Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How bad is the pollution and do you have a proper mask for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Typo posted:

are you gonna try to join the party home work e

that'd be pretty tough since i'm not a chinese citizen

Jose posted:

How bad is the pollution and do you have a proper mask for it

the sky's been clear or close to it the whole time i've been here, though that's about to change. i have 3M masks.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
pretty sure the chinese immigration rate is like 1000

not 1000 per 100,000, 1000 total, out of 1 billion

so I doubt that you're actually going to be able to stay there indefinitely, homeex

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

R. Guyovich posted:

that'd be pretty tough since i'm not a chinese citizen

the sky's been clear or close to it the whole time i've been here, though that's about to change. i have 3M masks.

i thought they let some foreigners join if they advocate the cause of Chinese communism abroad

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

rudatron posted:

pretty sure the chinese immigration rate is like 1000

not 1000 per 100,000, 1000 total, out of 1 billion

so I doubt that you're actually going to be able to stay there indefinitely, homeex

if you stay long enough you can apply for a renewable 10-year green card. that 1000 figure is people who've renounced their citizenship

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i'm not sure china does permanent residency either, you have a visa and then it expires, and they kick you out

the exception is if you have a chinese mother or father

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

R. Guyovich posted:

if you stay long enough you can apply for a renewable 10-year green card. that 1000 figure is people who've renounced their citizenship

i hope you’re planning on renouncing your not chinese citizenships once you’ve got some residency years under the belt

what’s your job btw

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
actually looking it up, they do have a green card, but they've only granted it to like 1500 people, and I'm gonna guess most of them are really rich

are you really rich homeex

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Typo posted:

i thought they let some foreigners join if they advocate the cause of Chinese communism abroad

the last time foreigners became party members was in, like, 1960

rudatron posted:

i'm not sure china does permanent residency either, you have a visa and then it expires, and they kick you out

the exception is if you have a chinese mother or father

no, it does. there's no specific set of requirements but it is attainable

and you renew your visa every year unless your company doesn't want you anymore. in which case you find another job or leave, which is par for the course for foreign workers in most countries afaik

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
like, I think you're under-estimating how, uh, 'problematic' countries outside the west can be, when it comes to xenophobia

you make your own life decisions, but...just be careful, we need you to keep posting here

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
wondering when the great chinese firewall will come down on somethingawful to deprive us of guyovich posts

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

rudatron posted:

actually looking it up, they do have a green card, but they've only granted it to like 1500 people, and I'm gonna guess most of them are really rich

are you really rich homeex

you didn't read your source very carefully. the 1600 people you're referring to are green card recipients from 2016 alone. 8000 total, which isn't a lot, but as a proportion of the 600000 expats in china it's not nothing. and i expect that number to grow in the next few years

no, i'm not rich

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
well, 'expecting' isn't the same as 'will happen', yeah? just keep your options open

also you should post some tourist photos when you get the chance, no doxx oc

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

rudatron posted:

well, 'expecting' isn't the same as 'will happen', yeah? just keep your options open

also you should post some tourist photos when you get the chance, no doxx oc

the 2016 number is more than double the previous year. just figure the trends will continue

and when i say indefinitely i mean that as literally as possible, ie i have no idea when i'll come back but it could happen sooner or later. i like it a lot here so staying in china for the long haul might just be the pragmatic choice. at the same time i want to dig into domestic political work again. so there's really no telling

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

R. Guyovich posted:

the last time foreigners became party members was in, like, 1960

is this the correct party line to take homework e?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Typo posted:

is this the correct party line to take homework e?

it's fine. honorary memberships might be nice but you limit the recipient pool by tying directly into the party that way. foreigners who aren't communist would be unlikely to accept

the friendship award is a good substitute and politically neutral

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

R. Guyovich posted:

the 2016 number is more than double the previous year. just figure the trends will continue

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
my dudes do not judge a man for yellow fever

the gently caress is wrong with moving to china you shutins

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
this is a case of anyone-who-isn't-nixon-can't-go-to-china

its a modern country more or less, loads of people (of every color) got to china to work

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

r guyovich, please tell me, out of genuine interest, why you decided to move to china and how long you plan to stay, thank you very much

shut up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Are you an English teacher or did you find a proper job?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

R. Guyovich posted:

wow the conversation shifts back to the original topic and like magic the forum's biggest rear end in a top hat appears to pour liquid poo poo all over the thread, despite everyone hating him

is it marxy to have laws mandating respect for the national anthem homex?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nothing but respect for MY national anthem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZGzlTW_QdE

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Jose posted:

Are you an English teacher or did you find a proper job?

the latter

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

R. Guyovich posted:

What part of China, you can be vague if you want, are you in a heavily industrialized area?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Dreddout posted:

What part of China, you can be vague if you want, are you in a heavily industrialized area?

i'm in beijing but arrived at the best time of year, by all accounts

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
China is taking the lead this century, fellas - deal with it. Donald is going there to ask them to keep buying Bonds. The Spice must flow for Harmony on Earth that is pleasing to the Heavens.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

R. Guyovich posted:

i'm in beijing but arrived at the best time of year, by all accounts
Why's that, are there holidays on

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

rudatron posted:

the fall is notorious for good weather and clear skies

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

rudatron posted:

beijing has a huge number of people with coal burning heaters in their homes that makes winter unpleasant from what i've read even compared to other places in china

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Apologies to Homework Explainer for swinging this back to Alpha Centauri, but it turns out there's been a newer version of Fitzi's patch released this year that fixes the bug I had with the ctd's on native creatures' turns in the mid-game.

http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=352

Version 3.5d - you will need the full 3.5 patch installed first, because this is just an .exe edit.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i've never wanted anything as bad as i want trump holding forth on what he thought of the palace museum

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

R. Guyovich posted:

i've never wanted anything as bad as i want trump holding forth on what he thought of the palace museum

You know drat well it would be a twenty minute rambling diatribe about how much better his own buildings are.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
lol it took trump going to china for the garda to condemn the human rights record and they only did it by association

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/09/harassment-house-arrest-china-trump-beyond-terrific-time

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

R. Guyovich posted:

These two dudes assert that while that it is technically true, no one without a buttload of money has ever actually gotten one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_L71lFItk

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

LegoPirateNinja posted:

These two dudes assert that while that it is technically true, no one without a buttload of money has ever actually gotten one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_L71lFItk

i watched the video and it seems like these guys suck big time.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/928770248370728960

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Trump seems to genuinely like Xi and thinks they're friends.

I've got no snide remark to make I just think it's cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Trump is the most easily impressed president we've ever had. If the Grand Ayatollah could just get him to come to Iran he'd immediately convert to Twelver Shia.