Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Psion posted:

Those are all boring, go swimming instead. I'm sure the water's fine and has definitely calmed down after that incident on the beach.

This sounds great to me, let's go swimming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

whitehelm posted:

This sounds great to me, let's go swimming.

Will you show us the way to the next island?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Alice in Wonderland

If there is one thing that we love here in the L.P. subforum it is puns

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Mythology.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Much as I love classical, I vote Alice in Wonderland

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
If it is what I think it is, then the Classics sounds good to me.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone and welcome back to King's Quest VI. The pawn shop was fun to visit. We actually could have gotten something in there, but we'll save that for later instead.

Anyway, on our tour de village, the next step is Ali's Books.

: Hello. I will be right up.

: Now! What can I do for you?

This is Ali, as you probably can guess. He's actually someone we need to talk to in order to progress the plot of the game along. We actually get points for talking to him and everything.

Huh. Weird. The cloaked old man in the corner has a glinting golden eye. Oh well.

: Good day, sir. I'm a stranger in this land. What can you tell me about the Land of the Green Isles?
: That is quite a question, young man. Who are you, and what would you have me tell you?
: My name is Alexander. I know I'm on the Isle of the Crown, but I'd like to know whatever you can tell me about this island, and if there are other islands nearby.
: You are indeed a stranger! Anxious is the man who knows not the customs of the land beneath his feet!
: This island is called the Isle of the Crown because the royal family's castle is here. Besides the castle, we also have this village, and the docks over to the west.

We'll be visiting the docks later in this update.

: There are at least three other islands; the Isle of the Sacred Mountain, the Isle of the Beast, and the Isle of Wonder.
: At least three? Does no one know for certain?
: *laughs* This is no ordinary land, Alexander! The Land of the Green Isles has always been a place of vague boundaries--as if islands come and go.
: Legend speaks of a fourth island, an isle shrouded in mists. I myself have never seen it.
: Then, too, the Land of the Green Isles is said to exist on the boundaries of this world and the next. Even darker places are reputed to be closer here than anywhere else in the world.
: That's quite a claim!
: *laughs* Claim, yes, but probably just local superstition. We who live here on the Isle of the Crown, at least, sleep well enough at night!
: Those first three islands you mentioned. How might I learn more about them?
: Ideally, a young man seeking such knowledge would travel to their shores and learn about them first-hand. Meeting the leaders of each place would be helpful, naturally.
: Unfortunately, the ferry no longer runs between the islands. There has been much political unrest, and it has been too dangerous to travel for years.
: Perhaps the ferryman can tell you more. He has little enough to do these days.
: And if you haven't been there already, you might seek an audience at the castle.

This last line is a hint to do this, so you don't miss out on the points for doing so.

: Thank you, kindly, merchant, for all your good advice.
: Ah, but advice is free, Alexander. Making use of it costs much more.

If you talk to Ali a few more times, he has some generic dialogue as well.

: How fare you, merchant?
: Quite well, thank you. I just finished a wonderful book on geological rock formations. Fascinating!

: Well, I would be better if I could only finish my manuscript. I am a budding novelist, you know.

: I have been reading too much love poetry lately. It is rather depressing to an old bachelor like me.

: Business could be better. Too many people are losing interest in reading these days. *sigh* It is a sign of the times.

Do you see why I love this game so much? These four alternate lines give him more character than the pie shop owner or the tailor in King's Quest V. That's to say nothing of the shoemaker and his wife. Almost every NPC in the game is like this. They're actual characters with motivations, not just cardboard cutouts with the world's most generic dialogue propping them up.

Do you know what the difference is? Jane Jensen worked with Roberta Williams to write the script and the difference shows. They both have equal billing as the game's writers, actually.

Anyway, back to the game. There's a book on the counter that's kind of important.

counter book

: An antique, leather-bound book is displayed on a little stand on the counter. On the elaborate cover is the title, "Ye Useful Booke of Magick Spells."

We could ask Ali about it. In fact, we'd even get points for doing so. But I dunno... there's something about this old hooded guy in the corner. He stared holes in Alexander the whole time he was talking to Ali. Something tells me that I shouldn't ask about the book yet. It doesn't matter when we ask about the book. It doesn't affect anything, but... give me this for now.

hooded figure

: An old man occasionally steals sidelong glances at Alexander from under a concealing hood.

