Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Strange Quark posted:

It was originally broadcast in this order for season 1, and then when they aired season 2, they reaired season 1 in chronological order with season 2's eps stuffed in at the appropriate points in time.
Ah. Makes more sense now.

Too cute :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i have made an ill-advised decision and ordered a volume of the infinit force manga adaptation

also the lovecraft manga and the two parasyte spinoffs

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

endless eight rules

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Okay I've always wanted to ask - why the hell was it broadcast in that order, then changed?
Keep in mind, I'm likely never going to watch it.

Squark fully answered this above but I just want to add that Crunchy probably took the easy route of copying the episode order of physical releases. Perhaps in twenty years, with the arrival of full quantum computing combined with a large amount of funding, Crunchyroll scientists will find a way to add options for multiple viewing orders to their website and app.

Until then, I guess we have to rely on passing around a crude list of numbers or linking the to loving extra confusing wiki page to let people know how to watch Melancholy in the correct order.

chumbler posted:

Watching Haruhi season 1 in chronological order is an anime sin. Not even the anime pope can forgive you.

It's true.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

chumbler posted:

Watching Haruhi season 1 in chronological order is an anime sin. Not even the anime pope can forgive you.

the anime pope is evil though, so i think that makes this a virtuous act?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Be a rebel and watch Haruhi in light novel order, where the movie is now in the middle, and you end with Live Alive, Adventures of Mikuru Asahina, and Someday in the Rain

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Aurora posted:

endless eight rules

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

If, hypothetically, one wanted to play the toohoos, what would you say is a good introductory 'hoo?

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Dzhay posted:

If, hypothetically, one wanted to play the toohoos, what would you say is a good introductory 'hoo?

I started with eight personally. It has some of the best music in the series and is fairly forgiving

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Okay I've always wanted to ask - why the hell was it broadcast in that order, then changed?

I guess it has to do with what KyoAni ended up adapting in the first season, which was one full-length story and a bunch of shorter side stories - but chronologically, the longest and most interesting story comes first, putting its climax somewhere around episode 5 or 6. That's lame, so KyoAni aired the longest story (the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya proper) in pieces, interspersed out of order with the shorter stories, which serves to either shed light upon or obfuscate the main plot, depending.

At least, that's my read, the Haruhiologists probably have a more detailed/informed take.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Simulacra posted:

I started with eight personally. It has some of the best music in the series and is fairly forgiving

That's Imperishable Night, for the record. The games aren't consistently referred to be number in internet discourse.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Dzhay posted:

imperishable night and undefined object

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Also nobody was quite able to puzzle out the thematic significance of baseball in Haruhi during the simulwatch so gl if any of you want to try that

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
teleport me back 10 years when I was good at shooters

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I was dope at giga wing and cho ren sha 68k

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

StandardVC10 posted:

I guess it has to do with what KyoAni ended up adapting in the first season, which was one full-length story and a bunch of shorter side stories - but chronologically, the longest and most interesting story comes first, putting its climax somewhere around episode 5 or 6. That's lame, so KyoAni aired the longest story (the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya proper) in pieces, interspersed out of order with the shorter stories, which serves to either shed light upon or obfuscate the main plot, depending.

At least, that's my read, the Haruhiologists probably have a more detailed/informed take.

To be more precise, they had 3 full length stories (Melancholy, Sigh, and Disappearance), and a bunch of side stories, but 1 cour can't cover everything, and just doing Melancholy, and then filling the rest of the season with side stories isn't a great idea either, pacing-wise. So they basically picked and chose the interesting stories from before and after Sigh, that would thematically match up with Melancholy for s1, and scrambled it in a deliberate order to have it pace out important story details, while building up to a proper climax. Which is why s1 alone is best watched in broadcast order.

There is some argument with s2 though, since s1+2 combined in chronological order basically sets up for the movie. s1 basically cut out all the episodes that explicitly lead up the events of the movie, and danced around the events of Sigh, which is what s2 is comprised of. It also regresses Haruhi's character too, since you're jumping backwards to her worst point before her shift, so that can be somewhat awkward if you come in from s1.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

StandardVC10 posted:

Also nobody was quite able to puzzle out the thematic significance of baseball in Haruhi during the simulwatch so gl if any of you want to try that

Baseball is very depressing, I thought everyone understood this

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Allarion posted:

Baseball is very depressing, I thought everyone understood this

Clearly you didn't watch Game 5 this year of the World Series :colbert:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Simulacra posted:

Thanks. Hypothetically.

