Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Instant Sunrise posted:

EDIT: also the earliest reference to the term "internet detective" as a term of posting personal information about somebody on saclopedia was around early 2006

tried some googlefu

2003: "Tutorial: How Do I find people and personal data records?" uses the term "internet detective" (but its more about finding long lost family members i guess):
http://www.romanyk.net/search/find.somones.search.people.persons.tutorial.htm

there are some earlier ones but i didnt see any that meant the same thing, ie:
https://web.archive.org/web/20021217010453/http://www.desire.org:80/detective/

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Instant Sunrise posted:

It was definitely abused back then too

This is the earliest instance I can find on the forums at a glance of internet detectiving people being used for ill and overall seen as a negative. And this is the very beginning of January 2006.

Basically, a guy who posted here and worked at Microsoft would post tidbits of information about what was coming down the pipe from them. Somebody else took issue with that and reported it to his bosses at MS, who then fired him.

I dunno I would call that a grey area? Like he's basically just leaking trade secrets. I can see that one both ways I guess.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

CWC stalkers and whoever updates that ED page on her have far, far more issues than she ever has.

CWC stalkers are the people who made kiwifarms and whoo boy there's a forums saga in its own right

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Powaqoatse posted:

I dunno I would call that a grey area? Like he's basically just leaking trade secrets. I can see that one both ways I guess.

Looking closer, he was toeing the line but not actually crossing it, and it sounds like his immediate bosses knew and were cool about it, since it wasn't major stuff, but like "this bug getting fixed." But the internet detective went way over his head about it and made his bosses bosses bosses boss freak out that somebody was leaking.

Also I guess he didn't actually get fired, just got in hot water.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alaois posted:

CWC stalkers are the people who made kiwifarms and whoo boy there's a forums saga in its own right

I remember back when Kiwifarms wasn't Kiwifarms, most of the people there at least came off as normal and well-adjusted people (at least no worse than your average goon). I even met two of them in person and I'm still close friends with one to this day. There wasn't a whole lot of interest outside of how bizarre CWC is.

Over the course of like 5 years after I left the board, they suddenly transformed into this hellspawn that it is where they're stalking random people and obsessively detailing their every tweet and driving past their homes because they're "SJWs". Voidburger is one of their current targets and they've been trying their hardest to doxx her and ChipCheezum.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

i had one or two adult male goons calling my parents' house when i was 15 or so saying that the pedo goon i was involved with gave me an STD and also they impersonated a cop and i'm just not really into doxxing/harassment of underage people who are the victim in the situation lol

like it's one thing to do it to grown-rear end adults doing stupid poo poo but i was a child yall

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wow i never heard. thats hosed up and creepy weird

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

exploded mummy posted:

yes, he mirrored an LP thread before it got disappeared because making fun of grover and house was mod sass

I think goatstein put it together and it was like the only good thing he ever did

Did he ever release the Steampunk Wedding photos?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

The Snoo posted:

i had one or two adult male goons calling my parents' house when i was 15 or so saying that the pedo goon i was involved with gave me an STD and also they impersonated a cop and i'm just not really into doxxing/harassment of underage people who are the victim in the situation lol

like it's one thing to do it to grown-rear end adults doing stupid poo poo but i was a child yall

Jesus

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Nobody who stalks CWC gets to claim to be normal you moron. Normal people aren’t stalkers.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
whats a cwc?

some other offsite banished futa enthusiasts?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

sneakyfrog posted:

whats a cwc?

some other offsite banished futa enthusiasts?

The sonichu guy

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

purple death ray posted:

The sonichu guy

oh.

why the hell do people stalk that poor guy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

sneakyfrog posted:

nah. its creepy.

Dont dox folks

unless they are like rapists or pedos or nazis and poo poo.

actually, don't doxx anyone, under any circumstance. you can, however, send the relevant information to the mods and administrators and they will handle it appropriately, as is their duty; this may include contacting local law enforcement.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If you ever ask a question about chris chan be insanely suspicious of anyone who responds in earnest because they definitely have 4K plus edits on the christ chan wiki.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

sneakyfrog posted:

oh.

why the hell do people stalk that poor guy

He's a guy who got internet famous for being extremely autistic and mentally ill

They're jealous

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Smythe posted:

actually, don't doxx anyone, under any circumstance. you can, however, send the relevant information to the mods and administrators and they will handle it appropriately, as is their duty; this may include contacting local law enforcement.

