Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Not sure how I'd apply this to flipping cities, mind

ES2 allows you to culture buy an opponent's system (city) by spending influence. The more turns spent within your own sphere of influence, the cheaper the influence cost. It could work something like that. Prohibitively expensive at first, but progressively cheaper over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Maybe 1UPT could work with some little improvments:

- option to combine x units into one (x varying depending on the unit type. Like 4 spearmen can combine, but only 2 tanks etc)
- ranged as attachable units that provide some bonuses
- artillery as it is now, its ok
- a lot more movement points for every unit
- no embarkment, bring back transport ships
- n civil units can occupy the same tile (but cant work then at the same time)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I liked the idea of culture flipping but the reality was that the only cities that ever flipped were the lovely fringe ones that you probably would have burnt to the ground if you had conquered it but now you're stuck with a city that is mostly surrounded by enemy territory and you can't even burn it to the ground.

Maybe they should have a cultural warfare layer where you get units that...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

GrandpaPants posted:

I liked the idea of culture flipping but the reality was that the only cities that ever flipped were the lovely fringe ones that you probably would have burnt to the ground if you had conquered it but now you're stuck with a city that is mostly surrounded by enemy territory and you can't even burn it to the ground.

Maybe they should have a cultural warfare layer where you get units that...

...act like great artists and you can culture bomb cities to flip them and then you go into the heart of some country and culture bomb their military production city...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Fhqwhgads posted:

ES2 allows you to culture buy an opponent's system (city) by spending influence. The more turns spent within your own sphere of influence, the cheaper the influence cost. It could work something like that. Prohibitively expensive at first, but progressively cheaper over time.

That could work. Or maybe a player could spend culture on protecting a city, increasing its flip cost, so cities only flip when someone's really serious about it.

I guess some might decry the fiddliness, but Civ 4 culture was too simple a system for me. I really really like what BNW came up with (UI not withstanding)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I'd like to see culture flipping but done in a more active, aggressive way. I'd like it if, for example, you could spend the culture accumulated by a city on buying tiles for that city, including those of your opponent, the price being weighted accordingly (distance from respective cities, resource tiles etc) and going up every time a tile flips. No war dec needed, just buy your opponent's horse pasture with culture and bask in smugness

Not sure how I'd apply this to flipping cities, mind

:lol: I'm normally a pretty peaceful player, but so many AI civilizations would die for sniping my resources away.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've always loved culture flipping. I never really liked waging war but loved winning hearts and minds. I'd love to see tile and city flipping based on culture output again.

this but you know they'd make the AI furious at you for flipping a culture tile or a city, just because

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Relationship: -24 you built a theatre. you rear end in a top hat.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Is the joke that people are describing the religion mechanics they claim to hate but calling them "culture"?

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
It was nice in Civ IV that culture *did* something on the actual world map. I always thought it felt pretty empowering, not just culture flipping a city but also when you push back their borders and manage to gain control of a resource. It was nice because it felt like you were exerting power over other civilizations without going into warfare. Spreading your influence. It *felt* great to do.
I also think the culture stuff worked well in regards with warfare. It did give stronger defense to cities, and it also made it so that taking certain cities would be something to consider because even if you took them, the culture of the civilization that the city belonged to could "choke" the city. Again, I think it just felt right.

Not sure how something like that would work in Civ VI but it would be nice to have some countermeasure to those silly forward-settled cities except just declaring war and taking them.

And it would be nice that tourism had some sort of gameplay mechanic attached to it. Again, exerting control over other civilizations in some way that you could use (or have the AI use against you). Tourism should be of mechanical use even if you're not going for the culture victory.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Before that they should do something about there being unclaimed land well into the industrial era. That bothers me way more than absence of culture flipping.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Trivia posted:

Before that they should do something about there being unclaimed land well into the industrial era. That bothers me way more than absence of culture flipping.

