not even have been much of a script for some of those scenes.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

They wrote all of the script together, but Lynch added stuff after the fact, some of which was during filming. Frost recently confirmed that all the Audrey scenes were written by Lynch. He also revealed that Candy hitting Rodney Mitchum was added because the actor who played Rodney got hit with a light, and they needed a way to explain the cut on screen, which is amazing to me.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Cromulent posted:

He also revealed that Candy hitting Rodney Mitchum was added because the actor who played Rodney got hit with a light, and they needed a way to explain the cut on screen, which is amazing to me.

what? really? that IS amazing.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Cromulent posted:

They wrote all of the script together, but Lynch added stuff after the fact, some of which was during filming. Frost recently confirmed that all the Audrey scenes were written by Lynch. He also revealed that Candy hitting Rodney Mitchum was added because the actor who played Rodney got hit with a light, and they needed a way to explain the cut on screen, which is amazing to me.

every little bit i learn about the production of this show is just the greatest :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Baloogan posted:

what? really? that IS amazing.
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/twin-peaks/268645/the-secrets-of-twin-peaks-season-3

quote:

The scene where Candy hits Rodney Mitchum with the remote was conceived by Lynch after a light fell on Robert Knepper on set, leaving a mark that he then had to explain narratively.

quote:

The original script for the third season, Audrey had recovered from the bomb and was running a hair salon. She interacted with her son, Richard, who apparently treated her as poorly as he does his grandmother.

Sherilyn Fenn has said that she cried when she read the original script for her part, and pretty much refused to do it. Kinda puts a different perspective on those Audrey scenes, Audrey's difficulty going to the Roadhouse/Sherilyn's difficulty playing the part written for her, the "change your story" line...

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 3, 2017