:smithfrog:

ok

but i'll just send it to you, ZDR once threatened to send me an hour long lasagnacat video once when i got on his nerves

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

EmmyOk posted:

If you ever ask a question about chris chan be insanely suspicious of anyone who responds in earnest because they definitely have 4K plus edits on the christ chan wiki.

That's not true; some people who respond in earnest might be trying to beat the creeps to answering, and simply having been around here long enough you're likely to know something about CWC.

That being said, there is no benefit for anyone in talking about CWC/Chris-chan. Including this hypocritical post.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

The Snoo posted:

Wow. That's really gross of them and I hope you are doing better now.

not from the "std" lol just in general

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

A Spider Covets posted:

Wow. That's really gross of them and I hope you are doing better now.

not from the "std" lol just in general

hope you are still suffering from disease, but feel better is how i read that. :haw:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

hope you are still suffering from disease, but feel better is how i read that. :haw:

Lmao I am just tragically bad at communicating online, I swear to god

Hey Emmy, did you see the saga involving the guy with his renovated bathroom and homemade sunken tub? I think you would get a kick out of that if you're entertained by lovely construction goons.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

A Spider Covets posted:

Lmao I am just tragically bad at communicating online, I swear to god

you are in good company friend.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can love bloom on the Goonifield?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

luckily the std thing wasn't true and I'm thankfully not suffering, at least from something like that

:unsmith:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i think bathtub destroyer came up for a second time recently itt, like within a couple months

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

EmmyOk posted:

christ chan

Nice Freudian slip.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Turtlicious posted:

Can love bloom on the Goonifield?

nope. not according to that goon love thread where someone infodumped all the ways that two worlds is a world class weirdo

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Powaqoatse posted:

nope. not according to that goon love thread where someone infodumped all the ways that two worlds is a world class weirdo

counterpoint: I have totally met cool and rad people through this forum, and dated several.

so far it hasnt resulted in a helldump thread...er...yet.

e: er i guess 2 isnt several.

its.. just 2

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sneakyfrog posted:

counterpoint: I have totally met cool and rad people through this forum, and dated several.

so far it hasnt resulted in a helldump thread...er...yet.

e: er i guess 2 isnt several.

its.. just 2

[joke about your sneaky frog avatar throwing sperm/eggs to the wind]

but well done i guess, no sarcasm

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Powaqoatse posted:

Counterpoint: :gooncamp:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Grassy Knowles posted:

that wasnt me.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I met and married a dude from these very forums! :rip:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

sneakyfrog posted:

that wasnt me.

Didn't mean to imply it was, it's just a good goon saga about goon love

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Snoo posted:

so...

did you get laid?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Snoo posted:

theres a joke there re your earlier post itt :o:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

I remember back when Kiwifarms wasn't Kiwifarms, most of the people there at least came off as normal and well-adjusted people (at least no worse than your average goon). I even met two of them in person and I'm still close friends with one to this day. There wasn't a whole lot of interest outside of how bizarre CWC is.

Over the course of like 5 years after I left the board, they suddenly transformed into this hellspawn that it is where they're stalking random people and obsessively detailing their every tweet and driving past their homes because they're "SJWs". Voidburger is one of their current targets and they've been trying their hardest to doxx her and ChipCheezum.

I know a guy who is being stalked by them and its driving the poor guy to tears, like it'd still be shitbird behavior if he were reacting comically, but he's mostly just going "please stop, and whoever is feeding them information, also please stop"

I've felt the schadenfreude of someone having a meltdown after being hosed with too much and I'm not particularly proud of that- I can't imagine being so disassociated that the freude just comes from stock-standard misery

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Now there's a saga I've never really heard a good explanation for: what exactly went down at goon camp?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
The CWC thing is honestly just loving terrifying, it's like a sci-fi concept come to life. It's basically just twitch plays pokemon except with an actual human being - all will and autonomy scooped out and replaced with blindly following internet commands without question. The scary part isn't CWC him/herself but the people who know exactly what it's all about and still willingly go for it. Who the gently caress is that sinister they'd be into that poo poo?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Moon Slayer posted:

Now there's a saga I've never really heard a good explanation for: what exactly went down at goon camp?

a good question.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1858814

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

Goons on each other.