Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
fav human ancestor/hominin relative
This poll is closed.
Homo neanderthalensis 18 9.18%
Homo erectus 22 11.22%
Homo habilis 8 4.08%
Australopithecus afarensis 12 6.12%
Sahelanthropus tchadensis 11 5.61%
Ardipithecus ramidus 7 3.57%
Australopithecus bahrelghazali 7 3.57%
Homo floresiensis 12 6.12%
Homo naledi 10 5.10%
Kenyanthropus platyops 7 3.57%
ur mom op 59 30.10%
op 23 11.73%
Total: 106 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Zen Punk posted:

can this tell if you're a slav

if you have to ask...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
USPS lost one of my chromosomes in the mail too, op

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I already knew I was basically Norwegian/"Western European"/English/Polish, the test confirmed this.

Emphasis on the English because I finally got proof that, unlike many Americans, I have not a drop of Irish blood, or negligible or whatever.

Still my hair is jet black and my skin is quite olive, and I have a bit of a roman nose. The results came back with a 5% "Iberian Peninsula" reading that I guess explains this? Also my last name is German but doing some genealogy I get the idea it was more common in Switzerland. There is also the "Vikings enslaved dark-haired peoples of the Mediterranean" theory that I've heard. I've been mistaken for an Arab/Greek/Mexican/Jew many a time in my life.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
what happens if you fart in the cup

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I'm a pureblood and have 0% Neanderthal ancestry

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I'm a pureblood and have 0% Neanderthal ancestry

Actually, the whiter you are, the more Neanderthal you likely have. Sub-Saharan Africans show the least Neanderthal interbreeding, so by ”pureblood,” you'd have to mean the blackest dude ever.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I just checked and they have a celiac thing now. Turns out I have a gene for it. Am I.... gluten intolerant now!??!???!!?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tolkien minority posted:

I just checked and they have a celiac thing now. Turns out I have a gene for it. Am I.... gluten intolerant now!??!???!!?

You've just been given a very special gift: a scientifically-verified license to act like an irritating prick.

Epic Tane
Jan 15, 2017

by zen death robot
don't sell your dna to a corporation imo

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Epic Tane posted:

don't sell your dna to a corporation imo

We do that with pretty much all of our other information by breathing nowadays, why not?

Mnemosyne posted:

Are you only interested in meeting half-siblings, or are you interested in knowing who your bio parents are? If you want to know who your bio parents are, I can figure it out for you, using your Ancestry DNA test results.

Feel free to PM me about it.

I have exhausted myself going through 3rd cousins trees to find any commonality, if you think you could do something with the results that would be amazing. I don't have plat for pm, so I'll setup a burner when I get time.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 4, 2017

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.

I found out I was more white than I would like to be :ohdear:

at least it was all southern/iberian. also assuming the 5 percent unassigned is native american too

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Pretty much expected apart from the splash of Sard in me. I've heard the <0.1% unassigned part was put in there because all the white supremacists got really loving mad that they turned out to be 2% Jewish or Black or whatever lol. There are also stories of racist grandparents offing themselves after finding out their ancestry.

I also have a first cousin on the site who has only put up initials. Only one of my cousins has those initials and since the person who uploaded isn't in a sharing mood, I'm just gonna assume that one of my Uncles/Aunts was loving around and that person found out they were a bastard. Whatever.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mnemosyne posted:

Actually, the whiter you are, the more Neanderthal you likely have. Sub-Saharan Africans show the least Neanderthal interbreeding, so by ”pureblood,” you'd have to mean the blackest dude ever.

I'm not white dummy

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I have exhausted myself going through 3rd cousins trees to find any commonality, if you think you could do something with the results that would be amazing. I don't have plat for pm, so I'll setup a burner when I get time.

I do this all the time, so barring any circumstances where someone was adopted from a distant, non-English-speaking country (say, adoptions from Korea or Russia), I can do it.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I'm not white dummy

I just assumed, since most people who use the term pureblood are white. And goons are generally pretty white overall.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 4, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mnemosyne posted:

I just assumed, since most people who use the term pureblood are white. And goons are generally pretty white overall.

:thejoke:

(I don't mean that in a rude way btw)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mnemosyne posted:

I do this all the time, so barring any circumstances where someone was adopted from a distant, non-English-speaking country (say, adoptions from Korea or Russia), I can do it. . I'll edit the email out of the post later, once I know you got it.

Got it, thanks. I'll hyu in the next few days

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Sand Dan posted:

dude, that's really cool, it could be anything, Atlantian, Nephilim, Human/Grey Hybrid, Piltdown Man...

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Actually i'm p interested in the real weird categories, like is "unassigned' really because race realists couldn't take reality? What the gently caress does getting percentages in "no data available" mean?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Actually i'm p interested in the real weird categories, like is "unassigned' really because race realists couldn't take reality? What the gently caress does getting percentages in "no data available" mean?

