Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Further proof the footy media sucks.

It isn't a payrise.
http://girlsplayfooty.com/2017/11/new-aflw-player-payments-for-2018-dont-call-it-a-pay-rise.html

quote:

AFLW players will receive a total of $477,000 more in player payments in 2018, but don’t be too quick to call it a pay rise.

As part of the revised contracts for 2018, players will in fact receive larger overall sums than in 2017, but will be asked to do more contracted work for less hourly pay, and be faced with potentially severe tax penalties for the increased income.

The Herald Sun flippantly claimed that all AFLW players had won a “big pay rise” in an article released on Thursday afternoon, which outlines the new payment structure for players.

Tier one players – formerly known as marquees – will have their salaries jump from $17,000 in 2017 to $20,000 in 2018, tier two players from $12,000 to $14,500, and the majority of AFLW players on the base wage from $8,500 to $10,500.

Rookies, who are not eligible to play unless a senior listed player is moved to the long-term injury list, will earn $8,500.

On the surface, that’s great news, and quite clearly that’s where the Herald Sun staff chose to stop, despite us outlining the flaws of calling the proposed new pay scale a ‘pay rise’ back in August.

Had they decided to scratch further than the surface before so boldly proclaiming the victory for the AFLW, they will have discovered that the players are contracted for more hours for significantly less income per hour.

In 2017, AFLW players were contracted for 24 weeks at an average of 11 contact hours per week at the club. We can work out that in total, players were each paid for approximately 264 hours for the season.

After a post-season review, it was discovered that players were well exceeding their nine contracted contact hours, hence the payment review.

In 2018, AFLW players will still be contracted for 24 weeks, and will now spend on average 15 hours per week at the club throughout the duration of their contracts. We can work out that in total, players will be paid for approximately 360 hours across the season.

Immediately that should ring alarm bells: a 36 per cent increase in contracted hours, but only a 20.96 per cent increase in total player payments.

By using the average total hours of 264 for 2017 and 360 for 2018, and knowing that the AFLW functions as a second job for the majority of players and hence incurs higher tax rates, the average hourly rate for players in fact decreases by an average 13 per cent in 2018.

Players on the base payment who earned an average of $24.92 per hour in 2017 will earn an average of $21.96 per hour in 2018.

More in the article, good read. But I was telling people online last night it wasn't a payrise, just that the women are now getting paid for what was previously unpaid overtime. Turns out it is slightly worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Sloane is gone imo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:negative:

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I believed the gossip site :(

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/TheAFLupdate/photos/a.767474663365615.1073741828.767274933385588/1486087544837653/?type=3

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
port adelaide

out: jackson trengove
in: jack trengove

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
In the last couple of days POrt have picked up Trent McKenzie from GC and Jack Trengove from the Dees as delisted FAs. That's a pretty big off season for Port.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

In the last couple of days POrt have picked up Trent McKenzie from GC and Jack Trengove from the Dees as delisted FAs. That's a pretty big off season for Port.

Also they are going to pick up Lindsey Thomas as a rookie which isnt such a big off season for Port.

Meanwhile SEX SCANDAL alert from the Herald Sun about........ Gary Lyons ex wife. Hooo boy gently caress off no one gives a poo poo.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

It's such a bizarre hail mary from Port. Rockliff is a quality player and Motlop has the capacity to be brilliant but they've picked up Watts, McKenzie, Trengove and Thomas with only Watts actually having some form of proven quality.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Testekill posted:

It's such a bizarre hail mary from Port. Rockliff is a quality player and Motlop has the capacity to be brilliant but they've picked up Watts, McKenzie, Trengove and Thomas with only Watts actually having some form of proven quality.

It's interesting. In terms of draft picks they didn't give up much, and I'm not sure it'll break their salary cap either. It definitely seems like it'll offset the players they lost while keeping their depth decent in a year they are clearly expecting to push deep into finals.

They've had a shitload of changes to the list for one year though:

IN: Tom Rockliff, Steven Motlop, Jack Watts, Trent McKenzie, Jack Trengove, Lindsay Thomas
OUT: Nathan Krakouer, Jackson Trengove, Angus Monfries, Jarman Impey, Brendon Ah Chee, Aaron Young, Logan Austin, Matthew Lobbe, Matthew White, Jesse Palmer, Brett Eddy

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/926329686614990848

Thats pretty hosed up. Hostile takeover complete.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

drunkill posted:

https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/926329686614990848

Thats pretty hosed up. Hostile takeover complete.

