Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I’ve just noticed that you can finally download previously purchased ringtones. I’ve wanted that for ages, have no idea when it was put in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ocrassus posted:

purchased ringtones

lol

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Yeah I know you can load them on from a computer. Cba with that poo poo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

No one really lamenting the loss of TouchID. Is it not really missed and this concern was overblown? Not a big difference when getting phone out of pocket or while sitting on the table flat?

I was pleasantly surprised with how well it worked with people I helped yesterday. Like, there are still times when finger print could be better, but i would bet Face ID is here to stay for sure.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Pivo posted:

i did not say anything about HDR

8, 8+, X, and Apple TV supports HDR content from Netflix

you're right that Netflix needs you to subscribe to the 4K tier to get access to HDR content
but there have been people ITT who think their iPhone X can display 4K content
it's seriously disingenuous ! maybe i'm a pedantic rear end in a top hat. it's fine. there certainly have been goonier goons. at least i'm trying to spread truth.

1) iphone x screen is higher res than 1080p so there will be an appreciable visual difference in watching 4k content versus 1080p content. it's probably not going to be that appreciable on a 6 inch screen (considering the difference doesn't really jump out at you on my 1440p 25inch monitor unless i'm looking for it) but it's there

2) the display hardware in the x, being oled, is capable of displaying hdr content in a way that delivers the intended effect (mostly). while the software supports playing hdr content in the 8s and new ipad pro, they just use LCDs with no kind of local dimming in the backlight. so the hdr content is tonemapped aggressively to the capabilites of the displays and you don't really get a huge brightness range; at most it'll just take advantage of the slightly larger p3 colour gamut relative to standard hd

3) taking the previous two points into account; if you'd spent a cool grand on an iphone where the main selling point was the screen and you wanted to test it out, sticking on a 4K/HDR film is not a bad way to go. i mean i probably wouldn't post about it lest david lynch find me and murder me but still

4) stop whining

Ocrassus posted:

I’ve just noticed that you can finally download previously purchased ringtones. I’ve wanted that for ages, have no idea when it was put in!

i think it was added in ios 11. it took them 10 years. i must have bought that mgs codec ringtone about 3 times. one time is probably enough to tell that i don't deserve to live

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 4, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TraderStav posted:

No one really lamenting the loss of TouchID. Is it not really missed and this concern was overblown? Not a big difference when getting phone out of pocket or while sitting on the table flat?

It’s usually quick enough that pulling it out of your pocket isn’t a big deal because well you’re going to be looking at it anyways.

The checking on a table thing will be an annoyance especially if you’re trying to be discreet but I think it’s a suitable trade off. (Also I have an watch for that :smug:)

E: it begins... https://reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/7anj9f/iphonex_face_id_fail/

Post your favorite comment!

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 4, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It’s usually quick enough that pulling it out of your pocket isn’t a big deal because well you’re going to be looking at it anyways.

The checking on a table thing will be an annoyance especially if you’re trying to be discreet but I think it’s a suitable trade off. (Also I have an watch for that :smug:)

E: it begins... https://reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/7anj9f/iphonex_face_id_fail/

Post your favorite comment!

Good deal. The touchid and notch are the reasons I went with the 8. May be looking at getting the rev 2 if the lack of Touch ID is fine.

Love the Apple Watch and pairing it with my newly got AirPods is the bees knees.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pivo posted:

i did not say anything about HDR

8, 8+, X, and Apple TV supports HDR content from Netflix

you're right that Netflix needs you to subscribe to the 4K tier to get access to HDR content
but there have been people ITT who think their iPhone X can display 4K content
it's seriously disingenuous ! maybe i'm a pedantic rear end in a top hat. it's fine. there certainly have been goonier goons. at least i'm trying to spread truth.

All anyone is saying is that 4K content looks good on the X’s display. No one is claiming that it’s actually a 4K display. You’re arguing with nobody.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Anyone have any favorite demo videos that do a good job of showing off the 4K OLED screen of the iPhone X?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Weedle posted:

You’re arguing with nobody.

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

io_burn posted:

Anyone have any favorite demo videos that do a good job of showing off the 4K OLED screen of the iPhone X?

Yeah this would be really helpful, I'm thinking of getting an X and want to preview how it looks without going to an Apple store since they're kind of busy right now.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Gigabit LTE on the new iPhone really makes watching 4k videos on its 4K display buttery smooth.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
I’ll admit, the notch makes the screen look like it has devil horns but it’s not horrible.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

xzzy posted:

Yeah this would be really helpful, I'm thinking of getting an X and want to preview how it looks without going to an Apple store since they're kind of busy right now.

https://youtube.com/results?q=4k%20demo&sm=3

Tons of 4k demo videos on youtube, pick one you like

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

The biggest trip report I am looking for is someone who has gone from a 6/7 + to a X. I am up for an upgrade and want to know how much smaller it feels to use.

Also with the above in mind, will I be able to go to the Fruit Stand and play with one now? Or do they only have demos when stock catches up?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Apple TV doesn't support YouTube HDR, confirmed ... YouTube streams that in VP9 only, as far as I know. I'm not 100% sure that YouTube HDR doesn't work on iPhone X, but I wouldn't assume that it does. Netflix works though.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Snowmankilla posted:

The biggest trip report I am looking for is someone who has gone from a 6/7 + to a X. I am up for an upgrade and want to know how much smaller it feels to use.

