Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

MightyJoe36 posted:

The whole "work as family" thing is a pet peeve I guess. Maybe because it's all such bullshit - "we're all family" but when it comes down to it, your desk is a more valuable resource than you are in that when it's time to make cuts, they'll can your rear end in a heartbeat before they'll start selling off furniture.

I feel like everybody grew up watching M*A*S*H* or something where they think everybody works together and lives together and we're all this big village of people working together or something.

It's not that I actively dislike my co-workers, I just don't really like very many of them all that much and would rather just come in and do my job for the 8 lovely hours I have to be there and not have to act like it's my Home Away from Home and we're all great friends.

tl:dr: Don't make me act like I enjoy being here.

I actually like the work I do, and in another time, there was room for growth here. And it's not the company but my actual boss and my actual department. Other employees have freedom to come and go as they please, work from home, have off-hours, etc., as long as they get their work done. My boss throws a hissy fit if you choose to work in the (quieter) cafeteria rather than at your desk, outside of your designated remote day. We have generous vacation hours, but I won't be taking all of mine because she won't approve it. Her dog died yesterday and she left it on the floor while she took a call she didn't need to be on. When her daughter came in after finding the dog, distraught, my boss told her to leave her alone, she's on a call. Her husband went to the ER recently and her response was not to leave work, but "it's fine, I'll check on him after, he's done this before." She's a goddamn sociopath and I hope she doesn't expect us to act that way because the minute one of my loved ones is in trouble I'm leaving to take care of business, and if she gives me poo poo for it I'm going straight to HR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hate how lovely young people job apps/interviews require you to pretend that you're hella enthusiastic about x company. I'm not a good fit for Burger Shack or Clothing Outlet, and I'm not excited to work there, and the manager knows that a bunch of high school and college students do not want to work this lovely low wage job with poo poo hours. "I really need a job, I'll show up, I'm not an idiot" should really be the only thing you need to say. No one buys into the charade.
I always wonder who is it that buys into those. Someone's putting them on the job apps.

Maybe it's just there to find out if you're smart enough to lie about being enthusiastic about the lovely job.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IronicDongz posted:

I always wonder who is it that buys into those. Someone's putting them on the job apps.

Maybe it's just there to find out if you're smart enough to lie about being enthusiastic about the lovely job.

Honestly right now is the best time to apply to those jobs because they'll hire everyone who can fog a mirror. Come January they cut all the chaff, and if you can show up on time, and can tie your own shoes, they'll keep you.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Parasol Prophet posted:

"What made you want to work for our company?"

"...Yours was the first one to call me..?"

I am extremely enthusiastic about continuing to eat regular meals and sleep indoors.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Parasol Prophet posted:

"What made you want to work for our company?"

As a contractor, I've had this question asked, which is particularly bizarre. It's like calling a plumber and at the door asking "So, why do you want to fix my leaky pipe?"

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I went to the bank yesterday to deposit a check. It's a large branch with a big open floor space between the door and the counter, and a few desks for bankers on either side. I was in a hurry so I walked straight to the little table to fill out a deposit slip.

"Hi, welcome in!" said a very cheery teller from clear across the room, so far she was almost yelling.

"Hi, welcome to Chase!" said the other surprisingly cheery teller - despite the fact that she was assisting another customer. I found that very strange. I kinda waved acknowledgement and started to fill out the slip.

Not five seconds later, a shadow appeared out of the corner of my eye - the only banker on duty had come over from his desk and was standing right next to me. "Hi, welcome to Chase. Is there anything I can help you with?" I looked up at him, then slowly back down to my really obvious mundane banking chore, then back to him. "Nope, I'm fine, thanks." "Okay great well my name's Dave, just let me know if you have any questions!"

Alright, so clearly some dickhead higher-up at Chase has pushed through a ridiculous customer service initiative, probably with an offensively nondescript name like "Total Customer Experience" or "Ten Thousand Smiles" or something. I can't stand this cargo-cult customer service bullshit. A branch of a faceless international banking empire is not a neighborhood florist shop, for gently caress's sake, and it makes me kind of uncomfortable to be enthusiastically greeted by literally every employee in the room within thirty seconds. You know what would really make me happy? The normal number of greetings, and actual good service! Christ.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That reminds me of the seinfeld episode where the bank employees have to say "hello" or you get 100 dollars.