Let's make friends with him.

old man

: Good day, sir.
: The mysterious old man just ignores Alexander.

There's not as much stuff to look at in here as the pawn shop. Let's start with the book in the middle of the room that stands out.

book in middle of room

: There's a book entitled "The Changing Role of Court Entertainers Through the Ages" on the small table in the reading area. It appears that some regular customer likes that book.

And starting under the window and going to the right across the room...

shelves & shelves

: A collection of children's books fill those shelves.
: Alexander is a little old for those children's books.

: These shelves hold a selection of cook books.
: Alexander isn't interested in the cook books on that shelf. He's had an aversion to cooking ever since he experimented with a certain cookie recipe involving cat hair and fish oil.

: Assorted travelogs and biographies are arranged on these shelves.
: Right now, Alexander is too involved with the journey he's on to take time to read about the journeys of others.

: These shelves hold a collection of oddly-titled guidebooks. Alexander notices such books as "How to Become King with Little or No Rupies Down," "Finding the Right Girl with the Right Dowry," and "Why Good Princesses Like Bad Wizards."
: Alexander is not interested in those self-help books.

: Volumes of poetry are on display on this bookshelf.

Well, I like poetry. Let's take a closer look.

rightmost bookshelf

: Thinking of Cassima, Alexander decides to leaf through one of the volumes of love poetry. He reads:

: Thy hair, thy lips, thy beauteous face,
and all thy studied female grace,
have won for thee anon a place,
within this broken breast.

: Not bad. And another...

: Upon the shore the lilies bend,
untouched by worldly care.
Where shadow they her earthly bed,
Oh, that she were not there!

: Yikes! And another...

: What was it when I looked at you?
What pow'r has chained me through and through?
And binds my heart with links so tight,
I cannot live without the sight of you?

What nameless thing has captured me?
And made me powerless to flee?
What thing is it without a name,
that brings my mind e're back the same
to thee?

The name of 'love' cannot apply.
It's commonness does not descry,
the haunted, hunted, painful cry
that my heart makes for you.

That ere my soul eternal makes for you.

: Hmmm. A little close to home, that one.
: Alexander returns the love poem book to the shelf.

Oh dear. Well maybe Ali will know what to do with it.

fallen page

: Alexander picks up the fallen page. It's the love poem he particularly liked. It must have fellen out of the poetry book.
: I see that old volume has lost another page. You may keep it if you like, sir. I have glued the stubborn thing back in place two times already!
: I do rather like it. Thank you, merchant.

: Alexander has a love poem from a book in the book shop.
: Alexander reads the love poem... (The whole long thing is read again and I'm not recopying that. If you forgot what it was, just go re-read Monika's last poem above.
: The poem's written words speak plainly enough.

Finally, there's one more thing to look at in here.

stool by door

: There's a small table near the door that bears a sign. The sign has undergone a number of changes. It once read "10 pence," but that was crossed out and replaced with "5 pence," then "1 pence," then "free." The sign currently reads "Take one, PLEASE."
: Only one book remains on the table. It looks like the book shop owner really wants to get rid of that book!

Free is free. YOINK!

free book

: Alexander picks up the book from the small table.
: Oh, yes! Please, take that book! You have my most humble thanks for doing so, good sir!
: It's so boring that nobody wants it!
: Really? Thanks!

: Alexander is carrying a book from the bargain table in the book shop.
: That object has nothing to say.
: Alexander opens the bargain book and reads a paragraph at random.

: Two dulcimas raised to the degree of 40 halfdulcimas, divided into equal parts by the third of a cackle of grouse geese, put over the result of ten finemackels (albeit small finemackels), stretched over the total of....
: *big yawn*
: Phew! What an incredibly boring book! No wonder the book shop owner wanted to get rid of it so badly.

Right. That's enough of that. Let's get the heck out of here.

Still at it lamp dude? Keep on keeping on, I guess.

through the arch

King's Quest VI - Beauty, the Young Servant Girl

girl

: There's a young girl in the yard. The girl is dressed in a long, plain, orange robe with a thick headdress. From the appearance of her clothes and from a skittish, fearful look about her, Alexander gets the strong impression that she is a servant--or even worse, a slave.

We can't do anything here for now. If we continue walking, the door opens and out pops...

: You lazy thing! Get back to work and stay away from those roses! I've told you a million times, those flowers are too sweet for the likes of you! You've still got to do the breakfast dishes, make lunch, and clean the stables yet this morning! And get your veil back on! No one wants to look at your face!
: Yes, Stepmother.

