Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Tht nd rmvng ll th vwls n th sntnc nd stll hvng t b rdbl.

: Fck, wht shmfl snp.

HerStuddMuffin fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Re: DJI - remember that I am the exact rear end in a top hat who got swindled by jackasses like CG's siblings in these piss-poor factories turning out corrugated horseshit. I'm intimately familiar (now) with the ins and outs of the loving Ponzi scheme that is Shenzen manufacturing.

DJI is a legitimately good company.

I don't mean this in the sense that they do not do bad things - they have blatantly stolen designs from uppity competitors and forced others into humiliating buy outs using their utterly corrupt connections to the government. Much like any other Chinese company given half a chance.

I mean that in the sense that they provide a wide array of products that are priced very competitively and deliver exactly what they advertise. From a $4K quadcopter to a $100 flying plastic shitpile, you get exactly what they advertise and exactly what you pay for. And if you don't get what you pay for, they legitimately stand by their products and will replace them.

My company roomed with another company that did drone services for a bit and the owner of the drone company had been in the space for over 15 years - he basically confirmed my perceptions when it came up. He specifically said that if you could beat them on either quality or price you could undermine them pretty easy, but the reality of the situation is that DJI does both very, very well.

And as a footnote, CG sounds like a decent cook now. Her mother sucks, that meal sounds loving delicious.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Tht nd rmvng ll th vwls n th sntnc nd stll hvng t b rdbl.

: Fck, wht shmfl snp.

zr vwl snp, shmfl s fck. bn ths mthrfckr

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
You guys are jerks. Maybe I'll read out Haier's adventures to anger the mods.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

WarpedNaba posted:

You guys are jerks. Maybe I'll read out Haier's adventures to anger the mods.

loving YES PLEASE

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
"Girl had a stank rear end, had to throw up, neighbor's kids were turning off the electricity to my flat randomly. Somebody started to powerdrill the walls at 1am. The end."

Tbh, I'd read that book.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

m g.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
A lot of ancient written languages omitted vowels as part of the grammar. It makes interpreting the texts loving frustrating for us though because of all the homographs.

On the topic of "Chinese don't speak Mandarin", it's really nothing at all like saying "Native English speakers mess up their/there/they're all the time too". Those are minor grammar mistakes specifically introduced in the written form of the language. The issue we're describing is that the regional languages of China never went away despite whatever propaganda the Chinese government wants you to believe about "1 billion speakers of Mandarin".

See, China is a culturally diverse place where lots of ethnic groups have moved in and out over the years. Areas are geographically isolated and are influenced by neighboring traders and centuries of geo-political activity. This has resulted in myriad languages spoken across the nation.

And I'm specifically using the word language here. I think "dialect" is something of a bullshit term and is used to downplay the significant differences between these forms of communication. The only thing these languages have in common is that they share a writing system (mostly sorta kinda).

The way the Chinese government downplays these languages would be kind of like if Germans started referring to English as a "German dialect". Sure, there's some commonality and they have their origins in the same language family, but it's not like a German speaker and an English speaker can actually communicate in a meaningful way. And it's not like English popped out of German one afternoon. They evolved in different places at the same time, often responding to similar pressures, but they are by no means parent and child languages.

The Chinese government sort of skirts that by using the term "Chinese dialects" to refer to the Chinese branch of the Sino-Tibetan language family in general while implying that those other languages are actually just dialects of Mandarin, which is itself just one of those included "dialects".

So, when they say, "Shanghainese is a Chinese dialect," you hear, "Shanghainese is a dialect of Mandarin," but technically they're saying, "Shanghainese is a member of the broader Chinese language branch of Sino-Tibetan." At least if I give them the benefit of the doubt. I bet a lot of Chinese believe the second, possibly even speakers of Shanghainese if some goon stories are to be believed. And for the record, Shanghainese is based on Wu. It's not Mandarin at all.

In short, you have a billion speakers who may not be able to communicate with each other even if they're from neighboring towns. You have a government that wants to ignore that while you also have regional movements pushing to make their variants officially recognized and taught in schools as the language of instruction. Meanwhile, a bunch of Chinese think they speak Mandarin when they really totally don't and foreign students of Mandarin are completely at a loss trying to communicate with them.

