Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

fishmech posted:

This has nothing to do with "the death of retail" this is about you being an rear end. Again, try doing that poo poo several decades back in the "height of retail" and the whole situation would be impossible what with the store simply not being open at such a time on a weekend morning.

Meijer has always been open 24 hours and I've been shopping there since it opened a couple decades ago. They've recently changed to this self - checkout only model at night. The grocery I used to work at in the mid 90s was also open 24 hours, hell I used to work front end at night sometimes.

Does being trolled by fishmech mean I finally belong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm most surprised at the "monthly" part of the story. How often do most people buy groceries?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Snorkzilla posted:

Meijer has always been open 24 hours and I've been shopping there since it opened a couple decades ago. They've recently changed to this self - checkout only model at night. The grocery I used to work at in the mid 90s was also open 24 hours, hell I used to work front end at night sometimes.

okay and this is a decision made by corporate and not by the employees working in the store at 6am that have to put up with people like you, my friend

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

boner confessor posted:

having worked in foodservice, it's never helpful to explain policy to customers as a method of explaining why the customer isn't going to get what they want

God, if we're talking foodservice even "we don't have the ingredients to make that thing you want that isn't on the menu" or "this is a Thai restaurant, we don't serve pizza" isn't enough for some people

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

He didn't have to "put up" with anything. He came to his station three times to reset the kiosk for me and I asked about getting a regular register. He said no and I told him my groceries would need put away since I was leaving. I know in your head you must be dreaming up temper tantrums and a get me your manager bitchfest but believe me I'm not that exciting.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my husband's store's corporate is giving them shifts before and after they open/close because they're like 'oh the reason you can't get stuff done is because there's customers around' and definitely not because they only give enough hours to schedule 2 or 3 people a shift for a store that's twice the size it used to be, with more customers!

just give them more hours so they can have 4 or 5 people a shift! jesus!

Snorkzilla posted:

He didn't have to "put up" with anything. He came to his station three times to reset the kiosk for me and I asked about getting a regular register. He said no and I told him my groceries would need put away since I was leaving. I know in your head you must be dreaming up temper tantrums and a get me your manager bitchfest but believe me I'm not that exciting.

Snorkzilla posted:

So I should have stayed ... getting more and more angry

:thunk:

snoo fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 4, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

I'm most surprised at the "monthly" part of the story. How often do most people buy groceries?

depends on how far you live from a grocery store but bimonthly shopping trips aren't uncommon, if it can take close to two hours to get to the store, shop, and go home

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

There's a regular supermarket, a Saturday farmers market, a halal grocery, a Thai/Phillippino grocery, and a small gourmet/local goods place within a five block radius of my house, as well as several mini-marts, 711s, drug stores and the like, so I just kinda go whenever I need something :shrug:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

The suggestion here is that Snorkzilla doesn't want to deal with the impending frustration of scanning a lot of groceries on a self-scan machine, not that they were furious in the moment itself. You're inventing your own story to be angry about, don't be a prong.

Baronjutter posted:

I know a lot of people who do one really big shopping trip once a month for big basics and then do more basic day-to-day shopping as it becomes necessary.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

If you have a full cart the scale hits it's maximum and then the entire system goes gently caress.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
His anger is 100% internal.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Snoo posted:

just give them more hours so they can have 4 or 5 people a shift! jesus!
:thunk:

But, benefits and overtime scream the manager.

Even when outright losing employees (say to a home improvement warehouse that offers those things), to the point of the department failing. But that's the leads problem not mine he thinks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Snorkzilla posted:

So you've been shopping there for 20 years, yet somehow this massive change in how they handle early mornings took you by surprise and you also assume it must have been the same 40 years ago as it was 20 years ago? Sounds like you're lying about at least one thing here, if not several things. Clearly if this is a place you go to frequently you should have known the store usually doesn't have lines open anymore.

You're only trolling yourself by continuing to reveal you're an overentitled prick.