And that's the end of that. Let's just continue on.

around the corner

King's Quest VI - Boy in the Water

Hey, that boy has shining golden eyes too! What a totally believable coincidence. For real, though. This is the last time I'm going to go out of my way to point out things with golden shining eyes. From here on out, you're gonna have to keep an eye out for it yourselves.

: Hey! Stranger! Come join me! The water is wonderful, and I can show you the way to the next island!

: A young boy is happily swimming in the sea off the docks.

: Good day. I'm Alexander. What are you doing in the sea?
: What does it look like I'm doing? I'm swimming! *ahem* I mean...come join me! The water's wonderful! I can show you the way to the next island!

ocean

: The waters in the cove appear calm, but there's a dimpling patter to the surface which indicates an undertow.

: What are you waiting for? I said I'd show how to get to the next island, didn't I? Come join me if you're brave enough!

Seems legit. gently caress it, let's trust this kid with the whimsical theme music.

: Considering the poor condition of the shore, it looks like the easiest way to get into the water is to just jump off the pier.

: Glad you could join me. Ha ha ha.
: The powerful currents grab Alexander. Struggle as he might, he feels himself being pulled out to sea.

: Hahahaha. Not a very good swimmer, are you?
: *glub* Help me!
: Sorry! I think not! *cackle*

: As his head submerges for the third time, Alexander finds himself pondering the wisdom of going out on a limb for a stranger.

I'm cutting the update here early. A game I've been waiting months for came out today, and I'd kinda like to get some time in to play it before the night is over.

NEXT TIME: We finish up our business on the Isle of the Crown

List of Points

+1 - Talked to Ali
+1 - Read love poetry
+1 - Page fell out
+1 - Took free book

Total

12/231

Register of Deaths

Gold eyes, take warning 1

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 6, 2017

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Don't know if you are still taking requests, and I have no idea what is coming from this, but let's go with Classical Myths

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Isn't... the Isle of the Crown the fourth isle? Or do they all just think it's the mainland?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I see Monika's found her calling.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Snorb posted:

I see Monika's found her calling.

Oh God, what if she takes over this game too?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Heh, look who won the vote on what to do next :smugdog:

Psion posted:

Those are all boring, go swimming instead. I'm sure the water's fine and has definitely calmed down after that incident on the beach.

I certainly haven't played this game enough to memorize it, no

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Psion posted:

Heh, look who won the vote on what to do next :smugdog:

Monika?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Glazius posted:

Isn't... the Isle of the Crown the fourth isle? Or do they all just think it's the mainland?

He had just listed three other islands and was saying that there's a legendary fourth other island, not that there are only three islands in the chain despite listing four total.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DoubleNegative posted:

: Considering the poor condition of the shore, it looks like the easiest wa

: As his head submerges for the third time, Alexander finds himself pondering the wisdo

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

The avatar used for the poem readouts is a character from Doki Doki Literature Club.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
This made me sigh a bit at the writing, though. It’s still KQ.

Glowing eyes and future game events spoiler: Abdul might be a good villain but Shamir is just BS. He’s so powerful there’s no reason Abdul wouldn’t have won instantly. Why didn’t he just give Shamir the nod to leave the room, turn into Cassima, and break Alexander’s heart? Instead of asking Alexander to jump in, why not just teleport behind him and push him in (yes he can touch, he eats a mint while transformed). Why not pretend to be a Sense Gnome while having all five senses? If he can turn into non humans (winged girl) why not the Minotaur and crush Alex right there?

DarkWorld Dreaming
Jan 1, 2013

hyphz posted:

This made me sigh a bit at the writing, though. It’s still KQ.

Glowing eyes and future game events spoiler: Abdul might be a good villain but Shamir is just BS. He’s so powerful there’s no reason Abdul wouldn’t have won instantly. Why didn’t he just give Shamir the nod to leave the room, turn into Cassima, and break Alexander’s heart? Instead of asking Alexander to jump in, why not just teleport behind him and push him in (yes he can touch, he eats a mint while transformed). Why not pretend to be a Sense Gnome while having all five senses? If he can turn into non humans (winged girl) why not the Minotaur and crush Alex right there?

