Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

MaxDuo posted:

I like playing the Switch while making GBS threads and/or drinking

Don't drink and defecate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah I had no idea how detailed a rumble system could be, it's really something else.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Man the ending of Mario Odyssey is :discourse:

You aren't kidding, holy poo poo. Just smiling for an entire hour.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if anyone was looking for a spare 3rd party charger, the whiteoak brand one on amazon for 16 dollars works just as good as the real 30 dollar one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ciaphas posted:

You aren't kidding, holy poo poo. Just smiling for an entire hour.

I want them to build a whole game around the taking control of Bowser part. The moveset there was so fun I want a whole game with that

Also I just remembered we're getting a new Yoshi and Kirby sometime early 2018 right? :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Though now that I've reached the credits in Odyssey, I don't really feel a compulsion to continue (after getting to 250 and unlocking the last level, anyway), which I didn't expect

Probably just because I have Golf Story to play, and I want to start a new BotW file (only got 1/4 or so of the way through the main story on the other file, and it's been a while which compels me to start over). Not sure which I want to do first to be honest

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

started in on GONNER this arvo and its got a great gloomy incomprehensible vibe going on. very enjoyable so far

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Ciaphas posted:

(after getting to 250 and unlocking the last level, anyway)

I have some bad news for you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Argue posted:

I have some bad news for you.

Yeah, the bad news was already delivered. I'm now in decision crisis mode here. :cry:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to rearrange the order of games on your home screen? Like, I bought Sonic Mania and it took the leftmost slot, but I'd rather it be in the second.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Is there a way to rearrange the order of games on your home screen? Like, I bought Sonic Mania and it took the leftmost slot, but I'd rather it be in the second.

nope. itll put whatever you played most recently in the leftmost spot though so it will change

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello thread. I was away for the last few days loving on Super Mario Odyssey :D

I have seen some reports about the gross derail that occurred about Anime.
I would just like to stress that it is not a crime to like Anime or even talk about Anime when there are some excellent Anime games out there.

It is gross to imply that anyone who does likes it is only doing so for criminal reasons, such a paedophilia. This is a heinous simplification of what Anime is and is unacceptable. I know very little about Anime and manga and have had no real contact with it or Japanese culture, but I do not feel as though the whole genre should be tarnished in such a way that accuses other posters who enjoy it of sexualising children.

When we discuss anime games (I am fairly certain things like Persona and Tales of Berseria were really well received here in games) that we do not devolve into these kinds of baseless accusations. I would really appreciate it. Thank you all! :D

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dizz posted:

When will they port Hungry Hungry Hippos or Mouse Trap to the Switch?
A game of zany action, a crazy contraption, the fun is catchin'? They already did, friend, and we're all collecting moons in it.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

Stupid question but there's no way to transfer save games between the WiiU and Switch versions of Zelda right?
I’d buy Zelda again if this was possible but it’s the sort of thing Nintendo would never do.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's literally the opposite of lying and it's loving absurd that a bug like that didn't get caught in QA or cert. Between this, Stardew's dock issues and Sonic Mania's home menu bugs it really makes me wonder what the gently caress Nintendo's cert is doing.

You’re new to clickbait titles?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

The more I earn about XC2's battle system, the more worried I get.
It seems to be less character-interactive than XC's well-executed and utterly fun system of hate-grabbing, buffs & debuffs, chain combos and such.
I get the feeling it's more like XCX's battles that were pretty but not anywhere near as much fun.
So much of XCX was just button mashing without worrying too much about other characters were up to.

Outside of Chain attacks, XC and XCX had the exact same amount of interaction with your party members. Daze isn't in XCX, but it added a different alternative to Topple with Bind. The only real difference is that you could, eventually, get whatever arts/skills on the main character in XCX once you mastered classes to use whatever weapon types you want, but how much that matters depends on the classes you choose to level up and it takes a long while to master a class.

Besides that, Chain attacks were just badly designed in XC1 anyways, so calling the character-interaction "well-executed" is a real big stretch when the system is way more random (especially compared to XCX soul voices, which are actually consistent).

XCX added a number of other things to make it's combat more involved. Probably the best thing was secondary cooldowns that was tied to weapon type, making you actually consider and plan out which weapon you were using to get the best effects at the right time. So calling it more button mashing compared to XC1 is dubious. They both have diversity in character/art types, just in different ways.

All of that aside, XC2 looks to have a more involved system than XC1 just from the little we've seen. Auto-Attacks now can't be done while moving, meaning that positioning is even more important and costly to manage. Art cooldowns are now based on Auto-attack to build up, instead of Timer cooldowns from the other games, to emphasize that difference. They bring back Break/Topple statuses and have a new third Status in that sequence, Launch. Addionally, the big new gimmick is the new Art/Blade Art/Blade Special progression that requires coordinating your different blades with Blade art levels and what blades/abilities your party members are set up with.

You see basically all of this in the Boss battle of the E3 demo here. About halfway in he goes into the Blade art combo and you can see the option trees that depend on what you use with your other party member Blade arts, somewhat reminiscent of XC1 chain attack sequences.

