Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Dumb question, how do I run the umod files?

Wasn't there also a way import the unreal files into unreal tournament 99 ? So you can play it with the UT hud and weapons etc

:snoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

heard u like girls posted:

Wasn't there also a way import the unreal files into unreal tournament 99 ? So you can play it with the UT hud and weapons etc

That's a mod named Oldskool, which most importantly also lets you auto-taunt the campaign enemies when you kill them (IIRC).

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Someone actually made a wad for the Epistle3 jam for recreating/imagining HL2:E3.

https://itch.io/jam/epistle-3-jam

https://yakbonebattleaxe.itch.io/epistle3wad

Edit: has anyone managed to extract the WAD for that Wolf3D clone in Wolfenstein II yet or is it? It looked emulated so there must be some data that would be either a .pak or .wad friendly type.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 3, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Edit: has anyone managed to extract the WAD for that Wolf3D clone in Wolfenstein II yet or is it? It looked emulated so there must be some data that would be either a .pak or .wad friendly type.
Someone on another forum claimed to be poking at it. Apparently you can pull out the modified graphics and levels and play them in ECWolf, but menus and audio are handled separately by Id Tech 6.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Man I think Diablo was the first Internet multiplayer game I ever played...as I recall one of the first games that really had a kind of central multiplayer system setup for the internet and didn't have to use something like Kali.

Funny enough I think Heretic 2 was maybe the first real online multiplayer deathmatch that I played before getting into stuff like Counterstrike when it came out.

Played a ton of Duke3D deathmatch and Hexen co-op over the phone lines with my friends though!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

haveblue posted:

That's a mod named Oldskool, which most importantly also lets you auto-taunt the campaign enemies when you kill them (IIRC).

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm doing a Death wish playthrough for GDXblood and its suddenly stopped displaying the on-screen messages when you pick up tomes and ammo and the like. I suppose I could just bull through it, but I kinda like the little bits of lore the tomes give you. Can I fix this?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Klaus88 posted:

I'm doing a Death wish playthrough for GDXblood and its suddenly stopped displaying the on-screen messages when you pick up tomes and ammo and the like. I suppose I could just bull through it, but I kinda like the little bits of lore the tomes give you. Can I fix this?

Did you accidentally turn off messages? I'm not sure what the hot key is in Blood but it was F8 in Duke 3d.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I don't remember the first FPS I played online, but the first game I ever played online was C&C: Red Alert through the service MPlayer. I was a 10 year old kid, and got crushed every single time by people rushing heavy tanks and base creeping tesla coils :allears:

I *think* the first FPS I played online was UT99.

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

I'm doing a Death wish playthrough for GDXblood...

Just so you know, GDX doesn't display palette #1 properly in Blood yet unless the sector lighting is actually set to 1. If you see a weird parallax ceiling (see dwe2m8) or something that's probably it. There's also a large area in the final boss stage that's completely dark because the floor is supposed to be lit up with pal#1.

DOSBox displays all this stuff properly if you want to know what it should look like.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I made a game inspired by early FPS shooters (mostly Quake, but many Doom elements) for a Halloween Game Jam.

Only had a month to make it. Wish I could have added in rockets and more exciting weapons and gibs in that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9sD5tCgYlc

It's available for download too if anyone is actually interested in playing it.

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 4, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Angelwolf posted:

I made a game inspired by early FPS shooters (mostly Quake, but many Doom elements) for a Halloween Game Jam.

Only had a month to make it. Wish I could have added in rockets and more exciting weapons and gibs in that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9sD5tCgYlc

It's available for download too if anyone is actually interested in playing it.
I don’t know how I feel about literally using a bunch of Doom/Quake sound effects... Where are the textures & models from? Are they original? Does your game do anything that a Quake mod can’t do?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

heard u like girls posted:

From what I remember it's all pretty easy, just drag and drop the system folders from unreal into UT99. drag and drop the first map onto the unreal tourney exe in the system folder, loads it up.. just remember to disable AI bots before hand or it'll put a load of them in amongst all the monsters already in the map.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

david_a posted:

I don’t know how I feel about literally using a bunch of Doom/Quake sound effects... Where are the textures & models from? Are they original? Does your game do anything that a Quake mod can’t do?

