Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
The most important thing in deciding which VR headset is best in the immediate future is which will be most likely to have:

a) Goat Simulator VR
b) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure VR

I request all posters in this thread look into this serious topic and then give advice based solely on its results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Skyrim VR was pre-emptively sent to the rear end pile because no one seriously believed Bethesda could pull off a rock solid 60+ fps, come up with a workable control scheme, or any of the other tasks involved in the conversion. Seeing prolonged, wide-ranging demos has proven that somehow they did. The game could still be buggy as hell in all the other ways the original was buggy as hell but at least the studio appears to have put its money where its mouth is on the most critical technical challenge.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 3, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

Skyrim VR was pre-emptively sent to the rear end pile because no one seriously believed Bethesda could pull off a rock solid 60+ fps, come up with a workable control scheme, or any of the other tasks involved in the conversion. Seeing prolonged, wide-ranging demos has proven that somehow they did. The game could still be a buggy as hell in all the other ways the original was buggy as hell but at the studio appears to have put its money where its mouth is on the most critical technical challenge.

I quite like the tunnel-vision effect used when moving, I'm curious to see if that actually helps with motion sickness.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ymmv but they said the tunnel vision is totally customizable and can be turned off. I'll try it out but probably just get rid of it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey, a stealth Windows Update appears to have fixed my Dell headset.

I finally see why people are saying this screen doesn't look any better than the Rift. It's because it looks much worse. Yes, the subpixel resolution is double, but there is no filtering whatsoever against screen door effect so that is pretty prominent. But that's not the worst part. The lenses are bad, like BAD BAD. Text outside the center 30% of each eye starts to get really pronounced chromatic aberration, and anything in the last third of the lens is basically a huge illegible smear. There's no way to adjust the lens distance from your face like the Rift "progressive lenses", or any mechanical adjustments for focus or IPD. If I try to watch a movie I basically have to shrink the image way down to the center of my vision because everything on either side is a blur.

So... the Dell version of this headset, and probably all the other cheap ones, are ruined by cheesy optics. The Samsung one still has a chance at being decent.

I will say that the inside-out tracking of the headset itself, seems to be some kind of magic. Like, it works every bit as accurately as my Rift, and I didn't have to do any setup whatsoever.

Oh yeah, and since there's no Steam support yet, you're stuck to a library of like, Photo, Movies, Edge, Microsoft Store, and can go buy a couple games like Superhot that are of questionable utility due to the dicey hand controllers.

There's no reason at all to get these over a Rift or Vive... maybe at $200 they would be decent competition to the Oculus Go or something, but at $400 plus it's a blunder.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zero VGS posted:

Oh yeah, and since there's no Steam support yet, you're stuck to a library of like, Photo, Movies, Edge, Microsoft Store, and can go buy a couple games like Superhot that are of questionable utility due to the dicey hand controllers.

There's no reason at all to get these over a Rift or Vive... maybe at $200 they would be decent competition to the Oculus Go or something, but at $400 plus it's a blunder.

Hey, at least you get to play that sweet sweet halo VR experience! I'm jealous!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I can't fit the Oculus Rift on my head with my glasses. I have to hope I still have some contact lenses that I tried a bit ago and are still okay.

I should have pondered this because I knew I had a huge head, but I had tried it at a booth at work once a year ago and didn't have a problem. I don't really understand what happened.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Did you pull the straps?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I can't fit the Oculus Rift on my head with my glasses. I have to hope I still have some contact lenses that I tried a bit ago and are still okay.

I should have pondered this because I knew I had a huge head, but I had tried it at a booth at work once a year ago and didn't have a problem. I don't really understand what happened.

Are you familiar with the story of joseph merrick?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Theres several options if your glasses can't fit inside that you might want to look at.

-Order a thin cheap pair of glasses from zenni or somewhere like these

-3d print (or order printed) these which are designed to pop in the lenses from these 10 dollar frames

-Order one of the commercial prescription inserts like these or these

The last options are the most expensive, but best quality. I don't know which of the inserts are better though, theres a few people in here that have ordered them who might know more than me. Either way seriously consider the last option, or if you have access to a 3d printer the second option because not having to fiddle around with glasses in VR is worth every penny. The other thing to consider is if your eyesight is only slightly bad, you may be able to bring things in focus without glasses as the rift lenses are slightly progressive, ie if you slide it up and down it changes the focus. My vision problems are very minor so I can actually get it in focus without my glasses at all, though I realize this might be the exception.

