Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Why are goons so obsessed with titties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Y/O: Kisenosato/Goeido/Hakuho
S/K: Kotoshogiku/Terunofuji/Mitakeumi
M1-5: Ichinojo/Takarafuji/Tochiozan
M6-10: Kaisei/Tochinoshin/Endo
M11+: Kagayaki/Takakaze/Nishikigi

I'm thinking (hoping) that the Yokozuna will all be fairly healthy, and if thats the case, then I'm staying the hell away from M1 through M3. If someone racks up 3 kinboshi or something, then oh well, I'll just miss out on that. Aside from that, I also tried to make my first picks someone that no one else or few others are picking so that my scores are uncorrelated with the field. That can either be good (win the contest) or bad (finish dead last).

Rigel fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 4, 2017

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Alright, everyone's got a draft list. I'm going to go ahead and close entrance to the fantasy-beya early, so I can start doing the draft. If someone comes in in the next 4.5 hours with a draft list I'll figure something out, but I wanna figure out who the teams are. We've got 11 people, so it will still be 3 goons max can hold a given rikishi. Let's see how it shakes out!

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Can I play too?

Y/O Hakuho/Hamfu/Kisenosato
S/K Terunofuji/Onosho/Kotoshogiku
M1-M5 Tamawashi/Tochiozan/Takakeisho
M6-M10 Shodai/Ikioi/Kaisei
M11+ Ura/Aminishiki/Boobsyama

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Under the wire! With 12 people that means 4 goons can hold the same rikishi. nyerf, I'll act like you were at the bottom of the draft, and then see what you get. Let me re-work things real quick.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Alright, here's your heya. The following wrestlers have been chosen by 4 different goons, and currently cannot be traded for: Hakuho, Tamawashi, Shodai, Aoiyama, Takakeisho. Once the basho starts I'll update this page with your daily and total scores. I recommend you all track your individual wrestlers' performance, so you can know if it's time to drop someone. Remember, anyone can call for a trade, but everyone gets to trade for free if you do. Trades will be first-come first-serve. All trading ends before the beginning of nakabi. I've never done this with a large group before, so I might tweak the trading system after this basho.

Diplomat:

Y/O: Hakuho
S/K: Mitakeumi
M1-M5: Tamawashi
M6-M10: Shodai
M11+: Aoiyama

Elissimpark

Y/O: Kakuryu
S/K:Terunofuji
M6-M10: Takanoiwa

Fryhtaning

Y/O: Kisenosato
S/K: Mitakeumi
M1-M5: Chiyotairyu
M11+: Daiamami

Kenning

Y/O: Goeido
S/K: Yoshikaze
M1-M5: Takakeisho
M6-M10: Kaisei
M11+: Asanoyama

Martytoof

Y/O: Takayasu
S/K: Terunofuji
M6-M10: Endo
M11+: Takakaze

nyerf

Y/O: Harumafuji
S/K: Terunofuji
M11+: Ura

Platypus Farm

Y/O: Takayasu
S/K: Onosho
M1-M5: Takekeisho
M6-M10: Tochinoshin
M11+: Ura

Pvt. Public

Tochinoshin

ratmosphere

M6-M10: Daishomaru

Rigel

Y/O: Kisenosato
S/K: Kotoshogiku
M1-M5: Ichinojo
M6-M10: Kaisei
M11+: Kagayaki

sivad

M1-M5: Shohozan
M6-M10: Tochinoshin

Tsaedje

Y/O: Harumafuji
M1-M5: Chiyotairyu

I believe everyone except nyerf was able to get all their first-choice rikishi in this draft, and nyerf just got Kisenosato instead of Hakuho since they came in late. Before nyerf raised the maximum to 4, a couple other people had to take their second-order choice. I think this draft works fairly well, though next time I might fully randomize the drafting in each round.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 5, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kenning posted:

I believe everyone except nyerf was able to get all their first-choice rikishi in this draft, and nyerf just got Kisenosato instead of Hakuho since they came in late.

