Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Night Guy owned (especially in UNS4) and if Kaguya was a thing that was going to happen then Madara getting wrecked by it should have been the impetus for her appearance. It being a big fat nothing instead was just such a disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I thought the final fight was Naruto vs Sasuke.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought the final fight was Naruto vs Sasuke.

kaguya was the final boss but naruto fought sasuke afterwards as the cap to their (dumb, bad) arc

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The anime and game versions of that fight are really good.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

kaguya was the final boss but naruto fought sasuke afterwards as the cap to their (dumb, bad) arc

everything about that fight is good though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

The anime and game versions of that fight are really good.

Fights in general are one of the few things the Naruto anime did better than the manga IMO, and the last one was particularly well done, even going so far as to give some kind of logical reason why Naruto and Sasuke could be considered friends.

In fact, unlike One Piece the only real advantage the Naruto manga had over the anime was the lack of excessive filler, which for some reason continued to be a thing in the series even after the manga had already finished and there was nothing to risk catching up to anymore.

But yeah, in regards to that series I'd agree that the games are probably the best way to experience the story (it helps that they're all pretty fun to play as well too).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 4, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Fights in general are one of the few things the Naruto anime did better than the manga IMO, and the last one was particularly well done, even going so far as to give some kind of logical reason why Naruto and Sasuke could be considered friends.

In fact, unlike One Piece the only real advantage the Naruto manga had over the anime was the lack of excessive filler, which for some reason continued to be a thing in the series even after the manga had already finished and there was nothing to risk catching up to anymore.

But yeah, in regards to that series I'd agree that the games are probably the best way to experience the story (it helps that they're all pretty fun to play as well too).

Which games? There’s a shitload.

I know that Rise of a Ninja and The Broken Bond, the two that cover the pre-Shippuden material, we’re fairly decent.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Which games? There’s a shitload.

I know that Rise of a Ninja and The Broken Bond, the two that cover the pre-Shippuden material, we’re fairly decent.

The Ultimate Ninja Storm games specifically (from 2 onward that is, the first one has barely any story content at all).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 4, 2017

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Larryb posted:

Yep, Luffy and Krillin share a voice actress as well.

When I was looking at the dub voice actors I wasn't surprised to find out that the guy who does Zoro did Piccolo, but I was shocked that he also does Vegeta and Kuwabara. I never would have believed it as a kid.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

When I was looking at the dub voice actors I wasn't surprised to find out that the guy who does Zoro did Piccolo, but I was shocked that he also does Vegeta and Kuwabara. I never would have believed it as a kid.

Are you talking about the English actor for Zoro or the Japanese?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Sabat

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah of course, don't remember if any of the primary Japanese cast has done anything noteworthy aside from Luffy and Chopper though (the young version of Sabo was played by the same woman who voices Naruto however).

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sabat is probably my favorite dub va of all time

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

mines ben diskin

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Sabat is probably one of the most recognizable English VAs, mostly because he's had at least one role in what feels like every conventionally popular shounen for the last two decades.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Mine is probably Chris Patton.

Also Ian Sinclair, regardless of hs VA quality, is an insanely likeable and funny guy.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

JahRoo posted:

Sabat is probably one of the most recognizable English VAs, mostly because he's had at least one role in what feels like every conventionally popular shounen for the last two decades.

i really like his zoro!!! and yeah, this is true. also his all might is super good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

His lanky All Might is loving amazing but I don't like his buff All Might that much tbh.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

German Joey posted:

This!! One Piece is just too awesome for such a long a period of time to say its anything but the best. But those last few arcs near the end of Toriko though... man, those last 100 chapters of Toriko might be the greatest 100 chapters of any shonen ever. It was magical... all so freaking crazy and hilarious, and yet, by its own internal logic, it somehow all made complete sense.