EDIT: Oh, and make sure you're wearing the headset correctly. As dumb as it sounds sometimes people wear the back part too high, or have it dialed in too tightly.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 3, 2017

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SwissCM posted:

There's a lot of garbage on Steam and they could do a better job at filtering it out, but on the other hand one of my favourite VR games is rough enough that it's probably not Oculus Store material. Giving indie/solo developers room to experiment holds merit when applying a technology still in it's infancy.

(itch.io handles this niche better than Steam does, though)

The Oculus store Gallery section is specifically for games like that.

I mean, check out these gems:
Jaywalker
Tractorball
ProjectM: Daydream
Fly Destroyer
The Speedy Courier

The Gallery section is all your typical SteamVR indie stuff all thrown into one unsorted, unfiltered category, with a bunch of warnings when you first go into it.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Hirethor posted:

The most important thing in deciding which VR headset is best in the immediate future is which will be most likely to have:

a) Goat Simulator VR
b) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure VR

I request all posters in this thread look into this serious topic and then give advice based solely on its results.

a) Probably SteamVR (whichever headset)
b) Almost certainly PSVR

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's to the detriment of developers, because it's dividing an already tiny market.

Except according to a VR roundtable episode I listened to back around July, devs are making more sales on the Oculus store than on the SteamVR store. Personally I believe it since the Steam store is filled with so much shovelware garbage that drown out the quality titles. Steamspy figures look abysmal as well.

I must stress that I own a Vive and that there indeed are plenty of "rough around the edges" SteamVR games that are fantastic (Like BAM, Race the Sun, Tractorball, BLARP, etc; I own like 400 VR games on just Steam.), but there's a ton more complete "Russian Underground" and "Killer Klownz" tier garbage that still hasn't been removed from the Steam store.

On top of it Valve still doesn't have ASW and I feel like they're just not really committed to VR. They're very laissez faire about the whole thing. I don't even believe those 3 VR games will come out especially since Gabe used to babble about Half Life 3 being around the corner for years and now he never talks about it.

Overall I am thankful Oculus is around, and I do enjoy buying their quality titles and playing them on my Vive using Revive.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 3, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Tom Guycot posted:

Theres several options if your glasses can't fit inside that you might want to look at.

EDIT: Oh, and make sure you're wearing the headset correctly. As dumb as it sounds sometimes people wear the back part too high, or have it dialed in too tightly.
It looks like I'm just returning it. The whole thing was supposed to be something my wife and I could mess around with together in the living room or whatever for her birthday. She said that if only she could use it then she'd rather just have jewelry or something.

The fit was simply impossible. The width of both my new frames--which are generally taller than my prior ones--and my slimmer, older frames just don't fit inside the viewing dimensions. With my smaller ones, I can get them to kind of go in crooked, which you can imagine is chaos for vision. I managed to get the headset on with those frames regardless, but it was pressing the frames into the bridge of my nose. The straps were pulled out as far as they would go. In fact, I started trying to push the side straps through their slots and found it didn't do anything to further increase the give.

I did get the whole thing online without my glasses and it was all kinds of incredible, but the robot demo with the disks was a blurry fuzz. I can't read the text of this post in front of me on my monitor without glasses.

What is eating at me is that something like a year ago, they had set up something outside where they were showing off VR headsets and such since our company is involved with all that. Whatever they had there fit on me fine. I thought it was an Oculus Rift prototype, so either it was something else completely, or they shrunk things down from the prototype. What I am reading is that even the Vive is too narrow for my frame width. Oddly enough, my pupil distance is within bounds.

