Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I bought a Shining Legends trainer box today and one of the packs had a Zoroark GX in it. I am going to relive my Wigglytuff days through this pocket man, yes I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'd definitely consider Oranguru over a just-because Lugia.

Edit: For one thing, an Oranguru on your bench is actually useful.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 20, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Got back into this game recently and man the standard rotation is killing me. I have to play expanded exclusively because I don't have any of the standard staples which you need to not get trained on every single game. Facing a metagross GX/Solgaleo GX deck right now and it's just leagues better.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What's this I've heard about Tapu Lele GX likely getting a reprint in some kind of box set? My FLGS owner told me that they tend to reprint expensive as hell cards, but he's also notorious for being a loving idiot. But I would like to not pay ~$45 a hit for Tapu Lele GX and would be willing to wait if that's true. I know that it got reprinted in a supplemental Japanese set, but the release schedule and supplements for Japanese cards is different than it is abroad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I mean, if it got a Japanese reprint, then I'd hope it's gonna get one here, though the "no other-language cards" rule does gently caress with that a bit and is stupid as hell.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Star Man posted:

What's this I've heard about Tapu Lele GX likely getting a reprint in some kind of box set? My FLGS owner told me that they tend to reprint expensive as hell cards, but he's also notorious for being a loving idiot. But I would like to not pay ~$45 a hit for Tapu Lele GX and would be willing to wait if that's true. I know that it got reprinted in a supplemental Japanese set, but the release schedule and supplements for Japanese cards is different than it is abroad.

Probably misunderstanding that there is a Tapu Lele box set coming, but it's not a GX. That or he misunderstood that the promo non GX tapu lele got a reprint in the latest japanese set, but as a fairy type. Either way, you're probably still better off just buying GR packs haha.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

They did reprint roaring skies to flood some more Shaymin EX back into the economy as it were so it's possible they'll do the same thing months down the line? Either way it sucks that you're in the situation that you have to spend potentially hundreds buying some lele's.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
That's kind of the unfortunate reality of competitive TCGs. At least it's an $80 investment for cards that will be good for 2 years (not even counting expanded) and that will only continue to increase in rarity and price.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
In Magic, there's a card called The Scarab God that is $45 on the secondary market. When it rotates out of Standard, its price will be cut in half or more because it only has a home in a casual format and not in any tournament sanctioned formats like Modern or Legacy. It will hold some value, but not like it has now. I'm used to thr idea of paying a lot of money for singles in Magic, but if a card's worth a gazillion dollars because it's only good in a format with rotation and useless in the eternal formats, then I tend to just avoid it and play a different deck.

Tapu Lele GX is a thing in Expanded, so I know that I can get a lot of mileage out of it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Got back into this game recently and man the standard rotation is killing me. I have to play expanded exclusively because I don't have any of the standard staples which you need to not get trained on every single game. Facing a metagross GX/Solgaleo GX deck right now and it's just leagues better.

Play expanded tournaments for traceable packs -> trade packs for staple cards.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alternatively, if you have more money than patience, you can buy pack codes online for like $0.75 each. Drop $10 on codes in a good pack, and you should be able to pull at least a couple nice bargaining chips to trade for what you need.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Or you can get bulk codes and trade for the cards you want since tradeable packs are the currency of PTCGO.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Oh I know all that stuff I'm just having a little bitch because all my decks got rotated out of standard. It feels like there's less options now? With VS Seekers rotated out it makes cards like lele even more important. Before su/mo if you didn't have any EX's or Shaymin EX it wasn't that big a deal because there were a lot of options and now it feels like lele's are even more vital than shaymin used to be.

I'm still having fun with the decks I have though and built a budget trashalanche deck which is pretty great.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

PMush Perfect posted:

Alternatively, if you have more money than patience, you can buy pack codes online for like $0.75 each. Drop $10 on codes in a good pack, and you should be able to pull at least a couple nice bargaining chips to trade for what you need.

Dog, if you are paying 75 cents a pack for normally distributed packs that is way to much, although it is legit for stuff like Shining Legends.

