Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Digirat posted:

Attacks that tend to carry the thing you have to dodge out of the camera are bad.

No. They are a tool in the designer's toolbox. They shouldn't be overused but you can absolutely play around it and react to it. Situational awareness is super important and testing that is a good way to force players to learn the proper reaction and timings and demonstrate mastery (which is a core pillar of MH). The attack has a significant pause after the leap that is plenty of time to react if you know what to do. Camera control is an aspect of gameplay that is a completely valid avenue for exercising skill.

Narga has attacks specifically designed to carry him out of the camera and he is one of the most beloved monsters in the entire series.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Getting hit by something that wasn't on the screen is obnoxious poo poo in basically any action game (see: orphan of kos in bloodborne) and your ability to dodge something through reaction instead of memory shouldn't be dependent on your stick sensitivity.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Orphan of Kos is one of the best fights FROM has ever made so I don't feel it supports your position well. It's not about sensitivity. You either need to be prepared to use your camera quick-snap button or know the timings, both of which are valid expressions of mastery.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Pure button timing on an effectively invisible monster is a bullshit "mastery" to have. The current crop of games lets you tap L to whip the camera around to the monster. I didn't think I'd ever see someone advocating in favor of camera bosses, but here we are.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
MHW has the camera whip as far as we know, which is what I'm talking about using. What I'm saying is that the monster dodging out of your LOS in an intentional and learnable manner (you can learn the proper way to avoid it or use your camera quick-snap to react to it) is a valid way for the game to test you. It's good on Narga. It's good on Orphan. We're not talking about the camera glitching out or the game not using transparency or having really erratic dynamic zoom.

Let's use Orphan as an example. It feels really good when he jumps behind you and you know the timing on the dodge and avoid it. You think "I dodged that without even seeing it!" That's a demonstration of mastery. Learning the monsters is a large part of the "skill progression" of Monster Hunter and that progression of personal skill is a big part of why the game is so endlessly fun.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 4, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

AttackBacon posted:

Orphan of Kos is one of the best fights FROM has ever made so I don't feel it supports your position well. It's not about sensitivity. You either need to be prepared to use your camera quick-snap button or know the timings, both of which are valid expressions of mastery.

When the lockon breaks because it jumped out of range then you can't do this, and the only way to see its projectiles coming is to manually move the camera up, which absolutely is dependent on sensitivity. If it's at a sharp enough angle (or jumps over you entirely) then even managing to do that in time means the camera will get jammed into the ground. Having to wrestle with a nondiegetic part of the game just so you can see the thing you need to dodge until you get it memorized is frustrating and adds fuckall to the experience.

AttackBacon posted:

Let's use Orphan as an example. It feels really good when he jumps behind you and you know the timing on the dodge and avoid it. You think "I dodged that without even seeing it!" That's a demonstration of mastery. Learning the monsters is a large part of the "skill progression" of Monster Hunter and that progression of personal skill is a big part of why the game is so endlessly fun.

And before that point it feels really poo poo if he breaks the lockon, jumps behind you and you eat a hit that you didn't see coming because you hadn't memorized it yet.

You can dodge anything with memorization. You should never have to memorize something before you have a reasonable chance of dodging because it amounts to trial and error until you get it right, which is an unfun-rear end way to learn. These things stand out as problems because you can dodge absolutely everything else in action games by reaction, not memorization, where A) you're not fighting the camera and B) you have a decent chance to dodge it the first time you see it if your timing is good. It's fun to have a good chance of winning on your first try at something if you're on point.

At least in toby's case, from arrekz's video it did look like toby usually stayed on the trees for long enough to see him and anticipate him though. Hard to say without playing it yet.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I categorically disagree but I've already stated my position so I don't think we will resolve anything with further discussion. The developers seem to agree with me, but we will have to see how it plays out. I am hopeful that you will still be able to enjoy the game.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Did anyone notice in the IGN Barroth hunt video that Barroth can now attempt to use his "shake mud every where like a wet dog" attack while clean? If he does, the attack fails and the befuddled dino will turn around to peek at his butt and shake it vainly looking for mud. I hope more monsters get adorable "oops" animations like that.

Barroth is the cutest mudpupper. :3:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Enemy attacks/movement patterns that intentionally break lock-on are the worst poo poo. It makes you feel like the enemy is breaking a fundamental rule of the world by negating part of your mechanical toolset. I 100% agree that no enemy should ever force you to break lock-on with them.

Monster Hunter doesn't even have lock-on, though, and anyone who has played a couple of entries understands why and wouldn't want it anyway. The idea that a monster simply moving out of your LoS is bad is a ridiculous complaint. Like half of all monsters would be considered bad if this was a problem.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

In other news, my one remaining major complaint about World has been addressed, as apparently this french interview confirms the return of the prance emote, which was heartbreakingly missing from the emote menu in the gamescom demo build.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Funkmaster General posted:

In other news, my one remaining major complaint about World has been addressed, as apparently this french interview confirms the return of the prance emote, which was heartbreakingly missing from the emote menu in the gamescom demo build.

You mispelled Lagiacrus.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The idea that a monster simply moving out of your LoS is bad is a ridiculous complaint. Like half of all monsters would be considered bad if this was a problem.