It is one of those things that is especially annoying because you can't rightfully get annoyed at them for it because they'll get reprimanded and/or fired if they rebel against the stupid corporate rules that no employee or customer actually likes. Like with places like Moe's or any of the other "hip" chains that force them all to yell out "welcome to _____", it just makes me want to go somewhere else since you hear it every single time someone walks in the door.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
are they just copying sushi restaurants or did it start somewhere else?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It is one of those things that is especially annoying because you can't rightfully get annoyed at them for it because they'll get reprimanded and/or fired if they rebel against the stupid corporate rules that no employee or customer actually likes.
Some people actually do like that stuff though. I used to conduct customer feedback surveys for a bank, and you would be amazed how many people think the bank staff know and care about them. And massively underestimate how many customers each staff member deals with, as well. More recently I've participated in customer feedback forums for the bank I use and you see the same thing. People love how friendly the staff are and how the bank really cares about them.

To some of us that stuff is incredibly obnoxious. To others it's successfully giving the impression that the faceless corporation likes you as a person and only employs the nicest, friendliest people on the planet. Basically, they all do it because it's working.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Stoatbringer posted:

As a contractor, I've had this question asked, which is particularly bizarre. It's like calling a plumber and at the door asking "So, why do you want to fix my leaky pipe?"

I was just a contractor/temp for almost two years. It was nice when one company just stopped interviewing me altogether because I'd already done three stints in three different departments for them. "I'm here because I want you to goddamn hire me already and you clearly like my work, dear God please end this uncertainty" was probably all over my face by then anyway.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What's with describing product's color with "colorway" instead of just saying color?

I think a few years ago a bag or shoe would be advertised as available in 3 color choices. And now everyone says 3 colorways.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Never encountered that, but the reason is marketing. Who wants boring rear end color when you can have new and exiting colorway.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I always assumed "colorway" was just a shorter word for "color combination," because I only ever saw it used for items that had one main color and different ones for trim, interior, etc. So the blue bag with gray trim and silver hardware is the blue colorway, orange with brown and gold is orange colorway.

Especially for items with patterns on them, so you don't have to go "orange with brown, green, and red flowers" and so on.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Brawnfire posted:

Knit fabrics getting caught on protrusions as you walk past, leading to a tear or pulling your garment off or just pulling you the gently caress off your feet and onto your rear end like a moron.

This was a few pages back but I fuckin' hate this. I have a really cool T-shirt that was a gift from a patient on my last clinical affiliation before I graduated, and it has a hole in the side because it got caught on a door handle the first time I wore it.

I still wear it to the gym and stuff but it would be nice if I could get it fixed in a way that made it look not stupid.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That reminds me of the seinfeld episode where the bank employees have to say "hello" or you get 100 dollars.

It is one of those things that is especially annoying because you can't rightfully get annoyed at them for it because they'll get reprimanded and/or fired if they rebel against the stupid corporate rules that no employee or customer actually likes. Like with places like Moe's or any of the other "hip" chains that force them all to yell out "welcome to _____", it just makes me want to go somewhere else since you hear it every single time someone walks in the door.

I... Moe's Southwest Grill? I've literally never even been acknowledged at my local Moe's unless I said hello first.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I always felt bad for the workers at Cold Stone Creamery because of how they have to talk to people

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I... Moe's Southwest Grill? I've literally never even been acknowledged at my local Moe's unless I said hello first.

Every single one I've ever been to they force their employees to yell out "welcome to moe's" every time someone steps through the door. Maybe they did away with it because it was loving annoying, i haven't been there for around 5 or 6 years.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Every single one I've ever been to they force their employees to yell out "welcome to moe's" every time someone steps through the door. Maybe they did away with it because it was loving annoying, i haven't been there for around 5 or 6 years.

