Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

bird cooch posted:

When is The Carter page testimony transcript supposed to come out?

They will release it on a single loose-leaf, it will be known as "The Carter Page".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a condition of carter page testifying was they'd release his transcript.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

bird cooch posted:

Everything polls better right up until implementation.

Also what's the left of the Democratic Party? The Clinton platform was very Progressive. It just had the distinction of actually having some funding mechanisms built into it which nobody likes to see. Everybody wants something until they figure out how much it's going to cost.

Edit:\/\/\/\/ this too.

The Clinton platform was very progressive. Only it was led by a person that up until Bernie joined the primary was very clearly going to run to the right of Obama. See her "Hard Choices" book, her continued defense of her participation in the Honduras coup, her stances on the debates, etc. The only reason she ran a progressive campaign was because Bernie pushed her left, and the main reason actual leftists distrusted her was because she had a long history of centrist triangulation and had been clearly planning to run on a more hawkish platform than Obama.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I guarantee that I've donated more money and participated in more fundraisers for the Ada county DNC than you did.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I loving love that story of Trump expecting the world to adore him and just... no one cares. This is why he ran for president.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Crabtree posted:

This will continue now on the hours that Trump is likely to post and be known as Twitter Maintenance time.

I would do all the moves if they took down his account for the exact times they take down healthcare.gov. :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ularg posted:

I loving love that story of Trump expecting the world to adore him and just... no one cares. This is why he ran for president.

the one solace of his presidency is knowing how it constantly eats away at him that he's so unpopular. and how much the media hates him because he's always wanted the media to love him.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

joepinetree posted:

The Clinton platform was very progressive. Only it was led by a person that up until Bernie joined the primary was very clearly going to run to the right of Obama. See her "Hard Choices" book, her continued defense of her participation in the Honduras coup, her stances on the debates, etc. The only reason she ran a progressive campaign was because Bernie pushed her left, and the main reason actual leftists distrusted her was because she had a long history of centrist triangulation and had been clearly planning to run on a more hawkish platform than Obama.

Haha, I guess you can live in your own world.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

I guarantee that I've donated more money and participated in more fundraisers for the Ada county DNC than you did.

I don't live in Jon Ossoff's district. And I only used him as an example because of his centrist personified status. At some point just admit that there will never be a time and a place where it will be acceptable to push the party left.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

bird cooch posted:

When is The Carter page testimony transcript supposed to come out?

"Page reached a rare agreement to allow the committee to release a transcript of his testimony, something that will happen early next week"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's okay to be critical of the Democratic Party while also admitting that any Republican is a million times worse. I check straight Ds except except in races uncontested by Republicans, but the fact that a bunch of Republicans are in charge sure as hell isn't going to keep me from complaining about how bad of a candidate Martha Coakley was to keep handing victories to empty suit Republicans or how much of a turd Debbie Wasserman Schultz is.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

the one solace of his presidency is knowing how it constantly eats away at him that he's so unpopular. and how much the media hates him because he's always wanted the media to love him.

More specifically , The Old Money in NYC will still hate him forever even if he give them taxcuts.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bicyclops posted:

It's okay to be critical of the Democratic Party while also admitting that any Republican is a million times worse. I check straight Ds except except in races uncontested by Republicans, but the fact that a bunch of Republicans are in charge sure as hell isn't going to keep me from complaining about how bad of a candidate Martha Coakley was to keep handing victories to empty suit Republicans or how much of a turd Debbie Wasserman Schultz is.
Yes, and pushing candidates from one side of the political spectrum works if it's done by a large enough group of people. Compare the GOP from 2004 to now. Centrism is effectively dead in the party. This is because of the Tea Party groups and others who forced primary challenges on the candidates they didn't like. Ultimately it had an effect.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

joepinetree posted:

I don't live in Jon Ossoff's district. And I only used him as an example because of his centrist personified status. At some point just admit that there will never be a time and a place where it will be acceptable to push the party left.