Snorkzilla posted:

He had to put up with pulling your cart full of groceries you abandoned over to wherever his store chooses to hold them, dude.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The suggestion here is that Snorkzilla doesn't want to deal with the impending frustration of scanning a lot of groceries on a self-scan machine, not that they were furious in the moment itself. You're inventing your own story to be angry about, don't be a prong.

Dude was so furious about it he came on here at least several hours later to complain about it and attribute it as a cause for retail stores dying dude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

Yup you sure did get me good fishmech.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

fishmech posted:

Dude was so furious about it he came on here at least several hours later to complain about it and attribute it as a cause for retail stores dying dude.

Weird of him to post a recent retail experience in a thread about retail.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Weird of him to post a recent retail experience in a thread about retail.

That experience being "I had unreasonable demands of the cashier, this is why retail is dying".

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

fishmech posted:

You're only trolling yourself by continuing to reveal you're an overentitled prick.

Almost everybody is in a pressure cooker right now. It's not just retail. People get upset at what is in front of them not the underlying problems that are actually causing them stress. I'm starting to see people blowing up way, way, back into the bowels of a couple supply chains.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Whoa, a butt load of new posts, retail must’ve imploded.

Oh...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

fishmech posted:

That experience being "I had unreasonable demands of the cashier, this is why retail is dying".

"I would like to shop during business hours, but limited operation due to retail cutbacks made it impractical" woah this guy sounds like a sociopath

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This thread is now reminding me of the retail stories thread, which I stopped following a year or two ago because it was super depressing and I wanted to stop thinking about what my life was like back when I still worked retail for a "living."

So please, leave that thread to its devices and talk about more substantive issues than what you should expect at a super market at 6 AM, which is a pretty obvious answer to anyone who's not a mentally ill goony goon goonlord.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
We did have a middle aged lady come into my safeway about once a month at about 3am to do her shopping, she was super ocd, wore disposable gloves and had stuff split into like 30 paper bags and took a couple hours to fill her cart. The scots are shut down over ight though so one of the night crew had to be in the checkstand that whole time. I felt sorry for her, that's pretty debilitating.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I've done plenty of grocery shopping at the crack of dawn with actual cashier service, but I also come from a community that gets up early to be productive so maybe it's just a difference of work ethic.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've done plenty of grocery shopping at the crack of dawn with actual cashier service, but I also come from a community that gets up early to be productive so maybe it's just a difference of work ethic.

That was a beautifully crafted goon trap.

This thread can't get any worse, so why not.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Motronic posted:

That was a beautifully crafted goon trap.

This thread can't get any worse, so why not.

I mean, if you want to lie in bed all morning covered in last night's jizz and ramen dust, that's your call. :shrug:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Magic Hate Ball posted:

:same:

Except I think it's massive stimulant abuse in the case of my community.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Snorkzilla posted:

So I should have stayed and what? Spent an hour at that stupid scanner getting more and more angry? I wasn't given any other options so I left. I really don't put up with crap and try to avoid getting my blood pressure up over something I have no control over.

An hour to use the self checkout tills? Really? Those things are designed to be idiot proof. If it takes you that long to use them the problem is probably with you.

How long did you spend driving to another grocery store, going in, and picking out a whole new grocery shop of goods? I'd wager that easily took longer than the five minutes (at most) that it would have taken to use the self checkout tills. So you managed to both waste your own time, as well as poo poo on some poor minimum wage employee's day, with your little tantrum.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Snorkzilla posted:

No but it does mean the effectiveness of the ignore function is diminished. Friends don’t let friends read fishmech.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

JnnyThndrs posted:

:same:

Except I think it's massive stimulant abuse in the case of my community.

I definitely used to go to Foodsco before classes in college and there'd be plenty of people. Maybe it was a farmer town thing - I remember getting up early on schoolnight sleepovers when I was a kid so my friend's mom could take us to the grocery store before dropping us off and it was always a big deal because they had an in-house Mexican bakery that made awesome conchas. But I've also stopped in at the Safeway here to get goodies before a road trip just as early and there was a dedicated cashier, though Snorkzilla said they were shopping at Meijer, which is a midwestern chain so this could just be a regional thing.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 4, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"I would like to shop during business hours, but limited operation due to retail cutbacks made it impractical" woah this guy sounds like a sociopath

The normal business hours of the store are during the day. The poster deliberately avoids the normal business hours because he "doesn't want to be around people". Then he gets mad that when he goes when no one else goes, it's staffed for nobody else to be going, and he refuses to use the self-checkout instead just because.

