Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Halloween Jack posted:

I've made Mr. Bear's Scotch Eggs many times; they are excellent.
I am quoting this post because I have done the same and I agree that they are excellent.

I'm also a fan of the Oven Fries (basically baked potato wedges) and Nice Pete's fried chicken.

Having peeked at the other posts, Jon Bois is a national treasure, and I've been following him since the Progressive Boink days of MLB AOL chats.

JI

JIM THOME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

CannonFodder posted:

I am quoting this post because I have done the same and I agree that they are excellent.

I'm also a fan of the Oven Fries (basically baked potato wedges) and Nice Pete's fried chicken.

Having peeked at the other posts, Jon Bois is a national treasure, and I've been following him since the Progressive Boink days of MLB AOL chats.

JI

JIM THOME

A good way to root out the old-school SASers.

Thank you, Internet Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20040829010533/https://www.progressiveboink.com/archive/sweeney/1.htm

(inaudible)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"Invented by the dudes from ABBA, the Isosceles Lock has revolutionized..."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Very next strip: "Dude you don't LIKE Gusano Rojo. What you LIKE is that you're holding something the police will wrestle you for."

:allears:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Picasso didn't ask people for critical feedback, but if he had, he might not have churned out such weird crap!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm watching Mindhunter and man do I just keep getting reminded of Nice Pete

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Phy posted:

I'm watching Mindhunter and man do I just keep getting reminded of Nice Pete

Then I just clenched my fists and SCREAMED as I stared straight into her eyes

I got in a good eight second scream
That may not sound like much but try it sometime

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Pakled posted:

Jon Bois is my favorite sports journalist.

yes, same, he's part of the reason I got back into watching baseball (the 2014/2015 Royals seasons being the other part, lol)

I really don't like football, but he's the only person to tell football narratives in a way that makes me get why people like it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Then I just clenched my fists and SCREAMED as I stared straight into her eyes

I got in a good eight second scream
That may not sound like much but try it sometime

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Little Nephew goes to Ancient Wales is by far my favorite storyline I think. Funnier than the Great Outdoor Fight stuff.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shibawanko posted:

Little Nephew goes to Ancient Wales is by far my favorite storyline I think. Funnier than the Great Outdoor Fight stuff.

Just the nacho stuff is funnier than most anything else.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
BUGGER THE CONSTABULARY

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
This Day In History: Keep an eye out for the new Ray Smuckles song, I LOVE YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

prefect posted:

The dude passed out on the toilet with his bagpipes still cracks me up. Just Iorwerth's face as he stands at the window glaring at him :allears:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
For some reason every time I go to a place where I have to speak Tibetan instead of English, I find myself reading Achewood in my private moments. Probably as a celebration of my native language.

This time I started at the GOF and it is remarkable how jarring and noticeable the change you get after the Philippe Returns Home arc. Just all the voices are very noticeably trying way too hard. It really never recovers from that and then there are of course the two abandoned arcs and just welp.

Going to bounce back around to the very first strips and see how long it took for the voices to settle initially.

GOF is a highwater mark but there are other amazing arcs (Little Nephew in Wales is definitely one, Volvo of Despair, Transfer Station, Leon Sumbitches, ...). I think GOF just stands out because it's a classic tale.

Also every time I read it I somehow forget it begins with ChatSackz.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
For me, Phillipe Goes Home was one of Achewood's highlights, which makes the followup of the highschool van thing even worse

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Yeah. Philippe Goes Home is a strong "emotional" arc and works nicely and then it just dives off immediately. The high school van arc still has the characters' voices correct, like I am never looking at that going "oh man what even happened." It's definitely weak and I could see an argument for it being the first sign of the decline but the characters are "in character."

Right after that though you start getting Cornelius talking like a Latin professor's thesaurus had a stroke and fell into a blender, Roast Beef starts ranting like Alex Jones, and so on.

Edit: Actually I think Cornelius gets hosed up at the end of the high school van thing?

Edit2: No, it's the aborted Ray in Rehab arc where you can definitively say "all the voices are lost and it's become bad."

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 3, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

prefect posted:

DISGRACE THAT CHAIR NO LONGER, NACHO JUDAS! is the line I will remember from this comic. That's the high water mark right there.

