Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Groogy posted:

Hey if Multiplayer, Twitch and Devs being super cringy is your thing maybe this is of interest...

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-dev-clash-9-happy-three-friends-tuesdays-15-00-cet.1052952/

I just recently found these and I’m looking forward to being on the ground floor for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
My Scandinavia run was going quite well, until suddenly my troops got crap morale overnight in the late 1700s. I have Offensive, Quantity and Quality ideas, Tradition usually around the high 60s, good discipline and absolutism. Did they implement anything? I saw that pretty much all of my enemies suddenly got a "being drilled" morale more of +15%, which I don't have. Is it something from Mandate of Heaven?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

Tell me more :smug:

All paradox games should legit allow you to click a little paintbrush icon in the diplomacy tab and at least change the color of your nation, or ideally any AI nation at any time, so that when your identical colored nations butt up against one another you can fix things.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sephyr posted:

My Scandinavia run was going quite well, until suddenly my troops got crap morale overnight in the late 1700s. I have Offensive, Quantity and Quality ideas, Tradition usually around the high 60s, good discipline and absolutism. Did they implement anything? I saw that pretty much all of my enemies suddenly got a "being drilled" morale more of +15%, which I don't have. Is it something from Mandate of Heaven?

It means they took the Defensive idea Military Drill.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sephyr posted:

They have defensive ideas which give a morale bonus where you do not have any from your idea groups. They may also have gotten the event which gives them even more morale on top of that. If your enemy is France, they get an even bigger morale bonus from their National Ideas. You should, however, still be beating them pretty handily in discipline, which might let you stick it out for a win anyway since you deal a ton more damage. They may win the battle, but it's not really winning if they take twice as many casualties as you did. Also, if you're going for that build don't be afraid to make a tactical retreat once your front lines break to really drive home the Pyrrhic Victory.

They can stay in the fight longer, that's just all the more time for them to die :black101:

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 2, 2017

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
France is my ally, but a really crappy one as they are always broke dealing with revolts in the massive colonial empire and also currently dealing with some 300k revolutionaries.

I'm mostly dealing with the Netherlands and austria. I can fight Ottomans off easy enough, but every time I engage Austrians or the dutch the fight already starts with my morale half empty. I keep my military slider at 100% all the time, and all forts manned. Guess I should have gone for defensive instead of Quality....

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sephyr posted:

France is my ally, but a really crappy one as they are always broke dealing with revolts in the massive colonial empire and also currently dealing with some 300k revolutionaries.

I'm mostly dealing with the Netherlands and austria. I can fight Ottomans off easy enough, but every time I engage Austrians or the dutch the fight already starts with my morale half empty. I keep my military slider at 100% all the time, and all forts manned. Guess I should have gone for defensive instead of Quality....

Quality is good, you should have gone Defensive instead of Quantity, which is not a very good idea group unless you really need more troops to get off the ground, or are doing a WC or something where manpower is going to be a serious limiting factor. You start with the bar half filled because it takes it as a fraction of your enemies' maximum morale. Also see if you can get a morale adviser, that might even things out at least a little bit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Quality is good if you're going hard for discipline. Having high morale ends battles faster, while having high discipline lets you inflict higher casualties. The rule of thumb is that morale wins battles, but discipline can win wars. Of course you always have to be careful because having too low morale compared to your enemy puts you at risk of being stack wiped.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sephyr posted:

This goes hand-in-hand with the previously mentioned "They have Defensive and you dont" - these are random numbers, but will explain what you are seeing: If your max morale is 40% and theirs is 70% (15% from Military Drill idea in defensive + 15% from other misc factors like advisors or events), the bar you see at the start of the battle is relative to theirs, so your morale is at its maximum (40%) but only fills the bar up to just over half because it is relative to the 70% that your opponent's army has.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This goes hand-in-hand with the previously mentioned "They have Defensive and you dont" - these are random numbers, but will explain what you are seeing: If your max morale is 40% and theirs is 70% (15% from Military Drill idea in defensive + 15% from other misc factors like advisors or events), the bar you see at the start of the battle is relative to theirs, so your morale is at its maximum (40%) but only fills the bar up to just over half because it is relative to the 70% that your opponent's army has.