I'd assume it means that the company only really reseaches genetics for white people

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah but aren't most of the genotypes basically figured out? Like Lb1 and all that poo poo? Does no data available mean you're possibly an xman with an undiscovered genetic marker?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If you do this can you get the results in the science form that doesn have items boiled down to "5% Scandinavian, 95% east Asian and/or native American"

Because that's a pretty big zone, like at least 2 1/2 continents worth

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My mom did one of these recently. She was adopted and wanted to find out more about her lineage. Her bio mom told her to expect lot's of Swedish, since that's where her family's from, so my mom was surprised to find no Swedish at all, and instead Norwegian, Finnish and British(Scotland and England). Apparently, bio grandma's family were all Finnish Swedes who mostly married other Finnish Swedes while they were in Sweden.

My mom is probably going to meet up with some half siblings on her bio dad's side, since she's been chatting with them through the Ancestry website.

I'll probably do one myself sometime, as I know nothing about my Opa, and my Oma claims her great grandfather was a Russian Count, so I'd like to see if the test shows any Russian.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't think I need one of these, I'm American so I don't need to prove jus sanguinis.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Barudak posted:

I don't think I need one of these, I'm American so I don't need to prove jus sanguinis.

this is the exact sort of talk of a terrorist isis alqaida............

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8ViYIeH04

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
This surely couldn't count as jus sanguis??? I thought you needed birth certificates and poo poo like that to prove it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Excuse me, Sweden, but you'll see that this service which is not approved to give medical information in your country and must be sold as an entertainment product proves without a doubt I am entitled to a minimum of 23% of citizenship.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Nessa posted:

My mom did one of these recently. She was adopted and wanted to find out more about her lineage. Her bio mom told her to expect lot's of Swedish, since that's where her family's from, so my mom was surprised to find no Swedish at all, and instead Norwegian, Finnish and British(Scotland and England). Apparently, bio grandma's family were all Finnish Swedes who mostly married other Finnish Swedes while they were in Sweden.

My mom is probably going to meet up with some half siblings on her bio dad's side, since she's been chatting with them through the Ancestry website.

I'll probably do one myself sometime, as I know nothing about my Opa, and my Oma claims her great grandfather was a Russian Count, so I'd like to see if the test shows any Russian.

better to lose your swedish identity early before their government makes it mandatory to kill off anyway

Cubone posted:

stfu

stfu

stfu

at first i was impressed that you took a class on genetics but now im curious if you just have your dna on their database or if you even also own shares in the company

if "our official policy is to protect your privacy" still means anything to you then don't worry the nsa doesn't exist and no corporations have been hacked ever, everythings fine

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

If you do this can you get the results in the science form that doesn have items boiled down to "5% Scandinavian, 95% east Asian and/or native American"

Because that's a pretty big zone, like at least 2 1/2 continents worth

Yeah, I don't imagine Yanomami, Mi'kmaq, and Korean people are one big monolithic, genetically indistinguishable group. Especially when they claim to be able to distinguish between English and Welsh.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

extra stout posted:

better to lose your swedish identity early before their government makes it mandatory to kill off anyway

at first i was impressed that you took a class on genetics but now im curious if you just have your dna on their database or if you even also own shares in the company

if "our official policy is to protect your privacy" still means anything to you then don't worry the nsa doesn't exist and no corporations have been hacked ever, everythings fine

stfu

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

everyoens born from cum, big whoop

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone who owes me a bunch of money and lewd acts recently did this actually and turns out they're 50% likely to get Alzheimer's.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
owes lewd acts, eh? imo you shouldn't predate, even if they won't remember it

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Trump tried to use this service but they told him he had to use 21andme :xd:

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 4, 2017

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

What's your problem

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.

Nessa posted:

hey that reminds me, my mom used to talk about this old picture she had in the house growing up of either her grandma or great grandma and a french man who married her. He was a fur trader that kidnapped and married some native woman and so supposedly I was part french, it was the one european thing i expected in my results but i got 0.0% french! my great great (great?) granny got some explaining to do. too bad my mom and everyone im related to on her side of the family is dead because they would have found that funny.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
to the people who think something sinister will be done with their data, what do you expect to happen? are they going to clone an identical twin of you to assassinate and replace you?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like to rat on myself by submitting my genetic information to a federal crime database and paying for the privilege

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

If you are worried about something sinister happening with your DNA but are still curious you could easily just submit with a fake name. Unless you are worried they are going to clone you I guess.

Somewhat related: when I was in primary school someone repeatedly broke in and burnt my classroom down. Then one day they took my class on a field trip to the police station where they took DNA swabs and fingerprints as part of 'a demonstration', then gave us a very brief tour. Only years later when someone reminded me about it did I realise it wasn't an innocent excursion. This was also a very low income school so it might have been unrelated to the fire and they were just collecting us all early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic Tane
Jan 15, 2017

by zen death robot

paul_soccer10 posted:

I like to rat on myself by submitting my genetic information to a federal crime database and paying for the privilege

Yeah, this. just lmao if you think the feds aren't taking samples to have your dna on file for possible crimes later

• Locked thread