Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Carbohydrates posted:

Things would be so much easier if this connection was legal. LEGO needs to make a 1 x 1 brick with just an antistud.

What makes it an illegal connection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Holes in the sides of technic bricks aren't technically "lego system" so I think lego won't allow sets that put studs in those holes.

Even though it works just fine.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are sets where Lego puts studs in those holes so they must be legal.

http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/4534534.pdf

Step 41.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 2, 2017

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

There are sets where Lego puts studs in those holes so they must be legal.

http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/4534534.pdf

Step 41.

http://bramlambrecht.com/tmp/jamieberard-brickstress-bf06.pdf

"Technically legal so long as no additional elements are connected across the top or bottom", which is definitely the case in that example.

the issue is not the stud in the hole, it's that the hole in the technic brick is slightly different than height of the stud on the various non-technic headlight/snot pieces.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Technically, a single stud into the side of a technic brick is legal, as long as plates don't span the top or bottom of the connection. Two studs from the same piece into the side is illegal, because the holes are fractionally smaller than System, so it stresses the piece.

Edit-drat, should've refreshed.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Lego assembly lawyers...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not sure anyone actually cares about "legality," it's just the term used to describe whether lego would sell a set with that connection or not.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
RPGs have people called rules lawyers. I was making a dumb joke.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mr. Glass posted:

"Technically legal so long as no additional elements are connected across the top or bottom", which is definitely the case in that example.

the issue is not the stud in the hole, it's that the hole in the technic brick is slightly different than height of the stud on the various non-technic headlight/snot pieces.

I wonder if the updated version of this presentation includes the desk in the Ghostbusters firehouse as another illegal connection that made it into production.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Nth Doctor posted:

I wonder if the updated version of this presentation includes the desk in the Ghostbusters firehouse as another illegal connection that made it into production.

The flag for the Saturn V does this too though...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clear sign that lego is in trouble! Sell sell sell!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Big Lots got in these insane fake lego sets. they're like Creator/mixel sets, but jacked up. You get 4+ kits, that all change into three different things (Like, dino, robot, and space ship), then you can combine all of those kits into something big. Being fake lego, they're crap, but I'm going to try to scan the instructions on the Dino kit I picked up, as they have some complicated builds, using some more modern pieces.

I really wish I didn't have a weak spot for those stupid looking T-rex kits: Just look at that stupid mother fucker

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Steal the instruction books and make them out of lego. :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just finished up my F40 and it was pretty amazing. The techniques used to get some of the shapes are insane.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Anora posted:

Big Lots got in these insane fake lego sets. they're like Creator/mixel sets, but jacked up. You get 4+ kits, that all change into three different things (Like, dino, robot, and space ship), then you can combine all of those kits into something big. Being fake lego, they're crap, but I'm going to try to scan the instructions on the Dino kit I picked up, as they have some complicated builds, using some more modern pieces.

I really wish I didn't have a weak spot for those stupid looking T-rex kits: Just look at that stupid mother fucker

But they have the Fast and the Furious license!

Love their knock off superheroes though:

https://www.amazon.com/Block-Tech-Super-Heros/dp/B01M07EQMV/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1509666979&sr=8-7&keywords=block+tech

Falcon Man! Metal Man! Red Beast! Black Dahlia!

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Ineptitude posted:

I loved these as a kid. Its like the universal piece for any kind of gadget, tool, weapon, spaceship gun, etc. A shame they stopped (?) using them.
Also acts as a decent SNOT piece.

I love those bits too! Lego definitely still makes them. A quick search tells me they're in 19 sets from 2017, and a further 23 from 2016. That said, I can understand how they are easy to miss, since they're good SNOT pieces and so are often hidden. Also, back in the day they were predominantly in Space sets, and Lego hasn't made non-Star Wars Space for a very long time.

Nth Doctor posted:

I was going to say that that style of connection was quite common in 1970's sets, but apparently it was covered in the presentation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I didn't sit down tonight with the intention of making a monster truck Veyron, but sometimes the bricks slot in and you gotta roll with it.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

xzzy posted:

I didn't sit down tonight with the intention of making a monster truck Veyron, but sometimes the bricks slot in and you gotta roll with it.

That's pretty great.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Heh, roll

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Anora posted:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I've always been tempted to get some of that particular knock off brand just to get some of their light up bricks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

LOL

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have many questions

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
It's a Psychedelisaurus.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

xzzy posted:

Steal the instruction books and make them out of lego. :v:

That's basically what I'm doing, but on the up & up.

Glorious.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
December 8-10 is Double VIP. Along with the upcoming BF weekend and the Sat/Sun before BF. So three chances in the next 2 months.
Also, they are giving away a mini London bus in December. Same week as double VIP. It looks a lot like the full build. Measurements look like about 4x12x6. So it's a decent size.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’m assuming it’s this London Bus? They’ve released it before as a freebie when the big version came out, and it’s been for sale over here in the UK.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yep, that's it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

I’m assuming it’s this London Bus? They’ve released it before as a freebie when the big version came out, and it’s been for sale over here in the UK.

This is a pretty decent kit, I bought it at the Leicester Square store earlier this summer.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Look who showed up today! Thanks Doc

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Got mine, too! Thanks much!

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
So, exactly how much of a crazy person would I have to be to one-pile this motherfucker?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Judging from the background... you're gonna do it anyway

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

Those are all pretty small sets though. I've one-piled everything except the Porsche 911, but this might be a bit too much!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
You'd need a football field to knoll all the pieces.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Do it in a dust free environment while wearing rubber gloves. Try to do it as pristine as possible. Do all the stickers perfectly, too. Or just sell it on craigslist.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

deoju posted:

You'd need a football field to knoll all the pieces.

I was going to, but forgot to say, "which is worse, one pile build, or knolling all the pieces first?"

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Knolling is the worst

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like it for smaller sets. I did it for the F40 and just barely had enough room. It takes a while to do, but makes the build so much nicer because I can just grab pieces instead of searching in a pile or through a container.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

See I kinda dig the search. I find it peaceful in a way. It's just that the part count is insane, and they're all grey. That said, it can't be as bad as the Tumbler. All black was a nightmare.

I might just go a box at a time or something? Need to figure out where I'm gonna put it too.