The textures are asset purchases (mostly) and the models (as in the monsters) are the same. Weapon models were made by me which is why they're so basic. Sounds are from various sound packs and individual downloads, and the music is from independent artists allowing people to use them in their projects for free.

Can it do anything a Quake mod can't do? Probably, if I wanted it to. But I don't.

This was a community game jam entry run by Leadwerks Software using the Leadwerks engine, not a game that's going to be sold on Steam or something.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Yeah, game jams are for fun and experimentation. I don't remember a jam game that ended up being a commercial thing (surgeon simulator dooesn't count, they had the game ready for that year's game jam. I was in that jam).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Yeah, game jams are for fun and experimentation. I don't remember a jam game that ended up being a commercial thing (surgeon simulator dooesn't count, they had the game ready for that year's game jam. I was in that jam).

Goat Simulator? I think it started as a jam project that somehow took on a life of its own.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Tippis posted:

Goat Simulator? I think it started as a jam project that somehow took on a life of its own.

If it's by the same team, then they pulled off the same thing. I specifically remember Surgeon Simulator being one of their ready-to-go prototypes and they had the hand-system ready from day-1. It was free advertisement, so no wonder why they chose that event and the theme was heartbeat.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Curious as to why it took half the game for Halo to finally let me use its shotgun.

Also almost thought it was useless against the Flood, since the first batch is like a bajillion of the small things that are too spread out for it to be effective, but it turns out it's invaluable against the bigger Flood, so I guess they gave it to me just in time.

Also also: hey, I'm further in the campaign than I ever have been, how about that. Usually tapped out (unintentionally) around the snow level, but now I'm up through its backwards rehash. I might actually finish a Halo campaign!

Also also also: Yeah, the Library kinda sucks. Didn't hate it as much as I'd anticipated I would, but the copy-paste was as blatant as everyone indicated it was.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Halo's shotgun is pretty much specifically the anti-Flood tool so that's why it takes so long to appear.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The H1 shotgun is also really strong against practically everything, it can one-shot almost anything in the game except gold elites and vehicles, and it carries like 60 shells, which is probably why the early levels don’t let you get one.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's also got that signature Bungie behavior of only being really effective at point-blank range.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

It's also got that signature Bungie behavior of only being really effective at point-blank range.

This is true to the point of uselessness of the shotguns in the other Halo games but the spread on the H1 shotgun is much tighter. It’s quite effective at medium range as well.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

haveblue posted:

The Marathon 2/Infinity shotgun has a better spread than the assault rifle and does more damage per pellet and (when dual-wielded) more projectiles per second. It's pretty decent at medium range and nothing in those games is effective at long range.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RyokoTK posted:

The Marathon 2/Infinity shotgun has a better spread than the assault rifle and does more damage per pellet and (when dual-wielded) more projectiles per second. It's pretty decent at medium range and nothing in those games is effective at long range.

Dual pistols are the best long-range weapon, they barely have any spread if you can get them on target without a crosshair.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

haveblue posted:

Dual pistols are the best long-range weapon, they barely have any spread if you can get them on target without a crosshair.

I remember the flechette rifle being pretty accurate as well.

Really, though, the best weapon at every range is the SPNKr :getin:

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Some Amid Evil gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rozsO71Siko

The graphics remind me of a bunch of different games. Pickups look straight outta Heretic/Hexen and the levels remind me of Unreal or Painkiller

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 6, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

I remember the flechette rifle being pretty accurate as well.

Really, though, the best weapon at every range is the SPNKr :getin:

The flechette rifle burns ammo too fast to be much good at range. It will kill stuff but you will run out of bullets before you know it.