I'm going at it locally with the full intention to run for school board in the future under the campaign of "hey fuckers I'm a scientist.". Inserting my leftist view points where I can.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Rinkles posted:

"Page reached a rare agreement to allow the committee to release a transcript of his testimony, something that will happen early next week"

Great, thanks. I guess I was hoping for a Friday drop to keep the weekend interesting.

joepinetree posted:

The country isn't that far to the left, and without a majority nothing can happen. It's all fine and dandy to want things but demanding them doesn't work. There's no way to say my way or the highway and win races when you're in the minority by a lot.
You gotta understand the Republicans or the far-right and the Democrats basically incompass everyone else. Being the big tent sucks because you have to reach a lot of different demographics and you can't just say because this isn't specifically what I wantI give up.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Zoro posted:

Nope, it's a photoshop that this kid faked for exposure. That's why he retweeted it as a photo.

Besides anyone who's been paying attention knows his dumb insult name for Flake is "Flake Jeff Flake" anyway? :colbert:

Also continuing to side with the people that say this thread sucks dicks today with all the DNC chatter. Trump wants people to be talking about this poo poo nobody rightly cares about right now in the immediacy of other factors so I really don't know what the gently caress. Somebody should show him this thread to calm his poo poo down so he doesn't do worse than Bush I and literally poo poo on the Japanese Prime Minister's lap at dinner.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 4, 2017

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Does it not bother anyone that the DNC was so poorly managed that they had to rely on Clinton for money? I get the deal if you're really in dire straits, but what were the democrats doing under Obama that led to this situation?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

bird cooch posted:

Great, thanks. I guess I was hoping for a Friday drop to keep the weekend interesting.

Remember to pace your sugar intake.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Someone asked earlier how Bernie keeps throwing POC under the bus:

https://twitter.com/_celia_marie_/status/925387555956314112

Yea we must fight for the rights of the underprivileged but also more importantly "ordinary Americans" too. This is dog whistling bullshit. He has consistently ignored us and it's why he lost the primary in the first place.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, and pushing candidates from one side of the political spectrum works if it's done by a large enough group of people. Compare the GOP from 2004 to now. Centrism is effectively dead in the party. This is because of the Tea Party groups and others who forced primary challenges on the candidates they didn't like. Ultimately it had an effect.

Ultimately it had the result of the Republicans being completely unable to govern even though they control all three branches. Even worse, as a minority party they couldn't even put up a unified front other than stopping legislation because they had to cater to the crazies all the time. Anytime you have a minority of the party holding part of it hostage you're completely incapacitated.

Using the tea party as an example is a horrible idea. it's been a Schism in the Republican party and it honestly resulted in who is president right now and the government that we currently have to deal with. Whenever you have to go way out in the wings to get your votes you owe those people. gently caress the fringes we're supposed to be working towards the greater good for the entire country so there are going to be people who are unhappy on the edges. There is no one shoe that fits all feet. There is no one government that's going to make everybody happy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sanders is most popular among african americans and by a pretty big margin.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

there was a little anecdote in the 'post a crazy chain email' thread on PYF (which is amazing in retrospect, because Trump seems to use those as policy papers) that Trump is not on the New York social registry. His kids are, though. He just wants to be accepted and is so, so bad at it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Casey Finnigan posted:

Does it not bother anyone that the DNC was so poorly managed that they had to rely on Clinton for money? I get the deal if you're really in dire straits, but what were the democrats doing under Obama that led to this situation?

https://theintercept.com/2017/11/03/dnc-donna-brazile-hillary-clinton-barack-obama/

quote:

It didn’t have to be this way. Obama’s campaign operation, Obama for America, took small-dollar giving to never-before-seen heights and opened up the possibility of a transformation of politics. But he quickly decided to marginalize his group after the 2008 election. He renamed it Organizing for America, but ordered it to do very little organizing, worried that if grassroots activists attacked Blue Dog Democrats, they would bolt from the president and lose in 2010. Then-White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel famously told activists such a strategy was “loving retarded.” (Most lost anyway in 2010, as the tea party wave swept them out.)

