Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I signed the contract today.
No need to :yotj:
I'm happy here so i'm glad the paperwork is done now, and I don't need to worry anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Vulture Culture posted:

You might be worth top of market. A number of people in this thread are, without question.
Aww, thank you bud!

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Sepist posted:

Problem with payscale is that they vary by locality.

There was a big salary google sheet done a year ago on reddit, if you try and find the ones in your region you may be able to get a better example of where you stand:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aLQTZLVEKUgJ7FvCB1Jkyq7kXDgke2Av379xRdUor70/edit#gid=1567124098

All this tells me is that either the people in AZ/Phoenix are under paid compared to me, or I'm way higher up the chain tech wise to everyone that posted theirs.

When I was at my last job, Glassdoor helped me get a raise to what I am worth based on job title and skillset, but really the largest jumps I've made in salary have come from going to other jobs and setting a minimum or 10k more than I made at the last place.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What’s the rule of thumb for 1099 pay vs W2 pay? Not for me, for my wife. She will hopefully be getting a call today about an art job and I don’t know whether it’s going to be 1099 or W2.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What’s the rule of thumb for 1099 pay vs W2 pay? Not for me, for my wife. She will hopefully be getting a call today about an art job and I don’t know whether it’s going to be 1099 or W2.

Isn't it, if you want to make $100k/year, you need to charge $100/hr? So basically double W2

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheFace posted:

All this tells me is that either the people in AZ/Phoenix are under paid compared to me, or I'm way higher up the chain tech wise to everyone that posted theirs.

When I was at my last job, Glassdoor helped me get a raise to what I am worth based on job title and skillset, but really the largest jumps I've made in salary have come from going to other jobs and setting a minimum or 10k more than I made at the last place.

I always shoot for 15% or more than current as my initial counter-offer. (or higher if their initial offer is more than that)

I always make them tell me what they're willing to pay first so I don't inadvertently leave money on the table.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Always speak as if you're simultaneously considering another offer.

Something like "I really don't want to be the guy who goes back and forth between two companies saying 'oh, they offered x, can you beat that?' and then running back and saying 'the other guy is offering x+5%, can you beat that?' Could you help save everybody's time and just give me your best offer, including benefits or any other perks that you think will help influence my decision? I'll be doing the same with other prospects and just compare all the offers and pick what's right."

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Outlook question:
Is this due somehow to delegate access being given to a system rather than account, despite the person giving the access via Outlook's calendar access delegation tool, which literally gives you a list of accounts? Or what else is going on here?

This is not how it works. The standard test for Exchange permissions is to log into OWA (or O365) - if delegation works from the webapp, the rights should be applied properly. My first guess would be to confirm and re-apply the delegations with PS.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Outlook question:

A person is set up to have delegate editor access to several people's calendars. This access is fine on their normal workstation.

When they go to a different computer, they no longer have this access. We use O365, they're logging in to the computer with their account, and Outlook is automatically set up using the credentials of the logged in individual.

Is this due somehow to delegate access being given to a system rather than account, despite the person giving the access via Outlook's calendar access delegation tool, which literally gives you a list of accounts? Or what else is going on here?

Missed this. There are no system binding permissions here. My best guess is maybe a corrupt profile not pulling the correct permissions from the calendars. Have you tried more than 2 workstations (regular one + random one) to try and exclude that?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Always speak as if you're simultaneously considering another offer.

Something like "I really don't want to be the guy who goes back and forth between two companies saying 'oh, they offered x, can you beat that?' and then running back and saying 'the other guy is offering x+5%, can you beat that?' Could you help save everybody's time and just give me your best offer, including benefits or any other perks that you think will help influence my decision? I'll be doing the same with other prospects and just compare all the offers and pick what's right."

That's really clever. I'm a terrible negotiator but I think I could feign that.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Happiness Commando posted:

This is not how it works. The standard test for Exchange permissions is to log into OWA (or O365) - if delegation works from the webapp, the rights should be applied properly. My first guess would be to confirm and re-apply the delegations with PS.

We've worked really hard to get users to delegate their own calendars to their admins. I'm not going to do poo poo on my end involving actually changing/confirming permissions because it will undo *all* of that. As far as the users are concerned, we have one level of permission that we offer. Full mailbox AND calendar access, no separation between them.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Missed this. There are no system binding permissions here. My best guess is maybe a corrupt profile not pulling the correct permissions from the calendars. Have you tried more than 2 workstations (regular one + random one) to try and exclude that?

Haven't had them try a 3rd machine. With our terminal session set up that'll be super easy to have them try, as well. Thanks.

Bunni-kat fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 3, 2017

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Does anyone else have an extremely dry boss? This guy has almost no humor, kind of bums me out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I’d like mine to master being competent before we get started on humour.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

At this point I'm just happy that my boss replies to my emails, even if it is very delayed. Almost all my bosses throughout my career didn't respond to email.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

At this point I'm just happy that my boss replies to my emails, even if it is very delayed. Almost all my bosses throughout my career didn't respond to email.