Yeah, I think you did him a favor. All respect to Hakuho, but I think Kisenosato is gonna go full beast mode this month.

edit: never mind, looks like he got Haru instead.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 5, 2017

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

As far as I'm concerned the only definitively healthy Y/O rikishi is Goeido. Everyone else is on the mend somehow, and we don't really know how in-shape they are. Aki was super weird cause of how many people were kyujo from the start, but I'd be amazed if Kyushu doesn't have a lot of twists and turns in the upper ranks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Having specific dudes to root for is going to be cool this time around. Should be a new experience. Except for Takayasu because never not rooted for Takayasu :cool:

Thanks for putting this together, kenning.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kenning posted:

Remember, anyone can call for a trade, but everyone gets to trade for free if you do. Trades will be first-come first-serve. All trading ends before the beginning of nakabi. I've never done this with a large group before, so I might tweak the trading system after this basho.

By "trade" do you mean a drop-and-pickup of another rikishi if one of your guys goes kyujo? I think that's how you explained it, but it may be good to refresh on the exact "trading" rules now that everything else is in place.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, so I'm actually open to suggestions on trading. When it was just me and ratmosphere during Aki the way it worked was that either person could initiate a trade, but the non-initiating party got to trade first. That made it risky to initiate trading, cause maybe the other guy would get the wrestler you wanted. With this many people that system won't really be viable.

I want there to be some sort of penalty to trading, so people don't just jump ship a bunch. I think it will go like this: everyone gets one free trade. The second trade is a -.5 pt. penalty, and each subsequent trade is -1 pt. That means it's still worth it to trade out a real dud, but you have to pause to think about it. You can trade out any wrestler at any time for another wrestler in the same rank set. You can only trade for wrestlers that are not currently held by 4 people. Trading is first-come first-serve, and all trades must be submitted before the makuuchi matches start for the day (which is now 11 PM Pacific Time, 4 AM Eastern). There will be no more trading once matches start on nakabi (middle Sunday), and you have to stick with your heya for the whole second week.

Is that pretty clear?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Sounds good. So, you can initiate your free trade at any time before Nakabi for any reason.

My only suggestion is that since we each get a free trade and we can opt for more trades if we're willing to pay a penalty, then maybe we don't really need that whole "once one person trades, everyone else can also trade for free that day" rule. I'd say they can just use their own free trade if they want to trade.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Doctors have confirmed that Ura has damaged the ACL in his right knee, but its not completely torn (or he would have been out for sure). He doesn't want to get the surgery to repair it yet, because that would put him out for 3-4 basho. He's training with the intention of entering the tournament.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I get that he doesn't want to sit out for 3-4 basho but risking your ACL is just loving terrible.

Jesus.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

It's because it's not a complete tear- arguably having surgery to 'patch' a partially torn tendon has less demonstrable good outcomes vs fixing a completely ruptured tendon. Surgery can bugger it up worse, I've seen it in shoulders a lot. Slap a brace on him, let him keep his strength up, tell him to be less acrobatic and he might survive another basho and keep his makuuchi pay packet.

I mean really, if you were really serious about preserving your joints you wouldn't be in elite sport as a career. It's easy enough to wreck your knees in any contact sport, weighing 150kg or no.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I read a (translated) interview where Ura's Oyakata said it was Ura's decision and he would have supported him either way. He is worried for Ura though, now that he's chosen to keep wrestling without surgery.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

nyerf posted:

I mean really, if you were really serious about preserving your joints you wouldn't be in elite sport as a career. It's easy enough to wreck your knees in any contact sport, weighing 150kg or no.

Nobody knows hosed up knees better than 140lb soccer players and basketball players that barely crack 20 BMI.

Kenning posted:

Okay, so I'm actually open to suggestions on trading. When it was just me and ratmosphere during Aki the way it worked was that either person could initiate a trade, but the non-initiating party got to trade first. That made it risky to initiate trading, cause maybe the other guy would get the wrestler you wanted. With this many people that system won't really be viable.

I want there to be some sort of penalty to trading, so people don't just jump ship a bunch. I think it will go like this: everyone gets one free trade. The second trade is a -.5 pt. penalty, and each subsequent trade is -1 pt. That means it's still worth it to trade out a real dud, but you have to pause to think about it. You can trade out any wrestler at any time for another wrestler in the same rank set. You can only trade for wrestlers that are not currently held by 4 people. Trading is first-come first-serve, and all trades must be submitted before the makuuchi matches start for the day (which is now 11 PM Pacific Time, 4 AM Eastern). There will be no more trading once matches start on nakabi (middle Sunday), and you have to stick with your heya for the whole second week.