To more properly explain things, you get flat morale from your military tech, and percentage boni.(all the boni are added up, not multiplicative) If your morale is what's losing you battles, the logical thing to do is grab some more of it. In this case that's probably grabbing defensive ideas or running the religious-quantity/quality policies.

Edit: Now I think about it, if you really have to axe an idea group, I recommend you ditch quantity and get offensive instead. Get economic, religious and innovative ideas, and get your morale from policies and go max discipline combat ability and amazing generals.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 2, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

*bonades

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

*bonbons

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
octopi

octopus is Greek so it's technically octopodes but actual ocean scientists just say octopus/octopuses

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Sephyr posted:

Are you reinforcing from neighboring provinces as troops start to break? With Quantity especially you want to pile on troops to make up for the morale deficit.

Can you get army morale from other sources? Defender of the Faith, Religious/Quantity, etc.?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bonadiums

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

boners

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

octopi

octopus is Greek so it's technically octopodes but actual ocean scientists just say octopus/octopuses

octopussy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

quantity is also good for cheaper units, which can greatly help a small nation, sometimes more than the manpower/force limit. +15% morale from anywhere is obviously a boon but morale is more important early game, where you should be spending mil points on tech instead

overall i think i would say

plutocratic if possible
offensive
quality/quantity depending on the situation
defensive

not that any of them are bad

oddium fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 2, 2017

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Groogy posted:

Hey if Multiplayer, Twitch and Devs being super cringy is your thing maybe this is of interest...

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-dev-clash-9-happy-three-friends-tuesdays-15-00-cet.1052952/

That's a sweet shirt Groogy.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fister Roboto posted:

I just did a quick game as Portugal to test out the strategy. Here's me in 1450, after my first war with Morocco:

I actually had to dishonor my alliance with Castile because they wanted to drag me into an early war with Aragon. That would have ruined my plans in exchange for practically nothing. Getting the attack Morocco as soon as possible gave me a much bigger advantage. Granada and Fez (Melilla) are my vassals, and Tlemcen owes me enough favors to call them into another war if I want. Castile and Morocco have no allies currently, and all Castile got out of the war with Aragon was a PU over Navarra (lol). I'll have a tech advantage over Castile for a very long time thanks to their garbage monarch and heir, so I could easily kick their asses for the next few decades if I wanted, removing them from the competition for colonization. I've set myself up in a really great position in less than 10 years.

Bottom line: being aggressive and taking risks really pays off.

I tried a couple starts as Portugal, but Tunis, Granada and Morocco form an instant alliance web while Castile always tries to attack Aragon way too soon and end up getting in debt and wasting their manpower (so much that they don't even attack Granada once the truce is over...)

How do you get at Morocco if you can't call in any allies? Tlemcen won't ally me right off the bat, and while I improve relations or whatever they'll raid my coasts preventing me from allying them :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TorakFade posted:

How do you get at Morocco if you can't call in any allies? Tlemcen won't ally me right off the bat, and while I improve relations or whatever they'll raid my coasts preventing me from allying them :v:

Send one of your heavy ships to hunt privateers in Sevilla. That will prevent them (or anyone else) from raiding your coasts. Improve relations should get you an alliance with Tlemcen long before your regency ends.

If you can't get any allies, you can try wearing them down on your fort in Ceuta. Take Melilla while they try to siege the fort and then keep attacking them in Ceuta until they run out of manpower. Not ideal, which is why you want Tlemcen for the heavy lifting.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 2, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I dislike quantity because I want to minimize the number of times that I have to split army stacks and trickle bodies into a battle; I want space marines, not the imperial guard

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

You could also pick quantity as France/prussia/sweden/etc and have a space marine army the size and cost of imperial guard.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

For me just getting big and rich is a better option than picking quantity.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Dance Officer posted:

You could also pick quantity as France/prussia/sweden/etc and have a space marine army the size and cost of imperial guard.