Clarste posted:

That's Imperishable Night, for the record. The games aren't consistently referred to be number in internet discourse.
Hey, I've actually heard of that one.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

pun pun is good too

everything else is boring as hell

Especially your posts

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i have made an ill-advised decision and ordered a volume of the infinit force manga adaptation

also the lovecraft manga and the two parasyte spinoffs

Yikes

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Just buy HSiFS when it comes out. It's not that hard and the sub weapon system is deece even if there are some obviously superior choices. Also the boss patterns arent my favorite, but its a fine video gam

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i am almost certain the infinit force one will be bad, but i'm judging harshly on the cover/artstyle

the lovecraft one looks to have cool art, and the parasyte spinoffs are anthologies but one of them has a story by moto hagio

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I finished up Paranoia Agent today and that was a ride and a half. I liked how the first half of it was a more traditional whodunnit type of story but it progresses to more experimental mindbending stuff with how the shonen bat phenomena impacts society. It's probably tied with millennium actress for best Satoshi Kon for me but I'll have to sleep on it for a day or two. That OP is incredible too.

RIP Satoshi Kon.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

iospace posted:

And then there's Endless Eight

Endless Eight was an experience you had to be there for when it was happening. The reactions of the general audience as it was happening was a big part of it. I can't see myself rewatching it, and I'd probably recommend people watching Haruhi today skip it, but it was a hell of an experience as it aired.

The rest of Haruhi is excellent and deserves at least one watch. The Day of Sagittarius III episode has one of the best space battles in anime.

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?

Julias posted:

I haven't seen it yet, but Tsuki Ga Kirei from a couple of seasons ago seemed pretty popular. You might like it.

Edit: My friend confirmed that it has a happy ending, so there you go.

I know that reply is two weeks old but I've got to thank you for the recommendation. Watched it in two days and it was exactly what I was looking for. It's slow and character driven, the art is beautiful (although some background animations look really weird) and the music is perfect to convey those emotions invoked by the voiceactors. It wrapped up nicely and brought tears to my eyes, really my perfect romance anime. Thanks again and thank your friend for me too please :)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

puschel posted:

I know that reply is two weeks old but I've got to thank you for the recommendation. Watched it in two days and it was exactly what I was looking for. It's slow and character driven, the art is beautiful (although some background animations look really weird) and the music is perfect to convey those emotions invoked by the voiceactors. It wrapped up nicely and brought tears to my eyes, really my perfect romance anime. Thanks again and thank your friend for me too please :)

No problem, and you can thank Droyer and Lemon-Lime for recommending it seasons past.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
https://twitter.com/YohaneBonaventu/status/926313650045927424

:catstare:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

fyi asian sizes for boxers are like, completely too small

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

El Burbo posted:

Just buy HSiFS when it comes out. It's not that hard and the sub weapon system is deece even if there are some obviously superior choices. Also the boss patterns arent my favorite, but its a fine video gam

Too late, playing 8.

Music owns in context. The game is really fun, even though I suck at it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
uh, looks like some weird poo poo happened

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/7aq2s7/psa_dont_enter_crunchyrollcom_at_the_moment_it/

hope account/password database remains intact

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

well drat

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Whelp

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
lol

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

well I was always taught to never download an unknown exe file but how can I say no to SSJ3 Goku?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

well I was always taught to never download an unknown exe file but how can I say no to SSJ3 Goku?

https://twitter.com/AsagiKurosagi/status/926788427604881415

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll_de/status/926782599460212736

Here's the official word. I just signed back up last night but wasn't prompted.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

they are saying it's a dns hijack so your information is safe unless you run the trojan like a big fuckin idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll_de/status/926785289829474304

That's an ugly way to learn why on-call shifts exist if the support team is also asleep.

• Locked thread