Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Y'all are wasting your time. In the same breath as he said he was sure everyone dumping on the nuke rate was right he was also saying when the paperwork goes through and he's miserable we'd be right to laugh at him. All his replies about it since are him taking a passive role in not loving his life up like 'well I need a waiver so let's see if that happens' or 'maybe the recruiter isn't doing his job of screwing me wholeheartedly' as opposed to 'oh poo poo I better do something about this and tell him I changed my mind'.

Dude is going nuke. Smart enough to be a nuke, not smart enough not to be one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Blackchamber posted:

Y'all are wasting your time. In the same breath as he said he was sure everyone dumping on the nuke rate was right he was also saying when the paperwork goes through and he's miserable we'd be right to laugh at him. All his replies about it since are him taking a passive role in not loving his life up like 'well I need a waiver so let's see if that happens' or 'maybe the recruiter isn't doing his job of screwing me wholeheartedly' as opposed to 'oh poo poo I better do something about this and tell him I changed my mind'.

Dude is going nuke. Smart enough to be a nuke, not smart enough not to be one.

I encourage it just so we get 6+ years(because you know he is going to reenlist or STAR for 2nd) of his miserable postings, and even more of us linking back to this thread.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
You should join the army before going nuke.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My roommate’s a nuke. They’re in four section duty. He leaves for work before I do and I always get home before he does. On bad days I work until 3:30 and I’m still out of uniform and eating my after school snack before he gets home.

Ninja e: Out to sea there’s three rates that come to mind that you don’t wanna be. ABE, BM and Nuke. As an ABE I feel blessed cus at least I get to see the sun everyday without having to kill my lungs.

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 5, 2017

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Friend of mine just got orders to a japan DDG (63) as an STG out of school, anything I should scare him with?

Edit: maybe Slavic Crime Yacht has a need for someone with top notch navigational skills with navigation equipment from a century ago. I also know semaphore and flashing light.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LogicalFallacy posted:

Eh, I trust that y'all do know what you're talking about, and if all the paperwork to get me into nuke goes through and I end up hating life and everything in a year or so, I'll happily let the thread say "I told you so." I do know the liaison I met with at my MEPS loving loves AECF, so who knows if he's even pushing all that hard to get me into nuke. (Though everyone else in the office was more for me going nuke)

And for the chap who asked, my brother's been in about 3 years now I believe.

Dude, they have quotas. None of them give a single gently caress about you once you report for training and their numbers go up +1.

E: I'm way behind here.

M_Gargantua posted:

The recruiters get to count you as two people toward their recruiting quota if you sign that paperwork. It's because the job is awful and they have to really push it on doe eyed nerds who don't know why the gift horse is jittery. That money they're offering you is blood money and you've got like a 1 in 30 chance of being a suicide statistic.

:stare:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Anita Dickinme posted:

They’re in four section duty.

That is better than I saw for almost all of my time in. We were 3 section pretty much everywhere.

For the aspiring sailor, "duty" for a nuke means a 24 hour long workday where you often will not sleep.

"Back half 6-6"-style duty day on 3 section duty:

Day 1 / 0700: Show up to work, tour the plant (usually a warm 100F+)
Day 1 / 0730: Duty section briefing, go to work
Day 1 / 11:30: Relieve your watch partner to eat
Day 1 / 12:00: Get relieved by partner and go back to work
Day 1 / 1330: Relieve the watch. Watch partner goes to work.
Day 1 / 1930: Relieved off of watch by partner. Go eat
Day 1 / 2000: Finish up any work, work on quals
Day 1 / 2200: Go to sleep
Day 2 / 0100: Wake up, prepare for watch
Day 2 / 0130: Relieve the watch, your partner can now go to sleep
Day 2 / 0730: Get relieved off of watch, go to work
Day 2 / 1600: Go home

Day 4: Go to the top and repeat except now you are the partner ("Front half 6-6") and relieve at 0730.

Repeat this for however many years. You might notice that there is only 3 hours of sleep during day 1. After a few years of not really sleeping every 3rd day, you start to get ... tired.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ok, legit question: How is the Navy so loving stupid that anybody in charge thinks that's a good idea?

Like, I know how out of touch senior leadership can be (we had 3 simultaneous COCOM deplyments with almost 20% of our 27 aircraft in depot for long-term refurb, and our wing commander said "YEP!" when asked if we could support a 4th deployment, then left it to the O-4s/5s to figure out how), but how the gently caress is that considered safe? Is this honestly just a case of "It hasn't turned into the worst ecological disaster in US history yet, looks good!"