Like everything else in China, it's a loving mess.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Isn't a fuckload of china's infrastructure from the last 30 odd years though? A bit impatient and short sighted to see what the chinese are doing as technically wrong. if you go to a public school administered by them, you're getting the state approved mandarin at least in most cases right? That doesn't mean a lot right now, give it 3-4 generations of some growth barring total catastrophe and nobody will speak those dialects except as secondary.

Not gonna make a case for this being right and obviously they're lying about language penetration at this very second, but their statements will become true if their will to administer the state is uninterrupted for a few decades more.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Atlas Hugged posted:

A lot of ancient written languages omitted vowels as part of the grammar. It makes interpreting the texts loving frustrating for us though because of all the homographs.

On the topic of "Chinese don't speak Mandarin", it's really nothing at all like saying "Native English speakers mess up their/there/they're all the time too". Those are minor grammar mistakes specifically introduced in the written form of the language. The issue we're describing is that the regional languages of China never went away despite whatever propaganda the Chinese government wants you to believe about "1 billion speakers of Mandarin".

See, China is a culturally diverse place where lots of ethnic groups have moved in and out over the years. Areas are geographically isolated and are influenced by neighboring traders and centuries of geo-political activity. This has resulted in myriad languages spoken across the nation.

And I'm specifically using the word language here. I think "dialect" is something of a bullshit term and is used to downplay the significant differences between these forms of communication. The only thing these languages have in common is that they share a writing system (mostly sorta kinda).

The way the Chinese government downplays these languages would be kind of like if Germans started referring to English as a "German dialect". Sure, there's some commonality and they have their origins in the same language family, but it's not like a German speaker and an English speaker can actually communicate in a meaningful way. And it's not like English popped out of German one afternoon. They evolved in different places at the same time, often responding to similar pressures, but they are by no means parent and child languages.

The Chinese government sort of skirts that by using the term "Chinese dialects" to refer to the Chinese branch of the Sino-Tibetan language family in general while implying that those other languages are actually just dialects of Mandarin, which is itself just one of those included "dialects".

So, when they say, "Shanghainese is a Chinese dialect," you hear, "Shanghainese is a dialect of Mandarin," but technically they're saying, "Shanghainese is a member of the broader Chinese language branch of Sino-Tibetan." At least if I give them the benefit of the doubt. I bet a lot of Chinese believe the second, possibly even speakers of Shanghainese if some goon stories are to be believed. And for the record, Shanghainese is based on Wu. It's not Mandarin at all.

In short, you have a billion speakers who may not be able to communicate with each other even if they're from neighboring towns. You have a government that wants to ignore that while you also have regional movements pushing to make their variants officially recognized and taught in schools as the language of instruction. Meanwhile, a bunch of Chinese think they speak Mandarin when they really totally don't and foreign students of Mandarin are completely at a loss trying to communicate with them.

Like everything else in China, it's a loving mess.

Do you know our china have 1 language with many dialect.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Cantonese is the best dialect of chinese btw.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

basic hitler posted:

Isn't a fuckload of china's infrastructure from the last 30 odd years though? A bit impatient and short sighted to see what the chinese are doing as technically wrong. if you go to a public school administered by them, you're getting the state approved mandarin at least in most cases right? That doesn't mean a lot right now, give it 3-4 generations of some growth barring total catastrophe and nobody will speak those dialects except as secondary.

Not gonna make a case for this being right and obviously they're lying about language penetration at this very second, but their statements will become true if their will to administer the state is uninterrupted for a few decades more.

You're assuming that those teachers actually speak Mandarin.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Kharnifex posted:

"Alabama peanut farmer being transported to China. "

Well goooolllllyyyyyyy!

I'd watch this show.

Flash cut to two years later, where the party is sending their top bowlcuts to investigate a small town who suddenly developed modern methods of farming, became a close knit community, and formed a healthy trade with nearby towns based on long term benefit and mutual respect.

*Jim Bob, looking on from a nearby hillside. His past years work in flames, as the agents of the state destroy his good-natured labors-

"Well goooolllllyyyyyyy!"