To give more perspective, my head is something like 24+ inches around. I'm all of 5' 10" tall, so if I want a shirt with a collar that fits me, I have to shop on sites that let me pick a 17-18" collar with a 32" sleeve, and use a slim fit even though I've got my middle-aged gut just so the shirt doesn't just poof around me. I then order a bunch and rely on manufacturing variances to get a collar that won't choke me. I generally simply can't use the top button. Most caps don't fit on me. They did a teambuilding event for us at work at a racetrack a few years back and even their largest helmet wouldn't fit on me. So I was originally worried about this, but I thought I was in the clear from whatever I got to try a year ago.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It looks like I'm just returning it. The whole thing was supposed to be something my wife and I could mess around with together in the living room or whatever for her birthday. She said that if only she could use it then she'd rather just have jewelry or something.

The fit was simply impossible. The width of both my new frames--which are generally taller than my prior ones--and my slimmer, older frames just don't fit inside the viewing dimensions. With my smaller ones, I can get them to kind of go in crooked, which you can imagine is chaos for vision. I managed to get the headset on with those frames regardless, but it was pressing the frames into the bridge of my nose. The straps were pulled out as far as they would go. In fact, I started trying to push the side straps through their slots and found it didn't do anything to further increase the give.

I did get the whole thing online without my glasses and it was all kinds of incredible, but the robot demo with the disks was a blurry fuzz. I can't read the text of this post in front of me on my monitor without glasses.

What is eating at me is that something like a year ago, they had set up something outside where they were showing off VR headsets and such since our company is involved with all that. Whatever they had there fit on me fine. I thought it was an Oculus Rift prototype, so either it was something else completely, or they shrunk things down from the prototype. What I am reading is that even the Vive is too narrow for my frame width. Oddly enough, my pupil distance is within bounds.

To give more perspective, my head is something like 24+ inches around. I'm all of 5' 10" tall, so if I want a shirt with a collar that fits me, I have to shop on sites that let me pick a 17-18" collar with a 32" sleeve, and use a slim fit even though I've got my middle-aged gut just so the shirt doesn't just poof around me. I then order a bunch and rely on manufacturing variances to get a collar that won't choke me. I generally simply can't use the top button. Most caps don't fit on me. They did a teambuilding event for us at work at a racetrack a few years back and even their largest helmet wouldn't fit on me. So I was originally worried about this, but I thought I was in the clear from whatever I got to try a year ago.

Well, thats a shame its not going to work for you, but some of those options like the inserts just pop in and out so you don't have to fuss around with glasses at all. Alternately you could try a demo of a Vive, its a little larger and might fit your glasses better?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
If it makes any difference, I've heard from a few people that their glasses fit better inside the Vive than the Rift, which led them to get a Vive instead. This was before the Rift dropped their price though - it would probably be more economical to go with one of those third-party retrofit glasses solutions listed above nowadays.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

-Order a thin cheap pair of glasses from zenni or somewhere like these

Adding on to this. I've been buying my normal glasses through Zenni and highly recommend them all around. Recently I got these sunglasses, and when they arrived, I found that the prescription part is a detachable inner lens. Was pretty easy to pop it out, and just let it rest in my vive behind the face cushion. It works fantastically for me! I'm just horribly nearsighted, but this was a huge usability upgrade for me.Good sunglasses too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Try a PSVR out. It has a ton of room for glasses and a vey adjustable headband. I know this is the PC VR thread and the PSVR doesn't get much talk, but it actually is really good.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

JohnnySmitch posted:

If it makes any difference, I've heard from a few people that their glasses fit better inside the Vive than the Rift, which led them to get a Vive instead. This was before the Rift dropped their price though - it would probably be more economical to go with one of those third-party retrofit glasses solutions listed above nowadays.

someone in this thread was saying that the current vive bundle is cheaper if you were planning on buying fallout 4 anyway. (and didn't want the free oculus games, I guess)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I have no idea where you can get a Vive for $400

Edit: ok it's this https://www.vive.com/us/nvidia-gtx-1070-vive-bundle/

So you get a ~$400 video card in the bundle which you can sell if you don't need it