For whatever reason, Shamir can't bring himself to directly hurt Alexander. Think of it like a D&D long-term control charm spell, with violence being one of those 'not unless everything is at stake' taboos. He's not explicitly forbidden from doing it (because he will move to a direct approach when his master's life is in danger) so much as very much not liking violence.

As for transforming into Cassima, I like Abdul's plan to do so more than yours. Why exactly would Cassima, after being confined to the castle, suddenly show up in town just to dump Alexander and move on? If Shamir was more silver-tongued, he could probably spin a decent lie to make it stick but as we've seen now and later in the game... he's not that.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

DarkWorld Dreaming posted:

For whatever reason, Shamir can't bring himself to directly hurt Alexander. Think of it like a D&D long-term control charm spell, with violence being one of those 'not unless everything is at stake' taboos. He's not explicitly forbidden from doing it (because he will move to a direct approach when his master's life is in danger) so much as very much not liking violence.

As for transforming into Cassima, I like Abdul's plan to do so more than yours. Why exactly would Cassima, after being confined to the castle, suddenly show up in town just to dump Alexander and move on? If Shamir was more silver-tongued, he could probably spin a decent lie to make it stick but as we've seen now and later in the game... he's not that.

She wouldn't show up in town. Alexander would go to the palace asking after her, Abdul would say "sure, I'll send my servant to ask her to come down", Shamir walks off and transforms, then returns as Cassima telling Alexander how happy she is with Abdul. Problem solved.

And even if he can't hurt Alexander directly, there's just too many ways someone who can just shapeshift could screw up his plans. He could turn into Alexander and go slap Hakim or rob his shop so that he wouldn't co-operate, or kite the Minotaur; he could call out to the Sense Gnomes, he could turn into a chess piece and screw up Alexander aiding the Queens, there's so many options it's just over the top. I mean, I agree, it is sort of implied that for all his magic he's not actually that smart, but still.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Turning him into a cat wouldn't be using violence, just saying. :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
That’s a lot of posts with the CIA highlighter.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Bregor posted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

So here’s some non-spoiler discussion: If they don’t know how many islands exist, are they really part of the kingdom? I mean, technically it’s within our vaguely defined boundaries, but you don’t really rule it.

Also, if we ever get a viable weapon, we need to stab that cloaked dude in the bookstore. No honest person does the Ringwraith look.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I believe the idea is that the entire island chain is supposed to be magic, along with what counts as its borders and lands.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
*Major Spoilers* One thing about Shamir Shamazzle is he's not a fan of murder. He tries several times to lead Alexander into danger (the sea, the archer, the nightshade, the catacombs), but he never attempts to kill Alexander directly. It's not a "genies aren't allowed to kill" thing either, because dazzle ball is quite lethal. You can hear the exasperation in is voice when Alhazred orders him to kill you at endgame... Getting blood on his hands just isn't something he's eager to do. Yes, Shamir could call out to the sense gnomes or something similar, but then he wouldn't be a bystander anymore; he would be a culprit. Shamir doesn't seem comfortable being a culprit.

There's also this to be said: Shamir doesn't like Alhazred. That's obvious from his jubilation after Jollo switches the lamps. From the Alhazred-Shamir cutscenes, it seems likely Alhazred gives him a pretty open-ended mission. "Go to the other islands and tell them to be on the lookout for a foreign assassin" seems to be a part of it, as well as something like, "Do what you can to stop the impudent whelp from ruining my plans," a directive flexible enough to give Shamir wide latitude over how to approach it. It could be Shamir is taking maximum advantage of the discretion he has, deliberately choosing not to pursue Alexander's demise with too much gusto, either out of sympathy for Alexander or, more likely, distaste for Alhazred.

It's also possible he doesn't feel comfortable staging a more blatant intervention. The vizier's subterfuge runs deep. Given Shamir's theft of the treasures, maybe he thinks it's wiser to be canny... Maybe he's fearful of reminding people there's a shady genie running around who can teleport into secure vaults and steal valuable things, and therefore he's trying to keep his activities on the down-low. Slapping shopkeeps, posing as chesspieces, and other forms of direct intervention might bring unfavorable attention to Alhazred's corruption.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Bregor posted:

Bloops Crusts posted:

hold my beer

:v:

But, going back to this for a minute:

MagusofStars posted:

If they don’t know how many islands exist, are they really part of the kingdom? I mean, technically it’s within our vaguely defined boundaries, but you don’t really rule it.