Your boss reads entire emails?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh no, don't be silly.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
finally got around to wrapping up our MS audit to realize we have 16 server licenses and 2 sql server cores short. c o o l :toot:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Our org has a ton of spam problems, so I purchased KnowBe4 to lessen the vulnerability. C-levels demanded getting the training first before sending the phish test for a baseline, and I obliged. Everybody completed training, sent the phish test today, and guess who clicked on the link?

No, not just C-levels, it was everybody! 60% click rate so far. But yes of the C-levels it was closer to 80%.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kashuno posted:

finally got around to wrapping up our MS audit to realize we have 16 server licenses and 2 sql server cores short. c o o l :toot:
My boss was parting out two new SQL servers for DR, and since I think they have more sockets/cores I asked him if we would be good on licenses. He said we didn't need new licenses since they were going to be idle DR nodes, but even if that's true I had to press him a few times to get him to understand that if we fail over to that environment, our current licenses probably won't cut it.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Our org has a ton of spam problems, so I purchased KnowBe4 to lessen the vulnerability. C-levels demanded getting the training first before sending the phish test for a baseline, and I obliged. Everybody completed training, sent the phish test today, and guess who clicked on the link?

No, not just C-levels, it was everybody! 60% click rate so far. But yes of the C-levels it was closer to 80%.

They sent their admins to the training, duh.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

i wonder how many people "fail" by clicking the link in a vm because they are curious, but didn't actually provide info.

I'm sure not many but i would be curious to see

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've seen people get popped by forwarding the email to coworkers as a warning, and one of those coworkers clicked the link.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

RFC2324 posted:

i wonder how many people "fail" by clicking the link in a vm because they are curious, but didn't actually provide info.

I'm sure not many but i would be curious to see

I can guarantee there are no VMs running anywhere in this organization. I'm the only IT guy, nobody else understands what a VM is.

And forwarding a malicious link to somebody else in the org is just as bad as clicking it yourself, I'm cool with them getting popped for that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I can guarantee there are no VMs running anywhere in this organization. I'm the only IT guy, nobody else understands what a VM is.

And forwarding a malicious link to somebody else in the org is just as bad as clicking it yourself, I'm cool with them getting popped for that.

oh any place with 60% fail isn't going to have anyone who thinks to sandbox it, I'm just curious in a more general sense

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If the link is like knowbe4.com/you-hosed-up.html?referral=username@domain.com I would probably remove the query string or change it to something else. Or if it's a shortener like bit.ly or goo.gl you can put a + on the end to get the stats page with the full URL.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

We've worked really hard to get users to delegate their own calendars to their admins. I'm not going to do poo poo on my end involving actually changing/confirming permissions because it will undo *all* of that. As far as the users are concerned, we have one level of permission that we offer. Full mailbox AND calendar access, no separation between them.
This. Anyone asks us to delegate permissions and the delegate gets Full Access and Send on Behalf.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

anthonypants posted:

If the link is like knowbe4.com/you-hosed-up.html?referral=username@domain.com I would probably remove the query string or change it to something else. Or if it's a shortener like bit.ly or goo.gl you can put a + on the end to get the stats page with the full URL.

It's certainly going to be a secret key, because otherwise I would just prank my coworkers.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's certainly going to be a secret key, because otherwise I would just prank my coworkers.
No one I've ever seen post about KnowBe4 has ever expressed any interest in how the product works, and only ever posts about the results. It could be using base64 or rot13 for all I know.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

anthonypants posted:

My boss was parting out two new SQL servers for DR, and since I think they have more sockets/cores I asked him if we would be good on licenses. He said we didn't need new licenses since they were going to be idle DR nodes, but even if that's true I had to press him a few times to get him to understand that if we fail over to that environment, our current licenses probably won't cut it.

Sounds like the new servers are an upgrade, set them up to replace your existing SQL servers, then use the existing for DR. Force his had on more licenses, but end up with a better overall system.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I've had people forward what they thought might be a malicious link to IT. "Is this is a virus?"
I liked those people

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm actually super lucky, my users are paranoid and good about asking on phishy emails (:v:). Between that and Mimecast, we don't have a ton of issues with spam or phishing.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I am upset about our click rate of 12% or so.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does anybody else work in an organisation that seems to put more effort into attempts at convincing themselves everything is fine, than just tackling the issues?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

TheFace posted:

Sounds like the new servers are an upgrade, set them up to replace your existing SQL servers, then use the existing for DR. Force his had on more licenses, but end up with a better overall system.
I actually brought up that they were better than the current cluster, and that we should get them shipped here, and that's when he told me the business is moving to the other side of the country. He loves surprises!!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Does anybody else work in an organisation that seems to put more effort into attempts at convincing themselves everything is fine, than just tackling the issues?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes, I work at a ski resort.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes, I too work at "everywhere."

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My org is pretty good about acknowledging that everything is broken always.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I've had other IT people send me angry tickets because they keep falling for the fake phishing emails. I'm not even in security, I'm a UNIX admin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

alg posted:

I've had other IT people send me angry tickets because they keep falling for the fake phishing emails. I'm not even in security, I'm a UNIX admin.

tell them to contact windows