Lemming fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 3, 2017

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

I have no idea where you can get a Vive for $400

e:f;b

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can anyone recommend stifled or not? Sounds pretty good to me.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I got Wilson's Heart for $10 when it was on sale and I'm a couple hours in. There are some good set pieces, and I like the overall atmosphere, but I wish they had put more effort in to making it an actual game. You don't really get to make any decisions, you just grab whatever object in front of you happens to be glowing. The special abilities all seem to get used once right when you acquire it and then never again. You can only use your objects exactly when it prompts you. I feel like it could have been a lot better if there were actual puzzles you had to solve instead of just "grab the glowing object" on repeat. Or if there was more than 1 way to accomplish things.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I got Wilson's Heart for $10 when it was on sale and I'm a couple hours in. There are some good set pieces, and I like the overall atmosphere, but I wish they had put more effort in to making it an actual game. You don't really get to make any decisions, you just grab whatever object in front of you happens to be glowing. The special abilities all seem to get used once right when you acquire it and then never again. You can only use your objects exactly when it prompts you. I feel like it could have been a lot better if there were actual puzzles you had to solve instead of just "grab the glowing object" on repeat. Or if there was more than 1 way to accomplish things.

Yeah, if it would have been more 90's lucas artsy adventure game it would have been better. Still, I think as an 'interactive story' its really good. Honestly if you ask "what would a movie be like in VR?" I think wilson's heart is a great example of that. The set pieces are great (theres at least one towards the end thats still maybe the coolest idea i've seen in a VR game that I haven't seen anywhere else), the voice acting is good, the story is a fun universal monster movie pastiche, and the visuals are stylish and pretty.

A cool pretty story to play through, though a cakewalk as far as challenge.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Finally got around to playing through the first world in Serious Sam: The Final Hope.

Really fun game! Yes, it’s a wave shooter, but it’s also a really well polished wave shooter with tons of action and adrenaline. I already wanna go back and play through the first world again just to see if I can do better and to unlock more guns and stuff.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My head is the exact same size (just measured, 24 1/4") and I was miserable. Then I took an old pair of glasses, removed the arms and made spacers to hold them in place and all was right in the world. I plan on getting one of the solutions Tom Guycot linked. It's workable if it's something you want to explore.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I made a soundboxing track to the entirety of rez area x just now. its not my best song ever since its so long but its pretty fun and a good workout

https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/e898b82d-c17e-11e7-bf94-0a580a201c51

edit: imo this is the most fun song ive made yet https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/52dcb04f-c0f2-11e7-8a84-0a580a201d0e

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 4, 2017

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

How likely is it that the Rift will see a discount on cyber monday?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Since it's already pretty cheap I would be surprised to see a discount, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a "bundle" where it comes with some more games.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Possible, but given that they have nearly halved the price from last cyber Monday, I expect it to be a modest $50 or so

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I don't know about a discount, but I could easily see amazon or someone doing a $100 amazon card or something type deal. Heck at the start of the summer sale amazon already had that offer of 399 rift +100 amazon gift card so its not hard to picture them doing something like that again.

EDIT:

vvvvv Cool, really curious to see some impressions of it.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 6, 2017

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Well, not sure how it happened but I've just preodered the Samsung Odyssey.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Serious Sam VR The Last Hope is really good. It’s like climbing inside one of those old arcade shooters. My trigger fingers are on fire.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It really is the wave shooter of choice. I still haven't done the last planet, I really should change that.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I already placed my order online, but the Microsoft stores have the Odyssey in stock if anyone was thinking about it.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Google Butt posted:

I already placed my order online, but the Microsoft stores have the Odyssey in stock if anyone was thinking about it.

Let me know how many accidental wall-punches it takes to break those controllers.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Thor-Stryker posted:

Let me know how many accidental wall-punches it takes to break those controllers.

I'm buying this for sims so it might be a while, but will do.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Google Butt posted:

Do you happen to know if they are demo'ing in-store? I'd like to try before I buy. Owned a Vive for a few months but sold it off, I kind of want to see if this screen makes it worthwhile.

Also this is not yet compatible with SteamVR correct?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

dy. posted:

Do you happen to know if they are demo'ing in-store? I'd like to try before I buy. Owned a Vive for a few months but sold it off, I kind of want to see if this screen makes it worthwhile.

Also this is not yet compatible with SteamVR correct?

Probably, you can call though. It's compatible, but not available to the public yet. There's a survey your can fill out to apply for the steamvr beta, sounds like they're accepting most people. I submitted mine yesterday, I'll report back on that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Google Butt posted:

How likely is it that the Rift will see a discount on cyber monday?

Amazon on prime day and did 399.99 and gave 100$ gift card