Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Everyone bitching about the free games when in the past two months we've gotten Infamous and MGS5. Those are both huge (and good) AAA games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly don't think anything short of new release AAA games would keep people from complaining. And then once they got used to it they'd complain about it not being the right games.

A lot of my plus games go unplayed, but it still works out to a ridiculously good deal in the end imo. I get 72 free games a year. I probably save at least 100 bucks on sales and I play online a lot so I'd just buy it (and be mad about it) even without the perks.

The entire cost is that of one new game a year. Actually less since I always buy when there is a deal with bonus months or whatever. It just feels like such a no brainer.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

DrNutt posted:

poo poo, that's cool as hell and did not know that. I read the book after listening to his interview on a Destiny podcast. Dude's smart as gently caress and a fantastic writer.

Yup! he's General Battuta. Last I saw he's working on the sequel.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 4, 2017

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The trick to getting value out of PS+ is to not buy new games when they come out. Especially not indie games. Boy I sure hope the business deal for indie games who get chosen for + is a good one because having a subscription actively makes me choose not to buy games that seem interesting. And then it pays off when games like Bound becomes free.

So search your heart and ask yourself if you can hold off on buying games on day one. If you can, + more than pays for itself with games you were thinking of buying going free and deep discounts on older AAA games.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

veni veni veni posted:

I honestly don't think anything short of new release AAA games would keep people from complaining. And then once they got used to it they'd complain about it not being the right games.

A lot of my plus games go unplayed, but it still works out to a ridiculously good deal in the end imo. I get 72 free games a year. I probably save at least 100 bucks on sales and I play online a lot so I'd just buy it (and be mad about it) even without the perks.

The entire cost is that of one new game a year. Actually less since I always buy when there is a deal with bonus months or whatever. It just feels like such a no brainer.

this is so true, there is nothing funnier than a poster showing up to say "IS ANYONE ELSE TIRED OF NOT GETTING THE EXACT SPECIFIC GAMES I WANT?" apparently so, yes, they are.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

veni veni veni posted:

Even with indies though. When I signed up they'd put games up for free indefinitely so there was something like 35 free games immediately available for me.

They changed the schedule for free games a while ago, like even before the PS4 came out. A bunch would be free but they changed infrequently. They called it the "instant game collection" or something. There are actually more games total you can claim for free now but you can only do them each month.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah, I know. OG ps plus was much closer to ps now or game pass than it's current iteration. I don't remember when they switched to the current model. Maybe a few months before PS4? About the time they started giving out new release hit AAA games and set expectations unreasonably high forever. They gave out bioshock infinite and metro last light about a month after both of them were released and people have expected that ever since.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was as soon as they switched to requiring it for online so PS4 launch.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I bought my pro and started a year of ps+ in September. I haven't played online yet but infamous SS alone normally costs 20€, and I got the platinum trophy on it. I have claimed but not started this month's games but for me, ps+ is already worth it. If I get 1or 2 games in the remaining 10 months that I enjoy as much as SS, I am perfectly fine with paying for it even though I hardly use MP.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PS+ has been worth it for the discounts, IMO. The freebies maybe round it out, but it's mostly the extra discounts. I've never not paid for PS+ without a discounted code, though, so YMMV.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've more than made up the cost of yearly PS+ purely from PS+ exclusive discounts during sales. I've long stopped caring what games PS+ offers monthly because I know the games that I DO want will often get huge 50-80% off sales.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also, although paying to play online is bs, its worth noting that millions of us payed the same price to do it on Xbox last gen with literally zero perks. Free games and sweet discounts make it seem a lot less callous, but most of us would still pay for it and just be way more pissed off otherwise. Who the gently caress wants a console that can't play online in tyool 2017?

At least companies are trying to make it feel worthwhile to the consumer now instead of just being blatant dickheads.

E: I wouldn't trade all of the loot boxes in the world to go back to online passes and companies publicly threatening that sequels wont be made if we don't buy enough copies. last gen was a loving mess by comparison.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 4, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hope the success of games like Horizon can communicate at least on some level, "hey if you just release a solid $60 product with no stupid gimmicks that doesn't self-destruct on startup millions of people will buy it anyway." But the lootbox train marches ever onward.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A lot of people's value barometers are pegged to PS3-era desperation Sony when they threw out recent AAA games to try to claw back some market share from Microsoft. That's a high that has never been repeated. Hell, we still haven't gotten Knack

And the steady stream of Vita games for the 5 of us who bought them. Was always a nice bonus.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I hope the success of games like Horizon can communicate at least on some level, "hey if you just release a solid $60 product with no stupid gimmicks that doesn't self-destruct on startup millions of people will buy it anyway." But the lootbox train marches ever onward.

There are still plenty of games that don't include any of that crap and I appreciate the ones that do include it for letting me know not to buy them in advance.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

When I bought my ps4 back in December '16 I hardly played online but got some sweet deals and a bunch of games I liked. Now I play a lot of FPS online and as an old Xbox gold user I don't mind the cost as I've got a good bunch of games for free I wanted anyways.

