Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Motto posted:

Was the dem fallout, finger pointing, and bus-throwing this bad back after 2000? There's always gonna be blame and frustration, but I kinda expected the party orgs to be more prepared for dealing with the possibility of losing.

Weak leadership is what causes this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Motto posted:

Was the dem fallout, finger pointing, and bus-throwing this bad back after 2000? There's always gonna be blame and frustration, but I kinda expected the party orgs to be more prepared for dealing with the possibility of losing.

If you want some historical perspective from 2004 you can read this book in which the author (allegedly - I haven't read it) writes at length about how she was alone at the campaign, her strategic advice was ignored and blames many other for the candidate's ultimate loss.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

In 2000 Dems didn't lose to the most unpopular candidate in history, who is also the world's dumbest man and also has dementia, by doing stupid poo poo like not campaigning in the rust belt, after lightly rigging a primary against a more progressive candidate, after losing control of almost all state houses and losing a majority in congress.

The Democrats deserve to have fingers pointed at them. Anyone who looks at that party and decides things are fine is a colossal moron and/or is being disingenuous. It was the Democrats game to lose and they lost because they're stupid and just love handing their money to dumb consultancies who give horrible advice.

There is finger pointing because people are angry with the DNC and the liberals who are pretending to be bewildered at why anyone might be unhappy with them.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 4, 2017

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again

Motto posted:

This isnt a typical loss. Their candidate lost to a complete retard who honestly didn't expect to win, and whose campaign spent half as much money.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

bird food bathtub posted:

Or you started life on the poo poo end of the capitalist hellscape that is this country and have no possibility of a steady paying job with food, housing and medical care included that also happens to give you a full scholarship when you get out.

But sure let's just call them all baby murders and spit on them. It's a fine American tradition after all, worked out great last time around.

There are plenty of people born into poverty who don't turn to murder in order to try and gain some security in their lives.

"I was born poor, that's why I turned to industrialized murder" is a piss poor excuse. I get that people gotta do what they gotta do but I don't see why they should get anything other than scorn for the life choices they've made.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

This whole "you can't disagree with a *~veteran*~ it disrespects their service, how dare you" bullshit is one of the more grating things about being a veteran and having to put up with people hiding behind their service or worse the service of others to justify their poo poo opinions.
~*Veteran*~ status may impress normies, but anyone who has actually been in the service knows the seemed forces have the same ratio of morons, assholes, and fuckups you'll find anywhere else in society and no one has any obligation to give special weight to their politics just because they served.

(....)

Holy poo poo, this, so much.

Beyond the whole treating military servicemen as some soviet First Citizen overclass (not a real on, of course, just bragging rights over the civilians while the rich steal the country bare) being dumb, has it EVER worked out to the benefit of any liberal/leftist? The lines are dawn at this point, and have been since what, 1967? Has there ever been -any- benefit to playing this game?

Liberals have been bending over rhetorically before every dope that served, actually believe in offering decent VA care, threw Bin Laden into a watery grave and ran military Yawnbot John Kerry against a draft doger. They're still bleeding heart traitor commies that spit on veterans to the lion's share of military.

The current GOP head and president openly mocked a PoW, sent 5K soldiers into early graves and many times that number into injury and crippled lives for nothing, doesn't hesitate to poo poo on any soldier of their family, gold start or not, the moment they stop doing Heil salutes, and they are still the patriots who love the troops. I mean, actual veterans lined up to sell out Kerry, one of their own, for the benefit of these shitbirds that screwed them over in Vietnam and then again now. I know it's not all of them, but it's such a big majority it makes no matter.

I don't think there are benefits to calling out vets over crap opinions, but honestly? There are no downsides either. Anyone who cared has already been turned by some factoid or another. If people will froth at Obama doing a salute while holing a latte cup, this is not a fight that can be won. It's like trying to convice a crazy person by playing into their delusion: works in movies and nothing else. "Here, Chuck. I know the fairies tell you to set the place on fire. But rhe fairies talk to me, too! they told me that they want you to put on this nice coat, that the long sleeves make you look dignified. There, good boy1"

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In 2000 the narrative was that Gore lost because he had run away from Clinton, so there was little in terms of challenge to the Democratic establishment. Right now, the establishment lost, and lost big, after a campaign that was centered on electability. As such, it is unsurprising that there's more of an internal struggle.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59f7cabbe4b04494283378fd

Article about Dems needing to move left, including polling data for the centrists who don’t believe we need to move left.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

joepinetree posted:

In 2000 the narrative was that Gore lost because he had run away from Clinton, so there was little in terms of challenge to the Democratic establishment. Right now, the establishment lost, and lost big, after a campaign that was centered on electability. As such, it is unsurprising that there's more of an internal struggle.