That's the inevitable result of designing the game such that you can win with only a few cities, though. In Civ 1 through 4 both you and the AI expanded until there was no land left and then went to war to get more land because smaller = weaker. Like even with Civ 4 culture victory (3 cities with 50,000 culture) it seems like in theory you could win that by "building tall" and maybe in some specific circumstances you could--but in practice it was very hard to pull off because if you didn't expand to at least 6 or 8 cities you would quickly fall sufficiently behind on science and production that you'd get conquered, plus several notable national wonders became unavailable to you.

In original Civ 5 you COULD expand near endlessly if you knew how to manage happiness, but you didn't really need to; Tradition/4 cities was enough to win any kind of victory (in large part because the AI's total inability to handle 1UPT and ranged units meant you didn't need extra cities cranking out units for you). And then with (IIRC) the BNW patch it was changed so that you were actively punished for expanding past 4 cities.

Civ 6 went back to not actively punishing you for expanding (thank the gods) but there's still no NEED to expand to win. Hence, empty space.

5-6 are just different games from 1-4. As I've said before Civ 4 was pretty drat close to perfection of the genre, so I'm okay with 5-6 being a different, kind of cousin genre. It could sure be executed a lot better than this, though.

e: The difference in qualifications to build National Wonders from Civ 4 to Civ 5 is instructive, actually: Civ 4 was "you need this building in at least 6 cities" (I think it varied by map size), so you had to expand to at least that number of cities, and probably more. Whereas Civ 5 changed it to "you need this building in ALL your cities," meaning building more cities is making it harder to make those wonders available.

e2: Another way to describe the fundamental difference between the games is to say that in Civ 1-4, you CAN play tall but the game's designed to be played wide, whereas in Civ 5-6 you CAN play wide but the game's designed to be played tall.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 31, 2017

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Man, I'd love to try the warrior monks in Midsummer but I already got all my beliefs. drat.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i know it's a little off topic but i picked up GalCiv3 and the expansion and it's really a much more fun 4x than Civ is

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I found GC3 to be real disappointing. Crusade helps a little but I still just find myself hitting next turn with no real sense of engagement until I quit.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the campaign mode helps a lot with that lacking sense of engagement fwiw

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
TBH I didn't even try it, I enjoyed the previous two galcivs but their campaigns were some of the worst written dross I have ever experienced. If it's decent in 3 I might need to take another look.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I didn't enjoy galciv3. Not sure why, 2 grabbed me pretty well but I wasn't feeling it.

I started a game with the new patch and there's some improvements. I'm really of the opinion that it should be easier to discern a leader's second diplomatic trait earlier in the game, though.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The very concept of a campaign mode in a 4x game is vaguely offensive to me.

I've played galciv3 for a few hours, but it just isn't grabbing me. A few neat ideas though. I usually end up wanting to go play actual civ. :lol:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Space orcs vs space paladins is the lamest poo poo imaginable.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Space orcs vs space paladins is the lamest poo poo imaginable.

what's that got to do with the price of tea in china

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
So I've rummaged through this thread.. has a second patch come out? Is the game sorta playable now? I really like the Civ series, especially Civ V, but VI was so bad it was nearly unplayable when I bought it, and I didn't go back.

Is it worth a try? Or is it just endless defending against barbarians and making clones of each city with the bullshit district system until X goal is achieved?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The answers to your questions are, respectively, yes and no.

The district system is just about the only thing in Civ 6 that has found general approval from players, so if you hate districts then you should just stick to playing 5.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

John F Bennett posted:

Those are all some great suggestions regarding religion. I'm still baffled about the direction Firaxis has taken.

Where did they get the idea?

spore had the little blue tanks that shot religion beams

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

du -hast posted:

So I've rummaged through this thread.. has a second patch come out? Is the game sorta playable now? I really like the Civ series, especially Civ V, but VI was so bad it was nearly unplayable when I bought it, and I didn't go back.

if you really like civ 5, do what i do every few weeks, which is reinstall civ 5

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Efexeye posted:

what's that got to do with the price of tea in china

GalCiv.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

they don't really play that up. it's shockingly close to Civ with a different flavor

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's the inevitable result of designing the game such that you can win with only a few cities, though.

