Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I guess I've just never known siblings who fight that much, I never had that growing up or any of my friends with siblings. I only see kids act that bad on TV. My friend, a single mom with 3 kids, 2 the same ages as in this episode, has way way better control over them. I went on a 3 day road trip with those kids and sometimes they'd get stupid and petty over attention or a toy/game and generally "act like kids" but it wasn't non-stop and they didn't just ignore you and keep doing it if mom told them to knock it off. If one of them hit the other or threw a toy of value there'd be serious consequences. Kids learn pretty quick to tune out mom telling them to behave or stop biting their brother when it's just talk or the punishment is random, but consistent consequences/punishment for bad behavior and positive attention for good works real nice.

Isaac was a good robodad because he destroyed the kid's game, showing that with him there were actual consequences to being shits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Baronjutter posted:

I guess I've just never known siblings who fight that much, I never had that growing up or any of my friends with siblings. I only see kids act that bad on TV. My friend, a single mom with 3 kids, 2 the same ages as in this episode, has way way better control over them. I went on a 3 day road trip with those kids and sometimes they'd get stupid and petty over attention or a toy/game and generally "act like kids" but it wasn't non-stop and they didn't just ignore you and keep doing it if mom told them to knock it off. If one of them hit the other or threw a toy of value there'd be serious consequences. Kids learn pretty quick to tune out mom telling them to behave or stop biting their brother when it's just talk or the punishment is random, but consistent consequences/punishment for bad behavior and positive attention for good works real nice.

Isaac was a good robodad because he destroyed the kid's game, showing that with him there were actual consequences to being shits.

My sister has two boys roughly as far apart as these two boys are and yeah this is 100% how they acted a few years ago.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Yeah I was that way as a kid. Both parents worked and we figured out pretty quick that they weren't creative enough to punish us in ways we couldn't just shrug off. Once when I was couch-bound with strep throat my little brother would randomly smack me with a ruler just as I was falling asleep. Luckily for me he eventually broke his leg, and was equally as helpless... :unsmigghh:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gynovore posted:

So after a night of drinking contemplation, my thoughts;
  • I like Dr. Finn, but the episode didn't give us any huge insights on her character other than she's tough and resourceful, and had kids. She loves her kids and would do anything to protect them, but so does any mother.

• Stabbing the dude was WAY out of character for Finn; she should have done like every Trek doctor ever and used a hypospray as a knockout.

So we did get some huge insights into her character.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I guess I've just never known siblings who fight that much
I've also never seen a robot shoot an iPhone, but siblings fight all the time. Of course this was an exaggeration, but then, robot shooting iPhone etc

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I wonder if they only got the kids for the one episode or they'll be a semi-recurring role like the fat engineering dude.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My older brother once trapped me in a toy chest for 7 hours while I screamed and panicked.

Huh, thinking back on it, that's probably why I'm somewhat claustrophobic.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Their thesis is you need struggle or a threat to make good art but history always shows it to be the exact opposite, where the more stability there is the more art there is.

More art or better art?

Subjective obviously, but we could maybe quantify how influential.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah my dad was telling me him and his 3 siblings would fight to the point of being bloodied and bruised like weekly and parents would just say stop or spank them but generally shrug it off as kids being kids.
I'm lucky I had none of that growing up, nor did my friends with siblings. Good kids who rarely act out and chill loving siblings that never torture each other do absolutely exist though.

Also I love how not only is orville doing the whole "ship is full of families" thing but it's so luxurious every kid gets their own big bedroom too.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I loved that not only did Isaac destroy the game, but he matter-of-factly told them that the game would never be spoken of again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, worst that ever happened with me and my brother was when we were wrestling and he kicked me through a wall.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Once I got so mad at my brother for being a jerk that I put my foot through his bedroom door. Like, I kicked it hat hard. It ended up injuring me more, but he didn't have privacy for weeks.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

Once I got so mad at my brother for being a jerk that I put my foot through his bedroom door. Like, I kicked it hat hard. It ended up injuring me more, but he didn't have privacy for weeks.

