Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Hey Clancy, here's an idea, there's a Trans Issues thread in TGRS, if you actually care about this issue and want to learn more from actual trans people (instead of dumb cishets like me) why don't you go there and ask them how they feel about Dr. Zucker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ClancyEverafter posted:

I'm gonna real think hard about this post. Surely it's me, not the people who can't even get basic facts straight about a story we're all supposed to have read, who is the moron.

You also failed at getting basic facts straight, sooooo....

selec
Sep 6, 2003

boner confessor posted:

are you hoping to clear your name before the high court of goons or something or what is your end game here

I'm posting for fun on a comedy website. It's bad, I know.

What's your excuse?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ClancyEverafter posted:

I'm posting for fun on a comedy website. It's bad, I know.

What's your excuse?

Goon Danton posted:

We're about two posts away from the "internet comedy forum" defense, I'd wager.

nice shootin' tex

selec
Sep 6, 2003

boner confessor posted:

nice shootin' tex

I could not have possibly read the post before mine in the thread before making my post. He's an ace when you move the target right in front of the arrow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Followed up with a puppetmaster, wow, all the trickshots ITT.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Followed up with a puppetmaster, wow, all the trickshots ITT.

I'm not done yet. Did you know I've been laughing about all this in IMs with the mods?

Also [leafs through stack of flash cards] let me tell you about how awesome my life is off the internet

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"yeah, i saw the mouse trap and i put my hand in it deliberately. what do you think i am, an idiot or something?"

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It's not pathetic if you're doing it ironically

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm only making you think i'm having a meltdown by structuring my written statements to look that way, but in reality, the joke is on you

selec
Sep 6, 2003

boner confessor posted:

"yeah, i saw the mouse trap and i put my hand in it deliberately. what do you think i am, an idiot or something?"

I'm gonna sincere-post, because why the gently caress not:

Straight up, I follow Singal, Contra, and a lot of trans activists on Twitter, and I've seen this controversy flair up from time to time, and I can get the anger at the GIC folks, because yeah, if you think they're doing conversion therapy (I don't, but that's whatever) then that would be a reasonable thing to be angry about! However, it seems like addressing some of the shoddiness of the document used to shut the clinic down, which I think Singal did a good job of in the article, see the Hairy Little Vermin part, among other pretty obvious problematic parts of how it was put together and used is something that crosses some kind of line, as well as saying "I don't think these people are transphobes or TERFs, I think they're medical professionals with differing opinions who are still probably doing their damndest, from their perspective, to help the people they work with as best they can." I think the inability to look at this stuff and see the humans behind it, and to also accept that most humans are decent people who are at least trying, the essential misanthropy on display here, is utterly stupid and childish and symptomatic of a stunted view of humanity. gently caress it, I'm Fred Rogers.

I think that more people have internet disease, however, than we're comfortable admitting, and a primary symptom of internet disease is that, much like a fandom where there's a disagreement on who to ship with who, the people who disagree with you about ANYTHING must be commanded to drink bleach, must be unpersoned, and must be never allowed to be forgiven, by anybody, for anything. They should take on the most ignominious roles in our society, and nothing of value can ever be offered by them, or accepted by us, the ever-shrinking circle of Woke Good People.

It's basically terminal shittiness that's infected us, and part of it is due to (the really good) rise of voices that were previously silenced in our discourse and the anger they're now capable of getting out there, which while valid and makes sense, frequently offers nothing to the larger goal of people with generally the same goals and ideas getting along to work towards something getting done because a meeting or discussion is not the pillow you scream into.

Nobody ever had fun and helped further a cause by being called a nazi, when they are not a nazi. There are nazis out there, but these aren't them. There are TERFS out there, but these aren't them. There are transphobic things these people may have inadvertantly done, but that's still a judgment call everyone is allowed to make.

I have literally no stake in any of this anyway, and have only said and done the things I've done on and off the internet around these things because I hate unfairness and hate suffering that has no meaning or purpose or reason behind it. I don't see much point in trying to talk about it more though, because as I said, we all have internet disease, and nobody can identify when they are suffering from the symptoms of it, and identifying it in others accomplishes nothing.