Magic is the easy answer, but i get the feeling it's that and also meant to suggest the Green Isles have been fragmented for quite some time. No operating ferry, their princess abducted until recently, evil scheming, lots of bad things going on. It'll probably make more sense after a couple updates, too.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bloops Crusts posted:

*Major Spoilers* One thing about Shamir Shamazzle is he's not a fan of murder. He tries several times to lead Alexander into danger (the sea, the archer, the nightshade, the catacombs), but he never attempts to kill Alexander directly. It's not a "genies aren't allowed to kill" thing either, because dazzle ball is quite lethal. You can hear the exasperation in is voice when Alhazred orders him to kill you at endgame... Getting blood on his hands just isn't something he's eager to do.

I imagine Shamir figuring that if Alexander's that dumb enough to listen to him and eat "magic flying nightshade berries" or what have you, he's not gonna feel guilty for giving the guy his Darwin Award. :v:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

can you cunts save this poo poo until we reach the relevant parts of the game holy poo poo

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

So here’s some non-spoiler discussion: If they don’t know how many islands exist, are they really part of the kingdom? I mean, technically it’s within our vaguely defined boundaries, but you don’t really rule it.

Maybe they just arbitrarily expand their borders to include whatever landmass is close. The isle of mists the guy was confused about was a recent acquisition and no ones actually told the inhabitants of it that they are now part of the Kingdom of the Green Isles yet. Can't rightly say that the island is part of the kingdom until the annexation is complete and all that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

where the red fern gropes posted:

can you cunts save this poo poo until we reach the relevant parts of the game holy poo poo

While turning the page into a heavily redacted federal document is kind of annoying, not only is this game from 1988, but the OP doesn't have any spoiler rules for the thread--they're not breaking any rules. There's nothing wrong with asking people to settle down, but don't be an rear end in a top hat about it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Blind Sally posted:

While turning the page into a heavily redacted federal document is kind of annoying, not only is this game from 1988, but the OP doesn't have any spoiler rules for the thread--they're not breaking any rules. There's nothing wrong with asking people to settle down, but don't be an rear end in a top hat about it.

It is a fair point though. And the discussion will be better once more people can participate!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

While turning the page into a heavily redacted federal document is kind of annoying, not only is this game from 1988

:goonsay:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
haha, poo poo, is that not King's Quest IV I'm looking at?

hyphz posted:

It is a fair point though. And the discussion will be better once more people can participate!

Oh, I agree! But it's a point that can be made without calling people "cunts".

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
You'd be looking at VI, it can be forgiven at blind people :haw: How late-game specifically are those CIA documents so I can safely hover over?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
They're close to endgame.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Blind Sally posted:

Oh, I agree! But it's a point that can be made without calling people "cunts".

Maybe that poster is Australian.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

The Thread While I Wasn't Looking posted:

:byodood:

:staredog:

Is... is everything alright in here?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

:staredog:

Is... is everything alright in here?

Goons getting anal retentive about spoilers. Nothing to see here, folks.

Also since this thread got to 6 I decided to start playing it myself since I've never beaten it (or gotten more than a 1/3rd through it, really) in my previous attempts, and I got to say, I can see why I have good memories of it despite always getting stuck on some or other puzzle. The art is so gorgeous despite the low resolution and the narrator does such a fantastic job.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Most of it doesn't even need to be spoilered. The evil vizier has a genie, and this genie has already shown up a few times being a real rear end in a top hat, and now he's tried to get Alex to off himself by jumping into the water. He didn't just push Alex off the bridge (or hit him with Shazam Magic or whatever), which could mean one of a few things: either he doesn't really want to kill Alex or he can't directly kill Alex. He's not even openly hostile, as evidenced by him just chilling out while you chat with Ali. It's a complex, interesting relationship and I don't know, maybe we'll see him again and figure out what his deal is eventually!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Yea, ok. My point was: as we go through the game, if you take a shot every time a shapeshifting/illusioncasting, teleporting dude could have ruined everything for Alex (even without killing him) but doesn’t, you’ll be blind drunk by the end. It’s a fairly common screw up when writing the trickster archetype, but a big hole in the game’s writing imho.

Also my autocorrect changed that to “take a poo poo” which I don’t suggest trying.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

This was the first voice-acted game I ever played, and Hakim's "Good day" is still burned into my mind. I can't read those words without hearing his voice :shobon:

• Locked thread