Is that pretty clear?

For the sake of it being the first run and figuring out logistics, I'm tempted to suggest we limit it to only rikishi that have gone kyujo. But if we want to give open trades a try we definitely can. Unless you're able to manage all that just through PMs, Kenning, we should set up a simple system that can sort of run itself from the comments that follow between your daily summaries and say, midnight PST. The best model from fantasy sports I can think of is the waiver wire. Since we don't have a good way to seed the waiver wire, since everyone supposedly got their first choices, I would say the first swapout is free, BUT, you go to the back of the waiver queue.

Example, day 1, when Terunofuji inevitably tears his ACL and dies after falling off the dohyo, Elissim, Marty, and Nyerf all need a new S/K. Elissim comments first and picks up Yoshikaze, automatically going to slot 12 in the waiver queue. From the initial 'standings' that Kenning will do right before the basho starts, Nyerf now knows that Elissim took the 4th Yoshikaze slot, so he picks Kotoshogiku and gets slot 11 in the waiver queue. Kisenosato gives up a kinboshi on day 1, so I panic and pull the plug, swapping him out for Hakuho - nope, I mean Harumafuji since Hakuho is all full up - going into waiver slot 10. Marty then posts later and also picks up Kotoshogiku to replace Terunofuji since he knows there were 2 slots open to begin the day, going to slot 9.

The next day, any other swapouts, due to kyujo or not, start at slot 8 and move back. Let's say 2 more swapouts are done by Rigel and Kenning in slots 8 and 7. 1-6 are still open until everyone has made a move, so anyone who hasn't made a move at that point is virtually in slot "0" for the waiver wire.

The next day, the waiver system starts to make more sense. Aoiyama goes kyujo, so Diplo, Elissim, Public, and Sivad all need a replacement. Even if Elissim posts first (for Aoiyama or someone else), he is in slot 12, so literally everyone else has a priority over him. If he chooses someone and would be the 4th choice for that particular rikishi, ANYONE else ahead of him in the queue can post anytime during the day and have a higher priority. They of course then go to priority 12 in the waiver, and then Elissim is only able to make his move if any openings are left at the end of the day, then slides to one spot higher than everyone else that made a transaction for the day. If you strike out, your consolation prize is to move up to the first NON-EMPTY slot in the queue. Someone who hasn't made a single transaction is still virtually slot 0.

That way the only thing Kenning has to do on a daily basis is post 3 things:
1) The standings
2) The counts of rikishi that are owned
3) The current waiver order

..and everything can be fluid within the thread until everything gets recompiled for the next day. I would say a maximum of one swapout daily so the waiver queue doesn't have to have even more convoluted rules. If you lose two in a day, well that's the way the chanko pours.

Obviously this means we all must be a little vigilant when reading the daily summary. Read the counts and determine if you're able to make a move without having to go through Kenning, and if you gank someone else's choice via the waiver wire, note in your post that you're trumping their pick with your waiver priority. I.e. something like "Swapping [S/K] Terunofuji for [S/K] Yoshikaze. Currently #8 in the queue, and trumping Goony Goonerton's waiver queue #10 selection of Yoshikaze earlier in the day."

Sound fair? It sounds more complicated than it really is, but I've also seen firsthand how much of a shitfest it turns into when one person has to manage all transactions themselves. This way most of that particular work is on us.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You guys will have to be patient with me but yeah.