Looking at Guardians Rising right now on eBay, if you buy 100 codes they go for about 40 cents each. You can find better deals, but usually not as big bulk.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Steadily climbing my way into a playable deck on the online client, traded for some Guzmas and wow, it's basically like going from a scooter to rocket ship in terms of the difference it makes. Sure, having moves that reach back and hit pokemon on the bench are alright but usually do 50 damage at most, this just lets me yank that GX sitting back there and get rid of it for good. Not to mention I don't have to spend the entire game widdling down their entire team now.

PMush Perfect posted:

I'd definitely consider Oranguru over a just-because Lugia.

Edit: For one thing, an Oranguru on your bench is actually useful.

Yeah, I did the swap. Oranguru's basically better in every instance anyhow with how versatile his attack is.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
I haven’t played in a while, but I was wondering. Is there any kind of workable deck with the sun and moon eevee?

I’m a big fan of eeveelutions but with only three available it doesn’t seem that great.

Edit: three in standard anyway.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

X_ThePerfect posted:

I haven’t played in a while, but I was wondering. Is there any kind of workable deck with the sun and moon eevee?

I’m a big fan of eeveelutions but with only three available it doesn’t seem that great.

Espeon GX can pull its weight well, enacting Confusion with 30 damage for a single Energy... or at least could, until everyone and their grandma started running Guzma, which clears the Special Condition. Divide GX still pairs nicely with spread-damage decks (Tapu Koko, etc.) and Espeon EX to devolve Pokemon into having too few HP to avoid being Knocked Out.

If you want to get obscure, there is an Umbreon promo still legal in Standard.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

X_ThePerfect posted:

Sylveon GX was big for a while, before gardevoir gx came out. It's still a thing though, usually played with gardevoir.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lorak posted:

Wow, that is a mediocre promo.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010

Lorak posted:

Espeon GX can pull its weight well, enacting Confusion with 30 damage for a single Energy... or at least could, until everyone and their grandma started running Guzma, which clears the Special Condition. Divide GX still pairs nicely with spread-damage decks (Tapu Koko, etc.) and Espeon EX to devolve Pokemon into having too few HP to avoid being Knocked Out.

I actually have a trade locked one of those from somewhere? But yeah... I can't see myself putting it in over the GX.
Thanks for the advice and stuff guys - I just put together an expanded Umbreon GX/Espeon GX with the type granting eeveelutions. Its a fun-ish deck but not great I guess. I may have built it badly and it turns out somebody has a great version though.

I think I'll just get some codes and trade for some standard decks now. Is there a goon discord for this or is it way too dead a thread to have anything like that?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have three copies of Tapu Lele GX now and I have no idea what deck I want to make with them. How much longer until I break down and hand over the money for one of the subscription-based websites?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Star Man posted:

I have three copies of Tapu Lele GX now and I have no idea what deck I want to make with them. How much longer until I break down and hand over the money for one of the subscription-based websites?
I'd say don't.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Just find a discord, dude, they'll link or explain the meta hotness.

There's an okish podcast that as one and that's fine.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I love Burning Shadows Crabominable so, so very much.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

I love Burning Shadows Crabominable so, so very much.
What kind of list are you running? Seems like a neat Pokemon.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

What kind of list are you running? Seems like a neat Pokemon.

4,4 Crabrawler, Crabominable, 4 Strong Energy, a bunch of Muscle Bands, Wally and healing cards is the gist of it. Turn 1 Wally is hilariously brutal.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Buzzwole GX and Regirock EX both pair really well with Crabominable as well, you might have some fun with those!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

How hard is this to get into for someone whose only TCG experience was doing dumb YuGiOh random decks as a kid.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Should be simple enough, it's designed to be understood by literal children. The client has a pretty decent tutorial as well, iirc.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
As someone who used to play the TCG waaaaaay back when it started in Base Set/Jungle/Fossil/etc as a kid, how much has the gameplay changed over the years? Looking for a new card game to get into that I can play at home when I'm not at LGSs playing MtG. I remember seeing newer cards and thinking they were hilariously broken compared to the original sets, but apparently I've heard it makes the game better? I pretty much stopped playing when the Dark and Steel types became a thing. (I kind of resent kid me for selling my collection for like $10, I had some fairly good stuff...)