Also with the above in mind, will I be able to go to the Fruit Stand and play with one now? Or do they only have demos when stock catches up?

I’ve had the plus ever since it was released, the X size is amazing. Feels so much better in your hand and you don’t have to give up screen size.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Small thing I noticed but tapping the notch appears to have the same functionality as tapped the status bad to bring you to the top of a page.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Dumb question. Is there a way to transfer my roughly 40gb of pictures off my old iphone 6S+ onto my new iphone X that doesn’t involve uploading to iCloud? 3/1 DSL makes this a monumental task. I have a 2017 5k imac but it looks like restoring it from a backup only restores settings/texts/etc and not pictures/apps.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cool FaceID thing: Apple Pay notifications don’t display amount/location while locked by default now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rdb posted:

Dumb question. Is there a way to transfer my roughly 40gb of pictures off my old iphone 6S+ onto my new iphone X that doesn’t involve uploading to iCloud? 3/1 DSL makes this a monumental task. I have a 2017 5k imac but it looks like restoring it from a backup only restores settings/texts/etc and not pictures/apps.

Make an encrypted backup, it gets everything.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

rdb posted:

Umm all my photos [60gb worth] are on my new iPhone after restoring from an iTunes backup. Encrypted.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

rdb posted:

You can sync the photo library with iTunes if you want, and iOS 11 has a device to device copy process now. Requires BT and close proximity but I think the data is transferred over wifi like airdrop. No need for iCloud - although you should back up your photos ;)

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

rdb posted:

Put them all on Google Photos, never look back? Why do people store photos locally?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Does anyone else’s skin burn a little on their face when you unlock for iPhone X? It kind of stings.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Pivo posted:

Cool FaceID thing: Apple Pay notifications don’t display amount/location while locked by default now.

Notifications do not show details while locked on the X. This is kinda cool for things like messages, emails, and others you may want private.

However I just had a news alert pop up that I couldn't read (as I used to do) with the phone sitting on the table. I had to pick it up and unlock to read the alert. I hope they add a way to customize what notifications needs to be hidden.

You can change this in Notifications settings but only as a whole. Not app by app.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 4, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Pivo posted:

You can sync the photo library with iTunes if you want, and iOS 11 has a device to device copy process now. Requires BT and close proximity but I think the data is transferred over wifi like airdrop. No need for iCloud - although you should back up your photos ;)

Thanks. I do back them up on the imac, and that backs up on time machine.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pivo posted:

That’s probably just a manifestation of this:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/30/iphone-x-hiding-text-previews/

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Neat. Yeah, that is clearly what is happening. Outlook notifications are hiding details by default too now.

Neat! I didn't know I wanted this, but it is good default behaviour.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I wish there was a way to select which apps do this because I like to glance at outlook alerts when they come in.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Feenix posted:

Does anyone else’s skin burn a little on their face when you unlock for iPhone X? It kind of stings.

For me it feels like dozens of little pinpricks on my skin. Just for a millisecond though.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

The always on when looking feature is amazingly cool and good.

Coming from a 7 plus, the size is perfect. It might be my enjoyment of the new device, but I've never met anyone with bigger hands than me and the form factor is just straight better in a few ways.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004
Everyone should get a stand or better yet a charging stand for your desk. It eliminates the problem of faceID not working when the phone is flat and works great with tap to wake and the attention aware notification stuff.

Also I just figured out that sliding the home indicator area works from the home screen to get you back into the last app you were using.

fr3lm0 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 4, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Are iphone X sales not what they expected? Looks like I can walk into any apple store in my area and just walk out with one.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I got this thing: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/samsung-samsung-wireless-charging-stand-black-ep-ng930bbugca/10418050.aspx

It's stupidly expensive but it is solid. Not having to align the Lightning port with the dock every single time I set my phone down is amazing. I can't believe Apple took so long to jump on the wireless charging thing, this is such a no-brainer "it just works" feature.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Pivo posted:

I got this thing: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/samsung-samsung-wireless-charging-stand-black-ep-ng930bbugca/10418050.aspx

It's stupidly expensive but it is solid. Not having to align the Lightning port with the dock every single time I set my phone down is amazing. I can't believe Apple took so long to jump on the wireless charging thing, this is such a no-brainer "it just works" feature.

$90 for a chi stand? You can buy a tylt vu for like $30 or chinese ones for $20

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I loved the screen real estate on my 2 gens of pluses. I have big hands so the heft and size wasn’t a problem. That said, I recognize the ease to hold the X. I’m still not fully ok with the smaller screen, but I don’t hate it.

I’d say my bigger X issue right now is the weird use of space and margins. It annoys me how high up the keyboard is. (Although I think it may have cured my “hits return or period instead of space bar” issue.)

I also notice ghosting on safari scrolling on contrasty screens.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pivo posted:

Theres actually a wire from the wall to the charger. Its a great phone but lets stick to the facts.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

$90 for a chi stand? You can buy a tylt vu for like $30 or chinese ones for $20

Canada is expensive. The Tylt is 50 bucks + shipping here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Are iphone X sales not what they expected? Looks like I can walk into any apple store in my area and just walk out with one.

rip apple