After watching the video, and seeing the attack, it's just like any other monster that you have to track. The original statement was that it had an attack that broke LoS and [/then/] attacked so fast that you had to psychic dodge it based purely on memorized timing and no visual cue. That's bullshit which thankfully is a non-issue because it's not how that attack works.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Oh thank god.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Preorder reinstated.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Argas posted:

You mispelled Lagiacrus.

Laggy's gone to the great leviathan farm in the sky.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Do we have any more info on how cosmetic armor works, if there is any? The Arekkz interview indicated that the bonus armor looks would have no stats and be worn "over" what you actually equip, but they also said that not all armor worked this way.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Argas posted:

Do we have any more info on how cosmetic armor works, if there is any? The Arekkz interview indicated that the bonus armor looks would have no stats and be worn "over" what you actually equip, but they also said that not all armor worked this way.

It's like how some games have armor slots and then cosmetic armor slots; you'll put the samurai armor (and presumably some other special sets) in the cosmetic slot, and you get the look that set provides but the stats and skills of the armor in yoir normal armor slot. You can't put regular armor in the cosmetic slot, though, only special pieces.

I'd presume that collaboration DLC stuff like the Aloy armor PS4 gets will probably be layered cosmetic armor now as opposed to standard armor with stats/skills, especially as they've said they are planning on having event quests rotate out now, and only be available for a limited time.

What I'd like to know is if the cosmetic armors are full sets only or if I could wear, say, the samurai helmet and arms only.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's like how some games have armor slots and then cosmetic armor slots; you'll put the samurai armor (and presumably some other special sets) in the cosmetic slot, and you get the look that set provides but the stats and skills of the armor in yoir normal armor slot. You can't put regular armor in the cosmetic slot, though, only special pieces.

I'd presume that collaboration DLC stuff like the Aloy armor PS4 gets will probably be layered cosmetic armor now as opposed to standard armor with stats/skills, especially as they've said they are planning on having event quests rotate out now, and only be available for a limited time.

What I'd like to know is if the cosmetic armors are full sets only or if I could wear, say, the samurai helmet and arms only.

rip letting all armor be cosmetic

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Missed opportunity.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Aloy's cosmetics should only work for the alloy armour set.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013
I'm so in love with the Palico's, can't wait for Monster Hunter World to come out, the new chef animation is great as always.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Fuzzykins posted:

I'm so in love with the Palico's, can't wait for Monster Hunter World to come out, the new chef animation is great as always.

I'm glad we have actual food again. Fondue animations were pretty lame.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
When is XX coming to the US, anyway?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Fuzz posted:

-----------never-----------

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Fuzz posted:

lol

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

I'm glad we have actual food again. Fondue animations were pretty lame.

Honestly, I kind of liked the Portable 3rd version.

The buffs consisted of a hot spring which you could upgrade for hp/stam buffs and skill drinks you unlocked via quests.

Getting in the hotspring replaced your gear with a hotspring towel/flipflops set and you had a bunch of unique animations while hanging out in the water. It let you see what other characters looked like under their armor and was generally a cooler place to hang out compared to the tables in other games.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Bathing With Friends was definitely the best kitchen implementation. Their cat mechanics were the best too. I don't like XX's army of disposable felynes. Would suck to spend the time designing the perfect fabulous cat and then just toss him because a random one has better skills.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Rerolling for a cat that can have all the skills you want in XX is pretty easy, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

-----------never-----------

I meant the 3DS version, no one cares about the Switch.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fuzz posted:

I meant the 3DS version, no one cares about the Switch.

??? still never dude, I don't know if you're joking

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If you want to play XX in english the best way is going to be a homebrewed 3DS with a translation patch

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Andrast posted:

If you want to play XX in english the best way is going to be a homebrewed 3DS with a translation patch

I have a homebrewed 3DS, but wasn't aware there was a translation patch. Will have to track it down.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah that's kind of your only option. It's incredibly unlikely that XX will come to the west in any form in the near or distant future, which really is just a shame for Chibisoma.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The translation patch (at least to 8* where I am) works great. It's still kind of painful figuring out the mechanics but I don't know how much of that is just Gen and how much is new. Brave style is awesome.

If they continue to not localize XX and put all the effort into World then I'm 100% ok with that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fuzzykins posted:

I love the Palico customization in World, but I wish it had Prowler mode. :( I'm also disappointed you only get one kitty. How do they expect me to choose?! I designed my cats in Generations after my former pets. How can I choose just one of them to be my best buddy? I loved all my cats!

I think the only solution is to just go buck wild designing a ridiculous looking cat. Maybe a calico with black and orange spots. Halloween witch kitty?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

YES!

I cannot wait for this game! I need to hurry up and beat mh3 and 4 though. I got caught up making gear that I never got to gogmazios and dire maralis.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

The longest smallboi :3:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Silver Falcon posted:

I love the Palico customization in World, but I wish it had Prowler mode. :( I'm also disappointed you only get one kitty. How do they expect me to choose?! I designed my cats in Generations after my former pets. How can I choose just one of them to be my best buddy? I loved all my cats!

just pretend your cats did the fusion dance and make one that has parts of both

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Thankfully I've only had black cats. Naming it will be hell though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys normally play solo or online?

• Locked thread