Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Oh man, sauve knuckleduster, that I wasn't expecting.

Kild posted:

The last minute powerup is so stupid in retrospect because he didn't even unlock bankai then. Literally all his powerups has been his stupid ghost grandpa going eh, you're probably gonna die unless I unseal some more of your power.
Dude it's a shoved in retcon that doesn't make any sense and was just added because every single arc has him tied to the antagonists in some way. He's a shinigami (who lost his powers) a hollow (who lost control of his powers) a fullbringer (who lost his powers) and a quincy (I forget).There is no 'retrospect'. Tite planned nothing past the basics in the SS arc. That's every arc, Bleach was always on repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

Oh man, sauve knuckleduster, that I wasn't expecting.
Dude it's a shoved in retcon that doesn't make any sense and was just added because every single arc has him tied to the antagonists in some way. He's a shinigami (who lost his powers) a hollow (who lost control of his powers) a fullbringer (who lost his powers) and a quincy (I forget).There is no 'retrospect'. Tite planned nothing past the basics in the SS arc. That's every arc, Bleach was always on repeat.

He was a Quincy the whole time then he turned it into one of his swords that never really did anything.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Honestly I like Vigilantes more than the main story. I like following a ragtag street level group a lot more than following the biggest superheroes and villains in Japan.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kild posted:

He was a Quincy the whole time then he turned it into one of his swords that never really did anything.

Bleach is dumb and arguing about it is dumber.

tweet my meat posted:

Honestly I like Vigilantes more than the main story. I like following a ragtag street level group a lot more than following the biggest superheroes and villains in Japan.

I agree and actually care more about seeing them solve really mundane issues and their personal problems more than I do the big international drug problem as well.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

A (short) story about ordinary people going about their day-to-day life in the world of mha would probably be great.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I haven't seen either show, but given the Frog-Ninja connections and what we can see of her outfit, I think that's probably Hurricanger.

I thought that for a second as well but that's definitely the blue from Magiranger who I remember being afriad of frogs. Must have been an episode where they magically ended up in ninja outfits to fit in somewhere.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Crawler's mom's quirk seems like it could potentially be really good. It's basically a way to open-palm punch people from a distance.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

fractalairduct posted:

A (short) story about ordinary people going about their day-to-day life in the world of mha would probably be great.

That's basically what half of Vigilantes is.

tweet my meat posted:

Yeah, after binge reading it this week I'd have to say the same. Mostly it's the fact that, outside of the opening chapters, every chapter is a complete story in itself, and they have a pretty decent range of comedy, daily life and action stuff, but the important point is that there's a conclusion of some sort at the end of each chapter. Makes reading them more satisfying, since you know next month there'll be something new going on. The fact that it's a prequel means they also don't need to bother trying to shoehorn in cameos from the main series, which is a nice bonus as well.

I still think MHA is the better series overall, but Vigilantes is a great companion piece.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ytlaya posted:

Crawler's mom's quirk seems like it could potentially be really good. It's basically a way to open-palm punch people from a distance.

Honestly it's like her quirk would be great for comedy duos.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Pop Step's reaction to Koichi's Mother's comment about him jumping into a river was great.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ActionZero posted:

I thought that for a second as well but that's definitely the blue from Magiranger who I remember being afriad of frogs. Must have been an episode where they magically ended up in ninja outfits to fit in somewhere.

Okay yeah that does sound incredibly Magiranger. They also had a tendency to make mundane stuff huge so it fits. I feel better now since I did not recognize the girl and not recognizing HurricaneBlue's actress would have been my shame.

Re: the chapter itself, Vigilantes' art can't match Horikoshi's but drat if Knuckleduster didn't instantly earn a spot in the Top 3 MHA Hotties.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Vigilantes is okay, I still don't like how it treats its female cast. The latest girls are a tad better than Pop Step at least, but she really needs to be written out of her damsel in distress situation.

In all other aspects Vigilantes is fun.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Mordaedil posted:

Vigilantes is okay, I still don't like how it treats its female cast. The latest girls are a tad better than Pop Step at least, but she really needs to be written out of her damsel in distress situation.

In all other aspects Vigilantes is fun.

I don't like the early chapters popstep but the latest chapters popstep is fun

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Writing a deliberately non-action character is always going to be tricky and FWIW I feel they handle it gracefully enough for what it is.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

she goes from being the damsel in every situation to a generic one sided attraction to an oblivious main character, so I can definitely see someone taking issue to how pop step is handled

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Makoto just kinda blows Pop-Step out of the water in every regard

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
For all the darker underpinnings, the best part of Vigilantes happens to be the slice of life stuff. Since it's not stuck being framed within the walls of UA, it gets to pull the camera back a bit and show you a bit of what quirk-world life is like. Meanwhile the life-and-limb moments don't hold much as weight because the series isn't framed as a battle manga - it's not out to compete with the main series and the main trio aren't much for spectacle.