I’m not sure I’d agree that Marathon weapons are never effective at long range, it’s definitely possible to play it like a shmup and stand off sidestepping fire while pelting enemies with rockets/fusion/enforcer fireballs/pistol rounds. But Marathon’s combat seems to me to reward going in and dancing around your enemies more than staying at a distance most of the time.

haveblue posted:

Modern Aleph One has a crosshair option :ssh: Weapon-specific graphics even! I think it’s ripped from the XBLA M2 release.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

HolyKrap posted:

Some Amid Evil gameplay

The graphics remind me of a bunch of different games. Pickups look straight outta Heretic/Hexen and the levels remind me of Unreal or Painkiller

Very excited for this release, but currently not a fan of the HUD with its godawful font. Would have been a lot happier with a stylized HUD like Heretic's.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

skasion posted:

The flechette rifle burns ammo too fast to be much good at range. It will kill stuff but you will run out of bullets before you know it.

I’m not sure I’d agree that Marathon weapons are never effective at long range, it’s definitely possible to play it like a shmup and stand off sidestepping fire while pelting enemies with rockets/fusion/enforcer fireballs/pistol rounds. But Marathon’s combat seems to me to reward going in and dancing around your enemies more than staying at a distance most of the time.

Modern Aleph One has a crosshair option :ssh: Weapon-specific graphics even! I think it’s ripped from the XBLA M2 release.

haveblue probably is well aware of what Aleph One can do :)

The big reason the Marathon guns aren't good at long-range is the slow bullet speed. The rocket launcher is the only really effective long-range weapon simply because it at least has no inaccuracy and it's the strongest per-hit weapon.

Also the weapon-specific crosshairs were added in a relatively recent A1 update (it's a plugin that, in fact, does rip from the XBLA release), but it's had a generic crosshair option for longer than that.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yea I'm getting really excited for Amid Evil. I know it's dumb but I like the res scaler. I already talked about how I like the more aliased look to it and older 3d game and yea this looks great.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Aaaand done. It's only taken me 16 years, but I've finally beaten Halo.

...is the PC port of Halo 2 worthwhile, or should I just consider looking into getting an Xbox or something

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

...is the PC port of Halo 2 worthwhile, or should I just consider looking into getting an Xbox or something

I think Xbones are like $20 these days and you can just get the Master Chief Collection

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Shadow Hog posted:

It's not the worst PC port, but it controls far better with a controller than keyboard and mouse and the multiplayer is mostly dead (dedicated servers and matchmaking are shut down). Meanwhile the MCC version is nice and has a very impressive graphical upgrade and cinematics (optional, of course), which are almost worth the price of admission alone if you are into that sort of thing. Plus you'll have to get an Xbox anyway for Halo3 and ODST, so you might as well.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Shadow Hog posted:

It's perfectly fine, though I did install this unnoficial patch to fix stuff.
http://www.h2v.online/install/

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Also unless the unofficial patch fixes this use your control panel and force Vsync. It's one of those games that ties physics calculations to framerates so you just end up being really slow.

Overall I think it's an okay enough port. I do wish I had the throwaway money for an Xbone and MCC because I'm a huge loving Halo fan.

Rocket Pan posted:

It's not the worst PC port, but it controls far better with a controller than keyboard and mouse and the multiplayer is mostly dead (dedicated servers and matchmaking are shut down). Meanwhile the MCC version is nice and has a very impressive graphical upgrade and cinematics (optional, of course), which are almost worth the price of admission alone if you are into that sort of thing. Plus you'll have to get an Xbox anyway for Halo3 and ODST, so you might as well.

ODST is still my favorite Halo game. But don't forget Halo Reach.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Ularg posted:

But don't forget Halo Reach.

I played the poo poo out of Reach, so I'm not even sure how I forgot it. :shepicide:
It too can be played on an Xbox One via 360 back compat, just FYI.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

HolyKrap posted:

Some Amid Evil gameplay

Yeah this basically looks like Quake, down to the difficulty selection in the hub, just with Hexen's mana system/fantasy weapons. Shame, I really wanted them to do a proper Hexen-alike. :(

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It always felt a shame that Hexen/Heretic never had a longer life span. It would be kinda cool to have a larger semi-open world game with the magical-shooter elements.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://theeyzmaster.deviantart.com/art/Doom64-EX-PC-CustomCoverArt-442406337

Cool cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I like Doom's PR team:

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/927641742131605505