I still think that paying for online play is bullshit and more when games like Battlefield 4 and 1 have dedicated servers.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Well, it did have loot boxes in the sense that that's what you get for most quest rewards.

Anyway some games just aren't that good but they have to make money too. Do you hate capitalism or something?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do you hate capitalism or something?

You don't?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

doingitwrong posted:

The trick to getting value out of PS+ is to not buy new games when they come out. Especially not indie games. Boy I sure hope the business deal for indie games who get chosen for + is a good one because having a subscription actively makes me choose not to buy games that seem interesting. And then it pays off when games like Bound becomes free.

So search your heart and ask yourself if you can hold off on buying games on day one. If you can, + more than pays for itself with games you were thinking of buying going free and deep discounts on older AAA games.

The way it normally works is someone in the thread buys a game they've been putting off buying for a while, and then a week later it gets given free as a PS+ game. So remember, whenever you get a free game you wanted to play, you should thank some idiot here who decided to foolishly buy a game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That idiot was me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

veni veni veni posted:

There are still plenty of games that don't include any of that crap and I appreciate the ones that do include it for letting me know not to buy them in advance.

It's just extra insidious now because the $60 price point no longer guarantees that you'll be getting the same gameplay experience as everyone else. What used to be mundane who cares poo poo like horse armor is now partitioned off into bonus preorder missions or extra options for season pass holders or locked content consistently taunting you that you didn't pony up and put down $129.99 for the super deluxe mega hype edition instead. Are these extra perks ever worth it? Usually not, but it's still irritating that $60 in many cases gives you a decidedly leaner slice of the game than all these nickel and dime tactics designed to rook in the superfans. It's refreshing and all too rare nowadays where you can buy a game and just... play the game without having to manage your bonus preorder DLC content or cosmetics or whatever worthless poo poo was dumped onto your digital download. I respect the games that do exactly that without any dumb gimmicks.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm the kind of player that doesn't mind lootboxes as long as the game is good and getting them by normally playing isn't an insane grind.

You could unlock everything in GR Wildlands by paying but just playing and exploring gave you all the stuff that mattered so it was fine for me.

Put a great item behind a paid random chance and I'll either not play the game or return it if I can. We got season pass poo poo already and loads of DLCs when back in the days we got fully fledged expansion packs or even mods to add content.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Here's a 20% discount code, doesn't work on preorders.

LFMFF9FNNR

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Oh yeah, I know. OG ps plus was much closer to ps now or game pass than it's current iteration.
That's overstating it a lot, Game Pass gives you over 100 games, PS+ in the summer of 2012/first half of 2013 gave you maybe like 10 games at a time, they staggered every month, and they never stuck around for longer than like 3 months.

In Europe they put up roughly 6 games every month at the time anyway so it's not really different to now, they just all change at once instead of being staggered over 3 months.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

Is PSN+ worth it? It's 40 bucks for a year on amazon, but this month's games are kinda... ehhhhhhhh, and I'm not sure how much online playing I'll be doing tbh.

we got infamous second son, just cause 3, and phantom pain the past 3 months. they're hit or miss but there's some good games in there. sales are also way better; there's a sale going right now and the deals are way for plus members (horizon is $39 for regular members and $28 for plus, as an example). you also get preorder discounts (to use horizon as an example again, the dlc is $5 cheaper for plus members to preorder)

there's a bunch of sales this time of year so if you waited on a bunch of games, you might save more than that $40 would have got you just off of plus member discounts

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Game pass on Xbox is also a separate subscription. And offers way more games and especially full retail games than ps+ ever did, even early on.

Xbox games with gold is actually better than ps+ these days, especially since you can keep the Xbox 360 titles permanently. Ps+ definitely gets better discounts and better sales (on the last month I've seen more than five games at a better price on the Playstation store)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Game pass on Xbox is also a separate subscription. And offers way more games and especially full retail games than ps+ ever did, even early on.

Xbox games with gold is actually better than ps+ these days, especially since you can keep the Xbox 360 titles permanently. Ps+ definitely gets better discounts and better sales (on the last month I've seen more than five games at a better price on the Playstation store)

Agree with this. Gold upped its quality a lot when the one came out because the PS4 slapped it hard. I got so many good games on my 360 for free that ended being backwards compatible so I know that I'll end getting a bone S just to play them or if they do the HD thing to older games, get a xbonex.

I just need more time and money to just play videogames for 18h a day while my wife watches the entire netflix catalog :v:

Xbox Live Gold sales at the other hand are nothing great so that evens out.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Guillermus posted:

Agree with this. Gold upped its quality a lot when the one came out because the PS4 slapped it hard. I got so many good games on my 360 for free that ended being backwards compatible so I know that I'll end getting a bone S just to play them or if they do the HD thing to older games, get a xbonex.

I just need more time and money to just play videogames for 18h a day while my wife watches the entire netflix catalog :v:

Xbox Live Gold sales at the other hand are nothing great so that evens out.