Yeah but then you'd just have Ultramarine tier Space Marines. I'd rather have Space Wolves.

-----

I didn't believe people when they said WCs are hard work. Ye gods, so much going on.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
The dlc usually goes on sale when a new dlc is released, right? I have everything except Mandate of Heaven (how essential is it?) and I'm itching for some EU4 rn.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It slows down gameplay in Asia dramatically (especially if you're coming from the outside), and adds a new bar to fill up for bonuses, ranging from neglible to pretty good (the country specific bonuses especially). I wouldn't buy it unless you really, really want an extra button to click once every 20-30 years, and certainly not for full price.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Don't get MoH.

To put slightly more detail onto that; it introduced some new mechanics which make playing in most of Asia a lot less interesting (as well as being incredibly exploitable by the player) and Paradox have so far not indicated that they consider it to be something in need of fixing.

If you never play on any part of the map east of Persia and don't mind paying for a DLC which only adds a few minor but fun mechanics and one incredibly good UI improvement (the diplo macro viewer) then go for it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Oh yeah, they lumped the diplo thing in there, didn't they? I don't think I can go back to play without it, but drat, if it doesn't have some serious baggage with it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

the diplo thing and ages are both really good

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

QuarkJets posted:

the diplo thing and ages are both really good

I mean I got MoH on release without waiting for a sale purely because of the diplo viewer, but at the time I was working on the assumption that at worst the EoC / mandate system would be uninteresting, rather than actively removing gameplay options from anyone within a 3000 mile radius of Beijing

Ages are OK, at least the Ages UI is quite clean and doesn't have any awful fiddly elements.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Mandate of Heaven adds a ton if you're in East Asia, it only breaks things if you're on the periphery of the tributary system which is normally around India and the Kazakh steppe, since if you're within the tributary system yourself then you can work with it. Still if you don't wanna play in East Asia then it's nothing huge, and I doubt it'll have an especially significant sale yet so it's probably worth holding off on.

The diplo macro builder especially is really good though yeah

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Reman's new video proposes a fun idea for a run in Europe: How to Crush the Protestant Reformation.

Might give it a go myself.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Speaking of which, is there any way I can coax the AI into starting the Protestant League war? We have the top four great powers on our side and the HRE is mostly Protestant at this point but Bohemia isn't going for it.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I am getting very frustrated with EUIV.

Keep trying to play as Castile, yet every time I play I run into some sort of game-ending scenario. Here's a few.

Inherit Burgundy, HRE wants all my provinces, kills me.

Ally with England; England declares war on France, France+Aragon+Papal States all invade and try to take all my provinces while England does poo poo.

Get the personal union with Aragon, then luck into a PU with France. France is still recovering from a devastating war, only has 20k soldiers, I have 37k, yet France is given a 200x more powerful rating than me so it wants liberty non-stop, England supports their bid, and I get hosed over. Also, civil wars galore.

Become defender of the Faith, only for Bohemia to go Protestant, attack a Catholic minor, and when I march my troops up there, they massacre all 50k with only 30-40k, then march into my land and take everything.

I don't get it. I know how to make money, but it seems the AI gets all its manpower back immediately, doesn't have to pay for army upkeep (because it is always 100%, since when they start a war, they are immediately at 100% morale, while I am at 10%, and have to run away while they try to kill my forces).

Is EUIV this unforgiving to the average player? As Castile should I just kill Granada, hope for the PU with Aragon, and keep my head out of Europe until I get big-rear end American Empire, and not make alliances? Looking for advice, I want to like EUIV, because I enjoy Paradox games, but compared to EUIII it seems like one wrong move and you have to start over, because good luck trying to recover as everyone dogpiles you because "gently caress you that's why".

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Sounds like you had some unlucky runs. EUIV is kind of unforgiving though it does offer avenues to recover from failure. Revanchism is one such way; this is also why your enemies seem to gain manpower back much faster than you. The worse they make out in a peace offer, the more war exhaustion they lose immediately and the greater temporary bonuses they have. This is also why sometimes white-peacing when you're winning can be a good idea; the high exhaustion and low manpower will result in revolts that they often can't fight. Oh, and they don't pay upkeep for forts. Pretty sure they have to pay upkeep for units though.