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Double Monocle fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 5, 2017

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Double Monocle posted:

Flash cut to two years later, where the party is sending their top bowlcuts to investigate a small town who suddenly developed modern methods of farming, became a close knit community, and formed a healthy trade with nearby towns based on long term benefit and mutual respect.

And then razing it to the ground?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atlas Hugged posted:

You're assuming that those teachers actually speak Mandarin.

And the students use it. As someone living in Sichuan, which has a quite healthy local language, I can assure you the government attempts to make everyone speak Mandarin are not succeeding here. People sort of learn it and often speak in a pidgin called Chuanpu, but most people speak Sichuan and their Mandarin isn't great.

Cantonese never went away at all and Shanghainese is having a revival. I don't know about the other local languages.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

And the students use it. As someone living in Sichuan, which has a quite healthy local language, I can assure you the government attempts to make everyone speak Mandarin are not succeeding here. People sort of learn it and often speak in a pidgin called Chuanpu, but most people speak Sichuan and their Mandarin isn't great.

Chuanpu was briefly popular in the States as well, but recently people haven't been so hot on that rhetoric.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like everything the CCP does culturally is a form of oppression and elimination of another culture. Its genocide but for culture.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My aunt took Chinese classes so she could communicate better with her mother-in-law who had lived in Chicago for 20 years but barely understood English because Chinatown.
Then she learned that mother-in-law only speaks some Hakka dialect and her Mandarin is even worse than her English.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Best thread in GBS.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

WarpedNaba posted:

To be fair, English isn't too much better as far as native proficiency goes. I have people in their 30s/40s who still gently caress up there/their/they're constantly.

LOL, yeah, but that's not really the same thing. Back in the summer I was taking a Chinese class in Taiwan and spent the first three weeks with a classmate who was born in China but immigrated to the US when he was about 12. His speaking was good, but he had trouble with 的 得 地 etc.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

peanut posted:

My aunt took Chinese classes so she could communicate better with her mother-in-law who had lived in Chicago for 20 years but barely understood English because Chinatown.
Then she learned that mother-in-law only speaks some Hakka dialect and her Mandarin is even worse than her English.

lmao. Thank you

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
A Tale of Chaoshan Maidens (via Wechat)

quote:

You know my neighbor. Age 29, not married. Woman. English teacher.
6000 rmb a month.
Her father says many bad words to her everyday.
But then he told my father that even he though hates his daughter she still he gives 4000rmb from her salary to him.
Every month.
My father told me that, and I told him the daughter hates her father to death. You don't know that.
Then my father shut up.
I said his daughter is yelling all day saying she wants to go to Shenzhen, live alone. You will never understand what is her life now.
And you will never understand she hates herself. Wants to kill herself everyday.
Then my mom shut up.
So now he has 3 daughters. One was my good friend.

Anyway, everyday they told me some other daughter of their friend.
And then I always told them the daughter hates them.
Hates them so much. Hates them to death.
LOL if your disgusting useless unmarried female daughter isn't giving you a 70% of her salary because the greedy parents built it into the culture. If she isn't married, she has no use, no purpose, no life, and is unfit to breath the air of all of the marrieds.

quote:

Yes. I told her (CG's mom) I don't hate them (CG's parents). Because I never sacrifice my own benefit to you both. Or I didn't sacrifice too much.
Or I hate them too .
And I said I don't like my good age life was sacrifice to your gambling.
Because she told me another neighbor's daughter gave her mom 10k for 1 month.
I don't care.
I won't give that money.
If your daughter is unmarried, you automatically earn any right to her money, despite treating her like garbage and reminding her she will never be as important as a boy, who actually doesn't have to give any of his money to the parents.

quote:

And the underwear industries is not good now.
Very bad actually.
Many boss are broke.
One of my rich relatives had the biggest underwear industries in my hometown.
And now their factory is so small.
Before was 600 workers.
Now maybe less than 300 workers.
Half.
And many small factories are broke.
I can think of a few Thai people I know that made huge money off of selling these Chaoshan underwears in Thailand. I think only one of them does it now, the rest moved on to something better.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

basic hitler posted:

The rhetoric is that speaking non-Mandarin dialects is uncivilized, which I think is sucky. People also use it a way to dehumanize others. I saw a man very slowly and rudely speak baby Mandarin to a waitress at a Muslim restaurant (who definitely spoke Mandarin) which ties into the "all non-Han are lovely garbage except when we want to eat their food" bullshit attitude towards even recognized minorities. Just my opinion.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Also, I now have a crush on CG.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
DOES NOT COMPUTE

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

CG's written word sounds a lot like trump's speech.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

peanut posted:

My friend's girlfriend can barely communicate with her own parents because they 1) barely speak English and 2) only speak Taishanese.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

nickmeister posted:

My friend's girlfriend can barely communicate with her own parents because they 1) barely speak English and 2) only speak Taishanese.

I'm surprised she doesn't speak Taishanese, in that case.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
She speaks a little bit, less than her non-Chinese boyfriend. I think they were just really adamant that their child speaks English.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
My in-laws have been here over 2 months again. They are thankfully leaving soon. There's a number of things that happened but I'll type up the "best" one. I didn't really feel like typing this up because it makes me more mad than anything. I don't really find it funny as it's mostly just infuriating.

Just like people in this thread have been saying, Chinese people are terrible at eating. My in-laws are from Shandong and eat a bunch of "Mantou" every meal. This is white flour and water mixed into dough, then steamed. It's basically just as bad as white rice, and it tastes just as bland. They probably eat 2-3 of these every single meal no matter what. They go through like 3 bags of flour in 2 weeks.

Mantou is basically just really bad bread

In addition to the mantou, every meal they eat some kind of vegetables and meat stir-fried together. After the stirfrying is done, they pour some water into there, which they call "soup". So every single dish they eat is just one vegatable and one meat sit-fried together with water dumped in it. They also will eat egg/tomato mixtures. They also eat rice porridge. They eat like barbarians and slurp everything as loud as possible.

I find this food extremely bland and can only eat it once in a while. There's no flavor added other than a light dash of soysauce, and it's simply the most boring and plain food I've had. It's at least not offensively bad tasting, but it's just too boring to eat often.

They hang around the house all day in their pajamas and never go out. The ONLY time they actively want to go out is to go to the Chinese grocery store. We tried to get them to go do some fun stuff downtown, but they backed out at the last minute and said "Let's just go to the Chinese grocery store."

Around the end of their first month here, right after my wife gave birth, they said they "had no food" and "needed to go to Lotus (Chinese store.)" They seemed extremely stressed out and concerned that they had "no food." They cook like clockwork 3x per day. At 7am, 1pm, and 6pm. My wife and I tried to cook for them or take them places, but they always very visibly hated it. Sometimes MIL even would say "This tastes disgusting."

My wife told me I needed to take them to Lotus so they would stop complaining. I got them in the car with me, and it's worth noting that they both have that godawful Chinese BO. I think they take a shower like once every two weeks, maybe less? They sit in the backseat together when I drive as if I were a limo driver, but I can smell the strong BO all the way from the back.

Lotus is in the "Strip District" of Pittsburgh, and it's next to this non-Chinese store that specializes in meat at really good prices. This store even has signs up in Chinese because they sell poo poo like chicken gizzards etc. My in-laws were very excited to go to both places. I had to park a few blocks away because Lotus has a free spot to park there rather than doing pay parking. We park and got out, and I started walking toward Lotus with them.

I was actually planning on telling them "Meet me here in 1.5 hours" so I could go somewhere interesting while they shopped.

We were walking toward Lotus, which is downhill from the parking spot, and suddenly I saw someone just face plant onto the ground next to me. I looked down and saw my mother-in-law just facedown on the concrete. You know how when western people trip, they have an instinctive reaction to put their hands out and brace the fall? I didn't see the moment of impact except for in my peripheral vision, but it looked like she just fell face first into the sidewalk.

There were like three other American people standing near us as she fell, and they pulled out some tissue paper while I helped MIL stand up. She got up and her entire face was just like bleeding and cut up. She had 6-7 separate bleeding gashes all over her face. Her wrists (which confirms to me she landed without getting her hands out at all) were also cut up, and her pants were all scuffed up.