I played tall in Civ4 and the land was still all claimed.

It's because in 4 the borders expanded out from your cities and just carried on growing for the most part. In 5 and 6 it became them expanding tile by tile and that's what makes the map so loving empty.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's kinda silly how long colonising empty land takes for humanity in general in Civ games. Alexander didn't gain his empire through peacefully sending Macedonian settlers out into Persia - basically anywhere that's suitable for humans to live in pretty much had someone living there from a very early time.

In reality, travelling to an empty land with no humans in it was the preserve of prehistoric man and Victorian-era explorers finding remote islands, not something that continued from 4000 BC -> 2000 AD.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
There definitely needs to be some sort of acceleration of settling in the ancient era to set the stage for a vicious tug-of-war of settled territories for the remaining eras, I think.

Alternatively the game could make a "head start" and begin not with a settler, but with 2 or 3 settlements already present and a decent amount of land already captured in each city's territory. That might be too big a shift from Civ's formula though.

persopolis
Mar 9, 2017

There definitely needs to be some sort of acceleration of settling in the ancient era to set the stage for a vicious tug-of-war of settled territories for the remaining eras, I think.

Alternatively the game could make a "head start" and begin not with a settler, but with 2 or 3 settlements already present and a decent amount of land already captured in each city's territory. That might be too big a shift from Civ's formula though.

To be fair, so were 1 unit per tile and districts.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

IMO:

- Make culture claim tiles quicker so new cities aren't useless puddles of crap unless you dump gold on them
- Allow us to choose which tile culture goes towards claiming (with varying costs depending on resources/features/improvements)
- Make internal trade routes generate culture if going from a city making less to a city generating more
- Drop down the per-city penalties on costs of things
- Get rid of the "settlers remove 1 pop" thing
- Allow direct culture contests over tiles between players
- Have some techs that either start new cities with more pop, or greatly reduce growth time for any city that isn't one of your 3 largest, or something, to make later game settling viable

and as ever, expand diplomacy.

Specifically I want a Threaten button which tells the AI "I will go to war over this if you don't comply" when it comes to asking them not to settle near me or convert cities or whatever. Give it a warmonger reduction if they violate the request within however many turns. But then warmongering needs an overhaul too.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

I don't really understand these changes, does ICS need to be stronger in 6? I feel like the game already leans too far in this direction since there's no penalty for filling every square inch of the world with shitties.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Mata posted:

I don't really understand these changes, does ICS need to be stronger in 6? I feel like the game already leans too far in this direction since there's no penalty for filling every square inch of the world with shitties.

I mean, the aim was to stop the vast gulfs of empty space on the map, so... yes? If people aren't expanding it's because they can't, don't need to, or it's an active detriment to them.

Also catchup bonuses for new settlements would make more of the cities less lovely.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Founding a new city in an later era should be like when you use Advanced Start.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

- Get rid of the "settlers remove 1 pop" thing

civ 5 did this (6 too?), they just freeze pop growth now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I mean, the aim was to stop the vast gulfs of empty space on the map, so... yes? If people aren't expanding it's because they can't, don't need to, or it's an active detriment to them.

Also catchup bonuses for new settlements would make more of the cities less lovely.

Civ4 managed to allow you to not expand because you couldn't be bothered but ALSO have the map get covered by borders.
Again, it's because the border expands in a circle outwards instead of bit by bit.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Byzantine posted:

Founding a new city in an later era should be like when you use Advanced Start.

Yeah, the Vox Populi mod for Civ 5 did this by having there be more advanced versions of the Settler unit which gave you larger cities with more buildings initially constructed.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It was in by default in Call To Power 2 (no idea about the first game) as an urban planner you unlocked in the modern age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Settlers are too expensive and I don't see any point in scaling costs either. The early game should be a land grab.