I thought I was in the Trump thread and was going to comment "republicanvoter.txt"

I still did.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I ending up breaking my older sister's wrist once. It was an accident, but it happened pretty much the way the shuttle crashed. Pretty back and forth sniping made her lose her balance and brace her fall with her hand.

Never lets me forget it either, it was like a week before we went to the beach.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gynovore posted:

Stabbing the dude was WAY out of character for Finn; she should have done like every Trek doctor ever and used a hypospray as a knockout.

She didn't have hypospray. She had a communicator, a knife, and a gun.

It's very obvious that Finn was trying to preserve life. If she hadn't given a poo poo she would have executed PrepAlien when he entered the room with one bullet to the back of the head, or with a knife to the neck if "no noise" was a concern. Her plan was obviously to gut-stab him, a painful but not immediate way to die, escape, and come back to heal him later. Instead, the knife didn't slow him down sufficiently and he gained the upper hand, so at that point she's out of options - the knife is in her adversary's gut, so her only play is the gun.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 3, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Baronjutter posted:

I thought her kids were over the top and reminded me of how so many times when black single mom's are shown having boys they're always these totally violently uncontrollable shits because obviously without a strong father figure kids can't grow up right. Thats been a lovely media trope for a long long time. I just finished watching Vice Principals and it's the exact same situation, single black mom who's a respected professional but has totally out of control hosed up kids because that's just how kids obviously get without a strongdad. It felt like they were presenting her choice to be a single mom as a mistake because look, she's totally over her head can't control her kids at all, this is what you get for trying to have a career and kids without a man. Luckily a strong robodad stepped in and taught those kids to respect their mom and stop screaming and hitting each other for 2 seconds.
Yeah I feel like the worst things about this season so far are the things steeped in classic tropes that make me roll my eyes. Annoying child characters, no matter how realistic, are still annoying child characters that make me despise enduring whatever media I'm consuming. This can sound super grognard but this has just been the way I feel about any child acting since I was a small, well behaved child. Acting like a poo poo never gets you anywhere, so why bother? Then you had the jealousy trope in Pria and the ignorant oaf trope in Social Media World and I found myself eye rolling way too much. It was enough in this episode that when it was over I thought "well, I don't know who the audience is for that kinda stuff, it's certainly not me, but it was a good episode for that kinda stuff." It felt like the most dramatic episode with the least amount of jokes.

Then I read this thread which reminded me of basically every time Isaac talked and how hilarious it was. There really was a lot of entertainment in this episode, just like how Pria and Social Media World had plenty to entertain when you get past the parts that just don't feel original or progressive. So, yeah, despite this episode being full of stuff I don't generally find enjoyable, there was still just enough that I can confidently call it a good episode and continue enjoying this show.

BTW when the shuttle gets split in half and you see Finn's half just fly away... holy gently caress that is nightmare inducing. Nice job being a scary show.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Man, I'm glad I'm an only child.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
one year for christmas my parents gave me a box of broken glass and my brother a box of band-aids and said "you two share"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This was just posted in the STD:DISCO thread:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

It's so loving strange to me that that's a real model because for some reason it looks like CG in the show.

And then you see the things that are CG and they look worse and you're like "ok.. maybe it's not CG?"

In any case I want that model.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 4, 2017

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
When we were kids, my sister once hit me in the head with crescent wrench. Another occasion after she'd been tormenting me for a while then felt bad and tried to hug it out I bit her in the stomach so hard I drew blood.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

My siblings and I just bickered and fought using words, until we grew old enough to realize how terrible we were acting.
But that was my point: what The Orville showed was bratty kids acting like bratty kids, not an attack on 'single black mothers' as the earlier poster suggested. And at least these kids stopped being annoying and stepped up when they were in danger, as real kids would.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DaveKap posted:

BTW when the shuttle gets split in half and you see Finn's half just fly away... holy gently caress that is nightmare inducing. Nice job being a scary show.

