Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What’s the proper way to initiate a FaceTime-Audio call from Contacts?

I carefully press the handset 📞 icon on the right and like 75% of the time, it initiates a video call instead.

No screen-obscuring case or anything. It’s been an issue for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

dc3k posted:

Ah I meant the haptic feedback. Like the little thud it makes when you 3D Touch an icon. The touch sensitivity itself is fine.

Maybe it’s never been a setting and I’m just misremembering things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m pretty sure all you’ve ever been able to customize in that respect is the home button.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Weedle posted:

I’m pretty sure all you’ve ever been able to customize in that respect is the home button.

This. But I can see why you'd remember it the way you would. :)

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

eddiewalker posted:

What’s the proper way to initiate a FaceTime-Audio call from Contacts?

I carefully press the handset 📞 icon on the right and like 75% of the time, it initiates a video call instead.

No screen-obscuring case or anything. It’s been an issue for a long time.

I've found the most reliable way is to long-press the phone icon at the top of a contact card (where you see the message/mobile/video/mail icons) and choosing Facetime.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
I’m sitting here looking at my old 7+ with full bars/cell signal and my new iPhone X activated yesterday with only 2 bars of service. What gives?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

puppy party posted:

I’m sitting here looking at my old 7+ with full bars/cell signal and my new iPhone X activated yesterday with only 2 bars of service. What gives?

Bars are a convenience and don't tell the whole story?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hello Spaceman posted:

I've found the most reliable way is to long-press the phone icon at the top of a contact card (where you see the message/mobile/video/mail icons) and choosing Facetime.

Oh. Cool. I can initiate Hangouts calls from there too.

Near trick, but I wish the other button worked right.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Any of y’all get the saddle brown case for your X? I’m thinking about getting one.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Reddit is Very Concerned about their evil sibling stealing their phone and...?????

I think we have a scandal brewing ladies and gents :neckbeard:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Does anyone know when they usually release the unlocked versions of the iPhone? I want to grab an iPhone X but I have T-Mobile. The T-Mobile versions don't have CDMA compatibility and I wanted to have the option to switch to Verizon if I need too. I was going to see if I could order a Verizon one and use my T-Mobile sim but you have to have a Verizon account to purchase one

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
A buddy came over last night to hang. He asked for the WiFi password. Just as I unlocked my phone(to send him the string), I got a prompt asking if I wanted to automatically share the WiFi password with him. I confirmed it and he instantly connected to the network.
I was pretty shocked at how seamless the process was. Felt like the “just works” slogan, but with sincerity.

Apples to oranges, but it makes me wish the UI in iOS had that magic. Nothing really seems intuitive anymore, especially when we’re taking shortcuts, and every couple pages someone figures out something they had no idea existed for years. I know the answer to this is “use the Tips app/3D touch everything/longpress everthting” which I can certainly do on my own, but I’d like to see my friends and family similarly using iOS to the best of its ability.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

io_burn posted:

lmao, I talked Joe into posting that. Apple has been so open and honest with the fact that facial similarities between siblings/twins will likely fool Face ID, but sure enough, that post is getting shared like a MOTHERFUCKER. Few things bring more joy to the internet than a perceived chink in Apple's armor.

Yeah those bros might not be twins but might as well be twins for how closely they look alike.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Reddit is Very Concerned about their evil sibling stealing their phone and...?????

I think we have a scandal brewing ladies and gents :neckbeard:

Not as big a scandal as the fact that I am at the hospital right now with FaceID cancer of the face.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Feenix posted:

Not as big a scandal as the fact that I am at the hospital right now with FaceID cancer of the face.

I'd say this is your problem, not Apple's, as Face ID has actually cleared up the blackheads I tend to get on my nose over the summer months (I live in Florida it's still summer)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Feenix posted:

This. But I can see why you'd remember it the way you would. :)

You can customize the amount of feedback a click gives on the MacBook touchpad. I wonder if that's what they were thinking of, given they called it force touch initially.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
What does the iPhone do better than Android?

Sorry if this is a common/irritating question. I have never not had an Android phone, but I'm butthurt about the lack of support I've received for my defective Nexus 6P, and considering a switch.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

enojy posted:

I'd say this is your problem, not Apple's, as Face ID has actually cleared up the blackheads I tend to get on my nose over the summer months (I live in Florida it's still summer)

Yeah but you’re from Florida so searing cancer probably has the opposite effect on your physiology.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bartkusa posted:

Sorry if this is a common/irritating question. I have never not had an Android phone, but I'm butthurt about the lack of support I've received for my defective Nexus 6P, and considering a switch.

Work

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

bartkusa posted:

Get updates.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Seriously. It’s too easy to be screwed out of updates on Android because your phone is a year old or your carrier chooses not to pass the update to you. Or just as bad, you’ll get the next update but your carrier decides to gut a few improvements because ???

