Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

what is it about the human brain that causes the default impulse toward other animals to be FEED, GROOM as opposed to EAT or FLEE

i think that usually applies only to animals that display certain traits that are also considered attractive in humans: big eyes, soft hair, playful nature

imo it's some kind of short circuit in the "protect your babies" part of the brain. further evidence is how people intensely love their own babies but are revolted by everyone else's (resource competition). a puppy doesn't compete with your child for resources so it just triggers the "love this little thing that's soft and makes cute noises" neurons exclusively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i think that usually applies only to animals that display certain traits that are also considered attractive in humans: big eyes, soft hair, playful nature

imo it's some kind of short circuit in the "protect your babies" part of the brain. further evidence is how people intensely love their own babies but are revolted by everyone else's (resource competition). a puppy doesn't compete with your child for resources so it just triggers the "love this little thing that's soft and makes cute noises" neurons exclusively

it's sapience

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm j/s it would make a lot more sense in a way if people had to consciously restrain themselves from wanting to grab small passing animals and just start munching on them, seeing as meat is an essential part of our diet

but even the most twisted hosed up psychopaths don't have any trace of a predatory instinct

it's kind of weird when you think about it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
free will is a real thing

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Also something about the large eyes to small skull ratio that triggers our d'aww instincts. Baby eyeballs are almost the same size as adult eyeballs.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
empathy is not a consequence of sapience, animals demonstrate it all the time.

maybe it's to do with the feast/famine nature of predatory existence. civilized humans don't get capital-H Hungry very often. hunting and killing prey is a risky and energetic activity so why bother when your batteries are fully topped up. i'd imagine some north korean suffering one of their wonderful god-king's endless famines would view a cute baby cow through very different eyes to an average american.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sapozhnik posted:

i'm j/s it would make a lot more sense in a way if people had to consciously restrain themselves from wanting to grab small passing animals and just start munching on them, seeing as meat is an essential part of our diet

but even the most twisted hosed up psychopaths don't have any trace of a predatory instinct

it's kind of weird when you think about it

agriculture is a hell of a drug

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/markpopham/status/807308078114865152

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

empathy is not a consequence of sapience, animals demonstrate it all the time.

maybe it's to do with the feast/famine nature of predatory existence. civilized humans don't get capital-H Hungry very often. hunting and killing prey is a risky and energetic activity so why bother when your batteries are fully topped up. i'd imagine some north korean suffering one of their wonderful god-king's endless famines would view a cute baby cow through very different eyes to an average american.

empathy is 100% a consequence of spaience

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
empathy is related to consequence, which is related to responsibility

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
also lol if you've never been "capital H" hungry

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ever felt the urge to eat a stray cat?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

i'd imagine some north korean suffering one of their wonderful god-king's endless famines would view a cute baby cow through very different eyes to an average american.

apparently in nk it is a big crime to kill a cow for food because a live one produces milk. the only way a north korean might get to eat beef is if the farmers and soldiers collude to claim that it's diseased and must be destroyed, so the cow is shot and then butchered in secrecy

this is a very :3: video related to that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0TYCEXmi90

SmokaDustbowl posted:

empathy is related to consequence

????? this is some sociopath opinion right here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sapozhnik posted:

ever felt the urge to eat a stray cat?

ever given into it?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Empathy doesn't come easily to humans and there is a huge range of skill at it.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

Empathy doesn't come easily to humans and there is a huge range of skill at it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

empathy is developed automatically by children (autistic people, sociopaths, etc. excluded) as they reach a particular age and eliminating it requires extensive training.

or did you think that the army just does all that stuff they do in boot camp for fun

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

empathy is developed automatically by children (autistic people, sociopaths, etc. excluded) as they reach a particular age and eliminating it requires extensive training.

or did you think that the army just does all that stuff they do in boot camp for fun

lmao

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
when you hit your 5th birthday you level up into empathy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

when you hit your 5th birthday you level up into empathy

almost literally yes

quote:

By the age of two years, children normally begin to display the fundamental behaviors of empathy by having an emotional response that corresponds with another person's emotional state.[65] Even earlier, at one year of age, infants have some rudiments of empathy, in the sense that they understand that, just like their own actions, other people's actions have goals.[66][67][68] Sometimes, toddlers will comfort others or show concern for them at as early an age as two. Also during the second year, toddlers will play games of falsehood or "pretend" in an effort to fool others, and this requires that the child know what others believe before he or she can manipulate those beliefs.[69] In order to develop these traits, it is essential to expose your child to face-to-face interactions and opportunities and lead them away from a sedentary lifestyle.

According to researchers at the University of Chicago who used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), children between the ages of 7 and 12 years appear to be naturally inclined to feel empathy for others in pain. Their findings[70] are consistent with previous fMRI studies of pain empathy with adults. The research also found additional aspects of the brain were activated when youngsters saw another person intentionally hurt by another individual, including regions involved in moral reasoning.[71]

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
so where do the parents come in?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
my dad is an mri machine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the parents are the ones who train empathy out of the child (e.g. by promoting racism), or discourage its formation. plenty of stuff can happen to cause emotional damage to a child and skew their natural development (*cough* yosposters) but the default human state, for the majority of people, is empathetic.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

the parents are the ones who train empathy out of the child (e.g. by promoting racism), or discourage its formation. plenty of stuff can happen to cause emotional damage to a child and skew their natural development (*cough* yosposters) but the default human state, for the majority of people, is empathetic.

tell me more about the default human state, sounds real cool

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've noticed you do this "lol, you care, so bored" thing every time someone owns you real good so i'm glad this has been an educational experience :)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

you haven't noticed that literally every wealthy person has 0 empathy

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i've noticed you do this "lol, you care, so bored" thing every time someone owns you real good so i'm glad this has been an educational experience :)

I've noticed that people really really try to own me all the time

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
only graph and smythe can judge me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

you haven't noticed that literally every wealthy person has 0 empathy

well, sure, but all that indicates to me is that having lots of money rots your empathetic abilities. that doesn't change anything about the characteristics with which humans are born.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I've noticed that people really really try to own me all the time

just move to the us slavery still legal there

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

since i'm making GBS threads up the thread with dime store psychology, here are 10 random images from my folder

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN-vMMpja30

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i'm going out to drive my car to pick up some ramen, edamame, and gyoza, at a restaurant. sometimes living in the USA is a blessing.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
gyoza owns

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i'm eating nongshim shin black premium noodle soup

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The only natural state of humanity is poo poo posting on the internet because you're totally bored and alone on a friday night, even though you just moved to a new city, and oh god I'm going to die alone.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

i'm eating nongshim shin black premium noodle soup

shin ramyun is better

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Also I'm eating a chicken curry that I made it took like an hour but it's really good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Salt Fish posted:

The only natural state of humanity is poo poo posting on the internet because you're totally bored and alone on a friday night, even though you just moved to a new city, and oh god I'm going to die alone.

what city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

everyone dies alone

• Locked thread