Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there were some pretty bad cuts in the last two episodes but it does seem weird to put it in a similar category as just because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I haven't finished flip flappers but mostly I think it looks really good

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Garo wasn't bad this week. Sword being essentially muscle for Gina works a lot better than Sword just being a hero by himself, I think.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i guess sword isn't real big on memory erasing charms, even when not using them leads a dumb kid close to her death again.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

there were some pretty bad cuts in the last two episodes but it does seem weird to put it in a similar category as just because

I just remember hearing a whole lot about staff turnover and crazy cram sessions to get the last few episodes out the door back when it was airing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I just remember hearing a whole lot about staff turnover and crazy cram sessions to get the last few episodes out the door back when it was airing.

it was definitely a strained production but they seemed to manage it, whereas just because is falling apart a bit more noticeably and much earlier on

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the last episode of flip flappers would not be nearly as decent looking if the director wasn't a beast of a key animator but as far as troubled production goes flip flappers had it pretty good compared to most shows

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

there was a staff shake-up but mostly on the writing side. obviously that meant animation had to be relatively rushed but the show still looks fine, partly due to the talent of the people involved but also just because its problems werent really that bad.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Yeah they were saying stuff about the director pretty much drawing half the Flip Flappers finale by himself.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kiyotaka oshiyama is such a crazy animator that some of his friends in the industry actually got upset about the show not being consistently stunning enough

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Does this just apply to Crunchyroll’s German site, or is it worldwide? Probably best to avoid either way though. I wonder if it effects their apps as well. Been a while since I’ve been to their actual website.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rangpur posted:

Does this just apply to Crunchyroll’s German site, or is it worldwide? Probably best to avoid either way though. I wonder if it effects their apps as well. Been a while since I’ve been to their actual website.

It's been fixed now, thankfully. I don't think it did affect the various apps tough.

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/926849277430718464

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rangpur posted:

The site is clean now.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Remember when Crunchyroll laid off a big portion of their tech department and replaced them with freelancers? Wonder how that's going.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If the DNS hijacking explanation is correct, all the technicians in the world wouldn't have made any difference.

EDIT: Or would it? I dunno

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 5, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Holy crap this arc of Two Car has been really good. The drama has been better done than I expected honestly and this pair discovering their actual dynamic has been a lot of fun, really looking forward to next weeks episode. Nagisa saying slap out loud as she hits Izumi in the dungeon dream was good, people saying their actions as they do them is always pretty goofy imo. That biker gang woman was pretty intense too, some real fashion going on there

Meanwhile lol
https://files.catbox.moe/m7ieqv.webm

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fangz posted:

If the DNS hijacking explanation is correct, all the technicians in the world wouldn't have made any difference.

EDIT: Or would it? I dunno

Here's their writeup, no idea if it answers your question or not though.

https://twitter.com/crunchyroll/status/926992258158624768

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
On the off-chance that anyone has actually read/played the Dies Irae VN: Is it actually comprehensible?

What I'm getting from the anime is a whole bunch of scenes that a VN reader might think "Wow, wouldn't it be awesome if this were in motion?" but without any of the connecting fibers, segues and explanations that might allow it to actually make any sort of sense.

If the VN is even marginal, I'll probably can the anime and put it at the end of my ever-expanding list of VNs that I've been meaning to read and think about it again in a decade or two.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

iirc the main route of the VN is free so there's a fairly low barrier to entry

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also you date Nazis so it can burn in a fire.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

like this?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Bonfire of the VNities

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Waffleman_ posted:

i don't think this is true

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

you don't date nazis in dies irae. the nazis are the villains. there is nothing in the game that supports nazi ideology. you can accuse it of co-opting nazi iconography to make the villains look 'cool,' in the same way you can accuse, like, Hellsing of that, but it is not a game that is pro-nazi, nor is it a game that supports nazi ideologies. the main character thinks the nazis are bad. the nazis are evil wizards. the main character fights against the nazis. he wins. at no point in the game is nazi ideology treated as a good thing, and the enemy characters that are given humanity are done so in a context that either leads to them rejecting their previous positions or done so in a way that still considers them villains.

There are a lot of very valid criticisms to be made about Dies Irae's treatment of its subject matter - it clearly thinks its smarter than it is, as said its super obviously using nazi iconography as just costuming for the villains first and to make a thematic point second, and it doesn't really focus on Nazi ideology that often, mostly using it as, again, just an example of a bad thing.