The American people hand the tissues to us, and she took one and started pressing it against some of the bleeding cuts on her face.

I said, "Let's go home and then (my wife) will go to the urgent care clinic with you."

It didn't look bad enough that I had to rush her there, and I figured it would be better if my wife could translate for her.

My father-in-law looked at me with this super worried look, then he looked back over his shoulder at Lotus, which is just like 50 steps away, and said "But we don't have any food at home..."

I just said "Are you serious? She's injured really badly, we need to leave."

He said, "I will go in and quickly buy food, then we can go."

Mother-in-law looked at me and says she's fine even though her face was just like totally hosed up. She said we needed the food.

I didn't want to deal with them acting like dumb babies, so I just called my wife and put her on the phone with my mother-in-law, hoping she'd make them just leave and go home.

While they were on the phone ,my father-in-law was just talking at me with increasing urgency that he could just get the food really really fast, but he said he needed my credit card. I decided I really didn't want to have to drive back here again, and I also told myself if they ever want to do something really loving dumb that makes no sense, I'd just let them rather than arguing pointlessly with them for an extended period.

I gave him the card and said "HURRY!"

He ran off sheepishly toward Lotus. It's worth noting that other than his gold pajamas he wears all day, which have 5,000-years-of-culture items on it like rice, seal script, etc., he has one single green polo shirt. This is his "outside shirt" So he was in his outside polo and dad jeans, and he was half-rear end rushing toward Lotus to make a show of how fast he was going to shop.

After he was out of sight, I got the phone and my wife just says "Let them shop, they will have to come here again if you don't."

I stood there with my mother in law on the sidewalk, leaning against this metal guardrail thing while she held these few tissue papers up to her face. After something like 20-30 minutes, he finally came out with physically as many groceries as he could carry. It was like 10 bags and you could see by the way he carried them that he barely could lift them. I snatched them out of his hands and said, "Okay, that took way too long, let's go."

He looked up at me and said. "But...I only got vegetables," then he points over toward the meat place. "I still need to get meat."

I said "No, we're leaving."

I turned around and started walking toward the car with the bags. I thought that if I just went without arguing they would give up and just follow me back. I didn't want to look back in case they tried to argue, and I wanted them to see how mad I was. When I turned the corner after a block, I looked back and saw mother-in-law still standing alone by the guard-rail, and father-in-law was gone.

I went back down and mother-in-law said he would be really fast.

I stood there for like 15-20 minutes and he was still in there. I told her I was going to go get him.

I went through the seafood and then to the regular meat, and I see father-in-law staring down at something and not moving. I walked up right beside him and stood there with my arms crossed. He was lifting up various pre-packed containers of pigs feet, comparing the weight/price combos. I stood there and remembered the "Chinese people have no peripheral vision" thing from this thread. He seriously couldn't see me at all even though I was right next to him.

He finally settled on one pigs feet container after a full minute or so--and keep in mind he'd been deliberating well before I arrived, so in no way was he at all trying to hurry even though his wife was bleeding outside with her face all hosed up.

He then turned toward me, looked me right in the eye, and made what is probably the dumbest looking face I've ever seen. It was like this stupid, idiotic, flabbergasted look where his eyes bugged out and his mouth just fell slack like he was in a coma. Then he made this sound that was kind of like "Ughghhhhhhwaaaahhhhhhhh????" Finally, he used words, and said, "Oh, you're here?"

I said, "Let's go, come on."

He then made me tell the guy behind the meat counter to cut a piece of some chunk of meat, and we got that and I forced him to finally leave.

When we got home my wife saw her mom's face and started crying because it looked so bad, and she took her to the urgent care place. I think it ended up taking like 3-4 weeks for her face to fully heal.

After that happened I've refused to eat any of their cooking.