So when I talk about stuff like good faith arguments and being charitable, which seems to me to be just the basics of trying to talk and persuade other humans, and the response is "that poo poo's for pussies" I guess I just should have shut up, because what was the point?

But I went on, because I, like you, have these brain worms.

selec fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 3, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a lot of words to explain that it's everybody's fault but yours that other people don't take kindly to you making apologies for people who do lovely things.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

That's a lot of words to explain that it's everybody's fault but yours that other people don't take kindly to you making apologies for people who do lovely things.

I would frame it more as "I think we're here for different reasons"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, you're here for said apologetics, everyone else isn't.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Goon Danton posted:

We're about two posts away from the "internet comedy forum" defense, I'd wager.

I knew you were a fun poster. I didn't know you were psychic too. Tell me my future! :allears:

selec
Sep 6, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, you're here for said apologetics, everyone else isn't.

I agree, human decency and charitability is for loving noobs and dipshits. The idea of "grace"? Probably invented to sell you a goddamn poo poo American car.

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THAT FAIRY TALE MADE UP BY LIBTARDS, "redemption".

You probably believe in human dignity, too, right?

Aw I'm just joshing, you are probably fun and light and easy n' breezy IRL

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
not posting is an option, you know. just throwing that out there

selec
Sep 6, 2003

boner confessor posted:

Buddy I learned from the best, look at that loving reg date: you post through it, or you never post again.

Never stop posting.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

boner confessor posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ClancyEverafter posted:

I agree, human decency and charitability is for loving noobs and dipshits.

You know it's possible to be overly charitable, right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ClancyEverafter posted:

I agree, human decency and charitability is for loving noobs and dipshits. The idea of "grace"? Probably invented to sell you a goddamn poo poo American car.

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THAT FAIRY TALE MADE UP BY LIBTARDS, "redemption".

You probably believe in human dignity, too, right?

Aw I'm just joshing, you are probably fun and light and easy n' breezy IRL

I am entirely capable of judging someone to be hostile while acknowledging they are probably that way because of environmental factors and may stop being that way at some point in time, I don't, however, feel any need to try to minimise their hostile actions in the process.

People do bad things, this can make them bad people, but even if it doesn't, they still do bad things and all the good intentions in the world don't count for anything if that is their result.

People are what they do.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Who What Now posted:

You know it's possible to be overly charitable, right?

Oh yeah, I think when you're getting to a place where you're saying "Now, I don't think you're being fair..." about actual deadnaming TERF poo poo, or right wing "homosexuality should be made illegal" then yeah, that's nothing to be charitable about.

But if your threshold is so low that people who've dedicated their lives to helping trans people, who recommend them for transition, who do all that work, that their professional disagreements turn into what we've seen, well, charitability is just some poo poo you claim to have but don't actually endorse or use. It's pretty ridiculous to reserve all your charity for the image of yourself that you jerk it to.

Humanity is at our best the greater our empathy extends.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ClancyEverafter posted:

Oh yeah, I think when you're getting to a place where you're saying "Now, I don't think you're being fair..." about actual deadnaming TERF poo poo, or right wing "homosexuality should be made illegal" then yeah, that's nothing to be charitable about.

But if your threshold is so low that people who've dedicated their lives to helping trans people, who recommend them for transition, who do all that work, that their professional disagreements turn into what we've seen, well, charitability is just some poo poo you claim to have but don't actually endorse or use. It's pretty ridiculous to reserve all your charity for the image of yourself that you jerk it to.

https://twitter.com/ChrisCaesar/status/926546199011786752

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

capshules.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ClancyEverafter posted:

Saying, "Yeah I support transitioning I guess" ain't exactly work.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

imagine moy surprise that sincereposting doesn't work, ironyposting doesn't work, even shitposting fails to make a dent in this chitinous goofball's rough exterior.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i dont really have to imagine your surprise at your lack of persuasive talent amigo you've been smearing it across the last few pages

selec
Sep 6, 2003

boner confessor posted:

i dont really have to imagine your surprise at your lack of persuasive talent amigo you've been smearing it across the last few pages

It's wild how everybody came out of this with no difference in their opinions except hating each other more. The system works!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's not true I now firmly believe in Goon Danton's psychic abilities.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
well so long as you've learned that it is in fact the system and all of society to blame and you bear no personal responsibility for failing to convince anyone that your argument has merit

selec
Sep 6, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

That's not true I now firmly believe in Goon Danton's psychic abilities.