I'm sure it'll be fine though. My wrestlers STRONG. Other wrestlers WEAK.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

A daily waiver wire could make sense. Obviously "first post gets it" is another easy way to handle it, but that would give the advantage to people who can watch live and post a trade before they go to bed after they see one of their wrestlers die. People who watch live will still get the advantage early on, but eventually we'll have an order. (In january, would we base the waiver order on the finish for the November basho? Why not, that would be fun, players who finish badly gets waiver priority, while the contest winner only gets their waiver choice in January if no one else blocks them)

I'm fine either way, we're not going anywhere and we'll be doing this 6 times a year, we can experiment until we find something we all like.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 6, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rigel posted:

we'll be doing this 6 times a year

God drat this is the best sport

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

oh, another suggestion, and this suggestion is for January, I DO NOT believe we should do this for November because its too late. Letting us collectively have 4 "copies" of the same wrestler seems pretty loose and forgiving. I don't think we can limit to 1 like we do in fantasy sports that have hundreds or thousands of players, but maybe in January we could tighten the screws a bit and try limiting to 3. And if that doesn't seem to cause much tension in trades or the "draft", we may try a limit of 2 in March. In any case, we should stick with 4 for November, because thats how we drafted.

Another thought I just had, I don't want it to turn into "well crap, whoever gets Hakuho is just gonna win then", maybe we can still allow 4 copies in the Y/O rank, 4 copies in the S/K rank, and tighten it up further down.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 6, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Me, sometime in the future:

Friend or family member: "hey, whatcha doin?"

Me: "oh?... nothing special"

Friend or Family: "No really, it looks like you are researching something, what are you trying to figure out?"

Me: "ummmm.... I am trying to.... figure out what move to make in this fantasy sumo contest."

Friend or Family: "Fantasy.... what?"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"just pick the fattest guy in a diaper"

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Rigel posted:

A daily waiver wire could make sense. Obviously "first post gets it" is another easy way to handle it, but that would give the advantage to people who can watch live and post a trade before they go to bed after they see one of their wrestlers die. People who watch live will still get the advantage early on, but eventually we'll have an order. (In january, would we base the waiver order on the finish for the November basho? Why not, that would be fun, players who finish badly gets waiver priority, while the contest winner only gets their waiver choice in January if no one else blocks them)

I'm fine either way, we're not going anywhere and we'll be doing this 6 times a year, we can experiment until we find something we all like.

The "first post gets it" is just to seed the waiver wire since everyone apparently got their first picks, so we don't have another good way to seed it as far as I can tell. It also takes the timing of making a swapout completely out of the equation once everyone has made their first move. But I do like the idea of it carrying over from basho to basho, and definitely agree at keeping the options open. Maybe we keep it at 4 if another half dozen people join, maybe we go down to 3 or even 2 if we stay at 12 or even lose a couple.

I also think the waiver wire also makes it less necessary to have a points penalty, because that's just one more thing to track. Not so much this round with the cap of 4 per rikishi, but definitely so in the future if we tighten up the drafting.

Rigel posted:

Another thought I just had, I don't want it to turn into "well crap, whoever gets Hakuho is just gonna win then", maybe we can still allow 4 copies in the Y/O rank, 4 copies in the S/K rank, and tighten it up further down.

Take a look at Hakuho's last 6 (7, even) basho and get back to me on how well that'd have worked out for someone who drafted him every time - had we been playing for the last year.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fryhtaning posted:

Take a look at Hakuho's last 6 (7, even) basho and get back to me on how well that'd have worked out for someone who drafted him every time - had we been playing for the last year.

True, but I think I was imaging more an Aki situation where everyone dies in Y/O but 2 wrestlers. In the rank and file we got 10 wrestlers per section and a limit of 2 would not be a big deal unless we start getting more than 20 players. In the Sanyaku tho, we may have only a few options available and kyujo is a big deal if you have no other options. So we may need to allow more "copies" in sanyaku.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Rigel posted:

True, but I think I was imaging more an Aki situation where everyone dies in Y/O but 2 wrestlers. In the rank and file we got 10 wrestlers per section and a limit of 2 would not be a big deal unless we start getting more than 20 players. In the Sanyaku tho, we may have only a few options available and kyujo is a big deal if you have no other options. So we may need to allow more "copies" in sanyaku.

Yeah that does kind of blow things up. Maybe in that specific scenario a rank-and-filer can be drafted for any of the higher spots? I mean, if Jose Altuve goes down for the season you can at least pick up some random 2B to fill the spot, but not even being able to fill a hole with anything is kind of lovely. There'd have to be some kind of way to make sure someone who actually needs an M11+ rikishi doesn't get screwed though. :psyduck:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
All you diapered fuckers will rue the day you tried to fight TAKAYASU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Platypus Farm posted:

...:love:TAKAYASU:love:!!!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

Waiver wire.