The Bloop posted:

The hoping makes it feel awful mashy though. Give me control of my party.

I get that it's just a preference, but I'll take FF/ bravely/ octopath style combat over XcX style 10 times out of 10.

Not that you're wrong about it being preference, or the different styles....but how is a game with Auto-attack "mashy"? The only arts you use are ones you specifically have to choose, literally cannot be repeatedly used due to timer cooldowns, and often have to be used at specific timings/positions so you can't just do them whenever. You have to think for all of these conditions and none of them involve rote repeated button pressing...which is almost a textbook case of NOT mashy.

Traditional turn based combat, including all the games you mentioned there, almost always involves repeating similar actions that you have to manually enter for each turn. Telling your Fighter to attack or Black mage to use the same spell 5 times within the same random encounter requires both more input and less decision in those cases than the above system. Bravely Second actually gives players multiple slots to record and auto-play entire players turns because of how automated these kinds of games tend to be.

I'm not attacking Turn-based stuff (I wouldn't play so many RPGs if I hated it), but it's pretty silly to call them less button mashy, despite them often involving even less thought when it comes to menial decisions.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 5, 2017

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I would just like to stress that it is not a crime to like Anime or even talk about Anime when there are some excellent Anime games out there.

It is gross to imply that anyone who does likes it is only doing so for criminal reasons, such a paedophilia. This is a heinous simplification of what Anime is and is unacceptable. I know very little about Anime and manga and have had no real contact with it or Japanese culture, but I do not feel as though the whole genre should be tarnished in such a way that accuses other posters who enjoy it of sexualising children.

When we discuss anime games (I am fairly certain things like Persona and Tales of Berseria were really well received here in games) that we do not devolve into these kinds of baseless accusations. I would really appreciate it. Thank you all! :D

Lol

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I am both excited for Doom on my Switch and Rocket League and they both come out in the next two week but I need to 100% Mario and Mario + Rabbids still plus I need to get FEW still and keep up with the Splatoon 2 updates and splatfest but also have that all done in time for Xenoblade 2 Nintendo please

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I am both excited for Doom on my Switch and Rocket League and they both come out in the next two week but I need to 100% Mario and Mario + Rabbids still plus I need to get FEW still and keep up with the Splatoon 2 updates and splatfest but also have that all done in time for Xenoblade 2 Nintendo please

Oh man, I didn't realize Rocket League was coming to the Switch (makes sense, though). gently caress, now I REALLY want one. I have to turn down the detail to get anything above 30fps on my pc.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I think the devs heard the discourse, because today's RARE blade isn't even human-esque. It's a thingamabob:

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/927070992706420736
https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/927071508182155264

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Huh, same voice though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Good news, it's 60 fps on switch I think

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I think the devs heard the discourse, because today's RARE blade isn't even human-esque. It's a thingamabob:

I really don't mind the BLADE designs (aside from Pyra's costume of course). They just exist to fill out the weapon roster rather than actually affecting anything in the story, so it looks like they just let some guest artists go hog-wild with designs for fun :shrug:.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The guest designs for Soul Calibur IV were good from what I remember.

Even though nobody remembers them because the game had three Star Wars characters in it as well for some reason. One of whom isn't even canon anymore.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Internet Kraken posted:

One of the reasons I don't want to play Nier Automata is because Taro Yoko is a pervert that undermines his own characters and story by making them sexy just for the sake of titillation. Its bad.

Actually it owns because Yoko Taro initially didn't want a sexaulized character as the lead, then when they did it anyways, he decided that 2B needed to have the sexiest butt in gaming

What I'm saying is play Nier Automata

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there an xcx thread that we can take all the terrible anime chat to?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
SMO: anyone bring up the fact that there are 2 suns when you’re on the moon?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VideoGames posted:

Odyssey is goty

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there an xcx thread that we can take all the terrible anime chat to?

No.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres no such thing as terrible anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOHbvJCtXIk

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Endorph posted:

My experience says the opposite.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

Look in not going to say all anime is bad because that's simply not true, but it has at least as high a percentage of utter trash as western animation or live action TV.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no true anime

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Shinobi Refle -Senran Kagura- and Gal*Gun 2 are still scheduled for the end of this year if you wanna talk about the bad animes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VideoGames posted:

Would you please name the individuals who reported the Anime Insults so that we may give them the recognition and praise they deserve?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Cheeto posted:

Shinobi Refle -Senran Kagura- and Gal*Gun 2 are still scheduled for the end of this year if you wanna talk about the bad animes.

let's see what the producer has said about Shinobi Refle

quote:

We’re basically aiming for a pure and wholesome Senran Kagura, and our main objective is to convey the feelings of the characters through HD rumble.
The story will be charmingly stupid.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Rolo posted:

SMO: anyone bring up the fact that there are 2 suns when you’re on the moon?

This is just getting glossed over? What is big Nintendo trying to hide!?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

These are pretty cool

The British voice actors definitely need to come through though

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Lol wtf, I'm ok with this

• Locked thread