Shortly after that my wife blew up on her father-in-law for how he used to physically abuse her as a kid, yet he's lived here for two months after that. They didn't talk to each other for almost two weeks, but now she just makes excuses for him again.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 5, 2017

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

these people will rule the world in 2020, folks

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
who live in china for years and doesnt have chinese inlaws?

yadatme

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

angel opportunity posted:

My in-laws have been here over 2 months again. They are thankfully leaving soon. There's a number of things that happened but I'll type up the "best" one. I didn't really feel like typing this up because it makes me more mad than anything. I don't really find it funny as it's mostly just infuriating.

:stonkhat: thank you for sharing angel opportunity. I can only begin to imagine what two months of this has done to your mental health.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Just like people in this thread have been saying, Chinese people are terrible at eating. My in-laws are from Shandong and eat a bunch of "Mantou" every meal. This is white flour and water mixed into dough, then steamed. It's basically just as bad as white rice, and it tastes just as bland. They probably eat 2-3 of these every single meal no matter what. They go through like 3 bags of flour in 2 weeks.

Mantou is basically just really bad bread

In addition to the mantou, every meal they eat some kind of vegetables and meat stir-fried together. After the stirfrying is done, they pour some water into there, which they call "soup". So every single dish they eat is just one vegatable and one meat sit-fried together with water dumped in it. They also will eat egg/tomato mixtures. They also eat rice porridge. They eat like barbarians and slurp everything as loud as possible.

I find this food extremely bland and can only eat it once in a while. There's no flavor added other than a light dash of soysauce, and it's simply the most boring and plain food I've had. It's at least not offensively bad tasting, but it's just too boring to eat often.

They hang around the house all day in their pajamas and never go out. The ONLY time they actively want to go out is to go to the Chinese grocery store. We tried to get them to go do some fun stuff downtown, but they backed out at the last minute and said "Let's just go to the Chinese grocery store."

Around the end of their first month here, right after my wife gave birth, they said they "had no food" and "needed to go to Lotus (Chinese store.)" They seemed extremely stressed out and concerned that they had "no food." They cook like clockwork 3x per day. At 7am, 1pm, and 6pm. My wife and I tried to cook for them or take them places, but they always very visibly hated it. Sometimes MIL even would say "This tastes disgusting."

My wife told me I needed to take them to Lotus so they would stop complaining. I got them in the car with me, and it's worth noting that they both have that godawful Chinese BO. I think they take a shower like once every two weeks, maybe less? They sit in the backseat together when I drive as if I were a limo driver, but I can smell the strong BO all the way from the back.

Lotus is in the "Strip District" of Pittsburgh, and it's next to this non-Chinese store that specializes in meat at really good prices. This store even has signs up in Chinese because they sell poo poo like chicken gizzards etc. My in-laws were very excited to go to both places. I had to park a few blocks away because Lotus has a free spot to park there rather than doing pay parking. We park and got out, and I started walking toward Lotus with them.

I was actually planning on telling them "Meet me here in 1.5 hours" so I could go somewhere interesting while they shopped.

We were walking toward Lotus, which is downhill from the parking spot, and suddenly I saw someone just face plant onto the ground next to me. I looked down and saw my mother-in-law just facedown on the concrete. You know how when western people trip, they have an instinctive reaction to put their hands out and brace the fall? I didn't see the moment of impact except for in my peripheral vision, but it looked like she just fell face first into the sidewalk.

There were like three other American people standing near us as she fell, and they pulled out some tissue paper while I helped MIL stand up. She got up and her entire face was just like bleeding and cut up. She had 6-7 separate bleeding gashes all over her face. Her wrists (which confirms to me she landed without getting her hands out at all) were also cut up, and her pants were all scuffed up.

The American people hand the tissues to us, and she took one and started pressing it against some of the bleeding cuts on her face.

I said, "Let's go home and then (my wife) will go to the urgent care clinic with you."

It didn't look bad enough that I had to rush her there, and I figured it would be better if my wife could translate for her.

My father-in-law looked at me with this super worried look, then he looked back over his shoulder at Lotus, which is just like 50 steps away, and said "But we don't have any food at home..."

I just said "Are you serious? She's injured really badly, we need to leave."

He said, "I will go in and quickly buy food, then we can go."

Mother-in-law looked at me and says she's fine even though her face was just like totally hosed up. She said we needed the food.