Yeah, I live in eastern Mass, south of Boston, and I don't think that hyper-aggressive fake friendliness in customer service goes over very well with people here. And gently caress Cold Stone. I've never even been inside one. gently caress outta here with that twee goddamn horseshit.

The corporate suits don't seem to realize that what people want is to be treated like human beings. Whatever you're selling, I don't need it badly enough that I'm going to subject myself to weird, off-putting pageantry because your corporate office decided that being "quirky" was a great idea.

Imagine if they did that in other industries. Would you put up with an accountant who sang a goofy little song while he did your taxes?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I don't like when shops put interesting stuff in/near the queue part, not just like sweets and batteries, so I'm still browsing but it looks like I'm queuing but I'm not yet and have to say that to every person coming through

I know they want to catch impulse buys but not going to buy any of it if I'm being pushed towards the till by people coming behind me!!!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I went to an expensive ramen restaurant (in the USA) and whenever people were seated all the cooks would yell out "IRASHAIIIIII!"

Really obnoxious but all the white patrons loved it

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I always felt bad for the workers at Cold Stone Creamery because of how they have to talk to people

How do they have to talk to people?

I've mentioned before in this very thread, but when I worked in a restaurant/cafe, I was reprimanded more than once for not going and having full-on conversations with people. During their meals. While they were eating. I didn't want to do it, the customers didn't want to do it, so whenever I could I'd just tell the boss I'd totally done it but he just mustn't have been looking at the time. That was the worst job I've ever had and hopefully ever will. Hospitality is infinitely worse than retail.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Whitlam posted:

I've mentioned before in this very thread, but when I worked in a restaurant/cafe, I was reprimanded more than once for not going and having full-on conversations with people. During their meals. While they were eating. I didn't want to do it, the customers didn't want to do it, so whenever I could I'd just tell the boss I'd totally done it but he just mustn't have been looking at the time. That was the worst job I've ever had and hopefully ever will. Hospitality is infinitely worse than retail.

It’s been a while since I’ve been to one but they have to sing if you tip them. Also the flavor and size names are soul crushing to say out loud.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

walrusman posted:

I went to the bank yesterday to deposit a check. It's a large branch with a big open floor space between the door and the counter, and a few desks for bankers on either side. I was in a hurry so I walked straight to the little table to fill out a deposit slip.

"Hi, welcome in!" said a very cheery teller from clear across the room, so far she was almost yelling.

"Hi, welcome to Chase!" said the other surprisingly cheery teller - despite the fact that she was assisting another customer. I found that very strange. I kinda waved acknowledgement and started to fill out the slip.

Not five seconds later, a shadow appeared out of the corner of my eye - the only banker on duty had come over from his desk and was standing right next to me. "Hi, welcome to Chase. Is there anything I can help you with?" I looked up at him, then slowly back down to my really obvious mundane banking chore, then back to him. "Nope, I'm fine, thanks." "Okay great well my name's Dave, just let me know if you have any questions!"

Alright, so clearly some dickhead higher-up at Chase has pushed through a ridiculous customer service initiative, probably with an offensively nondescript name like "Total Customer Experience" or "Ten Thousand Smiles" or something. I can't stand this cargo-cult customer service bullshit. A branch of a faceless international banking empire is not a neighborhood florist shop, for gently caress's sake, and it makes me kind of uncomfortable to be enthusiastically greeted by literally every employee in the room within thirty seconds. You know what would really make me happy? The normal number of greetings, and actual good service! Christ.

Good Lord, the Kroger near me started doing this a while back. Got on my nerves so much I almost quit going there. I mustn't have been the only one annoyed by it because they stopped doing it. Thank God!

