Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Dick Trauma posted:

This is entirely horseshit.

I've seen enough threads pop up over the years on both the Windows and Windows 10 sub reddits about 100% disk usage that I doubt this statement is entirely false. I blame all default telemetry that runs, I suggest you comb through your services and tasks and disable some of it (do your own research).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Sudden 100% disk usage has been a thing before windows 10, I've had some machines at work since I think windows 8 suddenly spike to 100% for indefinite amounts of time per day until they got reinstalled, as opposed to it being a thing that kinda comes but then goes away next day before windows 8.

Haven't seen this behaviour lately though. I wanna say since the first major win10 upgrade or so, but possibly a bit later.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I've not run into this either, like, disk activity spikes when it does things sure, but 100% for a period of time? nope.

But enough seem to get it that it's definitely a thing, sure enough front page of Windows 10 subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7aijo5/100_disk_usage_windows_10_please_help/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I've had Chrome max out the CPU on Win 10 a lot, but it only maxes a single thread so it'll be pegged at 25% or 12% depending on if my PC has hyperthreading or not.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Im_Special posted:

I've not run into this either, like, disk activity spikes when it does things sure, but 100% for a period of time? nope.

But enough seem to get it that it's definitely a thing, sure enough front page of Windows 10 subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7aijo5/100_disk_usage_windows_10_please_help/

Yeah, that's exactly the thing I saw on some laptops, but like I said, not lately. Then again, we haven't had any brand spanking new laptops at work lately, maybe it's just another case of terrible drivers coupled with microsoft competence at work.

vvvv: in my case it was always program a or windows defender service scanning poo poo program a wants to open, aka useless, it just pointed at disk being ridiculously slow because it showed 100% usage at like 1MB/s on a SSD, but since it was intermittent I could never figure out what the gently caress until it eventually stopped.

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 3, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Someone gives a detailed account of how to turn off seemingly every Windows service before it gets suggested to open task manager and see what's eating up disk usage, so I'm not sure I'd listen to that particular brain trust.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Can confirm my desktop used to get stuck at 100% disk usage on a 7200RPM drive and Windows 8. I still don't know what caused it because my disk died shortly after it started happening which could possibly be related. After that I bought an SSD and haven't even concerned myself with the thought of it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No more free upgrades after December 31st 2017, not even assistive technologies, for realsies this time!!!

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I don't really use windows terribly much, so every time I switch into it my disk gets pegged to 100%, because Windows Update seems to think it's the most important thing in the world and you couldn't possibly want to use your computer while it's updating stuff. It's annoying, but it's not really a mystery. Task manager makes it quite clear that is what's going on.

redeyes posted:

My experience says otherwise. Go ahead and load up 10 on a 5400 spinner and let me know how it works out.

It works just fine, thank you.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zenostein posted:

It works just fine, thank you.

Same, I had to replace my laptop's dying 5400 with a new one, and reinstalling Win7 onto it and then upgrade to Win10 a few months later went fine. Typing from it right now, updated to Fall Creators and still running a treat.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You just described how it sucks and in the next paragraph it works just fine. Cognitive dissonance? I dunno.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Yeah, it's amazing how something pegging your disk makes a computer not work so great. This is, of course, 100% the hardware's fault, and I should just chuck my whole computer into the bin, because windows updating itself makes my computer slow for a period of time.

Gosh, if only Windows Update wasn't constantly updating windows literally every second of the day, my computer would be useable :11tea:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Zenostein posted:

I don't really use windows terribly much, so every time I switch into it my disk gets pegged to 100%, because Windows Update seems to think it's the most important thing in the world and you couldn't possibly want to use your computer while it's updating stuff.

Add to that Chrome and Dropbox and OneDrive and Defender running each their own different updating task at the same time and your poor spinning disk doesn't know how to deal with that.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

rolling back to 7, 10 performs terribly when booting from my cassette drive

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
ROFL look at this pleb, probably uses a ball mouse too, Windows 10 is perfect.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Set the default search engine to be Bing instead of Google.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I've yet to use Win10 on anything other than an SSD but to call it a pig of an OS is highly inaccurate. Though I'm guessing that they designed its disk i/o around the assumption that it'll be installed on an SSD?

With an SSD and 8GB of RAM you can coerce Win10 to run like hot grease on a Core2Duo :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Turned after entering my pw on the login screen it took whole minute for it to reach desktop when usually it's instant, it had black background instead of the picture I use, trying to open any folders gave me error message with "rpc server is unavailable" Trying to restart just put me onto login screen instead and trying to restart or shut down from there gave me "rpc server is unavailable" errors as well. Had to hold down the power button to turn it off. Everything went back to normal after I turned it on again.