None of the characters are breaking any new ground thus far, I don't think it's specific to Pop, even if she has been a bit mistreated. Hauler and Duster have been a bit one-note too. Thing is, we're also really early into the story, and it's taking a lot of steps in the right direction, so I'm optimistic about where it's going.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 6, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheKingofSprings posted:

Makoto just kinda blows Pop-Step out of the water in every regard

Nah, Makoto is just trying to trick people into letting something slip she can use as a scoop for her paper. She's very polite but that's just to get people's guard down.

Popstep is a frumpy nerd whose dream self is a confident cute girl and I both empathize and respect that.

The mom is Very Strong though. No bad moms in MHA's universe so far.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing I like about Pop Step is that she isn't smitten with Koichi because of mysterious MC attractiveness. She likes him because he saved her and after finally really seeing him in action it puts his earnest dork dogooder-ness in context for her.

Also kinda interesting that she's pretty androgynous if you take away the hair. I kinda wonder if she does what she does to attempt to appear and be viewed as feminine as possible. Probably reading too much into it but that'd be an interesting motivation at least.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think pop-step's alright and all but liking the main character because they are heroic and nice seems like how it goes in most things.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
It's rote viewer wish fulfillment, but it's ultimately pretty harmless. Given that most of the main series is based upon taking well-trodden ideas and polishing them, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

this latest mha arc has been awful and it's killing the manga for me. too many characters introduced, requiring a poo poo ton of characterization to be forced in (when we still haven't got decent characterization for a good deal of the cast we've got), little girl's powers don't make sense, and forcing deku into 100% at this point is overescalation when he's already been turning himself into pudding for most of the manga.

jesus christ. he needs to sit back, let deku get more used to his quirk and deal with other students for a bit

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think pop-step's alright and all but liking the main character because they are heroic and nice seems like how it goes in most things.

Right but the romantic angle only came into it after the 'he jumps into the river to save her' flashback. It parallels the 'heroic domino effect' shown in MHA where All Might (Koichi) inspires Midoriya (Pop-Step) to do better because of that heroic moment.

I need to reread Vigilantes to see if the original Damsel in Distress Pop-Step stuff ties into something dealing with that flashback but my gut's telling me there's a connection there.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Condiv posted:

this latest mha arc has been awful and it's killing the manga for me. too many characters introduced, requiring a poo poo ton of characterization to be forced in (when we still haven't got decent characterization for a good deal of the cast we've got), little girl's powers don't make sense, and forcing deku into 100% at this point is overescalation when he's already been turning himself into pudding for most of the manga.

jesus christ. he needs to sit back, let deku get more used to his quirk and deal with other students for a bit
I like the arc a lot better than I did at the early parts of the raid now that everything has mostly played out. 100% full cowl is pretty cool IMO as a preview of a mostly finished Deku- it's just how it all wraps up that worries me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

eri's powers make enough sense considering there's definitely more they will probably explain about them after overhaul gets owned.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fabricated posted:

I like the arc a lot better than I did at the early parts of the raid now that everything has mostly played out. 100% full cowl is pretty cool IMO as a preview of a mostly finished Deku- it's just how it all wraps up that worries me.

it's been awful. it started off ok, deku getting an internship under all might's sidekick made me think that maybe this time he'd be given time to get his poo poo together. instead, once again he's front and center for battles he's not ready for and destroying himself at a cellular level, but oh wait he's got a reset button strapped to his back so it's all good this time

the complaints other people had resonate with me, and i find myself falling further and further behind the manga cause it's been a slog this entire arc

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Shere posted:

It's rote viewer wish fulfillment, but it's ultimately pretty harmless. Given that most of the main series is based upon taking well-trodden ideas and polishing them, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

it's not by horikoshi though

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'll give the Vigilantes protagonist credit for generally seeming like a guy who has his poo poo together, though (I mean, he's awkward in certain ways, but I don't get the impression he's actually insecure deep-down). Like, he doesn't come off quite as either awkward/insecure or hyper-focused on combat/heroing (like, say, the protagonist of Black Clover) as most similar protagonists (him being a college student helps some with this), and it's not inconceivable to me that someone in Pop Step's position could be interested in this guy.