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
A friend of mine went into the Navy the year before I did as a nuke. He "lucked out" and failed prototype, but kept E-4 and went to the fleet as an EM. The only thing he'd ever tell me about being a nuke is that the's glad he failed and got reclassed as something else. Rather than tell you not to go nuke, I can tell you what my AECF experience was like. Just to note this was 1999-2005, the extent of my exposure to the navy and the changes its gone through since has been this series of threads.

When I went to MEPS, the detailer poo poo himself when he saw my ASVAB scores and immediately ran over with 'YOU SHOULD TAKE THE NUKE TEST, WE CAN GUARANTEE YOU A LOT OF MONEY.' I avoided this mostly through ignorance because I wanted to do stuff with computers. I stayed AECF, and lucked out on becoming an FC then an AEGIS Computer FC, and had a reasonably relaxed time on a destroyer out of San Diego for 4.5 years. The most onerous things I had to do was help the SPY radar guys fix windows and paint around the arrays now and then, and stand a few watches replacing tapes spinning at high speed when we were in the gulf and CIC wanted every piece of data they possibly could for no reason and the tapes went faster than we could rewind / reload them. The rest of the time was maintenance, painting, cleaning, and generally hanging around with others in my division or shop.

I can't guarantee you'll be happier doing AECF, but based on what the thread has said, it sure as poo poo seems more likely.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
as a nuke the last thing to go through your head before the bullet is "man i never did get to spend that 100k"

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

KetTarma posted:

That is better than I saw for almost all of my time in. We were 3 section pretty much everywhere.

For the aspiring sailor, "duty" for a nuke means a 24 hour long workday where you often will not sleep.

"Back half 6-6"-style duty day on 3 section duty:

Day 1 / 0700: Show up to work, tour the plant (usually a warm 100F+)
Day 1 / 0730: Duty section briefing, go to work
Day 1 / 11:30: Relieve your watch partner to eat
Day 1 / 12:00: Get relieved by partner and go back to work
Day 1 / 1330: Relieve the watch. Watch partner goes to work.
Day 1 / 1930: Relieved off of watch by partner. Go eat
Day 1 / 2000: Finish up any work, work on quals
Day 1 / 2200: Go to sleep
Day 2 / 0100: Wake up, prepare for watch
Day 2 / 0130: Relieve the watch, your partner can now go to sleep
Day 2 / 0730: Get relieved off of watch, go to work
Day 2 / 1600: Go home

Day 4: Go to the top and repeat except now you are the partner ("Front half 6-6") and relieve at 0730.

Repeat this for however many years. You might notice that there is only 3 hours of sleep during day 1. After a few years of not really sleeping every 3rd day, you start to get ... tired.

This seems gruelling, and I'm suddenly a lot more happy about our 6 on 6 off schedule in the CIC.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

Ok, legit question: How is the Navy so loving stupid that anybody in charge thinks that's a good idea?

Like, I know how out of touch senior leadership can be (we had 3 simultaneous COCOM deplyments with almost 20% of our 27 aircraft in depot for long-term refurb, and our wing commander said "YEP!" when asked if we could support a 4th deployment, then left it to the O-4s/5s to figure out how), but how the gently caress is that considered safe? Is this honestly just a case of "It hasn't turned into the worst ecological disaster in US history yet, looks good!"

I’m sure we’d need two carrier collisions within a month to see anything change. :v:

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
FWIW the recruiters and meps guys DID do a lot of paperwork and it would probably suck if they had to redo it; I had a friend who worked at MEPS and he said it was hard and he had to work late once.

I think LogicalFallacy can rest assured that by honoring his contract as it stands Poseidon will provide relief to him in times of struggle and despair. If he steps away from a contract made with direct representatives of the God of The Sea then he nor any of his blood will ever be safe to set foot in or near the sea again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anita Dickinme posted:

I’m sure we’d need two carrier collisions within a month to see anything change. :v:

Nukes aren't driving the carriers. SWOs and pilots drive the carriers.

But the reason the navy does this is because they have no choice. They need basically double to triple the current manning in all nuclear rates in order to give reasonable watch rotations. With current manning that would mean shutting off half the carrier fleet.

I'm not honestly sure if you could man a submarine with enough enginemen to ensure less than lovely conditions.