I'm down to run it this way. In order to deal with potential priority overrules, I think we should treat every trade like the draft, and give 3 ranked choices. That way it won't be that someone wants Yoshikaze, but gets overruled by someone else posting later but with higher priority, and then doesn't get to trade at all They can pick up 'giku instead. And yeah, we can maintain the wire for the January draft, which will help smooth out the fact that the snake still favors the top of the list when there are 5 rank sections.

Rigel posted:

oh, another suggestion, and this suggestion is for January, I DO NOT believe we should do this for November because its too late. Letting us collectively have 4 "copies" of the same wrestler seems pretty loose and forgiving. I don't think we can limit to 1 like we do in fantasy sports that have hundreds or thousands of players, but maybe in January we could tighten the screws a bit and try limiting to 3. And if that doesn't seem to cause much tension in trades or the "draft", we may try a limit of 2 in March. In any case, we should stick with 4 for November, because thats how we drafted.

I think this could work for Hatsu. Maybe it can be 1/3 can hold in the san'yaku, and 1/4 can hold for maegashira, in order to force more diverse strategies.

Fryhtaning posted:

Yeah that does kind of blow things up. Maybe in that specific scenario a rank-and-filer can be drafted for any of the higher spots? I mean, if Jose Altuve goes down for the season you can at least pick up some random 2B to fill the spot, but not even being able to fill a hole with anything is kind of lovely. There'd have to be some kind of way to make sure someone who actually needs an M11+ rikishi doesn't get screwed though. :psyduck:

I think that if we reach a condition where it's no longer viable to follow the distribution rule for san'yaku we can try this. Maybe something like, "If any rank class ever shrinks to be too small to accommodate the full amount of players, then that rank slot can be filled by a wrestler from any lower rank slot, starting at M1-M5." That way you can't have 2 Komusubi, you'd have to actually pick up a rank-and-filer to fill your Y/O slot. If we ever reach a point where there aren't enough M11+ to go around we'll probably just allow more people to hold M11+rikishi, though I doubt it will come to that.

Martytoof posted:

God drat this is the best sport

Yeah sumo loving owns.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fryhtaning posted:

Thats a sweet idea, and it never occured to me to do it that way, but it may be kinda "advanced" for our 1st or even 2nd iteration. A "if there's literally no room, too bad, but we'll let you draft an additional wrestler from the group below" rule. It rewards players who manage to avoid the complete destruction of an Aki basho situation, while still letting everyone have a full heya.

It may be too of an extreme hard-core solution though, We've already got a ton of ideas for this tournament and January, if the rules still seem "wimpy" after January, we can revisit this idea.

edit: never mind, I changed my mind if this is ever needed again, see below

Rigel fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 6, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kenning posted:

I think that if we reach a condition where it's no longer viable to follow the distribution rule for san'yaku we can try this. Maybe something like, "If any rank class ever shrinks to be too small to accommodate the full amount of players, then that rank slot can be filled by a wrestler from any lower rank slot, starting at M1-M5." That way you can't have 2 Komusubi, you'd have to actually pick up a rank-and-filer to fill your Y/O slot. If we ever reach a point where there aren't enough M11+ to go around we'll probably just allow more people to hold M11+rikishi, though I doubt it will come to that.

Yeah I think we (and by we, I really mean I) might have focused too much on the outliers. We can keep this specific situation in mind as an emergency rule that the contest runner (currently you) can invoke when needed.

Specifically, if we have a repeat of wacky Aki, and so many wrestlers go down that there's not enough "copies" for everyone in that rank, then you can step in and say "ok, the people who managed to avoid this massive destruction should be rewarded, but for the rest of you, you can pick an additional wrestler from the rank below".

Unless we start getting over 20 players, we probably won't have to worry about this more than once every few years.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 6, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kenning posted:

I'm down to run it this way. In order to deal with potential priority overrules, I think we should treat every trade like the draft, and give 3 ranked choices. That way it won't be that someone wants Yoshikaze, but gets overruled by someone else posting later but with higher priority, and then doesn't get to trade at all They can pick up 'giku instead. And yeah, we can maintain the wire for the January draft, which will help smooth out the fact that the snake still favors the top of the list when there are 5 rank sections.