I didn't want to deal with them acting like dumb babies, so I just called my wife and put her on the phone with my mother-in-law, hoping she'd make them just leave and go home.

While they were on the phone ,my father-in-law was just talking at me with increasing urgency that he could just get the food really really fast, but he said he needed my credit card. I decided I really didn't want to have to drive back here again, and I also told myself if they ever want to do something really loving dumb that makes no sense, I'd just let them rather than arguing pointlessly with them for an extended period.

I gave him the card and said "HURRY!"

He ran off sheepishly toward Lotus. It's worth noting that other than his gold pajamas he wears all day, which have 5,000-years-of-culture items on it like rice, seal script, etc., he has one single green polo shirt. This is his "outside shirt" So he was in his outside polo and dad jeans, and he was half-rear end rushing toward Lotus to make a show of how fast he was going to shop.

After he was out of sight, I got the phone and my wife just says "Let them shop, they will have to come here again if you don't."

I stood there with my mother in law on the sidewalk, leaning against this metal guardrail thing while she held these few tissue papers up to her face. After something like 20-30 minutes, he finally came out with physically as many groceries as he could carry. It was like 10 bags and you could see by the way he carried them that he barely could lift them. I snatched them out of his hands and said, "Okay, that took way too long, let's go."

He looked up at me and said. "But...I only got vegetables," then he points over toward the meat place. "I still need to get meat."

I said "No, we're leaving."

I turned around and started walking toward the car with the bags. I thought that if I just went without arguing they would give up and just follow me back. I didn't want to look back in case they tried to argue, and I wanted them to see how mad I was. When I turned the corner after a block, I looked back and saw mother-in-law still standing alone by the guard-rail, and father-in-law was gone.

I went back down and mother-in-law said he would be really fast.

I stood there for like 15-20 minutes and he was still in there. I told her I was going to go get him.

I went through the seafood and then to the regular meat, and I see father-in-law staring down at something and not moving. I walked up right beside him and stood there with my arms crossed. He was lifting up various pre-packed containers of pigs feet, comparing the weight/price combos. I stood there and remembered the "Chinese people have no peripheral vision" thing from this thread. He seriously couldn't see me at all even though I was right next to him.

He finally settled on one pigs feet container after a full minute or so--and keep in mind he'd been deliberating well before I arrived, so in no way was he at all trying to hurry even though his wife was bleeding outside with her face all hosed up.

He then turned toward me, looked me right in the eye, and made what is probably the dumbest looking face I've ever seen. It was like this stupid, idiotic, flabbergasted look where his eyes bugged out and his mouth just fell slack like he was in a coma. Then he made this sound that was kind of like "Ughghhhhhhwaaaahhhhhhhh????" Finally, he used words, and said, "Oh, you're here?"

I said, "Let's go, come on."

He then made me tell the guy behind the meat counter to cut a piece of some chunk of meat, and we got that and I forced him to finally leave.

When we got home my wife saw her mom's face and started crying because it looked so bad, and she took her to the urgent care place. I think it ended up taking like 3-4 weeks for her face to fully heal.

After that happened I've refused to eat any of their cooking.

Shortly after that my wife blew up on her father-in-law for how he used to physically abuse her as a kid, yet he's lived here for two months after that. They didn't talk to each other for almost two weeks, but now she just makes excuses for him again.

:sever:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

:piss:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Flame looks fake...? Not sure because I'm watching on my pgpne. But why add fire when it's already good enough?

Also that in laws story was hilarious. Is Chinese culture a homebody culture?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Just like people in this thread have been saying, Chinese people are terrible at eating. My in-laws are from Shandong and eat a bunch of "Mantou" every meal. This is white flour and water mixed into dough, then steamed. It's basically just as bad as white rice, and it tastes just as bland. They probably eat 2-3 of these every single meal no matter what. They go through like 3 bags of flour in 2 weeks. [...]

God dammit. kick your FIL's rear end, man

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

That fire is real yo. Also seconding the China Dad beatdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to Beijing for work for 10 days soon, this thread has gotten me very excited for it :neckbeard:

• Locked thread