But there's a long walk from that to accusing the people who made it or the people who like it of being literal nazi sympathizers.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 5, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I guess I'm just super wary of anything that has Cool Nazis in it nowadays.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I can get that, but not everything in the world is defined by milo's twitter followers or american politics, especially works of art made in Japan. Especially especially works of art made in Japan a decade ago. Japan has its own obvious history with WW2 and Nazism that it can be helpful to examine works through, and like I said there's tons of places you can criticize Dies Irae, but it's helpful to actually criticize it instead of just saying it shouldn't exist because it made a few questionable or ill-conceived narrative and aesthetic choices. It's also helpful to actually read something before trying to make a critical analysis of it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Now see I had no idea it was a decade old because it seemed like no one was talking about it until this year.

E: But also it seems like it's bad for reasons other than the Nazis as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Now see I had no idea it was a decade old because it seemed like no one was talking about it until this year.

E: But also it seems like it's bad for reasons other than the Nazis as well.
People only started to talk about it this year because it got its first full translation this year, as well as the anime.

And the anime's bad, and even fans of the VN think so. There were elements of the VN I liked, but I ultimately didn't think it was super amazing or anything. Definitely better than the anime makes it seem, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
from what i gather the first ep of the anime was almost entirely original and kind of from the start painted it in a very different light than the vn and pretty much nobody's really liked how it's turned out

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

The Colonel posted:

from what i gather the first ep of the anime was almost entirely original and kind of from the start painted it in a very different light than the vn and pretty much nobody's really liked how it's turned out

That's what makes it murky as to "Well, the VN people think..." because the "first episode" (not actually the first episode, and I'm not sure if it was aired or released digitally or whatever else in Japan) was some sort of weird prequel (which might not have actually been original, but maybe based on the side-story VN about one of the vampires): :nws:https://vndb.org/v18685 (page is probably safe for work, site probably is not) which has seemingly not been translated.

That being said, I think I've gotten the answer to my question by reading between the lines that indeed the novel does have a story beyond a weird series of "Look how awesome I am with my awesome powers" vignettes.

EDIT: OK, so the prologue episode was actually from a side story included with at least the english version of the game, called "Die Morgendammerung", not the sidestory VN. In original form, it seems to have been a Drama CD.
EDIT2: Which is, according to the walkthrough, suggested to be played after the completion of the second heroine route, which makes its choice as the prologue even weirder.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 5, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
it's a trap that's easy to fall in to when telling stories about nazis, when in reality they were malicious bumblefucks who lucked their way into victories at first, until their mistakes caught up with them

kater
Nov 16, 2010

This is funny because if you would have asked me to pick out the problems with the ep it would have been some ugly closeups and two or three truly bizarre middle distance full figure shots of what must have been three foot tall women in cupboard size rooms. You probably can just pick something randomly and it was poor.

And I don't think it is actually a problem at all. If the entire series has to be as gruesome as that picture of sloppy joes as a sacrifice for the first episode, well worth it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Certainly, I’m not sure that turning Reinhard goddamned Heydrich, a genuine candidate for one of the greatest monsters of the twentieth century, into a sexy, almighty JRPG villain with bizarre and abstract motives was the best and most tasteful of ideas.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Certainly, I’m not sure that turning Reinhard goddamned Heydrich, a genuine candidate for one of the greatest monsters of the twentieth century, into a sexy, almighty JRPG villain with bizarre and abstract motives was the best and most tasteful of ideas.
I have seen his pre-nazi version inserted into the mind of Prince Rudolf of Austria-Hungary and watched with glee as he's modernized and liberalized the Empire with the help of his wife Stephanie Sharapova of the Congo. :v:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Grouchio posted:

I have seen his pre-nazi version inserted into the mind of Prince Rudolf of Austria-Hungary and watched with glee as he's modernized and liberalized the Empire with the help of his wife Stephanie Sharapova of the Congo. :v:

what

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's on Alternate History forums.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
thanks for the incredibly persuasive argument against ever reading 'alternate history forums'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, but the key word there is villain. I find it less offensive than stuff like Dynasty Warriors portraying pedophiles as heroes, though I guess the difference there is cultural baggage and time. Regardless, again, there's definitely stuff to criticize, but I wish people would just criticize it for what it actually is instead of exaggerating hugely because of some weird thing they've built up in their own heads. Similar stuff happened with Youjo Senki a few seasons ago, and that was even more spurious.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

thanks for the incredibly persuasive argument against ever reading 'alternate history forums'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm like two minutes into Recovery of an MMO Junkie and i love her and want her to be happy

• Locked thread