Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

the_steve posted:

I'm holding out hope that USUM gives Regigigas an ability that doesn't suck, since it and Groudon are more or less the only two Legendaries I actually like.
I know it won't.

No, but I always thought it would be cool to give it a signature move that negates its own ability. You lose a move slot and a turn which prevents it from being too OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pokemon I Choose You is today at 12:55PM local time.

There seem to be some tickets still available near me, but its handicap and first row only.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What even is that movie about?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

it's an alternate retelling of Ash's early adventures focusing on his connection to Ho-Oh.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Shinjobi posted:

As stated above, but also a tacked on story about two Sinnoh kids having backstory and sitting around Ash in-between remade shots of the anime.

I really wanna see it tbh, the animation looks incredible, and the nostalgia bait bits sound fun, but alas, i'm not driving forty minutes to another city when I can just catch Thor Ragnarok at my local theater tonight.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

less laughter posted:

Nebby's New Groove

"God, Mom, it's not just a phase!"

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I finally finished Moon a few days ago (good job sad brains, making me put it down for a year) and I felt so bad stuffing Nebby in a box after Lillie went on and on about how it would be happier with me.

Lillie, I don't use legendaries. :( Take it with you.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

hopeandjoy posted:

I finally finished Moon a few days ago (good job sad brains, making me put it down for a year) and I felt so bad stuffing Nebby in a box after Lillie went on and on about how it would be happier with me.

Lillie, I don't use legendaries. :( Take it with you.

You're a monster for not beating the Elite Four with Nebby fyi

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i released nebby immediately and that boy got ate by a wild rockruff

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

i released nebby immediately and that boy got ate by a wild rockruff

tastes just like chicken cotton candy

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The fun thing about the new movie is that the absence of Misty and Brock made everyone decide the movie’s creators hated the original series they were homaging despite the same people bringing Misty and Brock back in the anime only a few months later.

Because apparently this made more sense than “they just wanted to tell a different story” or something.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
have you heard of the concept of damage control

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Damage control for what? Their most successful movie in years?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Brock and Misty showing up in the anime very shortly after the big controversy over cutting them from the movie, gee I wonder why...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

anime conspiracy theories

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Trust no 'mon.:tinfoil:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Birch did 9/11

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

less laughter posted:

Brock and Misty showing up in the anime very shortly after the big controversy over cutting them from the movie, gee I wonder why...

it's not like broadcast media is produced months in advance...

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
yeah that's how long it took them to show up

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

less laughter posted:

that's not how animation works, even in anime where the turnaround time is shorter than western animation

the controversy didn't actually affect anything. they had no "damage" to mitigate because it didn't hurt the movie at all, because the movie was still very successful.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That's not what happened. The anime episodes aired in September, so by the time the movie came out in July the episodes were probably mostly animated already and we didn't find out a lot of the movie's info until April, after the anime episodes had already had their script written, so if they did hear about fans complaining about the lack of Brock and Misty in the movie, it would've been when the episodes were midway through being animated, affecting nothing.

Not that it matters anyway, Ash spends most of the movie by himself, so if Brock and Misty had been his companions, they would've barely been in the movie like the Sinnoh kids were, so the fans still would've complained.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
wrong, they put them in the anime after the outcry over them being missing from the movie

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Crosspeice posted:

That's not what happened. The anime episodes aired in September, so by the time the movie came out in July the episodes were probably mostly animated already and we didn't find out a lot of the movie's info until April, after the anime episodes had already had their script written, so if they did hear about fans complaining about the lack of Brock and Misty in the movie, it would've been when the episodes were midway through being animated, affecting nothing.