Also Obama left the Democratic establishment in organizational ruins compared to 2000.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

InnercityGriot posted:

Article about Dems needing to move left, including polling data for the centrists who don’t believe we need to move left.

Thanks for sharing this.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

joepinetree posted:

Running away from Clinton and also minimizing the aspects that made Gore unique/desirable. Especially the environment. Running away from Clinton while simultaneously running on Clinton's legacy and nothing else was a real loving bad idea.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

RuanGacho posted:

The only counter outside of regulatory action is non profit ISPs and it is likely they will try to ban those from existing.
Then lobby to elect people who will work to nationalize isps.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

RuanGacho posted:

The only counter outside of regulatory action is non profit ISPs and it is likely they will try to ban those from existing.

likely nothing they've written and paid for legislation in multiple states to curb municipal broadband

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Guys, if we call every day and make it a stink for our representatives, it can stop the vote from happening. Just as a reminder.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

There are plenty of people born into poverty who don't turn to murder in order to try and gain some security in their lives.

"I was born poor, that's why I turned to industrialized murder" is a piss poor excuse. I get that people gotta do what they gotta do but I don't see why they should get anything other than scorn for the life choices they've made.
Because they have no involvement in creating the imbalances or industrializing the murder, and it's the only reasonable road out of abject poverty for them and their families. Hating individual soldiers for doing nothing but being soldiers solves literally nothing.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Endorph posted:

Because they have no involvement in creating the imbalances or industrializing the murder, and it's the only reasonable road out of abject poverty for them and their families. Hating individual soldiers for doing nothing but being soldiers solves literally nothing.

We don't have a draft. They chose to be murderers for hire, something plenty of other poor people don't do.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sorry they don't just rot in a manner that pleases you while the rest of society shits on them for being "lazy".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

We don't have a draft. They chose to be murderers for hire, something plenty of other poor people don't do.

Motto posted:

Sorry they don't just rot in a manner that pleases you while the rest of society shits on them for being "lazy".

Soldiers are, mostly, a bad thing. The us military industrial complex is one-hundred percent a bad thing. However, individual soldiers bear almost literally no responsibility for propping it up, and already have mental and physical scars that almost never get treated properly, and are chewed up and spat out by an uncaring system. I mean, there's No Ethical Consumption Under Capitalism, but you don't call people child slavers for buying Nike's.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

but you don't call people child slavers for buying Nike's.

you should

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JesseOneT/status/926799628837597184

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Sephyr posted:

Holy poo poo, this, so much.

Liberals have been bending over rhetorically before every dope that served, actually believe in offering decent VA care, threw Bin Laden into a watery grave and ran military Yawnbot John Kerry against a draft doger. They're still bleeding heart traitor commies that spit on veterans to the lion's share of military.

Yeah, ok.

Shbobdb posted:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

SimonCat posted:

Yeah, ok.

shbobd is a troll. regardless of what they post, assume it's not in good faith. or put them on ignore, that works too.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

axeil posted:

Another great day of canvassing in NoVA. According to what one of the organizers told me we had at least 230 people knocking on doors today, which would beat the record set by the Obama campaign in 08. It was really wonderful to be out there talking to voters. I think I actually got someone to vote who wouldn't have otherwise. He said he worked on Tuesday and wasn't sure if he could make it so I told him he could still early vote today till 5 pm and he got all excited, grabbed his stuff and said he was going to try. :unsmith:

Here's a potato quality picture of Ralph Northam and Justin Fairfax talking to us before hand. I was way in the back so this is sadly the best one I got.

And thank you to Fancy who got my directions to the event location sorted out at the 11th hour!

There is still time to get involved. You could be the one who makes the difference. http://go.vademocrats.org/page/s/volunteer-today

250+. We legit lost count at one point.

Justin Fairfax is loving legit.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

quote:

Brazile writes that she inherited Wasserman Schultz’s office — with “tropical pink” walls that she found hard on the eyes — and “ridiculous” perks, such as a Chevrolet Tahoe with driver and a personal entourage that included an assistant known as a body woman.

In her first few days on the job, Brazile writes that she also discovered the DNC was $2 million in debt and that the payroll was stacked with “hangers-on and sycophants.” For instance, Wasserman Schultz kept two consulting firms — SKDKnickerbocker and Precision Strategies — each on $25,000-a-month retainers, and one of Obama’s pollsters was still being paid $180,000 a year.