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

bartkusa posted:

The biggest difference I can see is that animations and interactions are much much smoother on iOS than Android. I compared my Galaxy S6 and iPhone 6s a few months ago in Google Maps navigation and the Android phone seemed to be running at about 12fps while iOS was super smooth.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

So just fyi, doing this gesture:

Is a lot quicker than the usual method to get to the app switcher.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bartkusa posted:

That's too broad of a question, since Android means many things and it's becoming harder to generalize across all of them now that things like the Pixel exist. Are you talking Samsung-flagship Android? Are you talking Pixel Android? Are you talking LG/HTC/Moto Android? Are you talking no-name Chinaphone Android?

What does the iPhone do objectively better than Android? Well, it certainly integrates with other Apple products and their ecosystem (iCloud, iMessage, AirDrop, etc.) better. Timeliness and guarantees of security and OS updates are certainly more consistent with iOS, but that can be helped by buying a Pixel. Customer service is generally better, though again that can be helped by buying a Pixel. You still won't have a Google Store to walk into to get a same-day swap/repair of a device if needed, but I believe Google's support is supposed to be decent and better than the other Android OEMs.

If you choose the lowest common denominator, then yeah it's easy to argue that Android is still trash. But that's probably not the device you're comparison shopping against.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 4, 2017

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

You can also just let go after sliding up about 1cm

https://youtu.be/TNUwBQRG1rw

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I thought that WAS the usual method.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Hardware wise, Apple tends to be as good or better than the top line Android phones for quality but often lags behind in terms of spec sheet features (the System on a Chip of the last couple generations of iPhone being notable exceptions). So Apple gets wireless charging later than Android, big phones later, OLED later etc etc. But when it comes it's generally more fully integrated into the hardware and OS and tends to work better. (Not always! There are plenty of bugs and annoyances to be had on Apple devices.)

Software wise, Apple tends to go for opinionated consistency over user customization. There are a lot of power user moves that are common on Android but missing on iOS (notifications and laying out widgets/home screens are common complaints - iOS's notifications are not as full featured as Android's and there aren't quite widgets the way there are on Android). Because Apple controls the full iOS deal, there is less bloatware pre-installed and less malware for download. Generally, if you are a new Apple user one of the harder adjustments is letting Apple be Apple and going with what it wants you to do instead of trying to force it to behave the way you are used to. Most of the time, you will find the Apple way works fine for you, once you learn it.

iOS tends to be renown for better polish, stability, and security though the Goon consensus seems to be that iOS 11 was a kind of janky release. Because Apple controls the stack, you get frequent security updates and Apple has over the past few years moved from an annual major update approach to annual updates plus fairly regular point releases with new features. Like with hardware, many features show up in Android first but they tend to be less well implemented than when Apple gets to them.

If you are all-in on Google's ecosystem, Android is clearly more integrated and on iOS it's merely fine. If you have a bunch of Apple products, then there's a lot of great integrations across the ecosystem.

If you are near an Apple Store, Apple's support for broken products (your fault or theirs!) is second to none. Lots of repairs can happen while you wait, or they just give you a new device.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

Hardware wise, Apple tends to be as good or better than the top line Android phones for quality but often lags behind in terms of spec sheet features (the System on a Chip of the last couple generations of iPhone being notable exceptions). So Apple gets wireless charging later than Android, big phones later, OLED later etc etc. But when it comes it's generally more fully integrated into the hardware and OS and tends to work better. (Not always! There are plenty of bugs and annoyances to be had on Apple devices.)

Software wise, Apple tends to go for opinionated consistency over user customization. There are a lot of power user moves that are common on Android but missing on iOS (notifications and laying out widgets/home screens are common complaints - iOS's notifications are not as full featured as Android's and there aren't quite widgets the way there are on Android). Because Apple controls the full iOS deal, there is less bloatware pre-installed and less malware for download. Generally, if you are a new Apple user one of the harder adjustments is letting Apple be Apple and going with what it wants you to do instead of trying to force it to behave the way you are used to. Most of the time, you will find the Apple way works fine for you, once you learn it.

iOS tends to be renown for better polish, stability, and security though the Goon consensus seems to be that iOS 11 was a kind of janky release. Because Apple controls the stack, you get frequent security updates and Apple has over the past few years moved from an annual major update approach to annual updates plus fairly regular point releases with new features. Like with hardware, many features show up in Android first but they tend to be less well implemented than when Apple gets to them.

If you are all-in on Google's ecosystem, Android is clearly more integrated and on iOS it's merely fine. If you have a bunch of Apple products, then there's a lot of great integrations across the ecosystem.

If you are near an Apple Store, Apple's support for broken products (your fault or theirs!) is second to none. Lots of repairs can happen while you wait, or they just give you a new device.

iirc the iphone chip has been considerably better than pretty much anything on android for literally years. the main thing that's changed recently is that now it's not even remotely close

fewer features and ways to customise is the main pitfall but honestly given the updates to ios over the last few years there's really not much i'm hankering for from the other side. it was a pisstake that it took them until 2014 to add a share option, but they did it and did it well. honestly, when i had an android phone i found myself wanting to customise the gently caress out of the interface and strip out bloat it, purely because of the frankly poo poo state that it shipped in. there's not that much to 'fix' in ios relative to android tbh. and the apple specific features they add more often than not actually loving work

i'll tell you what sold me on the iphone: loving scrolling. the iphone is so embarassingly better than every android phone on the market (i am told the pixel comes close but i haven't tried one) at scrolling that it frankly boggles the mind. there are people in the android thread right now complaining that their phone with 4GB RAM that could run the apollo program a million times over cannot scroll without stuttering or lagging. when i had an android phone i literally overclocked the cpu in order to try and improve the responsiveness; didn't really help. i can go into more detail but at this point i view 'can scroll properly' as a pretty reasonable requirement. even loving windows phone managed it