It's messed up as hell.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Not in any way surprising

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Meanwhile I've just found out about the screaming cowboy thing and I am very, very confused.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

The Deadly Hume posted:

Meanwhile I've just found out about the screaming cowboy thing and I am very, very confused.

I just found out about it to, holy poo poo the screaming

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Poor old Jimmy, records albums with people like Don Gehman in the 80s to try and crack the States, finally does it 30 years later as a meme.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

Holy poo poo, I saw that video on rage about a month ago sitting at a mates place drinking and we loving pissed ourselves laughing when that bit hit. Simply amazing.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume posted:

I’m too old for this poo poo

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
That song and video really suck and I regret looking it up

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Deadly Hume posted:

Poor old Jimmy, records albums with people like Don Gehman in the 80s to try and crack the States, finally does it 30 years later as a meme.

Holy poo poo that's Barnesy :stare:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Barnsey’s still got it

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I love stuff like that

Like literally rooms of people had to sign off on it and not one of them went 'hay guys this is fucjk awful????'

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I can't tell if Kirin J Callinan's shtick is meant to be a joke or not. Its just like a very earnest of episode Mighty Boosh.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

monolithburger posted:

I can't tell if Kirin J Callinan's shtick is meant to be a joke or not. Its just like a very earnest of episode Mighty Boosh.

It's definitely ironic/trolling type stuff. Viceland did a piece on him that was pretty funny in an awkward way.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Are Jimmy Barnes or that whistling chick in on the joke because I don't think they are

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

hiddenmovement posted:

Are Jimmy Barnes or that whistling chick in on the joke because I don't think they are

They both look so earnest it is so painful

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Barnesy's a pretty funny fellow so I reckon he was. Probably didn't expect the thing to go ballistic though.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

p sure Molly Lewis is in on the joke

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I just went into fits of hysterics as soon as Barnsey the sky cowboy started screaming across multiple locations and outfits

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://twitter.com/titusoreily/status/927449320294531072

🔥

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

In that same vein, Michael Johnson was found guilty of dropping his trousers in a kabab shop and then trying to punch a guy who was filming him. Ended up with a fine.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Spedman posted:

In that same vein, Michael Johnson was found guilty of dropping his trousers in a kabab shop and then trying to punch a guy who was filming him. Ended up with a fine.

Actual CCTV footage.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Optus Oval The Second?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Speaking of Optus oval, Carlton has a new CEO and surprisingly it isn't Lethlean.
https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/928079355930075136

Former Geelong player (four games in 1995) and Richmond chief customer officer Cain Liddle, hopefully knows how to boost our dismal (for the size of the club) membership numbers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Prepare for a silent punishment from AFL House for not handing over the golden parachute as requested

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Crows AFLW premiership coach Bec Goddard will be part of the Australian men’s coaching team for the International Rules match against Ireland in Adelaide this Sunday, November 12.

Goddard will join Geelong coach Chris Scott and his brother, North Melbourne Coach Brad, as well as Fremantle coach Ross Lyon on the coaching panel for the first game of the two-match test series at Adelaide Oval.

It’s all about continuing to learn for Goddard, who – together with her work at the Australian Federal Police (AFP) – has spent much of the AFLW off season studying different coaches and their methods.

“I saw the International Rules series was on and I thought it would be great for my professional development, so I sent an email to Chris Scott to see if it was a chance,” Goddard said.

“I want to learn from different coaches and I thought this was an opportunity too good to miss.”

:unsmith:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

It’s all about continuing to learn for Goddard, who – together with her work at the Australian Federal Police (AFP) – has spent much of the AFLW off season studying different coaches and their methods.

I initially read this as the AFP having an investigation into AFL coaches that she was involved in. I was excited and then disappointed.

Good for her though, hopefully this is another step in the right direction for women in footy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

All part of a long running AFP investigation into Ross Lyon for crimes against football

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

All part of a long running AFP investigation into Ross Lyon for crimes against football

In a stunning betrayal Zac Dawson will be the main witness (on top of his career being a key piece of evidence) against Lyon.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

De Boer has signed on for another 2 years at GWS, I'm not surprised they want to keep him around. He won the Clubman Award at Freo two years in a row, and he's the kind of professional workman type GWS would want to have around all their high draft picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Bec Goddard is great and I'm happy to see her involved in more coaching things :)

• Locked thread