The navy simply doesn't have the bodies to actually operate it's equipment. The human component is actually the easiest part to replace.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I emailed my father about this - he worked as a detailer for a good fraction of his career in-between billets at HC squadrons (should kind of date him since those don't exist anymore) ultimately ending up commanding one, and he said the best thing that ever happened to him in the Navy was flunking out of Nuke School early on in his career. Frank Kelso, who'd go on to become a CNO, was the commandant at Nuke School while he was going through it, and very proactively told my father to "find something else to do in the Navy."

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
My nuc story as a noble. Six weeks into it I thought I would be Homer Simpson in my civilian life. I asked what would happen if I dropped. They said I would have to repay my bonus and immediately go SWO. I asked what would happen if I failed. They said I could keep my bonus, but might have to stay in Orlando for a year until redesignating. My grades plummeted. I got stashed on Orlando with the base police (no training, day 1 here's your badge and .45). But I still got pulled into SWO.

If you go nuc, be a noble, fail out, and burn 1.5 years off your commitment in school and rolling up on e-dogs getting blowies in abandoned parking lots.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Evil SpongeBob posted:

My nuc story as a noble. Six weeks into it I thought I would be Homer Simpson in my civilian life. I asked what would happen if I dropped. They said I would have to repay my bonus and immediately go SWO. I asked what would happen if I failed. They said I could keep my bonus, but might have to stay in Orlando for a year until redesignating. My grades plummeted. I got stashed on Orlando with the base police (no training, day 1 here's your badge and .45). But I still got pulled into SWO.

If you go nuc, be a noble, fail out, and burn 1.5 years off your commitment in school and rolling up on e-dogs getting blowies in abandoned parking lots.

thanks 4 ur service

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Elendil004 posted:

Friend of mine just got orders to a japan DDG (63) as an STG out of school, anything I should scare him with?

Edit: maybe Slavic Crime Yacht has a need for someone with top notch navigational skills with navigation equipment from a century ago. I also know semaphore and flashing light.

He's in the same destroyer squadron as the two destroyers that had collisions, and same group as this cruiser: https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/10/09/i-now-hate-my-ship-surveys-reveal-disastrous-morale-on-cruiser-shiloh/
One of my former COs while stationed there was this guy: https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2015/11/15/report-long-hours-a-nosy-co-a-pet-goat-aboard-cruiser-lake-erie/

I'd probably try to not go to Japan until they figure out what the gently caress is wrong with that fleet.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

He's in the same destroyer squadron as the two destroyers that had collisions, and same group as this cruiser: https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/10/09/i-now-hate-my-ship-surveys-reveal-disastrous-morale-on-cruiser-shiloh/
One of my former COs while stationed there was this guy: https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2015/11/15/report-long-hours-a-nosy-co-a-pet-goat-aboard-cruiser-lake-erie/

I'd probably try to not go to Japan until they figure out what the gently caress is wrong with that fleet.

Anyone who's been FDNF can tell you exactly whats wrong with the fleet but that news doesn't make it to the upper echelons back in Washington. Either because people are too afraid to tell them or because it's been 20 years since they've been on a ship and have completely forgotten what the people on ships are going through.

Even on shore duty as an IT I was working 7 days a week upwards of 10 hours per day. (heyooo being the CMS custodian at a HELMARSTRIKERON!)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 5, 2017

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nukes aren't driving the carriers. SWOs and pilots drive the carriers.

Yeah, bad joke. Should have said two reactor meltdowns or something. :shrug:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Also if you go ET, your life will be this video on loop. Probably applies to a bunch of other jobs too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtRNg5uSKQ0

Jesus that's accurate.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

thanks 4 ur service

I'll be first in line on Friday for that sweet Golden Corral lunch buffet on Friday. 'Murica.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
What's this poo poo about going AECF and choosing ET or FC? Is that like having the new guy clean the launch window?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Where's the dude with the dumb anime avatar who was a nuc? He hasn't pissed in the well yet

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

What's this poo poo about going AECF and choosing ET or FC? Is that like having the new guy clean the launch window?

In my case I was slated to be an ET but they had too many so they "chose" me to become a FC, so not entirely inaccurate.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

How are you doing though?

Up days and down days. More ups right now which is good. I've seen a counselor a few times when I started to get really stressed out due to the offload.

Got to see the President in Yokota on Sunday. Waste of 13 hours of my life. He at least stayed on script and didn't wander off too much. He clicks/licks his lips a lot into the mic and it's really unpleasant sound. Could barely see him due to the Oo Rah Marines and Airman all standing in front (I'm not exactly tall) and had to stand on hard concrete for over 2 hours.