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 5, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

doingitwrong posted:

Because Apple controls the full iOS deal, there is less bloatware pre-installed
Not really sure I'd agree with this. Have you seen a brand new install of iOS? Full iWork suite, Garage Band, etc. are all on there. They can be easily removed, but comparing it to a Pixel it's not really any better. (It's probably still better than Samsung that insists on putting the bad Samsung version of every Google app on their phones so you get TWO email clients and TWO browsers and TWO text messaging apps, etc.)

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Not really sure I'd agree with this. Have you seen a brand new install of iOS? Full iWork suite, Garage Band, etc. are all on there. They can be easily removed, but comparing it to a Pixel it's not really any better. (It's probably still better than Samsung that insists on putting the bad Samsung version of every Google app on their phones so you get TWO email clients and TWO browsers and TWO text messaging apps, etc.)

pretty much any preinstalled bloatware on any android phone is part of the system image and cannot be removed in the course of normal use iirc. even before apple gave you the option to remove most of the preinstalled apps (which are mostly pretty good honestly, at least if they aren't utterly irrelevant to your needs (hello apple watch)), putting them all in a 'bullshit' folder was better than the option on android, where if you opened the app drawer they're all there in an alphabetical list

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
My headphone buttons aren’t working right with this dongle thing. Play/pause/next/prep works fine but volume is sketchy. Have to click a bunch of times really fast for it to change. Works flawlessly on my 6s 🤔🤔🤔🤔

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I need another wireless charger to place by my bedside. The one I got from Best Buy works very well, but the light stays on ALL the time when charging. Any suggestions that isn't going to break my bank? I would like it to have fast charging abilities. That poo poo works on iPhone X right?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

obi_ant posted:

I need another wireless charger to place by my bedside. The one I got from Best Buy works very well, but the light stays on ALL the time when charging. Any suggestions that isn't going to break my bank? I would like it to have fast charging abilities. That poo poo works on iPhone X right?

Electrical tape over the light? :effort:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Electrical tape over the light? :effort:

Nail polish can also be good for these things, until you set it down and something goes wrong so it doesn't charge overnight

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

obi_ant posted:

I got two of the Samsungs that the wirecutter suggested and they have a horrible pulsing blue light.

Why the gently caress is everyone so hard for blue lights. Blue is the hardest fixing color of light to focus on and fucks up your night vision.

Why the gently caress would they put a light like that on something that’ll be used in a bedroom. loving rear end in a top hat design.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Jealous Cow posted:

I got two of the Samsungs that the wirecutter suggested and they have a horrible pulsing blue light.

Why the gently caress is everyone so hard for blue lights. Blue is the hardest fixing color of light to focus on and fucks up your night vision.

Why the gently caress would they put a light like that on something that’ll be used in a bedroom. loving rear end in a top hat design.

Blue and green are the two acceptable colors of "successful interaction" light out there. Red is fine for cameras, as it's meant to be a warning, but not for anything else.

Red-green is the most common type of color blindness, last I knew. This leaves blue.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

doingitwrong posted:

Thanks to you, and everyone else, for the thoughtful replies.

I guess I'll just need to try it, to see if all the polished bits matter to me.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

bartkusa posted:

You need to determine whether what you do on your phone can be done on iOS. If it can all the arguments for/against above are perfectly valid. If you run into things you want / need to do and can't, there's largely no workarounds literally possible and apple fans will double down hard where ever you ask and call you an idiot for wanting to do it at all.

If you just want a phone that's well supported get a pixel, as Google are tilting hard to matching or exceeding apples support.
They've been giving pixels for free to 6P bootloopers, so are you sure you've exhausted the support avenues?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I don’t think anyone answered this: the Apple Store will always have demo units once a product has launched. Third party retailers might wait for stock to catch up.

Thanks. I appreciate it’

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

I wish there was a way to select which apps do this because I like to glance at outlook alerts when they come in.

Zero One posted:

Notifications do not show details while locked on the X. This is kinda cool for things like messages, emails, and others you may want private.

However I just had a news alert pop up that I couldn't read (as I used to do) with the phone sitting on the table. I had to pick it up and unlock to read the alert. I hope they add a way to customize what notifications needs to be hidden.

You can change this in Notifications settings but only as a whole. Not app by app.

Didn't see these responded to but you can change it per app. Settings>Notifications>[App Name] and down at the bottom is an Options section where you can change "Show Previews" to one of "Always", "When Unlocked" (default), or "Never".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How many months/point revisions do you estimate before that horrid swipe-up bar is allowed to be deactivated in Accesibilty or some poo poo?

I say 11.4 at latest.