Also it's not "retail cutbacks" it's simple normal retail practice in most of the country - and that's with America being one of the countries that keeps stores open the longest.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Whoa, a butt load of new posts, retail must’ve imploded.

Oh...

I'm watching to see if Sears or JCPenney's will be first to reach $0.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Horseshoe theory posted:

I'm watching to see if Sears or JCPenney's will be first to reach $0.
I'm amazed every time I remember Kmart is still hanging on somehow

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Snorkzilla posted:

If you really did work at a grocery store in the past then I don't know how you can possibly not see how dumb you were in this situation and why what you were demanding was extremely unreasonable (and probably even infeasible).

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I don't know how I can make it any more clear that their checkout wasn't working properly. And that the guy who is paid to attend it didn't really want to focus on helping me get through whatever the problem was with the scale.

E: this is my last post in the subject, I'm just being argued with by people with low reading comprehension skills or trolls. This is my angry storm out that you've all been hoping actually happened. *swaggers hips while walking out *

EdwardSwifferhands fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 4, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Did you buy any corn on the cob?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Snorkzilla posted:

I don't know how I can make it any more clear that their checkout wasn't working properly. And that the guy who is paid to attend it didn't really want to focus on helping me get through whatever the problem was with the scale.

E: this is my last post in the subject, I'm just being argued with by people with low reading comprehension skills or trolls. This is my angry storm out that you've all been hoping actually happened. *swaggers hips while walking out *

So why didn't you switch to another self-checkout machine in the first place? Or you know, brush it off and maybe lift up the weighing table bit to reseat it (something you would know about if you actually did work checkout in the past as you claimed).

Anyway looking forward to your next post about how when you tried to walk into the next supermarket over at 4 am on Sunday the cahsier running the line they have open over there yawned too much.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Crow Jane posted:

I'm amazed every time I remember Kmart is still hanging on somehow

Ok going to use this as a moment to post something reverent to the topic of retail.

18 Sears and 45 Kmart more stores are being closed early next year.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sears-restructuring/sears-to-close-63-more-u-s-stores-after-holiday-season-idUSKBN1D32HA

After 101 years Whirlpool has ceased to supply Sear with its appliances to sell.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/10/24/why-sears-ended-a-century-old-partnership-with-whirlpool/?utm_term=.c9a2698b128b

LG Electronics and Samsung are demanding cash up front for delivery of certain goods.

Levi jeans have ceased supplying to Sears.

LOL Surprise. Apparently the hottest children's toy (wow I'm old) refuses to provide many to Sears due to fears it can't pay.

https://www.axios.com/sears-suppliers-revolt-hastening-its-decline-2504915051.html

Sears borrowed 100 million in early October with an additional 100 million available if needed. They tapped 40 million of that on October 18 and the remaining 60 million on the 25th for a total of 200 million in October alone.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-sears-third-loan-edward-lampert-20171030-story.html

Lastly: Everything and I mean everything is 50% off at Sears and 40% off at Kmart until after Black Friday. As it tries to make some money.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/01/news/companies/sears-kmart-holiday-sales/index.html

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

OhFunny posted:

Lastly: Everything and I mean everything is 50% off at Sears and 40% off at Kmart until after Black Friday. As it tries to make some money.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/01/news/companies/sears-kmart-holiday-sales/index.html

What's wrong with making literally everything into a loss leader? :downs:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

Through Thanksgiving weekend, Sears will offer up to 50% off everything and Kmart will offer up to 40% off everything.

That “up to” part makes it meaningless unfortunately. Make a single candy bar 2 for 1 and you’re covered.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I didn't realize how entertaining this thread was, thank you goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://www.axios.com/an-unanswered-conundrum-why-are-employers-not-raising-wages-2505931443.html?utm_medium=linkshare&utm_campaign=organic