The hanger did not smell as bad as you'd expect given the number of people. Probably because it was open. Still, good job on showering everyone.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Oh I didn't mean to suggest that was the case. I recall walking into A school in the morning one time and has my name written on a board with ET or FC sitting next to it. Indicate maybe?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

bengy81 posted:

In my case I was slated to be an ET but they had too many so they "chose" me to become a FC, so not entirely inaccurate.

I never picked/chose anything ahead of time as I quickly learned it didn't work that way, but my hope was to do AEGIS computer FC.

When I finished a certain percentage of tech core, I went to some office I'd never been before and a guy said 'do you want to be an FC or ET?' I said FC, he said okay, and that was that. I guess they had equal manning on both or knew that 10 more dudes were behind me to fill? I did some alternate program where instead of getting classroom instruction, I did everything at my own pace by computer learning, and apparently I finished over 2 weeks before the next guy.

When I finished a certain percentage of A school, they put an equivalent number of C schools on the blackboard as dudes in the class, and two of them were AEGIS computer. My standing was such that I was able to pick it. Same with picking San Diego out of C school, although that one I almost got hosed over by my slob roommate and a surprise inspection. It "cost" me shots at Japan and Hawaii (and incindentally Mayport and Pascagoula, but I didn't give a poo poo about them), but I don't think I would have enjoyed those as much as I did San Diego.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Hoohah posted:

I did some alternate program where instead of getting classroom instruction, I did everything at my own pace by computer learning, and apparently I finished over 2 weeks before the next guy.
According to the paper I was given at MEPS, that's just the way AECF is done now.

Also, sorry if I seemed to imply that I thought I had any choice in what particular job I got. ET is just what I'd prefer.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LogicalFallacy posted:

According to the paper I was given at MEPS, that's just the way AECF is done now.

Also, sorry if I seemed to imply that I thought I had any choice in what particular job I got. ET is just what I'd prefer.

Stay AECF, you have a reasonable shot of being an ET and even if you end up FC you still will be working with electronics.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fat Leonard case marches on

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm not sure if my favorite part is that 1/4 admirals is being investigated, or that in the middle of this fiasco he was still invited to the CNO's change of command.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was good friends with the asuppo on my last ship, and although he didn't dive into the grift, the husbanding agents were all about it trying.

In one port they tried to deliver us rotten fruit/vegetables that our CSC was gladly accepting. Luckily the suppo caught it in time to refuse that poo poo and make the supplier go get us actual fresh food. Then they tried to charge us triple for gas before we pulled out. This type of poo poo was routine at any SE asia port handled by GLENN MARINE.

This included harbor pilots high off their rear end on betel nut and led to the bridge team having to figure out the safest routes to go.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
My bootcamp division was like 80% AECF, and about 2/3 through our redropes came in and rattled off all of our names and told us if we were going to be ET or FC, the end.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LogicalFallacy posted:

The paper you got is old. I was the FC/GM a school lpo, the course is instructor led.

ET and FC are both great rates, the way they determine which you get changes all the time. Sometimes you get called in an office to pick, sometimes it's just assigned.

Did you decide not to be a nuke yet?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Was I the only person who liked self-paced tech core? Sure, they had a room literally filled with Jolt cola that they'd sell to us on breaks, but that's normal.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Was I the only person who liked self-paced tech core? Sure, they had a room literally filled with Jolt cola that they'd sell to us on breaks, but that's normal.

Self paced turns into move at the quickest pace possible to completion so the schoolhouse numbers look good, which leads to memorization of the material needed, and lack of actual learning or retention.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

PneumonicBook posted:

The paper you got is old. I was the FC/GM a school lpo, the course is instructor led.

ET and FC are both great rates, the way they determine which you get changes all the time. Sometimes you get called in an office to pick, sometimes it's just assigned.

Did you decide not to be a nuke yet?

Let's put it this way. Y'all can commence the well-pissing now.

ninja edit: Though if I find out I'm too old or some poo poo like that, I'd like the rope please.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

You'll never be a part of the Slavic Crime team. I'm disappointed in you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LogicalFallacy posted:

Let's put it this way. Y'all can commence the well-pissing now.

ninja edit: Though if I find out I'm too old or some poo poo like that, I'd like the rope please.

WHYYYYYYYY????

Do yourself a favor and at least try to fail out of school, or maybe shoot yourself in the foot or something.