They really gave Dr. Finn a rough time of it. The crash, being separated from the kids, trapped by PrepAlien, crossing a window ledge to safety. I was impressed by how they shot the captivity scenes. The camera work emphasized how much bigger and more threatening he was, it really made the scenes creepier. And when they do get violent, he does just backhand her down the hallway even after being stabbed. A woman's nightmare right there.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Carbon dioxide posted:

If they don't make this model available for sale, I'll be greatly disappointed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

slave to my cravings posted:

I hope they do a Isaac episode where they visit his home planet and the leader is played by Brent Spiner

I hope Seth has the clout and balls to have Brent Spiner actually playing Isaac under a fake name and has managed to keep a lid on it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I was shy and fairly well behaved as a kid, and I still fought with my older sister all the time back when I was in my "bratty kid" years. Nothing physical, but we would get on each other's nerves pretty consistently. For me this episode brought back memories of me and my sister fighting over space during vacations in our family's old Dodge Caravan.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

precision posted:

I hope Seth has the clout and balls to have Brent Spiner actually playing Isaac under a fake name and has managed to keep a lid on it.

Uhh... We know exactly who's playing Isaac.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Peachfart posted:

My siblings and I just bickered and fought using words, until we grew old enough to realize how terrible we were acting.
But that was my point: what The Orville showed was bratty kids acting like bratty kids, not an attack on 'single black mothers' as the earlier poster suggested. And at least these kids stopped being annoying and stepped up when they were in danger, as real kids would.

Yeah, part of the thing about being a kid or even a teenager is that your brain doesn't work the way an adult brain does. You act like an impulsive, selfish rear end in a top hat (by adult standards) without necessarily realizing that you're doing it, or why you're doing it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Has Isaac ever said he doesn't have emotions? He wanted to learn about organic stuff, but I've had the impression he definitely already has emotions. Or a better version thereof.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Has Isaac ever said he doesn't have emotions? He wanted to learn about organic stuff, but I've had the impression he definitely already has emotions. Or a better version thereof.

He clearly says "I am relieved" and means it, I think it was pretty clear that he has emotions, he just wants to learn about human culture and behavior.

Data would have been all "My programming doesn't allow me to be relieved"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Kurieg posted:

Uhh... We know exactly who's playing Isaac.

How can he be real, he doesn't even have a wikipedia page?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

precision posted:

He had the clout and balls to have that guy on the far right pretend to be Brent Spiner.

God drat Bortus's actor is a straight up pimp.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Gynovore posted:

Hehe, that's an awesome theory, but it implies Sisko snuck out of the wormhole to make whoopie with Cassidy once more :)

They're twins, but she gave birth while stuck in the wormhole. Ask Worf, he was there.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Oh wow, the shuttle has the Boeing cockpit warning alarm voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKkrCx4-pGE

That was the best in-joke for anyone who knows anything about airplanes. Should I be surprised that Seth or whoever came up with it knows about this specific alarm?

Also, I'm pretty sure the computer voice is Seth MacFarlane's sister. :3:

The whole shuttle crash scene seemed heavily influenced by the plane crash in Flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nhxm5QEbYI

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mental Hospitality posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure the computer voice is Seth MacFarlane's sister. :3:

i laughed when i saw that the computer was voiced by a macfarlane

injokes extending to casting is something i can appreciate

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

WampaLord posted:

He clearly says "I am relieved" and means it, I think it was pretty clear that he has emotions, he just wants to learn about human culture and behavior.

Data would have been all "My programming doesn't allow me to be relieved"

I think data said he was relieved on some context. And there's the episode where Troi explains that data does have a concept of friendship and positive experiences that he's prone to reinforcing.

Isaac probably doesn't get scared but he also probably had a good "survival instinct" equivalent.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just got to watch it finally and wow, that was probably my favorite episode so far. Isaac traveling with those kids and that little boy getting sick just got me right in the emotions.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Just got to watch it finally and wow, that was probably my favorite episode so far.

Just watched it, too. Maybe one of my favourite episodes once you get past the first 10-15 minutes, and I think I know why. There was very little of what this show usually relies on for humour; the funny bits were understated, and flowed naturally from the characters and their interactions with the situation and each other.

The way the humour undercut Krill and Majority Rule was just painful.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Computer voiced by the creator's wife? Perfect symmetry. It's like a circle, it's poetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

Were it not for the picture being right there (as opposed to a link), I would have assumed this was some gross-out rickroll attempt showing John Trevolta with advanced (disfiguring) syphilis.