Paramemetic posted:

Yeah. Philippe Goes Home is a strong "emotional" arc and works nicely and then it just dives off immediately. The high school van arc still has the characters' voices correct, like I am never looking at that going "oh man what even happened." It's definitely weak and I could see an argument for it being the first sign of the decline but the characters are "in character."

Right after that though you start getting Cornelius talking like a Latin professor's thesaurus had a stroke and fell into a blender, Roast Beef starts ranting like Alex Jones, and so on.

Edit: Actually I think Cornelius gets hosed up at the end of the high school van thing?

Edit2: No, it's the aborted Ray in Rehab arc where you can definitively say "all the voices are lost and it's become bad."

What I noticed is that characters start being snarky for no reason. Cornelius wouldn't call Todd a sarcastic name like that, but it starts showing up all the time after that point.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 3, 2017

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I take your point, but "I would get... the good grade!" Is still hilarious

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mollys not fooling anyone, she's going to throw that $13 bar of soap away.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Some of the best advice I ever got. (Granted, police shirts rarely look good because the sleeves aren't fitted. I wore a grey plaid suit.)

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
who gets fat off congee...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Paramemetic posted:

I think there are moments here; he's kind of close. "Please allow him the benefit of your absence" is something I could see Mr. Bear saying, but that bullshit poem that falls out of his mouth is way too much. In general I think Onstad was trying too hard.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Less "hair of the dog" and more "what is a dog" is pretty funny though yeah

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The Philippe Goes Home storyline was ongoing when I visited my mom for the first time in her new retirement community. It wasn't nearly as disillusioning, no pork chops trauma at least, but drat if Papa's speech wasn't especially poignant.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Watching Achewood die was kind of like watching your awesome cussin-and-fighting grandpa slowly succumb to dementia until eventually he stops showing up at holidays.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Howard Beale posted:

The Philippe Goes Home storyline was ongoing when I visited my mom for the first time in her new retirement community. It wasn't nearly as disillusioning, no pork chops trauma at least, but drat if Papa's speech wasn't especially poignant.
If we're being real, the presumably divorce-inspired strips really made me really feel like poo poo during a bad breakup.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
"Sometimes love is wondering if you trapped an innocent person" hits the hardest out of any line in Achewood for me. Years ago I kind of stumbled out of a bad relationship into a relationship with the woman I would eventually marry, and that is just the perfect expression of the guilt you feel as a depressed person in a relationship with someone awesome who deserves better than what you're emotionally capable of giving. :smith:

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 5, 2017

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Had forgotten this one but "My mother knew that I would die one day" has now joined the kind of Achewood phrases you're all mentioning that get permanently lodged in your psyche.

He's so happy when he says it!

The pre-Ray's Party run really is full of great poo poo that probably gets neglected even if the characters aren't quite fully-formed yet.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Had forgotten this one but "My mother knew that I would die one day" has now joined the kind of Achewood phrases you're all mentioning that get permanently lodged in your psyche.

Holy poo poo, that's a hell of a lot more dark with what we learned about his mother and father.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The pre-Ray's Party run really is full of great poo poo that probably gets neglected even if the characters aren't quite fully-formed yet.

There's no alt-text and it's driving me insane :negative:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't like the early comics that much because they're just too simple. Achewood is best when it's about exploring a weird concept like Why Can't Men Send Each Other Cards

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can anyone spot the 1st alt-text so I can save myself hours of fruitless ambient cursor hovering on my upcoming read through?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
November 12, 2001, technically. January 2, 2002 is when they get going for real.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Schwarzwald posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a hell of a lot more dark with what we learned about his mother and father.

What do we know about Philippe's father? Was it in the blogs since I don't remember anything in the comics?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

"Sometimes love is wondering if you trapped an innocent person" hits the hardest out of any line in Achewood for me. Years ago I kind of stumbled out of a bad relationship into a relationship with the woman I would eventually marry, and that is just the perfect expression of the guilt you feel as a depressed person in a relationship with someone awesome who deserves better than what you're emotionally capable of giving. :smith:
I'll see you and raise

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Halloween Jack posted:

I'll see you and raise

haha, I think about this line a lot

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
This is the one with the best alt-text

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
why does Teodor wear those big landschnekt trousers, what's the deal with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

MikeCrotch posted:

why does Teodor wear those big landschnekt trousers, what's the deal with that

he is a teddy bear wearing a silly teddy bear outfit.

the strip kinda meanders its way from the original premise to something totally different but there are holdovers like that