That sounds good. If you have a low priority, then you should probably know you are low on the waiver wire and could get your choice ganked so its up to you to specify at least a 2nd or maybe even a 3rd choice. But if you are #2 in the wire maybe you don't bother because you already know you can't be blocked and you say "Keisei is mine, bitches! (RIP Tochinoshin)"

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Trash talking and sumo, what is the world coming to :stare:

I think the ranked choices are good since it acts like a few separate posts at once. Of course just requires even more vigilance from the posters to ensure that they know the current pecking order at the time of their post. And of course nobody is obligated to pick 3 unless someone is kyujo and they really need to make their move that particular day.

If you get your 3rd pick on a particular day (without being stupid and picking someone that already had all 4 slots taken up at the time of posting or something), that would mean that someone else trumped you with their position in the wire, so none of the other rules would have to change. I.e. you move to the highest slot of anyone that made their moves that day. But if nobody trumps you and you're the first one to end up making a move in the end, you're down at #12. That works.

I wish I had been smart enough to add a couple of placeholder posts in the OP back in the day, but I'll try to add our semi-finalized rules (and examples) to the bottom of the OP later on. If this gets active enough, we may even need a new thread next time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kenning posted:

Yeah sumo loving owns.

I think if people could get past the appearance of fat dudes in diapers this would be much more popular. I know it held me back for a while as kind of a 'joke' sport but once I started watching it was much more interesting than I expected.

That said, I still giggle when I see the flubber fly in slow-mo replays.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Your might brings great awe
Your girth stops henka cowards
TAKAYASU-SAN

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

Your might brings great awe
Your girth stops henka cowards
TAKAYASU-SAN

*sheds a single tear*

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

Is there a separate prize for guessing how many kinboshi Hamfu is going to give out this time around?

Ilu Harumafuji but it breaks my heart every time.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I think if people could get past the appearance of fat dudes in diapers this would be much more popular. I know it held me back for a while as kind of a 'joke' sport but once I started watching it was much more interesting than I expected.

That said, I still giggle when I see the flubber fly in slow-mo replays.

I came to sumo in a silly way. I saw a WWF "sumo" match between earthquake and somebody from the early 90s that made me wonder about real sumo. I think my first basho was the january 2016 basho, but it might've been march. Either way, I pretty much just read the OP, fired up one of Jason's videos and was immediately enthralled. I really like the historical/traditional/ceremonial aspect of it, and I love the costumes and all that, but the first time I saw hakuho open palm strike someone in the face and blood shot out, I realized these guys were every shred as hard as any other combat sport athlete. I never really got into MMA, but I've been a lifelong boxing and wrestling (both amateur and pro) fan so it's a perfect fit.

Anyway, its gotten so ridiculous now that my wife and I are planning a fantasy trip to japan when the kids are old enough, and when I said we had to go during one of the sumo hall basho months, without batting an eye, she was like "yeah of course."

It's strange, I guess, but it just really clicks with me. The incredible strength, the training, the fact that there are six tournaments a year, so it feels like your'e never too far away from some cool sumo. I think also it helps that I can stay completely up to date in like 20 minutes a day during a basho instead of parking on my rear end for hours or whatever.

Well, and my stubble-faced murder god takayasu-sama

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to Japan in April for kyudo-related stuff but that'll miss the basho altogether. Going to go back in September too for three weeks so I'll definitely try to post LIVE FROM THE SCENE OF TAKAYASU'S LATEST VICTORY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The week after Nagoya finished I hosted a sumo party where I just queued up Jason's whole Nagoya playlist on the TV. We had sake and onigiri and probably something like 20 people came through over the course of the day. I've had multiple people be like, "When are you gonna have another sumo party" and "Honestly I started to really get into it." We're gonna do a party for Aki this coming Saturday, and I think we're gonna get another big turnout.

One thing that helps people get into it quickly I think is that you can reasonably sit down and watch 30 bouts in a sitting no problem. That way you start to recognize patterns, and ascertain strategy and stuff in your first couple viewings, which helps you get hooked. It takes a much longer commitment to see a comparable number of boxing matches or Formula 1 races or football games or whatever.