What the heck was that about?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I think that's computer code talk for "Refresh Me", I've not used it but supposedly it reinstall the OS while keeping all your files intact assuming you choose the "Keep personal files only" part. But before you nuke everything, at the very least you should try and run "SFC /Scannow" in "Command Prompt (Admin)" which will scan important system files for missing/corruption and attempt to fix them, there is also DISM command to try, basically Windows 10 is dummy proof these days, assuming your problem isn't hardware related.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For those who care: I've now been running the fall creators update for three days with no hard locks.

It worked to reset Windows before the update :3:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ProjektorBoy posted:

With an SSD and 8GB of RAM you can coerce Win10 to run like hot grease on a Core2Duo :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Yup, pretty much anything with 8GB of RAM, a SSD, and a 64 bit dual core CPU is more than sufficient for most "standard office computer" roles.

Some of the early Intel onboard GPUs aren't as well supported under Windows 10 though. I have a few otherwise good machines that are stuck at 1280x1024 because they can only load the generic VGA driver. Those will probably get reverted to Windows 7 and used as spares until they die or 7 goes EoL, whichever comes first.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Those machines could get a cheap video card and then would be usable.

I had one hard lock on this latest fall update. Never had one before. Grr

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Im_Special posted:

I think that's computer code talk for "Refresh Me", I've not used it but supposedly it reinstall the OS while keeping all your files intact assuming you choose the "Keep personal files only" part. But before you nuke everything, at the very least you should try and run "SFC /Scannow" in "Command Prompt (Admin)" which will scan important system files for missing/corruption and attempt to fix them, there is also DISM command to try, basically Windows 10 is dummy proof these days, assuming your problem isn't hardware related.

I've been having the strangest issues for a week now, but it's so tedious to find all the programs again. I've refreshed W10 after every big update, but this one surprisingly didn't seem to break anything so I didn't do it immediately after the update.
Oh well, I'll start looking for all the programs again today and reset the install tomorrow.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wolrah posted:

Yup, pretty much anything with 8GB of RAM, a SSD, and a 64 bit dual core CPU is more than sufficient for most "standard office computer" roles.

Some of the early Intel onboard GPUs aren't as well supported under Windows 10 though. I have a few otherwise good machines that are stuck at 1280x1024 because they can only load the generic VGA driver. Those will probably get reverted to Windows 7 and used as spares until they die or 7 goes EoL, whichever comes first.

You can usually coerce those systems into running correctly by grabbing Windows Vista or Windows 7 drivers for the GPU - I have been able to get Intel integrated graphics as far back as the GMA 900 running by this method on older laptops (Namely the ThinkPad X41).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Anyone tried Win10 on an Athlon x2 ?

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
I have a computer with windows 7 and I still have the Win 7 SP 1 DVD+key. Is this still possible?

OP posted:

I don't want to upgrade. I want to do a clean install!
Cool, you can do that now. You just need your original Windows 7 or 8 product key.
Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to make a bootable USB drive or DVD. Then start the installation as usual.
When the Windows 10 installer asks for your product key, enter your Windows 7 or 8 key. It will recognize the key as valid and begin installing the appropriate edition.

I'm asking this because the OP hasn't been updated since 2016.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

All reports so far are that yes, you can (still) install Windows 10 and enter a Windows 7 key when it prompts, and you will get a fully activated version.
However that supposedly ends for good on new year. (Meaning you can't activate a new upgrade after, but free upgrades made before that will stay activated forever.)

Also someone that isn't me should make a new thread.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Faith For Two posted:

I have a computer with windows 7 and I still have the Win 7 SP 1 DVD+key. Is this still possible?

I'm asking this because the OP hasn't been updated since 2016.

Yes. I just did this this weekend.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol never mind, windows just hard locked again

:suicide:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I also had occasional hard locks on my PC, and could never figure out why. So I replaced the motherboard, CPU and ram and they stopped. I couldn't find any faults with them, but I always suspected the motherboard might be for the scrap heap, so I guess I was possibly right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dumb question, but what's the proper way to do a backup of my computer in Windows 10? I have an external hard drive for saving old files and the like, on my old Windows 7 machine I could just connect my external drive when I felt like doing a backup and run Backup & Restore in the Setting menu. Now in Windows 10 it wants to just automate the process, but I don't usually have my backup drive plugged in which throws the whole thing off. There is a button in one of the Backup options menus to run a backup whenever, but half the time it doesn't recognize my drive and only runs for a few moments. Eventually I will disconnect and reconnect the drive (both physically and in the OS) that Backup Now will work, but in the future what should I be doing when I want to back up my computer such that it works the first time?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Anyone tried Win10 on an Athlon x2 ?