The Democrats are a grift masquerading as a political party lol.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Bergdahl was not a Staff Sergeant, he was a Private First Class and was promoted while in captivity multiple times. Calling Bowe Bergdahl a deserter isn't accurate in my opinion, because it fails to capture the... weirdness of Bergdahl and what happened.

From what I remember: Bergdahl grew up home-schooled in the middle of nowhere Idaho, and his childhood basically consisted of him loving around in the woods alone. He decided to join the coast guard but was kicked out of training for mental health issues (self-harm I think?). At some point he decided to enlist in the Army, which everyone who knew him thought was a terrible idea and probably should have never happened given his record with the coast guard.

While deployed in Afghanistan Bergdahl seems to have become increasingly convinced that the Army command was dangerously incompetent or malicious and was going to get his whole unit killed. Nobody else in his unit seems to have shared these concerns, they had any number of problems but they were typical Army problems and not really anything out of the ordinary. At some point Bergdahl decided he was going to run to a nearby Army base overnight, as some sort of demonstration to raise awareness of the problems he thought his unit were facing. In the night he left most of his equipment, put on some local clothes, and started running towards the base. At some point he ran into Taliban fighters, and was captured.

In my non-expert opinion, the only explanation for this is some sort of mental health issue. His explanations are full of extremely weird leaps of logic, and if he was going to lie... well this is an unbelievably lovely lie. He could have just claimed he went to take a dump or something and they might have believed him. If he left because he had become disgusted with the war and the army and wanted out, I think he seems like the kind of person who would straight up say so.

The claims that people died searching for Bergdahl are trumped up. When he went missing notice was put out, and basically every unit in Afghanistan was "looking for him" and "engaged in the search" even though their missions had nothing to do with him and would have been carried out regardless of if he had gone missing or not.

few pages old, but thanks for this, my goon.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
what the hell is a body woman

someone paid to act as a fake standin for the real DNC chairwoman? Someone who takes care of grooming their body? Someone who writes up an essay for the DNC chair after they write the header?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Neurolimal posted:

someone paid to act as a fake standin for the real DNC chairwoman? Someone who takes care of grooming their body? Someone who writes up an essay for the DNC chair after they write the header?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_man

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

It's a personal aide, that's all, but one that's by your side basically all the time. Presidents all have one.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
So, just a weird term for "a politician's personal assistant", alright.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

So, just a weird term for "a politician's personal assistant", alright.

But specifically not their scheduler, secretary or office assistant.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
In this context it probably means "overpaid spiced latte retriever."

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

It's Gary from Veep.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

It's Gary from Veep.

Or Charley Young from The West Wing

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

InnercityGriot posted:

From the same poll.
code:
CE13 Do you feel that Democratic leaders in Congress represent your views, 
are farther to the left than your views, or are farther to the right than your views?

Further to the left                         Further to the right
                 than my views       Represent my views      than my views
Black            13                         77                      9
Hispanic         12                         77                     11
Democrats        17                         70                     13
code:
Do you think these left-leaning movements will help, hurt, 
or have no effect on the chances of Democrats to win the next elections?

Help   Hurt   No effect
Black      22     43     35
Hispanic   38     33     29
Democrats  29     40     31

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Jefferson clay perhpase the term is meaningless left right. As i said before and you cowardly chose not to refute.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Jefferson clay perhpase the term is meaningless left right. As i said before and you cowardly chose not to refute.

I will admit I am too afraid to try and parse your posts, it's true.

Like the article was premised on this question, "Do you support or oppose movements within the Democratic Party to take it even further to the left and oppose the current Democratic leaders?"

I guess we can't derive any insight there because the term left is meaningless.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 5, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SimonCat posted:

You pulled it out first though.

No I brought it up in response to chilichimp telling people their beliefs are an attack on veterans, so I spoke up to say I am a veteran who shares those beliefs and they are not anti-veteran (just anti-shitbird)

Go away you're being real dumb and tedious.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 5, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

From the same poll.

I love how whenever you post a study, it's gospel truth, but when other people post one, it actually means the opposite of what they're claiming. Even when people poke holes in your studies.

Funny, that. Oh wait, you have a loving broken view of reality, that explains it!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

I will admit I am too afraid to try and parse your posts, it's true.

Its preety simple. Most people have no real concept on what liberal, right, conservative, or left means. Mostly I would argue due to culture war bs. But in those polls the specific questions showed they want the party to be less pro wallstreet. Which you obviously as a sociopath are ignoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
It's probably true that people in the Democratic Party, a famously broad party currently comprising basically all non-insane political actors in the United States, have complicated feelings about the necessity for leftward movement. Some may even think it's the right thing to do even if it hurts the party in elections!

• Locked thread