You shouldn't wait to take on France. Build whatever alliances you need, promise land if you have to--what's important is crushing France because their national ideas are too good. As soon as you have the alliances, you've taken Grenada and Navarre and you've got the PU, attack.

If you're having trouble, I advise not playing Iron Man and making a lot of saves until you're confident enough to do Iron Man. Or do Iron Man and just make the multiple saves the hard way, by copying them into another folder for safekeeping.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Your territory getting occupied /=/ you losing your land. They occupy it until the war ends. Unless you are a co-belligerent it is twice as expensive for your allies's enemies to take your land when you joined the war in support of your ally (when you are not the wartarget). This means you are unlikely to lose land, or at least unlikely to lose a lot.

France is turbo powerful so them revolting when under a PU should not come as a surprise, especially if you also had Aragon in a PU because all of your junior partners look at the total strength of subjects when calculating their liberty desire, I believe.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Ally with England; England declares war on France, France+Aragon+Papal States all invade and try to take all my provinces while England does poo poo.

Never Ally Perfidious Albion.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So I am getting very frustrated with EUIV.

Keep trying to play as Castile, yet every time I play I run into some sort of game-ending scenario. Here's a few.

Inherit Burgundy, HRE wants all my provinces, kills me.

Kills you in the sense that they are taking a handful of HRE provinces? That's not a big deal. You should probably just go with the flow on that one.

quote:

England commonly puts players in that situation, never ally England. That alliance will do you no good and may cost you a more valuable alliance with, say, Austria

quote:

Get the personal union with Aragon, then luck into a PU with France. France is still recovering from a devastating war, only has 20k soldiers, I have 37k, yet France is given a 200x more powerful rating than me so it wants liberty non-stop, England supports their bid, and I get hosed over. Also, civil wars galore.
This is a tough spot to wind up in. What you can do though is dump a bunch of development into French provinces in order to bring their Liberty Desire down. This is usually worth it

quote:

Become defender of the Faith, only for Bohemia to go Protestant, attack a Catholic minor, and when I march my troops up there, they massacre all 50k with only 30-40k, then march into my land and take everything.

Bohemia likely just have better troops than you. But Bohemia can't actually take your land, they're way too far away to core any of it. Your land is just being occupied until the war is over. You'll lose defender of the faith when you lose the war, but that's not a big deal.

quote:

I don't get it. I know how to make money, but it seems the AI gets all its manpower back immediately, doesn't have to pay for army upkeep (because it is always 100%, since when they start a war, they are immediately at 100% morale, while I am at 10%, and have to run away while they try to kill my forces).

The AI deals with the same manpower and upkeep costs as the player. The AI does sometimes use mercs, however, and mercs cost extra gold in exchange for not costing manpower. If your net income is good then it can be worthwhile to start mixing merc infantry into your army

I don't think you should drag the upkeep slider that low when you're at peace, because of the exact problem you describe. I tend to go no lower than 50%; within 3 months of full upkeep all of your armies will be at full morale.

quote:

Is EUIV this unforgiving to the average player? As Castile should I just kill Granada, hope for the PU with Aragon, and keep my head out of Europe until I get big-rear end American Empire, and not make alliances? Looking for advice, I want to like EUIV, because I enjoy Paradox games, but compared to EUIII it seems like one wrong move and you have to start over, because good luck trying to recover as everyone dogpiles you because "gently caress you that's why".

You can absolutely stomp around in Europe with the rest of them, but as Castille it's harder than, say, France. The American Empire is definitely the easier path but with more game experience you'll eventually be able to take down France early and take over the HRE (there is an achievement for this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Having Aragon and France as subjects at the same time is going to be rough, because their liberty desire is based on the total power of all your vassals and union partners. I'd honestly be surprised if you could handle just France.

p.s. post ur map

• Locked thread