OFA became Obama’s primary campaign apparatus, supplanting the DNC, which became an afterthought handed to Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., who later became Clinton’s running mate. After the 2010 wave, Obama put Florida Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz on top of the moribund institution, a clear signal that he was uninterested in it as a central component of the party. Obama’s poor relationship with Wasserman Schultz was widely known and written about, but he left her in the job for six years regardless.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Golly gee willikers that show during the primary.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

We must run in different circles of black folks then

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Uh Hillary killed the African American vote in the primaries. Didn't she win Georgia by like 60 points?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he's +60 with african americans and +7 with white folk.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Uh Hillary killed the African American vote in the primaries. Didn't she win Georgia by like 60 points?

i'm talking nowish. primary voters skew older and again the devil you know.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

bird cooch posted:

The country isn't that far to the left, and without a majority nothing can happen. It's all fine and dandy to want things but demanding them doesn't work. There's no way to say my way or the highway and win races when you're in the minority by a lot.
You gotta understand the Republicans or the far-right and the Democrats basically incompass everyone else. Being the big tent sucks because you have to reach a lot of different demographics and you can't just say because this isn't specifically what I wantI give up.

I like that your takeaway of me fundraising for Ossoff is that I am saying my way or the highway.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

What about among democrats rather than the population as a whole?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
For fucks sakes this is not a Democrats Primary thread. :wtc: folks

At this point it does no one any loving good to talk about it and plays right into trumps plans to keep Sanders and Clinton voters at each other’s throats and ignoring the god awful poo poo Trump, Devos, Sessions and their ilk are doing. Focus on the asshats who have their knives out looking to cut more out of our slice of the meager pie we have left for the bloated masses at the top

Edit: Want to be productive? Have you written your rep today? Have you helped the VA gubenotorial race phone-banking? Have you donated to my campaign? don’t do that one :haw:

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 4, 2017

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

joepinetree posted:

I like that your takeaway of me fundraising for Ossoff is that I am saying my way or the highway.

I was addressing your entire conversation bucko.

The whole part about how the party must be pushed to the left in the face of the most progressive platform yet.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm talking nowish. primary voters skew older and again the devil you know.

The primary was when it mattered and it doesn't matter now except he doesn't use his voice as a senator to uplift us at all.

Edit: he hasn't even so much as shown up for a march as we continue to be shot by the police extrajudicially

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spiffster posted:

At this point it does no one any loving good to talk about it and plays right into trumps plans to keep Sanders and Clinton voters at each other’s throats and ignoring the god awful poo poo Trump, Devos, Sessions and their ilk are doing. Focus on the asshats who have their knives out looking to cut more out of our slice of the meager pie we have left for the bloated masses at the top

we can multitask.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

we can multitask.

[citation needed]

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Ivanka is apparently seen as the "perfect woman" in Japan, and it has led to a boom in sales for her brand.

quote:

Likewise, Japanese companies that import her clothing label say they’ve had a surge in sales.

“Inquiries and orders for the brand increased dramatically from January, and during the busiest period, more than 10 customers contacted us each day because they heard about Ivanka,” said Tamana Kawanishi, manager of Chez Ibiza, a clothing shop in Tokyo. “We received zero inquires before the election.”

An online store, Waja, was selling about six Ivanka Trump brand items of clothing a month before her father was elected president. This year, it has averaged about 600 a month.

“I think people who saw the news about Ivanka’s visit to Japan are checking our website and buying,” said Yukie Suzuki, a Waja spokeswoman.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.efe056a0f232

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

:byewhore:

Edit. May your journey be filled with jetlag, uncomfortable meetings with asian men, and the unease of knowing that Robert Mueller is giving your financial records a proctal exam.

Withnail fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 4, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Ivanka is apparently seen as the "perfect woman" in Japan, and it has led to a boom in sales for her brand.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.efe056a0f232

Her stuff isn't so high end that 600 is even remotely a big number.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Is he going to sundown extra hard with the time difference keeping him up for a while

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Lol that people think there are no Russians here, when we have dozens of supposed leftists making GBS threads all over the democrats in the DNC hatethreads while actual fascists are in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Fluffdaddy posted:

Someone asked earlier how Bernie keeps throwing POC under the bus:

https://twitter.com/_celia_marie_/status/925387555956314112

Yea we must fight for the rights of the underprivileged but also more importantly "ordinary Americans" too. This is dog whistling bullshit. He has consistently ignored us and it's why he lost the primary in the first place.

Because jobs and the economy are always the highest reason for people to get out and vote. Everything else are just wedge issues meant to stir the disaffected.

"he ignored us!" they cried as he spoke directly to them about their issues.

• Locked thread