It's pretty easy to make that happen when that's my sockpuppet

selec
Sep 6, 2003

boner confessor posted:

well so long as you've learned that it is in fact the system and all of society to blame and you bear no personal responsibility for failing to convince anyone that your argument has merit

lmao

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ClancyEverafter posted:

It's wild how everybody came out of this with no difference in their opinions except hating each other more. The system works!

No one hates you, stop being melodramatic.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ClancyEverafter posted:

I think that more people have internet disease, however, than we're comfortable admitting, and a primary symptom of internet disease is that, much like a fandom where there's a disagreement on who to ship with who, the people who disagree with you about ANYTHING must be commanded to drink bleach, must be unpersoned, and must be never allowed to be forgiven, by anybody, for anything. They should take on the most ignominious roles in our society, and nothing of value can ever be offered by them, or accepted by us, the ever-shrinking circle of Woke Good People.
Yeah, science is really just like fandom. If someone disagrees with science and suggests, say, trans kids don't exist, or carbon dioxide isn't a primary driver of climate change, or that gravity isn't real and everything's just expanding, they're just on a different "team" and their views should be respected.

ClancyEverafter posted:

Nobody ever had fun and helped further a cause by being called a nazi, when they are not a nazi. There are nazis out there, but these aren't them. There are TERFS out there, but these aren't them. There are transphobic things these people may have inadvertantly done, but that's still a judgment call everyone is allowed to make.
Yeah, if a person says they're not a nazi, they're not. It doesn't matter if they march with nazis, hold nazi flags, have internet handles with 1488 and post videos doing the nazi salute while screaming about blood and soil. They're not a nazi unless they have a signed note from Hitler himself.

This is your sincere post, huh? See, I used to think you were just dumb and overly charitable to people who agree with your dad, but now you went and threw in a random little defence of nazis out of loving nowhere. Not something I'd recommend, in general.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Let's wrap this back around to YT:
https://twitter.com/hbomberguy/status/926239288261599232

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

You just aren't being charitable enough. If you assume he's never done anything wrong and go out of your way to ignore all the evidence that he willingly associates with TERF-y assholes, then obviously he's innocent!

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Somfin posted:

Yeah, if a person says they're not a nazi, they're not.

I think about all those Nazis who work in social services, helping our poorest get housing, find medical care, food aide, all of that for our poorest, most vulnerable citizens.

That's what that sounds like to me: you can be a Nazi if you do all these things, BUT, you also have differences with other social workers about certain kinds of early childhood interventions.

It sounds conspiratorial, honestly. Like these doctors spent all these years to get their degrees, and now, finally, they can unleash their master plan of having intra-professional disagreements with their colleagues who all work on the same things they do.

Also, the nazi in this metaphor is lauded by some people of color who said "Yeah, that Nazi did incredible work, I'm really grateful to the Nazi."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ClancyEverafter posted:

I think about all those Nazis who work in social services, helping our poorest get housing, find medical care, food aide, all of that for our poorest, most vulnerable citizens.

That's what that sounds like to me: you can be a Nazi if you do all these things, BUT, you also have differences with other social workers about certain kinds of early childhood interventions.

It sounds conspiratorial, honestly. Like these doctors spent all these years to get their degrees, and now, finally, they can unleash their master plan of having intra-professional disagreements with their colleagues who all work on the same things they do.

Also, the nazi in this metaphor is lauded by some people of color who said "Yeah, that Nazi did incredible work, I'm really grateful to the Nazi."

Who, exactly, is lauding the guy?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Who, exactly, is lauding the guy?

You didn't read the article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that person blocked hbomb btw.

• Locked thread