Fabricated posted:

I'm not sure if what we've seen of 100% full cowl is really equal to what we've seen from All Might. Like, it's definitely really strong (I mean, he kicked this dude who probably weighs a couple tons into the sky), but I'm not sure if it's "weakened All Might with weights attached literally destroying several city blocks of buildings with the shock wave from a punch" strong.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's not, because as has been mentioned before 100% is not 100% of All Might's power. It's 100% of what Midoriya could theoretically handle with his body as it currently is and enough mastery of OfA.

See also: Overhaul didn't loving explode immediately and Eri didn't go flying off of Midoriya.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Really my biggest problem with 100% is that it's against Overhaul and although he is currently inhabiting a giant rock dragon and has completely destroyed everyone he's fought he still doesn't feel like that big a deal. So Deku annihilating him instead of feeling really impressive just kinda feels like "yeah I mean obviously this was going to happen. This guy sucks"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

It's not, because as has been mentioned before 100% is not 100% of All Might's power. It's 100% of what Midoriya could theoretically handle with his body as it currently is and enough mastery of OfA.

See also: Overhaul didn't loving explode immediately and Eri didn't go flying off of Midoriya.

Wait, but I thought the reason 100% exploded his body is because it was beyond what his body could handle. What does "theoretically handle" even mean? Like, how does he somehow make his body capable of handling more OfA without increasing its "theoretical" maximum OfA capacity or whatever? I thought he increases the amount of OfA he can safely use by making his body stronger, so how does he then also increase its maximum output?

edit: Like, there are two separate things here - the amount of OfA he can use without hurting himself, and the amount of OfA he can output without consideration for how much damage it causes. As far as I'm aware, there's only one way he can train to improve either of these - strengthening his body.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

honestly it sounds like theorycrafting to me. like you could assume that Full Cowl is just a crutch for Deku to be able to use OFA and so 100% Full Cowl isn't the full 100% of OFA...but i don't think the manga has ever stated that. i'm fine with making that assumption fwiw, but i don't remember it being confirmed.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, but I thought the reason 100% exploded his body is because it was beyond what his body could handle. What does "theoretically handle" even mean?

The theoretical part is that if he did do it, he'd die from ripping himself apart. Hence why it's a theory: there's no evidence to back it up.

Until now.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
It's directly stated that OFA gets stronger with each new user, so if Deku's 100% isn't nearly as impressive as All Might's then it clearly isn't the true limitation of the power. And so far it hasn't seemed to match even what All Might could do with the very last dregs of power he had left after being severely weakened from both injuries and passing the quirk on.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I figure 100% Full Cowl is the same as 1,000,000% Detroit Smash; it's not actually 100%, it's just Deku pushing himself to his (current) limit. It's definitely not 100% of One For All's power, just 100% of what Deku's capable of at this moment.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

deku specifically says that 100% is all might's power, so that's what it is unless horikoshi has said otherwise

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Really my biggest problem with 100% is that it's against Overhaul and although he is currently inhabiting a giant rock dragon and has completely destroyed everyone he's fought he still doesn't feel like that big a deal. So Deku annihilating him instead of feeling really impressive just kinda feels like "yeah I mean obviously this was going to happen. This guy sucks"

Yeah I'm kind of there. Deku busting out a temporary 100% that doesn't incapacitate him after one move feels like a potentially interesting desperation powerup being used on an incredibly boring nothing of a villain, which is disappointing because most of the other major fights in the manga have felt pretty punchy and threatening. Even Muscular - who was pretty much just as much of a random mook as the Yakuza megaman bosses that this arc has been rolling through - felt more threatening to me.

When I think about why that is, I think it might be the scale. Most of the other fights in this manga have been intensely personal, compartmentalized affairs between just a couple of people; Noumu vs All Might, AfO vs All Might, Deku vs Muscular, Deku vs Bakugou(both times), all of the Sports Festival fights, etc. This personal scale has made them a lot more compelling to me. Most of these fights were also decided in a very quick flurry of action, with one decisive act determining the winner of the battle. I think this is why the Fatgum/Kirishima vs Rappa/Other Guy fight was good for me, because it shares that personal scale and that fast, decisive conclusion.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Manatee Cannon posted:

deku specifically says that 100% is all might's power

Allow me to raise a counterpoint here: Deku can be wrong.

Unless you really think loving Overhaul can handle the greater than 300-punch rush that pummeled a Noumu with shock absorption and was still launched into the stratosphere afterwards, and each punch therein caused significant shockwaves, environmental damage and had visible effect on people who were standing nearby (including, oh I don't know, Deku himself). And that was a weakened All Might.

Plus, y'know, Eri is still right there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you're overthinking things imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's 100% of all might's power but the muscles are not there to make it even stronger