Also, is this kind of like MtG where Standard often gets "solved" and there's a rampant "best deck" that everyone plays to the point of monotony, or can you build a deck with your favorite pokemon of your favorite type and do fairly well? (My favorite types are psychic, fairy, dark, grass, and steel, at any rate.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Matsuri posted:

As someone who used to play the TCG waaaaaay back when it started in Base Set/Jungle/Fossil/etc as a kid, how much has the gameplay changed over the years? Looking for a new card game to get into that I can play at home when I'm not at LGSs playing MtG. I remember seeing newer cards and thinking they were hilariously broken compared to the original sets, but apparently I've heard it makes the game better? I pretty much stopped playing when the Dark and Steel types became a thing. (I kind of resent kid me for selling my collection for like $10, I had some fairly good stuff...)

Also, is this kind of like MtG where Standard often gets "solved" and there's a rampant "best deck" that everyone plays to the point of monotony, or can you build a deck with your favorite pokemon of your favorite type and do fairly well? (My favorite types are psychic, fairy, dark, grass, and steel, at any rate.)
In general, Pokemon have a lot more HP, and do more damage. Most of the good Pokemon are either evolved, which takes a bit of setting up, or Pokemon EX/GX, which are much stronger than normal, but losing them counts as losing two Pokemon. (There's a fairly solid set of cards that specifically hate on EX/GX, though, including the core of the deck I'm currently playing.)

'Best decks' don't happen nearly as often as least partially because of the weakness system. If a fire deck gets super popular, more people start playing water to counter it, etc. Sometimes, a type just isn't strong enough to counter a powerful deck, but they usually buff that type in the next set to help take care of it. What's somewhat common though is when one particular Pokemon is too good in too many decks so it shoots up in price specifically because decks of any type can run it. (Current offender is Tapu Lele GX, which is going for something like $40 each.)

That's not to say that there's never a dominant deck or two, but there's a system in place for at least trying to deal with it, at least.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 8, 2017

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Okay so since the decks in the OP aren't available anymore, what's the current good theme decks? Apparently Crushing Current is much stronger than the others among the free decks but what about the shop ones?

redux
Apr 23, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

Okay so since the decks in the OP aren't available anymore, what's the current good theme decks? Apparently Crushing Current is much stronger than the others among the free decks but what about the shop ones?

Hidden Moon used to be the best deck by far, but with the release of Crimson Invasion the dark/psychic deck usually beats it, which in turn gets crushed by Rock Steady.

Things may continue to develop a bit but any of those three would be a decent starting point.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Decided I'd give it a try. I'm just doing the training missions right n--

ok

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Matsuri posted:

Decided I'd give it a try. I'm just doing the training missions right n--

ok
Hahahahaha, holy poo poo.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Finally managed to grind up 500 tokens. Should I just dive in and buy a theme deck, and I'm assuming one of the three you mentioned was the best to go? (Would probably get Hidden Moon just because it has types and cards I like). (Though I really like Alolan Ninetales too and it's on the cover of another...)

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Matsuri posted:

Finally managed to grind up 500 tokens. Should I just dive in and buy a theme deck, and I'm assuming one of the three you mentioned was the best to go? (Would probably get Hidden Moon just because it has types and cards I like). (Though I really like Alolan Ninetales too and it's on the cover of another...)

My current favourite is the Kommo-o deck from Crimson Invasion. It's a real blast to play when you get it going.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Looked through the cards in the decks and ended up picking the Hydreigon one. Seems pretty decent so far.

With the packs I'm getting from the trainer challenges, should I be opening those or trading them?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Open, they're account locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

Open, they're account locked.

ah gotcha

I guess duplicate foils in the same pack is cool, haha

Framboise fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 10, 2017

• Locked thread