Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

Having a liberterian use a government resource counts as a minor injury.
I hope the cops asked for his credit card number when he called for help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Brazile says she was thinking about taking Clinton and Kaine off the ticket and replacing them with Biden and Booker. Two Scoops' twitter is more believable than this woman.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

Brazile says she was thinking about taking Clinton and Kaine off the ticket and replacing them with Biden and Booker. Two Scoops' twitter is more believable than this woman.

Didn't Biden firm no a presidential run like way before Kaine was picked for vp?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

KildarX posted:

Didn't Biden firm no a presidential run like way before Kaine was picked for vp?
Yeah. Donna wants some of that MAGA money. I'm surprised she hasn't invoked Benjamin Ghazi yet.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

she's not in charge of anything is she

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

she's not in charge of anything is she

She's on the DNC rules committee. I don't think that's changed since that piece was released.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

KildarX posted:

Yeah, it's a bit like Reince Priebus saying "I seriously considered replacing Trump/Pence with Jon Huntsman and Condoleeza Rice"

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

stein/brazile 2020

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

stein/brazile 2020

Christ, kill me already why don't you.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
So that tax plan takes away the exemption that PhD students get for the reduced/free tuition when they are researchers or teachers assistants. Since a typical fee structure would be like 50k/year waived tuition, 15-20k/yr paid labor, they would be taxed at a 65-70k tax bracket while making that 15-20k.

Basically, this breaks down the current PhD track for all but the extremely rich and the grad students are freaking out about it over in the grad student thread.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

lightpole posted:

So that tax plan takes away the exemption that PhD students get for the reduced/free tuition when they are researchers or teachers assistants. Since a typical fee structure would be like 50k/year waived tuition, 15-20k/yr paid labor, they would be taxed at a 65-70k tax bracket while making that 15-20k.

Basically, this breaks down the current PhD track for all but the extremely rich and the grad students are freaking out about it over in the grad student thread.

Well, yeah. If it's passed its a 50% paycut or more, for a group that's already in a really low wage bracket with typically lousy benefits.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

we've figured out how to solve the surplus of phds at least

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Where will TA's come from? This isn't destroying affordable college for all it's destroying any college for anyone

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Where will TA's come from? This isn't destroying affordable college for all it's destroying any college for anyone

Adjuncts. Depending on how accounting does the tuition waiver it might be cheaper!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

shame on an IGA posted:

loving ivory tower liberal eggheads, think they know stuff. drat good idea Trump, ruin them all and use their money to help real Americans doing real work! MAGA, MAGA, MAGA!

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah. Donna wants some of that MAGA money. I'm surprised she hasn't invoked Benjamin Ghazi yet.

The Washington Post posted:

Brazile writes that she was haunted by the still-unsolved murder of DNC data staffer Seth Rich and feared for her own life, shutting the blinds to her office window so snipers could not see her and installing surveillance cameras at her home. She wonders whether Russians had placed a listening device in plants in the DNC executive suite.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bird food bathtub posted:

loving ivory tower liberal eggheads, think they know stuff. drat good idea Trump, ruin them all and use their money to help real Americans doing real work! MAGA, MAGA, MAGA!

Remember this?
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/feb/27/rick-santorum/rick-santorum-calls-barack-obama-snob-wanting-ever/

quote:

"President Obama once said he wants everybody in America to go to college," Santorum said. "What a snob. There are good, decent men and women who go out and work hard every day and put their skills to test that aren't taught by some liberal college professor that (tries) to indoctrinate them."

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

https://www.google.de/amp/www.newsweek.com/robert-phalen-epa-air-too-clean-700143%3famp=1

In keeping with tradition, everything from this administration continues to beat The Onion to the punch.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Colleges shouldn't be using TAs to teach undergrad courses hth

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
our higher educational system is gonna collapse anyways so lets just accelerate everything

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

psydude posted:

Typical usage of TAs is to handle recitations of lecture material and to lead lab groups which are hands on application stuff.

Some places do use TAs to teach intro level classes but from all of my academic experience so far this is not common.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

Teaching is generally required as part of a PhD program. This is because that’s one of the things expected of a PhD after they graduate and get a job.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That Works posted:

Typical usage of TAs is to handle recitations of lecture material and to lead lab groups which are hands on application stuff.

Some places do use TAs to teach intro level classes but from all of my academic experience so far this is not common.

Larger schools usually rely on grad students to teach undergraduate courses because they don't feel like paying actual qualified individuals to do it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Thankfully we are eliminating the jobs part :)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

shame on an IGA posted:

psydude posted:

drat right. That's what otherwise unemployable recent PhDs are for.

:smithicide:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

psydude posted:

Larger schools usually rely on grad students to teach undergraduate courses because they don't feel like paying actual qualified individuals to do it.

I went to grad school in 2 of the top 10 largest state schools in the country. It was exceedingly rare for those.

Also, getting to do recitations and labs as a grad TA was invaluable experience now that I am teaching lectures as a professor now. It helped a ton.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm starting to think Mueller is going to find out Steve Bannon actually ghostwrote Brazile's book.

quote:

During one visit, she writes, she thought of a question former Democratic congressman Tony Coelho used to ask her about campaigns: “Are the kids having sex? Are they having fun? If not, let’s create something to get that going, or otherwise we’re not going to win.”

“I didn’t sense much fun or loving in Brooklyn,” she deadpans

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Chris Matthews believes that Diamond Joe is running in 2020
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...-455016723.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Deathy McDeath posted:

Chris Matthews believes that Diamond Joe is running in 2020
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...-455016723.html

Maybe. If he found the fountain of youth.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
This is the world we live in
http://www.newsweek.com/papa-john-alt-right-nazis-white-supremacists-nfl-pizza-701648

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Good. gently caress Papa Johns. It's worse than Little Caesars.

I hope they have klan meetings in the local Papa's parking lot.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Good. gently caress Papa Johns. It's worse than Little Caesars.

I hope they have klan meetings in the local Papa's parking lot.

I just ordered Papa Johns.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'll take delivery chinese with a side of guaranteed fire squirts over that garbage pizza.

I'm ordering from Blackjack Pizza later because it's actually good and their individual salads are a meal to themselves. Order local. Or at least smaller chain.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'll take delivery chinese with a side of guaranteed fire squirts over that garbage pizza.

I'm ordering from Blackjack Pizza later because it's actually good and their individual salads are a meal to themselves. Order local. Or at least smaller chain.

I would, but Altoona :smith:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Flikken posted:

I would, but Altoona :smith:

My condolences. :(

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe that's why there was a dancing pizza slice with a sign out on the sidewalk today. I've never had Papa John's and don't ever plan on it. I remember the fit he threw a few years back about not wanting to raise wages for his employees. He said it would pass on $.25 extra a pizza (That's it?), all while he has an fullsize 19 hole golf course around his house. gently caress that guy.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

My condolences. :(

Local pizza around here makes little Caesar look gourmet. ONE pepperoni per slice? What the gently caress Pennsylvania?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

That's bullshit, Hungry Howies is the white trash pizza of choice in the south :colbert:

It's trash but it's cheap and better trash than Pizza Hut or Papa Johns, don't judge me

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

idk what life is like depending on chain pizza instead of having 5 places within 2 miles that make homemade pizza but it sounds like poo poo to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think the only fast food baron that wasn't a horrible piece of poo poo is Dave Thomas.

And if history is anything to go by, he probably had a whole rape dungeon anyway.

• Locked thread