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

YouTube video sounds levels. I'm always using earbuds so there's some degree of annoyance when someone uses INCREASED VOLUME for emphasis, laughs loud enough to cause distortion (or whatever it is) or suddenly shouts into the microphone for reasons you don't know because they're barely audible at max volume the rest of the time.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hate how lovely young people job apps/interviews require you to pretend that you're hella enthusiastic about x company. I'm not a good fit for Burger Shack or Clothing Outlet, and I'm not excited to work there, and the manager knows that a bunch of high school and college students do not want to work this lovely low wage job with poo poo hours. "I really need a job, I'll show up, I'm not an idiot" should really be the only thing you need to say. No one buys into the charade.

This. Ditto with "passion". The thing with passion and the kind of work I apply for is you'd have to be pathetically sad to have it and incredibly lazy to need it. I once saw a job that asked for a school leaver with a passion for lettings. WTF?!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love that the workers at the Moe's I usually stop at are all like "WEKONAMOS!!!" the moment they see anyone, and I just shout it right back at them when I'm the one coming in. Got a volley going one time, just back and forth until eventually we both were like "we should probably start the order, huh"

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Brawnfire posted:

"WEKOMANOS!!!"

Is this code or something?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

doverhog posted:

Is this code or something?
The WEKONAMOS code? Up up down down left right left right B A select start.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Whitlam posted:

Ugh, this. Ditto when the server comes back to ask how everything is so fast that I’ve got a mouthful of my first loving bite. I’d happily go to a restaurant or retail place where the staff just hangs out and chats among themselves until I raise a number or something to signify I want to order/need something.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Isn't there a restaurant that advertises itself as actually being outright rude to you? I swear my sister mentioned that when she went to Vegas.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Intoluene posted:

Isn't there a restaurant that advertises itself as actually being outright rude to you? I swear my sister mentioned that when she went to Vegas.

Dick’s Last Resort and Ed Debevic’s

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Place I’m at atm had the server and two managers come over and ask if everything was good within five or ten minutes. Christ, go away!!

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Dick’s Last Resort and Ed Debevic’s

Thanks. Dick's Last Resort is the one I was thinking of.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Place I’m at atm had the server and two managers come over and ask if everything was good within five or ten minutes. Christ, go away!!

Last time I went to outback in my hometown there were two different managers that came to check on us. This doesn't make me feel valued, it signals to me that you guy seriously hosed up recently and are in damage control and make me start wondering about the food i'm eating.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also the flavor and size names are soul crushing to say out loud.

God, yes, places with cutesy names for their food or portion sizes, yes, including coffee places, I would like a large coffee, not a 'Grande' one, thank you.

Also I would like to not pay six bucks for said cup of coffee but that's a whole other battle.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

docbeard posted:

God, yes, places with cutesy names for their food or portion sizes, yes, including coffee places, I would like a large coffee, not a 'Grande' one, thank you.

Also I would like to not pay six bucks for said cup of coffee but that's a whole other battle.

It really infuriates me when they get insistent about that stuff. Like I say "can i get a medium latte" or whatever they'll be like "oh you mean a grande?". No, I mean the middle size, I don't want to say your bullshit word.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
My pet peeve is when people want to complain about coffee prices at coffee shops by saying "A cup of coffee for six dollars!! That's crazy!", when most coffee shops sell brewed or drip coffee for two dollars, which isn't that different from buying coffee at Denny's. 'Coffee' and Caramel Lattes are different drinks.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
My current job makes everyone watch this video during training; upon completion the trainer turns to the trainee and tells them to not do that poo poo. It’s in there because the manager is an insane person and the only one who acts like that.

I love workplace training videos but it’s an unethical love. Sorry people who have to watch them!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My favorite corporate training video i had to sit through was definitely this: https://youtu.be/dla9oRbNB4E

After like an hour of lessons of how to recognize counter intelligence operatives and what would happen to you if you brought a cell phone to work it was a jarring but hilarious transition.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
My pet peeve is being at Wal-mart checking my bags. I just ignore them and walk past until one lady actually placed her hand on my shoulder - after knocking it off and pushing her back i kept going. Nothing gives you the right to touch me and nothing gives you the right to search my property, no matter of Wal-mart policy can be used over the charter of rights (Canadian here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is the worst. And how do they manage to time it so they come over and ask just as you've taken a big bite of your food?