Thank you Joey you are a man of culture unlike the cretins itt

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Larryb posted:

Ah of course, don't remember if any of the primary Japanese cast has done anything noteworthy aside from Luffy and Chopper though (the young version of Sabo was played by the same woman who voices Naruto however).
I think Luffy is Krillin's VA.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Toriko's penultimate chapter was perfect, a loving moving masterpiece that took you down on a trip of every adventure the gang had been on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nessus posted:

I think Luffy is Krillin's VA.

I know, I said aside from Luffy (Krillin) and Chopper (Pikachu).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Toriko's penultimate chapter was perfect, a loving moving masterpiece that took you down on a trip of every adventure the gang had been on.

Agreed. The only way One Piece could try to top that is with a 100+ page chapter (or hell, an entire volume) that looks back on every person and place the Strawhat crew met and went to throughout the whole series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Agreed. The only way One Piece could try to top that is with a 100+ page chapter (or hell, an entire volume) that looks back on every person and place the Strawhat crew met and went to throughout the whole series.

A "where are they now" montage of every major person the crew encountered could be neat, especially since it's likely we're probably not going to see a lot of them again aside from maybe a brief cameo or two. Though with the Reverie coming up there's a good chance that Vivi at least might be reentering the picture again for a bit even if she likely isn't joining the crew (she's a named character who can fight and is on good terms with the Strawhats after all).

In fact, as much as I like Vivi as a character I actually kind of hope she doesn't join now. WIth Jinbei as helmsman and an entire armada backing them up I think the Strawhat crew is more or less complete now and we don't really need any more members (aside from maybe Carrot depending on how the current arc turns out).

On the other hand, the crew teaming up with every living character who's ever traveled with/fought alongside them for whatever the final battle winds up being might be cool. It would basically amount to a good chunk of the world (including a few heads of state and Marines) essentially raising a giant middle finger in the direction of the WG.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 5, 2017

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

JahRoo posted:

That's cause he owns the studio Funimation uses for most of it's dubbing

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tarodia posted:

That's cause he owns the studio Funimation uses for most of it's dubbing

haha really

its a good thing hes legitimately a really great va

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Okay fine I'll read Toriko

Or is the anime worth watching?

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 5, 2017

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sub Harrison posted:

Okay fine I'll read Toriko

Or is the anime worth watching?

No, read the manga, the anime veers off into a weird tangent and ending.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
They also added product placement and a ~cute girl narrator~ who has wacky hijinks as filler in nearly every episode. The toriko anime was real bad

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
At least the opening was good?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Some of the themes were great, the actual content was great, but half of the anime is filler and I want to die

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The only thing worth watching in the anime is the old dude talking about legendary food after the intro

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nuebot posted:

I'm actually re-reading Zatch Bell right now and it's still as great as the first time. I love how the series just steadily gets more serious and dark but never loses the charm. However there are a few scenes you absolutely should watch in the anime. Mild spoilers I guess?

Oh man is that Norio Wakamoto

it is

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Speaking of other shonen, I should actually get around to finishing Shaman King at some point.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I like Flame of Recca and Samurai Deeper: Kyo.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Speaking of other shonen, I should actually get around to finishing Shaman King at some point.

I read up to the part where they were all dropped out of the plane on to Duelist Shaman Island. I started losing interest when every big fight had the First Nation Commentator dude listing power level values, damage, block reduction and hp in actual numbers. Felt like reading an MMO combat log.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I've been slowly rereading the whole series after I bought the first two manga boxes (covers through Water Seven) and holy hell, Whiskey Peak is great. I'm not a huge Zoro fan but the scene where he runs wild on the entire town is really fun. Oda is great at conveying action in fight sequences.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

dont do that. it literally turns into power levels and the ending is bad.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bob human being posted:

I like Flame of Recca and Samurai Deeper: Kyo.

Man I loving loved Samurai Deeper Kyo.

Don't know how I'd find it now, but it was one of my favorite shounens back in the day.

Hotaru was my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

It's sad cause the first 3 volumes were really strong. Zombie Bruce Lee and angry Samurai-era bandit ghost were really good arcs. Then they brought in all this power level crap.