Yeah the Xbox one x actually apparently helps up the resolution and framerate for some 360 games. I could see myself buying a used one x a few years later to play the 360 Era of titles (plus some Xbox originals). Because of that crazy ps3 architecture we shouldn't expect ps3 titles on ps4 or ps5 without having to rebuy them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can play a lot of ps3 games on ps4 if your internet is good enough for psnow

mine sure as hell isn't tho

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can play a lot of ps3 games on ps4 if your internet is good enough for psnow

mine sure as hell isn't tho

Also a separate subscription.

Whereas with the Xbox one s/x, you can actually use the disc's you still have from 8 years ago.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

Also a separate subscription.

Whereas with the Xbox one s/x, you can actually use the disc's you still have from 8 years ago.
Or 12 years ago.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If I really want to play 360 games, I'd fire up my 360. Its sitting right there. Most people who still have discs they bought 8 years ago will still have the system that plays the discs too (unless it was a victim of the 360s lovely build quality). But I never do, because for me (and honestly I think a lot of people) backwards compatibility helps cushion a lovely launch window, but when a system has been out a while I have enough new stuff I want to play that I just never play old games. I'm halfway through both Wolfenstein the new colossus and yakuza kiwami, I have Neir Automata on deck to play after I finish those, Agents of Mayhem isnt a top ten of all time or anything but I reckon I can get a good few hours of fun out of it, and so on and so forth. By the time I've finished any two of those there will be something new out I want to play.

Its the same reason that, even though I could pick up a second hand PS3 for 30 quid or so and use it to play all the PS3 games I didnt play last gen (many of which I have through PS+) I dont. I barely have time to play the current gen games I want to without adding a backlog with more dated graphics to that list.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
PS3s and especially 360s won't last forever.

Also in the case of the Xbox stuff, they put all the backwards compatible games up on XBL, so people who missed out the first time can just go buy and download them.

You personally are not the target for these services, and that's okay.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

The issue is that the profit margin is much higher if you cut the number of games you make down to only mp lootbox grinds so if you arent a platform holder trying to keep your console relevant with diverse games, you'd just pull an ea and shrink your yearly releases from 28 to 6 in the span of 7 years.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
If I buy 2 codes for plus and use both now, they'll add onto my current sub and I won't have to care about it expiring for the next 2.5 years, right? Or would they not just keep adding on and if I have 2I have to use them when the time comes? Would the codes expire in that case?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

SiKboy posted:

If I really want to play 360 games, I'd fire up my 360. Its sitting right there. Most people who still have discs they bought 8 years ago will still have the system that plays the discs too (unless it was a victim of the 360s lovely build quality). But I never do, because for me (and honestly I think a lot of people) backwards compatibility helps cushion a lovely launch window, but when a system has been out a while I have enough new stuff I want to play that I just never play old games. I'm halfway through both Wolfenstein the new colossus and yakuza kiwami, I have Neir Automata on deck to play after I finish those, Agents of Mayhem isnt a top ten of all time or anything but I reckon I can get a good few hours of fun out of it, and so on and so forth. By the time I've finished any two of those there will be something new out I want to play.

Its the same reason that, even though I could pick up a second hand PS3 for 30 quid or so and use it to play all the PS3 games I didnt play last gen (many of which I have through PS+) I dont. I barely have time to play the current gen games I want to without adding a backlog with more dated graphics to that list.
Your argument for this hinges on "new = better" which I don't know I can agree with.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'd rather play saints row 2 again than play agents of mayhem as an example.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Bardeh posted:

Everyone bitching about the free games when in the past two months we've gotten Infamous and MGS5. Those are both huge (and good) AAA games!

I'm pretty pleased that we got ground zeroes and then mgsv, and now it's my go to gently caress around stealth/kidnapping simulator instead of a $70 new purchase I spent food money on and am obligated to play

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had PS+ for ages when I only had a PS3, but of course I claimed all the PS4 games just in case I bought one down the line. So then, as soon as I bought my PS4 pro I immediately had like 20 awesome games to play. PS+ is still ridiculously good value - it being required for online gaming is I guess kinda lovely for people who only really play one or two games and have to pay just to play them online, but I would be paying anyway even if MP was free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bardeh posted:

I had PS+ for ages when I only had a PS3, but of course I claimed all the PS4 games just in case I bought one down the line. So then, as soon as I bought my PS4 pro I immediately had like 20 awesome games to play. PS+ is still ridiculously good value - it being required for online gaming is I guess kinda lovely for people who only really play one or two games and have to pay just to play them online, but I would be paying anyway even if MP was free.

Same here but with the 360. I paid gold until Feb 2017 so in case I get a xbone, I can play A LOT of good games without even needing gold because they're already claimed. I played online on my 360 up until December '16 when I got my ps4 so basically was getting a big backlog for two consoles. Right now I'm doing the same for ps3 and vita in case I end getting one.