Well I've tried it on a single core Pentium M and it still ran reasonably fine, an Athlon X2 should manage it better than that.

C-Euro posted:

Dumb question, but what's the proper way to do a backup of my computer in Windows 10? I have an external hard drive for saving old files and the like, on my old Windows 7 machine I could just connect my external drive when I felt like doing a backup and run Backup & Restore in the Setting menu. Now in Windows 10 it wants to just automate the process, but I don't usually have my backup drive plugged in which throws the whole thing off. There is a button in one of the Backup options menus to run a backup whenever, but half the time it doesn't recognize my drive and only runs for a few moments. Eventually I will disconnect and reconnect the drive (both physically and in the OS) that Backup Now will work, but in the future what should I be doing when I want to back up my computer such that it works the first time?

You can still use the old Windows 7 style Backup And Restore from the Control Panel if you want, it will work fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is there a way to force Windows to only ever use 100% DPI scaling?

Every time I dock/undock, Windows goes crazy with the scaling, the taskbar and window sizes.
Mostly it settles itself back to 100%, but it's annoying and it takes a couple of minutes to redraw itself.

Sometimes it won't and I have to force it in Settings.

I only use 1080p monitors, and the internal LCD is 1080p as well, so it's seemingly nothing to do with hiDPI screens.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

~Coxy posted:

Is there a way to force Windows to only ever use 100% DPI scaling?

Every time I dock/undock, Windows goes crazy with the scaling, the taskbar and window sizes.
Mostly it settles itself back to 100%, but it's annoying and it takes a couple of minutes to redraw itself.

Sometimes it won't and I have to force it in Settings.

I only use 1080p monitors, and the internal LCD is 1080p as well, so it's seemingly nothing to do with hiDPI screens.

What you need to do is to go to set a custom size, make it like 125% or something, save it, and then change the custom size to 100%. For some reason this will make it remember when a monitor disconnects/laptop lid closes/dock cycles/whatever.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think it's because the default for a 15" 1080p display is 125% (if I recall correctly 13" is 150%)

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
It turns out they never made drivers for my motherboard to support windows 10.

I guess I'm dumb for assuming "system requirements" meant "all you need is a good enough system". That means the minimum requirements are extremely misleading.

system requirements posted:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
RAM: 1GB for 32-bit and 2GB for 64-bit
Hard disk space: 16GB for 32-bit OS or 20GB for 64-bit OS
Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
Display: 800-by-600 resolution

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Faith For Two posted:

I guess I'm dumb for assuming "system requirements" meant "all you need is a good enough system". That means the minimum requirements are extremely misleading.

What do you mean "they never made drivers"? If it's a motherboard that ran Vista or 7, it'll be able to use drivers for those. If you're using something too old to have had that, it probably doesn't meet the NX bit requirement in the CPU.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Faith For Two posted:

I've booted Windows 10 on a motherboard from 2003, so I'm pretty sure you don't need drivers for that. If 10 doesn't work and earlier versions do, then it's probably the NX bit like fishmech said or some other arcane CPU feature missing. What specific CPU/motherboard do you have?

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015

Eletriarnation posted:

I've booted Windows 10 on a motherboard from 2003, so I'm pretty sure you don't need drivers for that. If 10 doesn't work and earlier versions do, then it's probably the NX bit like fishmech said or some other arcane CPU feature missing. What specific CPU/motherboard do you have?

m/b
p8p67 evo

cpu
i7 2600

video card
quadro 4000

edit:
I received errors trying to boot after installing the usb.
"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart it for you."

with error codes such as

0xc000021a
SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
CRITICAL PROCES DIED

The reason I wanted to install windows 10 in the first place is because that computer was plagued with BSOD's happening frequently.

Faith For Two fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Especially with getting repeated BSODs in your previous install, it sounds more likely that your motherboard or something else critical is dying than there being some kind of incompatibility issue. That's a relatively recent processor and motherboard and there's no reason at all that Windows 10 should have problems with them.

I have a P8Z68-V LX which is barely any newer than that and from the same manufacturer with a i5-2500K as my main system and I haven't had any problems.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 6, 2017