Not that it matters anyway, Ash spends most of the movie by himself, so if Brock and Misty had been his companions, they would've barely been in the movie like the Sinnoh kids were, so the fans still would've complained.
For the full nostalgia experience they should have put Misty & Brock in the movie, only to replace Brock with Tracy a quarter of the way through before bringing him back again halfway through. Just when the fans think their status quo is safe, Misty is replaced with May near the end of the movie.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

We already know anime episodes take around 6 months to produce, but I believe that was true in the DP/BW era. With the much more recent Dragon Ball Super interview saying it takes 10 months to produce an episode, it's possible that Pokemon is now the same, since it's also a weekly shonen style series (though Toei does a lot more shows so that might be why it takes longer). Meaning they planned to have Misty and Brock appear before we even knew the movie existed!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They brought Misty and Brock back in the anime because they were still celebrating the anime's anniversary. A bunch of westerners whining on the internet about it didn't affect their bottom line in any meaningful way, so again, there was absolutely nothing to try and make up for.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

AlternateNu posted:

No, but I always thought it would be cool to give it a signature move that negates its own ability. You lose a move slot and a turn which prevents it from being too OP.

Even if it had a decent ability like Iron Fist or something, I don't think it would be OP compared to other Legendaries.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Imagine caring this much about Misty and Brock. Everyone knows all you need is Meowth.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Shinjobi posted:

Imagine caring this much about the pokemon anime

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Imagine caring

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

i cant

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Shinjobi posted:

Everyone knows all you need is Meowth.
That's right!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Literally every traveling companion that came after Misty and Brock is more interesting anyway.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

brock rules. thats my take

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I saw the movie.

Pre-credits there's a retelling of the first episode of Pokemon, though changed up a bit to not have as many characters. Gary and the others are long gone, having obtained their Pokemon and left. When Ash flees the Spearow horde, changes are made to not encounter Misty. They went so far to include a Gyarados swimming by him after jumping in a river, but instead he gets out on the other side and continues running. Since there's no bike he just trips and the same events happen beyond that. When Ho-oh flies by, he recognizes it as Ho-oh and gets a rainbow wing. The opening credits play with a montage of Caterpie moments and some trainer battles. Just as the credits finish, Ash defeats Erika and says he had 3 badges at that point. Brock, Misty, and Surge are never seen during that sequence. Team Rocket has also not yet encountered Ash. Finally, he travels to a Pokemon Center in a wooded area I would assume is in Jhoto and when a trainer claims to see Entei the story is set in motion.

Some of the more notable things:
Dexter (the Pokedex) is not in at all. They all seem to have smartphone like devices but no one pulls out a Pokedex.
Verity is Cynthia's Daughter. She looks at a picture, and mentions her mom being a famous trainer in Sinnoh
Charmeleon does not disobey Ash after evolution.
Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Pidgeotto are never mentioned. He only travels with three Pokemon
There's a real mindfuck moment where Ash is made to forget Pokemon during a dream. Agatha is even shown as a teacher
Team Rocket just shows up to go "oh man we're gonna take that rare Pokemon" and blast off. Ash and crew are never aware of them aside from their wanted poster.
There is death. Not what you'd expect either. I'm wondering just how many parents in the audience have to answer some uncomfortable questions.
All the main characters that didn't make it in were shown during the credits in some kind of surprised look at the screen moment. Misty was riding her bike and they were all in their original outfits.

E: Someone uploaded the end credits camrip style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXvAlmIHPPY

Dehry fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 5, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
remember when everyone wanted brock back and he came back and quickly became the absolute worst part of the show

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blockhouse posted:

remember when everyone wanted brock back and he came back and quickly became the absolute worst part of the show

No. I remember always liking Brock ‘cause he owns. :confused:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Reinanigans posted:

No. I remember always liking Brock ‘cause he owns. :confused:

Johto era Brock was literally the same joke with zero variation for a hundred episode it was awful

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Every main character in the Pokemon anime owns. :colbert:

...Except for Serena who was so paper thin it hurt in an anime filled with paper thin characters.

Blockhouse posted:

Johto era Brock was literally the same joke with zero variation for a hundred episode it was awful

That’s called the Johto era.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Remember when Pokedexes were considered something that would've been hi-tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Serena was great.

Brock and Misty both just wore out their welcome, and Misty did it before Indigo was over. Really, her only pressing issues as a character were more or less resolved after the Cerulean gym, and then had nothing really to do beyond being Togepi's mom.

Honestly, they're more interesting as guest characters.